[GNC] Investment Accounts

GnuCash - User mailing list

I am in need of help with a new investment account I created. Everything seems right except the totals.I created an account under investments named brokerage.Under brokerage I created a sub account named spaxxI entered transactions and the account spaxx has the correct total displayed.the brokerage account is 0the asset account has a value that is almost correct but missing the value of the spaxx account.
My retirement account is correct in all values and I set up the brokerage account using the retirement account values for the account setup. ( I used edit account to verify set up)
Any Ideas as to why the total values are incorrect?
Thanks in advance.

Re: [GNC] Investment Accounts

David Cousens
How did you set up the Investment account?
Did you use the Action->New Account Heriarchy and select investment accounts
for setup or did you set them up manually?

See https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_invest.html

Is the Investments account of type Asset? Is the parent Account the top
level Asset account?
Is your Brokerage account of type Bank? Is the parent account Investments?
Is the account spaxx of type stock or mutual fund? Is it's parent account
Brokerage?

Which totals are you referring to, in the Accounts tab or in a report?

Re: [GNC] Investment Accounts

Nathanial Jones
SPAXX is just the fund that Fidelity puts your cash balance into. I just
treat it as cash and ignore the fact that it's actually a mutual fund. It's
not worth the hassle of making a sale transaction to make an actual
purchase.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019, 3:11 PM David Cousens <[hidden email] wrote:

> How did you set up the Investment account?
> Did you use the Action->New Account Heriarchy and select investment
> accounts
> for setup or did you set them up manually?
>
> See https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_invest.html
>
> Is the Investments account of type Asset? Is the parent Account the top
> level Asset account?
> Is your Brokerage account of type Bank? Is the parent account Investments?
> Is the account spaxx of type stock or mutual fund? Is it's parent account
> Brokerage?
>
> Which totals are you referring to, in the Accounts tab or in a report?
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] Investment Accounts

David Carlson-4
David A,

David Cousens just listed all the things that could be trouble sources as
far as the setup of the account hierarchy is concerned.  From your original
message you have already verified most or all of those configurations
issues. You can review all of this in chapter 9 of the tutorial.

I am going to start with the next step which is the creation of the
purchase transactions and entry of prices into the price database.

I notice that SPAAX is a money market fund that is a special case.  It has
a special security type [mmf] at Finance.Yahoo for example because it
supposedly always has the same price $1.00 per share. GnuCash however does
not make a distinction.

When you set up SPAXX there were two steps. One is creating the SPAXX
[mutual fund] security account and the other is creating the sub-account
under the custodial brokerage account actually held at that broker on your
behalf. After you have completed both steps you can use the security editor
to review the properties of the security and the price editor where you can
review the price per share on various dates.  Both of these editors are
only accessible through the Tools menu.  For money market funds there is
not much to see but if you have many securities the need for these editors
becomes apparent.

After you have made a purchase transaction in the SPAAX account under the
brokerage account it should show the number of shares for each transaction
and a total number of shares you currently own, not a dollar amount.  This
will be apparent in your chart of accounts view.  You do not need to run a
report to see that.

David Carlson

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 2:45 PM Nathanial Jones <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> SPAXX is just the fund that Fidelity puts your cash balance into. I just
> treat it as cash and ignore the fact that it's actually a mutual fund. It's
> not worth the hassle of making a sale transaction to make an actual
> purchase.
>
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019, 3:11 PM David Cousens <[hidden email]
> wrote:
>
> > How did you set up the Investment account?
> > Did you use the Action->New Account Heriarchy and select investment
> > accounts
> > for setup or did you set them up manually?
> >
> > See https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_invest.html
> >
> > Is the Investments account of type Asset? Is the parent Account the top
> > level Asset account?
> > Is your Brokerage account of type Bank? Is the parent account
> Investments?
> > Is the account spaxx of type stock or mutual fund? Is it's parent account
> > Brokerage?
> >
> > Which totals are you referring to, in the Accounts tab or in a report?
> >
> > David Cousens
> >

> > -----
> > David Cousens
> > --
> > Sent from:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Investment Accounts

The totals for any account should reflect the totals of transactions to any
subaccounts + the total of transactions to the account itself. I am not
seeing any deviation from that behaviour in my personal  accounts for
superannuation funds which are also simply setup as asset accounts not as a
formal invsetment account ( V3.4 on Linux Mint Tara) or in general.

Settings like Placeholder status shouldn't affect the totals, but
placeholder being set for example only prevents transactions to the account
once it is set as a placeholder. Any existing transactions are not
necessarily removed when the placeholder status is set.

That was really why i was asking about the parent account settings. This
will control where the account sums to. Not sure how the account type
affects summation into a parent account though. My experience is that the
New Account dialog restricts your choice of the account types based on the
setting of the parent account and it's type, but that that restriction may
still allow some choices which should not occur formally.

i haven't experimented a lot with what happens when you set an accounts type
before choosing the parent account which has an incompatible type for
example. But if you take a type Asset account and change its parent to an
account of type Liability, the account type of that account remains as Asset
and is not automatically changed to be a Liability account.  If it were to
be changed under such a change, you have to look carefully at how existing
transactions are handled and whether they should change.

That could have some interesting effects for summation into that Liability
account depending upon how GnuCash is actually programmed to handle that
situation. I haven't examined the code in that area but from an accounting
perspective, I would expect the following behavior. An asset account which
has a debit balance summing into a liability account which has a credit
balance should have its total subtracted from the total of the liability
account not added. I cannot think of a circumstance in formal accounting
where an asset account could or should be an subaccount of a liability
account or vice versa with similar restrictions on equity accounts, but
GnuCash does not seem to enforce any such restrictions formally in all
circumstances, at this time, particularly when the account type of an
account is changed when there are existing transcactions to that account.