[GNC] Investment account import

Joseph Vernice
I have a Schwab account that contains a number of stock investments.  I
can't figure out how to import the investment transactions into the
account that I setup.

There doesn't seem to be any means of setting the Symbol column in GC.
Do I need to setup a sub-account for each stock symbol? If so, that can
get really crazy since I own more than 50 different stocks.

Thank you,
Joseph

Re: [GNC] Investment account import

GnuCash - User mailing list
Joseph,
Each stock will have its own account. That's just how it works. Setup can be tedious, but it's not difficult once it's set up. I have many more commodity accounts than you (many of them closed out), and I do not find it troublesome.
David

  On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 20:10, Joseph Vernice<[hidden email]> wrote:   I have a Schwab account that contains a number of stock investments.  I
can't figure out how to import the investment transactions into the
account that I setup.

There doesn't seem to be any means of setting the Symbol column in GC.
Do I need to setup a sub-account for each stock symbol? If so, that can
get really crazy since I own more than 50 different stocks.

Thank you,
Joseph

Re: [GNC] Investment account import

Joseph Vernice
Thank you, David.  I do have many more securities as well. I was just
talking about a single account.  I guess I'll just bite the bullet.

Do you have the being rolled up into a parent account or are they each a
top level account?

Thanks,
Joseph

On 3/27/2019 10:58 AM, David T. wrote:

> Joseph,
>
> Each stock will have its own account. That's just how it works. Setup
> can be tedious, but it's not difficult once it's set up. I have many
> more commodity accounts than you (many of them closed out), and I do
> not find it troublesome.
>
> David
>

>     On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 20:10, Joseph Vernice
>     <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     I have a Schwab account that contains a number of stock
>     investments.  I
>     can't figure out how to import the investment transactions into the
>     account that I setup.
>
>     There doesn't seem to be any means of setting the Symbol column in
>     GC.
>     Do I need to setup a sub-account for each stock symbol? If so,
>     that can
>     get really crazy since I own more than 50 different stocks.
>
>     Thank you,
>     Joseph

>     If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>     https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>     <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists >for more information.
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: [GNC] Investment account import

My hierarchy is rather deep; my investment (commodity) accounts are down several levels. Assets:Investments:Taxable:David:Schwab:AAPL for example. Another example might be Assets:Investments:Untaxed:David:IRA:Regular IRA:Schwab:AAPL

This means that my accounts will show separate holdings of Apple--one in each account. There is no way I have found to track on the one hand the holdings in each account while in the other aggregating all the different account holdings, as presented here.

For what it's worth, you may find it helpful to create _income_ accounts that match your different Schwab accounts--that is, (in my case) Income:Dividends:Taxable:David:Schwab. I adopted this some years back, matching the tax statements I received. Dividends are entered into the parent account, identified by the ticker symbol, e.g, "AAPL dividend" balanced against this generic income account. This does not allow you to track individual stock performance, but it does simplify tax prep.

Best,
David

<[hidden email]> wrote:

I have a Schwab account that contains a number of stock investments.  I

can't figure out how to import the investment transactions into the

account that I setup.

There doesn't seem to be any means of setting the Symbol column in GC.

Do I need to setup a sub-account for each stock symbol? If so, that can

get really crazy since I own more than 50 different stocks.

Thank you,

Joseph

Re: [GNC] Investment account import

Derek Atkins-3

Joseph Vernice <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thank you, David.  I do have many more securities as well. I was just
> talking about a single account.  I guess I'll just bite the bullet.
>
> Do you have the being rolled up into a parent account or are they each
> a top level account?

Generally it would be something like:

Assets:Current Assets:<Brokerage>:<Stock ...>

So each of the stock accounts would be a child of the brokerage.

You should never have top-level accounts!  :)

> Thanks,
> Joseph

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745