[GNC] IRC access

David Carlson-4
It seems that the IRC channel has changed and now I need a voice.  How do I
do that?

--
David Carlson

Re: [GNC] IRC access

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

On Tue, March 5, 2019 2:31 pm, David Carlson wrote:
> It seems that the IRC channel has changed and now I need a voice.  How do
> do that?

If you read the topic when you join the channel, it specifically says:

* Topic for #gnucash is: Free GPL Personal and Small Business Accounting
|| Moderated mode: To get a voice, register with NickServ and then
re-join. || Please don't ask to ask, just ask and wait! (Possibly a few
hours!!) || publicly-logged channel || latest stable: 3.4 ||
www.gnucash.org || wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] IRC access

David Carlson-4
I use Pidgin and I cannot figure out how to register with the nickserv.  I
enter

/server irc.gnome.org

  and nothing happens

--
David Carlson

Re: [GNC] IRC access

John Ralls
LMGTFY: http://deadlytechnology.com/linux/irc-on-ubuntu/

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 11:50 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use Pidgin and I cannot figure out how to register with the nickserv.  I
> enter
>
> /server irc.gnome.org
>
>  and nothing happens
>

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 1:40 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, March 5, 2019 2:31 pm, David Carlson wrote:
>>> It seems that the IRC channel has changed and now I need a voice.  How do
>>> do that?
>>
>> If you read the topic when you join the channel, it specifically says:
>>
>> * Topic for #gnucash is: Free GPL Personal and Small Business Accounting
>> re-join. || Please don't ask to ask, just ask and wait! (Possibly a few
>> hours!!) || publicly-logged channel || latest stable: 3.4 ||
>> www.gnucash.org || wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/

>> -derek
>> --
>>       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
>>

> --
> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] IRC access

Derek Atkins-3
/msg nickserv help register

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] IRC access

That looks like what I need.  Could that link and perhaps more for other
clients be added to the GnuCash faq for IRC access, probably in section on
client setup with a reference by the section about getting a voice.

David Carlson

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019, 1:56 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> LMGTFY: http://deadlytechnology.com/linux/irc-on-ubuntu/

> > On Mar 5, 2019, at 11:50 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I use Pidgin and I cannot figure out how to register with the nickserv.
> > enter
> >
> > /server irc.gnome.org
> >
> >  and nothing happens
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 1:40 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> do
> >>
> >> If you read the topic when you join the channel, it specifically says:
> >>
> >> * Topic for #gnucash is: Free GPL Personal and Small Business Accounting
> >> re-join. || Please don't ask to ask, just ask and wait! (Possibly a few
> >> hours!!) || publicly-logged channel || latest stable: 3.4 ||
> >> www.gnucash.org || wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/

> >> -derek
> >> --
> >>       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
> >>       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
> >>       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
> >>

> > --
> > David Carlson

Re: [GNC] IRC access

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Am 05.03.19 um 20:56 schrieb John Ralls:
> LMGTFY: http://deadlytechnology.com/linux/irc-on-ubuntu/

or read (and improve) the wiki ;.)
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC#Usage

~Frank

Re: [GNC] IRC access

John Ralls

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 8:01 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 05.03.19 um 20:56 schrieb John Ralls:
>> LMGTFY: http://deadlytechnology.com/linux/irc-on-ubuntu/
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>
> or read (and improve) the wiki ;.)
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC#Usage

I don't think it's reasonable or practical to replicate all of mankind's knowledge in our Wiki. It makes sense that we include information about GnuCash itself. It does not make sense to document every random piece of software that some user may use to communicate with us, particularly if that documentation is readily available on the web.

Re: [GNC] IRC access

GnuCash - User mailing list
I agree. It would be appropriate to have brief information related to gnucash on IRC, with pointers to official resources.
90% of the content in the current page should go. The introductory paragraph followed by the server, channel, and link to IRC download and help pages should be it.
David T.

  On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:18, John Ralls<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 8:01 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 05.03.19 um 20:56 schrieb John Ralls:
>> LMGTFY: http://deadlytechnology.com/linux/irc-on-ubuntu/
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>
> or read (and improve) the wiki ;.)
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC#Usage

I don't think it's reasonable or practical to replicate all of mankind's knowledge in our Wiki. It makes sense that we include information about GnuCash itself. It does not make sense to document every random piece of software that some user may use to communicate with us, particularly if that documentation is readily available on the web.

Re: [GNC] IRC access

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
I am  pretty sure the section can be slenderized.

You have both not been there, when the attack was waging. I watched lags
of several minutes between sending a commnd and seeing its execution.
That is the reason why I copied the very first help screens.

After setting the moderation flag on the channel, my worst case scenario
was a user, who fears he lost his data and can now additionally not ask
in the channel.

Probably a more user friendly structure might be:

Just try the link irc://...
If successful continue with "register a nick"
else install a client, see lists, and retry....

with the definitions, where required.

~Frank

Am 06.03.19 um 08:00 schrieb David T.:

> I agree. It would be appropriate to have brief information related to gnucash on IRC, with pointers to official resources.
> 90% of the content in the current page should go. The introductory paragraph followed by the server, channel, and link to IRC download and help pages should be it.
> David T.
>

>   On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:18, John Ralls<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 5, 2019, at 8:01 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 05.03.19 um 20:56 schrieb John Ralls:
>>> LMGTFY: http://deadlytechnology.com/linux/irc-on-ubuntu/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>
>> or read (and improve) the wiki ;.)
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC#Usage
>
> I don't think it's reasonable or practical to replicate all of mankind's knowledge in our Wiki. It makes sense that we include information about GnuCash itself. It does not make sense to document every random piece of software that some user may use to communicate with us, particularly if that documentation is readily available on the web.

Re: [GNC] IRC access

David Carlson-4
I like the idea of making the page more useful to persons like me who have
no idea how IRC works yet without 'bloat' or information beyond links to a
few good outside sources for details beyond basics that is needed to start
using the #GnuCash channel.

I know that another thing I would like to know is how to address in-channel
comments to others so that when more than one person is commenting I can
address one of them easily without manually typing their nick-name every
time.  It looks like the seasoned users have a trick that I haven't
learned.  I do not use IRC for any other purpose than asking questions
about GnuCash, so I do not practice in channels for other topics, and I
suspect most other GnuCash users that happen by are also not heavy IRC
users.

David Carlson

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 5:03 AM Frank H. Ellenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am  pretty sure the section can be slenderized.
>
> You have both not been there, when the attack was waging. I watched lags
> of several minutes between sending a commnd and seeing its execution.
> That is the reason why I copied the very first help screens.
>
> After setting the moderation flag on the channel, my worst case scenario
> was a user, who fears he lost his data and can now additionally not ask
> in the channel.
>
> Probably a more user friendly structure might be:
>
> Just try the link irc://...
> If successful continue with "register a nick"
> else install a client, see lists, and retry....
>
> with the definitions, where required.
>
> ~Frank
>
> Am 06.03.19 um 08:00 schrieb David T.:
> > I agree. It would be appropriate to have brief information related to
> gnucash on IRC, with pointers to official resources.
> > 90% of the content in the current page should go. The introductory
> paragraph followed by the server, channel, and link to IRC download and
> help pages should be it.
> > David T.
> >

> >   On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 10:18, John Ralls<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mar 5, 2019, at 8:01 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> >> or read (and improve) the wiki ;.)
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC#Usage
> >
> > I don't think it's reasonable or practical to replicate all of mankind's
> knowledge in our Wiki. It makes sense that we include information about
> GnuCash itself. It does not make sense to document every random piece of
> software that some user may use to communicate with us, particularly if
> that documentation is readily available on the web.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] IRC access

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
So you are the ideal candidate to do the fine polishing of the page. ;-)

Am 06.03.19 um 13:25 schrieb David Carlson:

> I like the idea of making the page more useful to persons like me who have
> no idea how IRC works yet without 'bloat' or information beyond links to a
> few good outside sources for details beyond basics that is needed to start
> using the #GnuCash channel.
>
> I know that another thing I would like to know is how to address in-channel
> comments to others so that when more than one person is commenting I can
> address one of them easily without manually typing their nick-name every
> time.  It looks like the seasoned users have a trick that I haven't
> learned.  I do not use IRC for any other purpose than asking questions
> about GnuCash, so I do not practice in channels for other topics, and I
> suspect most other GnuCash users that happen by are also not heavy IRC
> users.

It depends on your client: if text based, just copy&paste. In a GUI
might be a user list, where you can right click a person to do something
specific with her.

> David Carlson

~Frank