[GNC] How to stop credit notes from being automatically applied to newer invoices

[GNC] How to stop credit notes from being automatically applied to newer invoices

Adrien Monteleone-2
I issued a credit note to a customer for materials that is going to be applied to a future invoice when the work is completed.

In the meantime, I’ve done other unrelated work for the customer and each time I post those invoices, the outstanding credit note is automatically used to offset them, sometimes partially, which is quite a mess. I have to keep editing the Lots window and deleting these errant splits so the invoices properly show as needing to be paid and the payments can properly be applied.

Is there some way to prevent this credit note from being used to offset an invoice automatically? I don’t necessarily want to unpost it, but I don’t want to ‘pay’ it until the relevant job is complete, at which time I’ll use it to offset *that* invoice before issuing it to them for final payment.

Would assigning a ‘job’ to the credit note prevent it from being used automatically?

Re: [GNC] How to stop credit notes from being automatically applied to newer invoices

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 6 augustus 2018 22:09:47 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> I issued a credit note to a customer for materials that is going to be
> applied to a future invoice when the work is completed.
>
> In the meantime, I’ve done other unrelated work for the customer and each
> time I post those invoices, the outstanding credit note is automatically
> used to offset them, sometimes partially, which is quite a mess. I have to
> keep editing the Lots window and deleting these errant splits so the
> invoices properly show as needing to be paid and the payments can properly
> be applied.
>
> Is there some way to prevent this credit note from being used to offset an
> invoice automatically? I don’t necessarily want to unpost it, but I don’t
> want to ‘pay’ it until the relevant job is complete, at which time I’ll use
> it to offset *that* invoice before issuing it to them for final payment.
>
> Would assigning a ‘job’ to the credit note prevent it from being used
> automatically?

I don't think a job will make a difference.

However you can disable automatic payment assignments in general in
Edit->Preferences->Business.
There you will find an option "Process payment on posting" for invoices and
bills. If you disable these, credit notes should not be applied automatically
any more. Obviously other pre-payments won't either.

Re: [GNC] How to stop credit notes from being automatically applied to newer invoices

Adrien Monteleone-2
Thanks Geert,

That will work.

I pretty much manually apply all of my payments anyway. I wasn’t sure about this setting if it disabled the button to process a payment in the invoice window or not. It makes more sense that it is tied to automatically posting pre-payments/credit-notes.