[GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

[GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

DaveW
Running Ubuntu 18.04.  GNC version 2.6.19.

Whereas GNC remembers previous account allocation on my Mastercard.
Importing from my recently new AMEX credit card, the system doesn't
remember the account allocation even for exactly the same transaction
multiple times previously booked.

How to fix, please?

Dave W

Re: [GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

John Ralls

> On Dec 3, 2018, at 6:06 AM, David wasserman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Running Ubuntu 18.04.  GNC version 2.6.19.
>
> Whereas GNC remembers previous account allocation on my Mastercard.
> Importing from my recently new AMEX credit card, the system doesn't
> remember the account allocation even for exactly the same transaction
> multiple times previously booked.
>
> How to fix, please?

Keep importing. It takes several runs of the importer to build up enough matching data to generate matches, and it’s runs of the matcher that matter, not the number of transactions in an import.

John Ralls <[hidden email]> writes:

>> On Dec 3, 2018, at 6:06 AM, David wasserman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Running Ubuntu 18.04.  GNC version 2.6.19.
>>
>> Whereas GNC remembers previous account allocation on my Mastercard.
>> Importing from my recently new AMEX credit card, the system doesn't
>> remember the account allocation even for exactly the same transaction
>> multiple times previously booked.
>>
>> How to fix, please?
>
> Keep importing. It takes several runs of the importer to build up
> enough matching data to generate matches, and it’s runs of the matcher
> that matter, not the number of transactions in an import.

Keep in mind that the QIF importer matches on FULL LINES.  If there is
even a single character different in the Payee or Memo then the QIF
importer will consider it different.

Re: [GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

DaveW
On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 19:13:53 -0500
Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Ralls <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> >> On Dec 3, 2018, at 6:06 AM, David wasserman
> >> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Running Ubuntu 18.04.  GNC version 2.6.19.
> >>
> >> Whereas GNC remembers previous account allocation on my Mastercard.
> >> Importing from my recently new AMEX credit card, the system doesn't
> >> remember the account allocation even for exactly the same
> >> transaction multiple times previously booked.
> >>
> >> How to fix, please?
> >
> > Keep importing. It takes several runs of the importer to build up
> > enough matching data to generate matches, and it’s runs of the
> > matcher that matter, not the number of transactions in an import.
>
> Keep in mind that the QIF importer matches on FULL LINES.  If there is
> even a single character different in the Payee or Memo then the QIF
> importer will consider it different.

Ongoing . . . . .

I have now been through 8 monthly iterations of my newer Amex qif
importations.  Still no auto account allocation generation as
suggested will eventually occur. (Yet my long-term Mastercard
account .qif downloads continue to import and allocate correctly.)

In my frenetic searching, I find this file: /.gnucash/qif-accounts-map.
It seems to be the memory source of previous transaction.  It's a long
file that obviously has followed me over the years.  In it I recognise
that, typically, the Mastercard allocations Line Description has
the correct account allocation recorded.

So I searched a recent Amex transaction that has twice previously been
manually corrected from "Unspecified" to it's correct Expense account
yet this is what is recorded inter alia:
("ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER SUTHERLAND" "ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER
SUTHERLAND" (9 8 0 3 4 2 11 12 5 6) #f "Unspecified" #f #t).

Sorry about the long preamble. ):

*1. Once designated "Unspecified" how/when, and by what means, does the
correct allocation be recorded?
*2. Is there a difference between manual correction while in QIF
Download mode and after Import has been completed?
*3. What do the numerals and #'s mean?
*4. Shall I upload the said qif-accounts-map file for you?

> [...]

that, typically, the Mastercard allocations Line Description has
the correct account allocation recorded.

So I searched a recent Amex transaction that has twice previously been
manually corrected from "Unspecified" to it's correct Expense account
yet this is what is recorded inter alia:
("ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER SUTHERLAND" "ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER
SUTHERLAND" (9 8 0 3 4 2 11 12 5 6) #f "Unspecified" #f #t).

Sorry about the long preamble. ):

*1. Once designated "Unspecified" how/when, and by what means, does the
correct allocation be recorded?
*2. Is there a difference between manual correction while in QIF
Download mode and after Import has been completed?
*3. What do the numerals and #'s mean?
*4. Shall I upload the said qif-accounts-map file for you?

Dave W

Re: [GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

David Carlson-4
Dave W,

Once is enough with the duplicated messages.  The previous responses by
John and Derek seemed to cover your concerns but since you are asking for
elaboration, I as an experienced user can answer your questions #1 & #2.
The QIF Import wizard in the GnuCash Releases 2.6.21 and earlier assign the
unspecified account when there is not enough history detected by the
Bayesian matcher to assign an existing account to a transaction.  The user
must monitor the import and correct those transactions during the import
process as well as catching and correcting any other assignment errors
arising from similar transactions in the history before accepting the
assignments in the import.  Since each financial institution structures
their descriptions somewhat differently, it sometimes takes much more
history to get better accuracy with the matching.  Even after many years
using the OFX importer, I still get frequent mis-assignments between
gasoline purchases and restaurant purchases in one of my bank accounts.  In
my experience, the OFX import wizard historically has given me better
results than the QIF importer, and I have few accounts that do not offer
OFX format.

To make things more interesting, the 3.x release series has the importers
re-configured to work differently so that it is, as a practical matter,
necessary to start over with matching once you have migrated to that
release series.  The bright side of that change is that it should work
better fairly quickly, and best of all, it will be easier to purge out bad
history when needed.

I cannot answer your questions #3 and #4.

David C

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018 at 11:29 PM DaveW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Dec 2018 19:13:53 -0500
> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> > > Keep importing. It takes several runs of the importer to build up
> > > enough matching data to generate matches, and it’s runs of the
> > > matcher that matter, not the number of transactions in an import.
> >
> > Keep in mind that the QIF importer matches on FULL LINES.  If there is
> > even a single character different in the Payee or Memo then the QIF
> > importer will consider it different.

> > -derek
>
> Ongoing . . . . .
>
> I have now been through 8 monthly iterations of my newer Amex qif
> importations.  Still no auto account allocation generation as
> suggested will eventually occur. (Yet my long-term Mastercard
> account .qif downloads continue to import and allocate correctly.)
>
> In my frenetic searching, I find this file: /.gnucash/qif-accounts-map.
> It seems to be the memory source of previous transaction.  It's a long
> file that obviously has followed me over the years.  In it I recognise
> that, typically, the Mastercard allocations Line Description has
> the correct account allocation recorded.
>
> So I searched a recent Amex transaction that has twice previously been
> manually corrected from "Unspecified" to it's correct Expense account
> yet this is what is recorded inter alia:
> ("ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER SUTHERLAND" "ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER
> SUTHERLAND" (9 8 0 3 4 2 11 12 5 6) #f "Unspecified" #f #t).
>
> Sorry about the long preamble. ):
>
> *1. Once designated "Unspecified" how/when, and by what means, does the
> correct allocation be recorded?
> *2. Is there a difference between manual correction while in QIF
> Download mode and after Import has been completed?
> *3. What do the numerals and #'s mean?
> *4. Shall I upload the said qif-accounts-map file for you?
>
> Dave W

Re: [GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

DaveW
David C

I apologise for the duplicated messages.  (I was troubled by the
fact that I saw no evidence in the List that my message was
properly sent.  Even now, I don't seem to be receiving my gnu-cash
user copies from the List?  Be that as it may, I regret the nuisance
value of my emailing dilemma.)

Thank you very much for the very helpful comments you provided.  I now
understand it is imperative to make/correct the account assignment
during the wizard process.  (As an aside, that the wizard doesn't show
the $ amount on the  appropriate page, often makes it difficult to
recall where the transaction belongs.  Just by way of comment.)

All of that said, it seems that I should await, or install, version 3.x

Thank you again Dave and a Happy New Year to you and this user group.
It is an excellent facility.

Dave W

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 02:56:05 -0600
David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > allocation recorded.
> >
> > So I searched a recent Amex transaction that has twice previously
> > been manually corrected from "Unspecified" to it's correct Expense
> > account yet this is what is recorded inter alia:
> > ("ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER SUTHERLAND" "ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER
> > SUTHERLAND" (9 8 0 3 4 2 11 12 5 6) #f "Unspecified" #f #t).
> >
> > Sorry about the long preamble. ):
> >
> > *1. Once designated "Unspecified" how/when, and by what means, does
> > the correct allocation be recorded?
> > *2. Is there a difference between manual correction while in QIF
> > Download mode and after Import has been completed?
> > *3. What do the numerals and #'s mean?
> > *4. Shall I upload the said qif-accounts-map file for you?
> >
> > Dave W

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

Adrien Monteleone-2
DaveW,

As noted earlier, receiving copies of your own messages is a preference you can set. It defaults to ’no’ because many people keep copies of their own sent mail, thus our mail clients thread our sent messages into the conversation where they belong. (when using thread or conversation view features of mail clients, otherwise a check of the ’sent’ folder will show it.) If you either don’t keep your own sent mail, or want to get another copy from the list anyway, simply log in to mailman and set that preference.

If you just occasionally want to make sure one of your postings made it to the list, you can check the web archive and see it there.

If your message fails at the server level, you’ll get a bounce message.

If it is held for moderation, (such as accidentally sending from a different account) you’ll get an automated reply to that effect.

> [...]
>>>
>>> So I searched a recent Amex transaction that has twice previously
>>> been manually corrected from "Unspecified" to it's correct Expense
>>> account yet this is what is recorded inter alia:
>>> ("ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER SUTHERLAND" "ROMEO S FOODHALL SUTHER
>>> SUTHERLAND" (9 8 0 3 4 2 11 12 5 6) #f "Unspecified" #f #t).
>>>
>>> Sorry about the long preamble. ):
>>>
>>> *1. Once designated "Unspecified" how/when, and by what means, does
>>> the correct allocation be recorded?
>>> *2. Is there a difference between manual correction while in QIF
>>> Download mode and after Import has been completed?
>>> *3. What do the numerals and #'s mean?
>>> *4. Shall I upload the said qif-accounts-map file for you?
>>>
>>> Dave W

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Import qif does not remember account allocation.

Thank you Adrien.  That was useful information.

Happy New Year,

DaveW