[GNC] Imbalance-

Hmm

[GNC] Imbalance-

Hmm
I have just installed GnuCash and I am importing Quicken (QFX) files from my
bank (chequing, savings, credit cards etc.) and I have a separate account
name for Imbalance.

How can I delete this or prevent it from populating in the future whenever I
download transactions?

Thanks

Re: [GNC] Imbalance-

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 7, 2018, at 4:42 PM, Hmm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have just installed GnuCash and I am importing Quicken (QFX) files from my
> bank (chequing, savings, credit cards etc.) and I have a separate account
> name for Imbalance.
>
> How can I delete this or prevent it from populating in the future whenever I
> download transactions?

Stop skipping the matcher. Import in small batches--one month at a time is a good size--to train the matcher. After you’ve imported enough batches the matcher should be matching most of your transactions by itself, at which point you can make the batch size larger.

Re: [GNC] Imbalance-

Thomas Forrester
The "Imbalance" account is used when GnuCash knows where one side of the
transaction is going, but not the other.  That's actually a pretty helpful
catch-all account for when GnuCash has undistributed amounts.  During the
import, you can specify the other side of the transaction on the screen
that lists all the transactions found in your bank download.  GnuCash will
try to automatch based upon previous transactions that appear to be the
same as one just downloaded, but may have found something completely new,
or not yet figured out what to do with a transaction.  In particular, look
for the ones marked "New, Unbalanced...".  You can double click the entry
and tell GnuCash where the other side of the transaction should go.

You can delete the account, I suppose, but I think GnuCash would just
recreate it next time it finds it needs it.  It's a necessary account since
GnuCash has to have somewhere to put unbalanced amounts.  The goal
shouldn't be to eliminate it, but keep it at a zero balance since a
non-zero balance indicates a problem with a transaction somewhere.  It's a
red flag account.  Preventing it from populating requires making sure all
transactions have corresponding debit and credit accounts (totalling to the
same amount if split).