[GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

[GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

GnuCash - User mailing list
Just realized I'm about to do a giant import and the advice here is to do it with v3.8.
Should I uninstall gnuCash first or just download and install 3.8 on top of 3.7?
Thanks.

Re: [GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

Adrien Monteleone-2
OS?

I’ve had some issues with linux but that was building from scratch with a very new version on an older distro. A regular install shouldn’t be an issue.

On Mac I’ve had no problems simply installing the newer version. MacOS asks if you want to overwrite or keep both.

I’ve never used Gnucash on Windows, so I can’t help there.

> On Feb 5, 2020 w6d36, at 6:10 PM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just realized I'm about to do a giant import and the advice here is to do it with v3.8.
> Should I uninstall gnuCash first or just download and install 3.8 on top of 3.7?
> Thanks.

Re: [GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

Adrien, Fran,

The windows installer appears remove a previous version during installation
AFAIK from when I upgrade GnuCash on my wife's Windows 10 notebook.

Linux Mint/Ubuntu/Debian generally install to /usr/local from the
distribution repositories but usually to get the latest version you need to
build from source. You can usually uninstall from the desktop menu Software
Manager  in most cases or use "sudo apt remove gnucash" to uninstall from a
terminal. if you have built GnuCash and retained the source and build
dirctories then "sudo make uninstall " issued from the build directory will
normally remove the current installation. The wiki on Building GnuCash for
Linux has a section on uninstalling. which describes how to manually remove
all directories (sudo/admin privileges required). Usually a good idea to
uninstall before installing a new version to ensure all libraries are
replaced on Linux.

Re: [GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

 I''m running Windows 10 so if anyone else is running the same OS let me hear if I should unstall GC 3.7 before installing 3.8 or just install 3.8 on top of 3.7.Thanks

    On Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 08:22:54 PM EST, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

 OS?

I’ve had some issues with linux but that was building from scratch with a very new version on an older distro. A regular install shouldn’t be an issue.

On Mac I’ve had no problems simply installing the newer version. MacOS asks if you want to overwrite or keep both.

I’ve never used Gnucash on Windows, so I can’t help there.

> On Feb 5, 2020 w6d36, at 6:10 PM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just realized I'm about to do a giant import and the advice here is to do it with v3.8.
> Should I uninstall gnuCash first or just download and install 3.8 on top of 3.7?
> Thanks.

Re: [GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

David Cousens
This post was updated on .
Fran

On WIndows, the installer will ask you during the process if you want to
uninstall the previous version before installing the new version. to install the new version you have to reply yes.

Re: [GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

GnuCash - User mailing list
 This answer along with the others gave me the confidence to proceed with the upgrade from 3.7 to 3.8 on my Windows 10 PC.And it worked! So I' m now up and running with GC 3.78.
For others doing this here is the dialog box you will see during the upgrade...

Hope this helps.
And thanks to those here for your help!

    On Thursday, February 6, 2020, 01:16:47 AM EST, David Cousens <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Fran

On WIndow, the installer will ask you during the process if you want to
uninstall the previous version before installing the new version.

1580994682691blob.jpg (29K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

From: Fran_3 <[hidden email]>
To: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>,  Adrien Monteleone
    <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [GNC] How to upgrade from GC 3.7 to 3.8?

 I''m running Windows 10 so if anyone else is running the same OS let me hear if I should unstall GC 3.7 before installing 3.8 or just install 3.8 on top of 3.7.Thanks

I just upgraded from 3.7 on Win10 - it automatically removed 3.7Bruce