[GNC] How to set up Standing Order/Direct Debit with different first amount in GnuCash

[GNC] How to set up Standing Order/Direct Debit with different first amount in GnuCash

Alan A Holmes
I'm a new recruit to using GnuCash, having used Quicken for almost 25 years
(and Quicken 2000 since 2000!). It was getting more and more difficult to
install and run Quicken, so I finally took the plunge and changed. GnuCash
being free won the evaluationJ

However, being steeped in using Quicken I'm used to the various features it
offered.

I'm currently trying to set up a scheduled transaction for a rates bill,
where there are a total of 8 payments, with the 1st payment a different
amount to the other 7. Quicken used to allow this as a feature of setting up
a standing order, but the only way I've found to do this in GnuCash so far
is to set up 2 scheduled transaction, the first for 1 month and the second
for 7 months. I've looked through the various documents but not found
another way. Is there another better/easier way of doing this in GnuCash?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Alan A Holmes

---
Liz

Re: [GNC] How to set up Standing Order/Direct Debit with different first amount in GnuCash

Liz
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 15:35:41 -0000
"Alan A Holmes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm currently trying to set up a scheduled transaction for a rates
> bill, where there are a total of 8 payments, with the 1st payment a
> different amount to the other 7. Quicken used to allow this as a
> feature of setting up a standing order, but the only way I've found
> to do this in GnuCash so far is to set up 2 scheduled transaction,
> the first for 1 month and the second for 7 months. I've looked
> through the various documents but not found another way. Is there
> another better/easier way of doing this in GnuCash?

That's one option, the other is to make the payments identical. Use the
notify system to advise you when they are posted, and then edit the
first one to the correct amount.
As I guess the first instalment is the highest, you may not prefer that
one.

Liz

Re: [GNC] How to set up Standing Order/Direct Debit with different first amount in GnuCash

Fred Bone
On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 15:35, Alan A Holmes said:

[...]
> I'm currently trying to set up a scheduled transaction for a rates bill,
> where there are a total of 8 payments, with the 1st payment a different
> amount to the other 7. Quicken used to allow this as a feature of setting
> up a standing order, but the only way I've found to do this in GnuCash so
> far is to set up 2 scheduled transaction, the first for 1 month and the
> second for 7 months. I've looked through the various documents but not
> found another way. Is there another better/easier way of doing this in
> GnuCash?

My approach is
1. Set up the payment to suit the 2nd-and-subsequent instalments
2. Trigger the SX (maybe well before the actual due date, but so what) by
adjusting the "create in advance" setting
3. Adjust the amnout on the resulting advance (1st) txn
4. Put the "create in advance" back to what it should be
(If the timing is right, the "create in advance" tweaks are unnecessary,
of course.)