[GNC] How to change the currency in the summary bar

[GNC] How to change the currency in the summary bar

Stefan Ivanovski
Hi GNU Cash enthusiasts,

I've been using this software for personal financing and it's great for
what I want to do. It does a great job managing multiple currencies.

However, recently I wanted to change the currency of the "Grand Total" in
the summary bar, but I could not find anywhere the option under Edit >
Preference.

I would like to change the currency from Macedonian Denars to Euros in the
"Grand Total" only.

I am using version 3.4 for Windows and I've changed the global settings to
EUR, but nothing works.

Anyone that could assist me on this? I would very much appreciate your
help.

Regards,
Stefan

[image: Screenshot_1.png]

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

--
*Stefan Ivanovski*

Screenshot_1.png (12K) Download Attachment
image.png (49K) Download Attachment
image.png (39K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] How to change the currency in the summary bar

Christopher Lam
There's no ui for modifying the summary bar currency unfortunately. It is
set when you create your book.

To modify afterwards you'll need to modify the data file and change the
currency for the (invisible) root account.

A book property option *could* be implemented; I doubt that it will have
side effects elsewhere, but I'm not sure.

On Thu., 28 Mar. 2019, 15:14 Stefan Ivanovski, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi GNU Cash enthusiasts,
>
> I've been using this software for personal financing and it's great for
> what I want to do. It does a great job managing multiple currencies.
>
> However, recently I wanted to change the currency of the "Grand Total" in
> the summary bar, but I could not find anywhere the option under Edit >
> Preference.
>
> I would like to change the currency from Macedonian Denars to Euros in the
> "Grand Total" only.
>
> I am using version 3.4 for Windows and I've changed the global settings to
> EUR, but nothing works.
>
> Anyone that could assist me on this? I would very much appreciate your
> help.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> [image: Screenshot_1.png]
>
> [image: image.png]
> [image: image.png]
>
> --
> *Stefan Ivanovski*

Re: [GNC] How to change the currency in the summary bar

Kenneth Schneider

Ken Schneider

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 5:44 AM, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There's no ui for modifying the summary bar currency unfortunately. It is
> set when you create your book.
>
> To modify afterwards you'll need to modify the data file and change the
> currency for the (invisible) root account.

And the name of this is?  located where? and what to change would be quite helpful.

Ken

Re: [GNC] How to change the currency in the summary bar

Christopher Lam
We prefer https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists#Netiquette here

To change root currency:
1. backup datafile
2. rename datafile.gnucash to datafile.gnucash.gz then gunzip using a
reputable tool such as 7-zip
3. open using a reputable text editor such as Notepad++. find the root
currency labelled <act:type>ROOT</act:type>
4. locate the associated currency e.g.
  <act:commodity>
    <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
    <cmdty:id>EUR</cmdty:id>
  </act:commodity>
5. change the <cmdty:id> at leisure.
6. save, restart.

Beware, there will be unknown side effects.

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 at 06:26, Stefan Ivanovski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Christopher,
>
> Thank you for the prompt reply.
> I am not sure how to change the data file. I am not very experienced with
> coding and programming.
>
> Do you have some link you can point me to how to follow along?
>
> Regards,
> Stefan
>
> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 10:44 AM Christopher Lam <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There's no ui for modifying the summary bar currency unfortunately. It is
>> set when you create your book.
>>
>> To modify afterwards you'll need to modify the data file and change the
>> currency for the (invisible) root account.
>>
>> A book property option *could* be implemented; I doubt that it will have
>> side effects elsewhere, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> On Thu., 28 Mar. 2019, 15:14 Stefan Ivanovski, <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi GNU Cash enthusiasts,
>>>
>>> I've been using this software for personal financing and it's great for
>>> what I want to do. It does a great job managing multiple currencies.
>>>
>>> However, recently I wanted to change the currency of the "Grand Total" in
>>> the summary bar, but I could not find anywhere the option under Edit >
>>> Preference.
>>>
>>> I would like to change the currency from Macedonian Denars to Euros in
>>> the
>>> "Grand Total" only.
>>>
>>> I am using version 3.4 for Windows and I've changed the global settings
>>> EUR, but nothing works.
>>>
>>> Anyone that could assist me on this? I would very much appreciate your
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Stefan
>>>
>>> [image: Screenshot_1.png]
>>>
>>> [image: image.png]
>>> [image: image.png]
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Stefan Ivanovski*
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

> *Stefan Ivanovski*
>

> *Master of City Planning, Class of 2015University of Pennsylvania, School
> of Design*
> *International Relations and Spanish*
> *Bucknell University, Class of 2012*
>
> *‚ÄčLinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/stefanivanovski
> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanivanovski>*
> *Overture: **Personal video introduction
> <https://player.vimeo.com/video/95877174>*

Re: [GNC] How to change the currency in the summary bar

Stefan Ivanovski
Hi Christopher,

Thank you very much for the steps. I appreciate it.
That's very helpful.

Regards,
Stefan