[GNC] How to remove unused accounts

Lorrie Laskey
Hi all,

I have a few old, unused accounts with dollars amounts that are not
accurate that are showing up when doing reports, skewing the data.

How do I delete the accounts but not the transactions?

Credit card payments were made from my checking account, so deleting the
transactions would remove them from the checking account.

Re: [GNC] How to remove unused accounts

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

On Fri, January 25, 2019 9:51 am, Lorrie Laskey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a few old, unused accounts with dollars amounts that are not
> accurate that are showing up when doing reports, skewing the data.
>
> How do I delete the accounts but not the transactions?

When you delete an account, GnuCash will ask you what to do with all the
transactions in the account.  Your choices are basically:

  * move them into another account, or
  * move them into Orphan-XXX (where XXX is the currency)

There is no way to "mass delete" a bunch of transactions.

> Credit card payments were made from my checking account, so deleting the
> transactions would remove them from the checking account.

Let me ask you a different question here..  Credit card payments were made
from your checking account to the CC account -- so if THOSE transactions
were correct, then... where is the problem?  Is the problem that you did
not account for your actual CC charges?

What balances are "off"?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] How to remove unused accounts

David Carlson-4
Lorrie,

There are some other choices.

If you want some accounts that you do not use to be omitted from some
reports use the Accounts selection for those reports to only select the
accounts you want.

If there are old accounts that are essentially just missing the last
transaction to close them out, just add a transaction to transfer the
balance to equity.  Give it an appropriate date in the past.

David C

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 9:04 AM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, January 25, 2019 9:51 am, Lorrie Laskey wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a few old, unused accounts with dollars amounts that are not
> > accurate that are showing up when doing reports, skewing the data.
> >
> > How do I delete the accounts but not the transactions?
>
> When you delete an account, GnuCash will ask you what to do with all the
> transactions in the account.  Your choices are basically:
>
>   * move them into another account, or
>   * move them into Orphan-XXX (where XXX is the currency)
>
> There is no way to "mass delete" a bunch of transactions.
>
> > Credit card payments were made from my checking account, so deleting the
> > transactions would remove them from the checking account.
>
> Let me ask you a different question here..  Credit card payments were made
> from your checking account to the CC account -- so if THOSE transactions
> were correct, then... where is the problem?  Is the problem that you did
> not account for your actual CC charges?
>
> What balances are "off"?

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] How to remove unused accounts

Lorrie Laskey
Hi David,

I figured out that I needed to add a final transaction to close out some
unused accounts. However, I have a few that I don't know how to close out.

For example, I started an "Investments" account to monitor my 401K
contributions and abandoned it. It now has a total of $12,900, which is
being included in the reports. How do I close this account while keeping
the transactions?

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 7:14 AM David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Lorrie,
>
> There are some other choices.
>
> If you want some accounts that you do not use to be omitted from some
> reports use the Accounts selection for those reports to only select the
> accounts you want.
>
> If there are old accounts that are essentially just missing the last
> transaction to close them out, just add a transaction to transfer the
> balance to equity.  Give it an appropriate date in the past.
>

> David C
>

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 9:04 AM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, January 25, 2019 9:51 am, Lorrie Laskey wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I have a few old, unused accounts with dollars amounts that are not
>> > accurate that are showing up when doing reports, skewing the data.
>> >
>> > How do I delete the accounts but not the transactions?
>>
>> When you delete an account, GnuCash will ask you what to do with all the
>> transactions in the account.  Your choices are basically:
>>
>>   * move them into another account, or
>>   * move them into Orphan-XXX (where XXX is the currency)
>>
>> There is no way to "mass delete" a bunch of transactions.
>>
>> > Credit card payments were made from my checking account, so deleting the
>> > transactions would remove them from the checking account.
>>
>> Let me ask you a different question here..  Credit card payments were made
>> from your checking account to the CC account -- so if THOSE transactions
>> were correct, then... where is the problem?  Is the problem that you did
>> not account for your actual CC charges?
>>
>> What balances are "off"?

>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] How to remove unused accounts

Adrien Monteleone-2
Lorrie,

The answer would depend on where does that money belong now?

Do you still hold the investment?

Has it been cashed in?

Again, as David C. mentioned, as far as being ‘included in reports’ that is entirely a user preference for each report. Assumptions are made by GnuCash as to which accounts you’d probably want to include when running a report, but you can choose to specifically include or exclude accounts as desired.

Thus, you can just leave the account alone and simply unselect it when running reports.

If you find this constant adjustment cumbersome (it eventually will be) then once you have the report options the way you like them, save the configuration and in the future, run the report from the saved configurations list, rather than the generic Reports menu entry.