[GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows 10 machine?

[GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows 10 machine?

Richard Gardner
 I've read a lot of mailing list posts but I'm still clear on how to move
the data on my very simple account over. Seems to me it's actually got to
be pretty straightforward.

I've downloaded and installed 2.6.21 on the new Win10 (haven't run anything
yet)‚Äč.  'Save As' on the old machine shows my data file is in \TECO DATA.
Lots of .gnucash files (Text and Financial Data) are there, including last
nights Financial Data file. But it's only 218KB -- can that be enough for
the full data for a system I've used (admittedly very lightly) for 7 years?
If so, do I just make a TECO DATA folder on the new machine and copy this
one file over?

What do I do with my \Users\...\.gnucash folders and files? copy them all
to the New machine's \Users?

And then Preferences (not using online banking). How do I get the HKEY
_...../gnucash over to the new setup?   I've never added/inserted a key key
with regedit - is it easy enough? what type key is it?

Sorry to be so long winded but trying to be complete and clear. I hope I'm
not too far off.

Thank you for your help.

Dick

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows 10 machine?

DaveC49
Dick,
All that is necessary is to copy the <filename>.gnucash file from that
directory to the new computer (usb stick is probably easiest) where
<filename> is the name you originally gave your Gnucash file. This is the
only file that it is necessary to copy to transfer to your new machine

You will find a lot of files of the form
<filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.gnucash  and
<filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.log
in the directory.

These are backup and log files and are created each time you open GnuCash.
They are useful if the primary file above becomes corrupted as you can
restore from a backup file by applying the subsequent logfiles.  You can
copy these over as well if you wish. It is probably a good idea to keep a
few of the most recent of each file type.

Once you have copied the file into an appropriate directory in the \Users
on the new machine , if you start GnuCash and then File->Open from the menu
and then direct it to and open the <filename>.gnucash file you copied you
will be up and running. Next time it should open that file by default.

Liz

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows 10 machine?

Liz
On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:27:21 -0700 (MST)
DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dick,
> All that is necessary is to copy the <filename>.gnucash file from that
> directory to the new computer (usb stick is probably easiest) where
> <filename> is the name you originally gave your Gnucash file. This is
> the only file that it is necessary to copy to transfer to your new
> machine
>
> You will find a lot of files of the form
> <filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.gnucash  and
> <filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.log
> in the directory.
>
> These are backup and log files and are created each time you open
> GnuCash. They are useful if the primary file above becomes corrupted
> as you can restore from a backup file by applying the subsequent
> logfiles.  You can copy these over as well if you wish. It is
> probably a good idea to keep a few of the most recent of each file
> type.
>
> Once you have copied the file into an appropriate directory in the
> \Users on the new machine , if you start GnuCash and then File->Open
> from the menu and then direct it to and open the <filename>.gnucash
> file you copied you will be up and running. Next time it should open
> that file by default.
>
> David Cousens

This is incomplete. Copying only this file will not copy the
preferences and the saved reports (if any).
Check the FAQ, above and below this one
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_moved.2Frenamed_my_data_file_and_my_reports_disappeared._How_do_I_get_them_back.3F

Liz

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows 10 machine?

Richard Gardner
David, thanks, that works slick as you said.  I've been known to over-think
at times.  Once again. . .

Liz,  RE:Preferences, to amateur-me it looks like the registry differences
between the old and new installs are minor. I've read the FAQ but I don't
know how to actually move the old keys over I'm going to live with it as-is
for now rather than mess it up. I haven't saved any custom reports.

I appreciate all the help.

Dick Gardner

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 5:35 AM Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 19:27:21 -0700 (MST)
> DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dick,
> > All that is necessary is to copy the <filename>.gnucash file from that
> > directory to the new computer (usb stick is probably easiest) where
> > <filename> is the name you originally gave your Gnucash file. This is
> > the only file that it is necessary to copy to transfer to your new
> > machine
> >
> > You will find a lot of files of the form
> > <filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.gnucash  and
> > <filename>.gnucash.<timestamp>.log
> > in the directory.
> >
> > These are backup and log files and are created each time you open
> > GnuCash. They are useful if the primary file above becomes corrupted
> > as you can restore from a backup file by applying the subsequent
> > logfiles.  You can copy these over as well if you wish. It is
> > probably a good idea to keep a few of the most recent of each file
> > type.
> >
> > Once you have copied the file into an appropriate directory in the
> > \Users on the new machine , if you start GnuCash and then File->Open
> > from the menu and then direct it to and open the <filename>.gnucash
> > file you copied you will be up and running. Next time it should open
> > that file by default.
> >
> > David Cousens
> >

> This is incomplete. Copying only this file will not copy the
> preferences and the saved reports (if any).
> Check the FAQ, above and below this one
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_moved.2Frenamed_my_data_file_and_my_reports_disappeared._How_do_I_get_them_back.3F
>
> Liz

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows 10 machine?

DaveC49
Thanks Liz,

I didn't think of the preferences.