[GNC] I can no longer connect to mysql after upgrading to Debian Buster

[GNC] I can no longer connect to mysql after upgrading to Debian Buster

sepp
Hi

Sorry, I do not even know if this belongs here but I am a little lost

I am a happy GnuCash user for years and have used Mysql as a backend for
quite some time. Now I upraded Debian from Stretch to Buster and can no
longer connect to the Mysql Database. Yes I can connect in the shel using
the same credentials ...

1st "Gnucash caould obtainm the lock for mysql://...
When I select Open Anyway I get a message Unable to save to databse with the
option cancel. Selecting cancel just reproduces the message so I have to
kill it from the shell
When I select Open RO -> Unable to save to database. Book is marked
read-only. Close option just reproduces the message - again killing in the
shell
Gnucash Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)

any advice is very much apreciated

Thank you kind regards
Sepp

Re: [GNC] I can no longer connect to mysql after upgrading to Debian Buster

Colin Law
Have a look in the gnucash trace file and see if there is anything
helpful there.

Colin

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 09:48, sepp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Sorry, I do not even know if this belongs here but I am a little lost
>
> I am a happy GnuCash user for years and have used Mysql as a backend for
> quite some time. Now I upraded Debian from Stretch to Buster and can no
> longer connect to the Mysql Database. Yes I can connect in the shel using
> the same credentials ...
>
> 1st "Gnucash caould obtainm the lock for mysql://...
> When I select Open Anyway I get a message Unable to save to databse with the
> option cancel. Selecting cancel just reproduces the message so I have to
> kill it from the shell
> When I select Open RO -> Unable to save to database. Book is marked
> read-only. Close option just reproduces the message - again killing in the
> shell
> Gnucash Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)
>
> any advice is very much apreciated
>
> Thank you kind regards
> Sepp

Re: [GNC] I can no longer connect to mysql after upgrading to Debian Buster

sepp
Thank you Colin,

It seems the database was somehow corrupted.
I compiled 2.6.21 from source that was able to read the database but not
write.
Save as xml, open with the buster version (3.4), save into mysql as new
database and all good.

sorry to bother you

kind regards
Sepp

Re: [GNC] I can no longer connect to mysql after upgrading to Debian Buster

The lock message means GnuCash crashed or was not properly shut down.

While you can bypass this for XML and Sqlite with "Open Anyway", MySQL might not play nice.

You might have to login to the MySQL console to fix things there.

In addition to checking the tracefile, I’d also check the MySQL logs. (which might need to be turned on, or increase their verbosity)

Before you get too far down a rabbit hole trying to fix this, be certain if you are running MySQL proper, or MariaDB (a near drop in replacement shipped by many distros) as there may be some differences.

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 12:58 PM, sepp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Sorry, I do not even know if this belongs here but I am a little lost
>
> I am a happy GnuCash user for years and have used Mysql as a backend for
> quite some time. Now I upraded Debian from Stretch to Buster and can no
> longer connect to the Mysql Database. Yes I can connect in the shel using
> the same credentials ...
>
> 1st "Gnucash caould obtainm the lock for mysql://...
> When I select Open Anyway I get a message Unable to save to databse with the
> option cancel. Selecting cancel just reproduces the message so I have to
> kill it from the shell
> When I select Open RO -> Unable to save to database. Book is marked
> read-only. Close option just reproduces the message - again killing in the
> shell
> Gnucash Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)
>
> any advice is very much apreciated
>
> Thank you kind regards
> Sepp

Re: [GNC] I can no longer connect to mysql after upgrading to Debian Buster

David G Hamblen-2
"Open Anyway" works fine on mysql in GC 3.4 on Ubuntu 19.04. Once you
open GC with the mysql backend, and do a "Save As" to an xml backend, it
doesn't clear the lock on the mysql database; so you'll get the lock
message.  But definitely look at the trace file.

On 8/15/19 9:51 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> The lock message means GnuCash crashed or was not properly shut down.
>
> While you can bypass this for XML and Sqlite with "Open Anyway", MySQL might not play nice.
>
> You might have to login to the MySQL console to fix things there.
>
> In addition to checking the tracefile, I’d also check the MySQL logs. (which might need to be turned on, or increase their verbosity)
>
> Before you get too far down a rabbit hole trying to fix this, be certain if you are running MySQL proper, or MariaDB (a near drop in replacement shipped by many distros) as there may be some differences.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Aug 14, 2019, at 12:58 PM, sepp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Sorry, I do not even know if this belongs here but I am a little lost
>>
>> I am a happy GnuCash user for years and have used Mysql as a backend for
>> quite some time. Now I upraded Debian from Stretch to Buster and can no
>> longer connect to the Mysql Database. Yes I can connect in the shel using
>> the same credentials ...
>>
>> 1st "Gnucash caould obtainm the lock for mysql://...
>> When I select Open Anyway I get a message Unable to save to databse with the
>> option cancel. Selecting cancel just reproduces the message so I have to
>> kill it from the shell
>> When I select Open RO -> Unable to save to database. Book is marked
>> read-only. Close option just reproduces the message - again killing in the
>> shell
>> Gnucash Version 3.4 Build ID: 3.4+ (2018-12-30)
>>
>> any advice is very much apreciated
>>
>> Thank you kind regards
>> Sepp

home phone (207) 633-4342
Cell Phone (207) 350-0440

Re: [GNC] I can no longer connect to mysql after upgrading to Debian Buster

Adrien Monteleone-2
Interesting. Thanks for the info.