[GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

[GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hi. I upgraded from gnucash v2.4 to 3.4 (Windows 7) and I read the colors
theme are gone... and to follow the instruction in
"https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Register_Appearance" to change them in
v3.4. So I thought I did:

1. I got the sample file from
"https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/doc/gtk-3.0.css"
2. I disabled "Use GnuCash built-in color theme" in gnucash (the register
looks black font on white background, header is greyish background)
3. Copy "gtk-3.0.css" to "C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
4. Re-started gnucash

Theses lines below (from "gtk-3.0.css") makes me think that the register
header should be seagreen:

/* Register User Colors */ .header-color {background-color: seagreen;color:
white;}

I don't see any changes in the color of anything. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: [GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

Adrien Monteleone-2
You need to reverse the preference on your #2 back to using the GnuCash color theme.

If the preference is checked, GnuCash will load its own predefined colors, or colors from a custom css file.

If the preference is cleared, GnuCash will use colors from the default Gtk theme. (Adwaita in this case unless you’ve installed and activated a different one)

So GnuCash is not loading your css file with the preference unchecked.

This function of the preference is described in a tool tip if you hover over it.

> On Mar 22, 2019, at 1:09 PM, dsp1024 via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi. I upgraded from gnucash v2.4 to 3.4 (Windows 7) and I read the colors
> theme are gone... and to follow the instruction in
> "https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GTK3#Register_Appearance" to change them in
> v3.4. So I thought I did:
>
> 1. I got the sample file from
> "https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/doc/gtk-3.0.css"
> 2. I disabled "Use GnuCash built-in color theme" in gnucash (the register
> looks black font on white background, header is greyish background)
> 3. Copy "gtk-3.0.css" to "C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
> 4. Re-started gnucash
>
> Theses lines below (from "gtk-3.0.css") makes me think that the register
> header should be seagreen:
>
> /* Register User Colors */ .header-color {background-color: seagreen;color:
> white;}
>
> I don't see any changes in the color of anything. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks

Re: [GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

I tried your suggestion and I still have no luck. I'm either missing
something basic or the instructions are not correct or clear enough. I
copied the text of the instructions below. I'm leaning towards me missing
something. But I don't see what.

This is what the tool tip says:
"GnuCash uses a yellow/green theme by default for registered windows.
Uncheck this if you want to use the system color theme instead."

--------------------------- instructions start
-----------------------------------
Register Appearance
The GnuCash registers use a yellow/green theme by default for register
windows. Users must disable this default theme in order to change register
appearance.

To override this, one first has to disable this custom theme by disabling
"Use GnuCash built-in color theme" in the GnuCash Preferences.

Next, create or change the GTK css file for further styling tweaks. The
location and name of the resource file is explained in Configuration
Locations.

For adjusting register colors, you can override the relevant css style
definitions in your own GTK3 resource file. See GTK css example for example
settings.

Re: [GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

Adrien Monteleone-2
Interesting, the preference works the opposite for me. I’m on a Mac, but that shouldn’t matter.

Windows has two locations you can put that file.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GnuCash
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash

You tried the second one. Try the first. (or both?)

Other than that, perhaps there is a problem with the css file itself. What app did you use to create it? (be sure it has a .css extension and not .css.txt and that your app is set to linux/unix line endings.)

Also double-check the syntax on that particular css rule, maybe even change the declaration to something more glaring like ‘red’ or ‘pink’ as ’seagreen’ is not far off from the default color. (it is a bit darker though)

You can also try storing that file in the main GTK locations and unchecking the preference. Note, this will likely affect other GTK apps if you have them installed.

> On Mar 26, 2019, at 11:13 AM, dsp1024 via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I tried your suggestion and I still have no luck. I'm either missing
> something basic or the instructions are not correct or clear enough. I
> copied the text of the instructions below. I'm leaning towards me missing
> something. But I don't see what.
>
> This is what the tool tip says:
> "GnuCash uses a yellow/green theme by default for registered windows.
> Uncheck this if you want to use the system color theme instead."
>

> --------------------------- instructions start
> -----------------------------------
> Register Appearance
> The GnuCash registers use a yellow/green theme by default for register
> windows. Users must disable this default theme in order to change register
> appearance.
>
> To override this, one first has to disable this custom theme by disabling
> "Use GnuCash built-in color theme" in the GnuCash Preferences.
>
> Next, create or change the GTK css file for further styling tweaks. The
> location and name of the resource file is explained in Configuration
> Locations.
>
> For adjusting register colors, you can override the relevant css style
> definitions in your own GTK3 resource file. See GTK css example for example
> settings.

Re: [GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

Geert Janssens-4
Op dinsdag 26 maart 2019 19:45:35 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> Interesting, the preference works the opposite for me. I’m on a Mac, but
> that shouldn’t matter.
>
> Windows has two locations you can put that file.
>
> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GnuCash

No, this location is not used by gnucash.

There is
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Gtk
to store Gtk related config files and you may try and use that one as well. Do
note in this case Gtk uses a different file name for its css configuration.
overrides.

Re: [GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

Adrien Monteleone-2
Hmmm.. The wiki lists both \Roaming and \Local, only reason why I suggested it.

Op dinsdag 26 maart 2019 20:08:10 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> Hmmm.. The wiki lists both \Roaming and \Local, only reason why I suggested
> it.

Where did you see this ? If it does that would be a wiki bug :)

Re: [GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

Adrien Monteleone-2
My bad. I was misreading both the wiki page and the chart. Both %APPDATA% and %LOCALAPPDATA% are used, but one for GNC_CONFIG_HOME and the other for GTK_CONFIG_HOME and I was confused thinking both locations were used for both purposes. (though the wiki page and chart clearly indicate which is used where)

Just my trying to read the page too fast.

Sorry for the confusion.

As for the original problem, unless there is an issue with the CSS file, I don’t think I have any more ideas as to why it is not working.

Op dinsdag 26 maart 2019 20:38:24 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> My bad. I was misreading both the wiki page and the chart. Both %APPDATA%
> and %LOCALAPPDATA% are used, but one for GNC_CONFIG_HOME and the other for
> GTK_CONFIG_HOME and I was confused thinking both locations were used for
> both purposes. (though the wiki page and chart clearly indicate which is
> used where)
>
> Just my trying to read the page too fast.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.

Well, I don't blame you. The various locations where config files can be stored are pretty
complicated. David's diagrams do help IMO.

> As for the original problem, unless there is an issue with the CSS file, I
> don’t think I have any more ideas as to why it is not working.

Neither do I...

Re: [GNC] How to change register colors in gnucash 3.x?

GnuCash - User mailing list
Well...I tried changing the colors to something much different like pink and
plum with no luck. Thanks for trying guys. Maybe in the next version will
work for me. Take care.