[GNC] Importing AR invoices

Teresa
We are just getting started in GNUCash, we are using another system for
invoicing.

I have tried several times to import invoices from Jan 1, each time has
failed.

Please provide the column layout, we invoice up to 75 recurring invoices
monthly, that include one of 5 IT products that are loaded in GNUCash.

  I really need this to work.

Thank you

--

Teresa Slack

Senior Client Manager

*_Coba Enterprise Management, LLC_*

3620 Pelham Road, PMB 107

Greenville, SC 29615

Office: 864.343.8017 x 5

Cell:    864.525.3633

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Coba-EM.com <http://coba-em.com/>

/NOTICE TO RECIPIENTS: The information contained in and accompanying
this communication may be confidential, subject to legal privilege, or
otherwise protected from disclosure, and is intended solely for the use
of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient of
this communication, please delete and destroy all copies in your
possession, notify sender that you have received this communication in
error, and note that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of
any action in reliance on, this communication is expressly prohibited.
Email messages may contain computer viruses or other defects, may not be
accurately replicated on other systems, or may be intercepted, deleted
or interfered with without the knowledge of the sender or the intended
recipient. Coba Enterprise Management, LLC makes no warranties in
relation to these matters. Please note that Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC reserves the right to intercept, monitor, and retain email messages
to and from its systems as permitted by applicable law. If you are not
comfortable with the risks associated with e-mail messages, you may
decide not to use email to communicate with Coba Enterprise Management,
LLC. /

Re: [GNC] Importing AR invoices

Adrien Monteleone-2
Teresa,

Welcome to GnuCash!

Read over the Tutorial & Concepts Guide, Chapter 18:Importing Business Data.

If your Help menu doesn’t link to it (it should) you can find it on GnuCash.org under Documentation.

The column headers and explanation for each of invoices/bills and customers/vendors is included.

> On Apr 1, 2019, at 10:55 AM, Teresa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are just getting started in GNUCash, we are using another system for invoicing.
>
> I have tried several times to import invoices from Jan 1, each time has failed.
>
> Please provide the column layout, we invoice up to 75 recurring invoices monthly, that include one of 5 IT products that are loaded in GNUCash.
>
>  I really need this to work.
>
> Thank you
>
> --
>
> Teresa Slack

Re: [GNC] Importing AR invoices

Teresa

In addition to the documentation if you open the import invoice dialog you
will see the column headers displayed in the dialog window. These basically
correspond to the data which constitutes the invoice record ( and associated
transaction). These can be matched up to the columns and associated headers
of the invoices you are importing. Not all fields need to be filled.Things
like the billing id and owner_id refer to internal guid's in the GnuCash
data structures.

Re: [GNC] Importing AR invoices

Teresa,

I forgot to mention, GnuCash has no facility to store ‘products’ or ’service offerings’ or any kind of ‘inventory’. You just create your own invoice line items each time. But the software does utilize auto-fill based on previous entries. So you can start typing a line item description and it will fill in the rest based on a previous entry as well as other line item info like income account, discounts, quantity, pricing, tax etc.

If the invoices are exact (or even near) duplicates, you can use the Duplicate Invoice button as a starting point and edit accordingly.

> On Apr 1, 2019, at 10:55 AM, Teresa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  we invoice up to 75 recurring invoices monthly, that include one of 5 IT products that are loaded in GNUCash.

Re: [GNC] Importing AR invoices

Adrien Monteleone-2
If you’re doing manual entries (or importing the invoices as regular transactions instead of as invoices) you determine the accounts posted to so assign the splits as you wish, manually after the import or adding that info to the CSV.

I’d recommend going to the View menu and switching to Transaction Journal mode. (and optionally turn on Double Line mode as well which displays a ’note’ field for the entire transaction so you aren’t limited to only the memos fields on the splits)

This will always show all split information so you can see all debits and credits for each transaction. It helps to be able to follow exactly which accounts are involved.

Note, how you have this setup here and how this would work with manual entries (typed in or imported) is that the A/R sub-accounts will show $0 if all invoices have been collected on. They won’t show you how much has been paid, but how much is still owed. (if anything)

The signs of the figures you show in this screenshot are backwards for the A/R accounts. This looks like the company owes that money to someone, not that someone else owes the company. A/R is an asset because it is revenue earned, but not yet collected. Once collected it is accounted for in whatever account it was paid into. (Cash, Checking, etc.)

If you have outstanding invoices you haven’t collected on, A/R should be positive. If someone pre-paid or overpaid, that would be a credit to A/R.

Textbook invoice transaction:

Dr. Assets:Accounts Receivable
Cr. Income:Sales

It looks like you have the preference for Reversed Balance Accounts set to ’None’ and this is your transaction entry:

Dr. Income:Sales
Cr. Assets:Accounts Receivable

—which is backwards.