[GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

[GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

GnuCash - User mailing list
I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change Deposits to Withdrawals?
Thanks for any help.

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

David Carlson-4
The easiest way is to close gnucash without saving to abandon the current
data and import again.

If you saved the file with the incorrect import, close it and open the last
save before the import.

If you didn't notice the error until much later, there is no mass
correction possible, but you could import again if it was a qif import then
delete the ones that are wrong.

David Carlson

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020, 10:30 AM Fran_3 via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the
> Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
> Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change
> Deposits to Withdrawals?
> Thanks for any help.

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

GnuCash - User mailing list
 They are the last 663 checking transactions and they were already saved gnuCash and its going to be hard to go back to an earlier version.
My plan is to export those last 633 transactions and edit them in a spreadsheet... which I've already doneand I ended up with just 5 columns...  Date, Num, Description, Deposit, Withdrawal
Next I need to delete the last 633 transactions from the check register but I have not been able to select multiple checking transactions...
Any idea on how do select multiple checking transactions so you can just delete them all at once?
Thanks for the help !

    On Sunday, February 16, 2020, 12:34:02 PM EST, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

 The easiest way is to close gnucash without saving to abandon the current data and import again.
If you saved the file with the incorrect import, close it and open the last save before the import.
If you didn't notice the error until much later, there is no mass correction possible, but you could import again if it was a qif import then delete the ones that are wrong.
David Carlson
On Sun, Feb 16, 2020, 10:30 AM Fran_3 via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change Deposits to Withdrawals?
Thanks for any help.

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

Adrien Monteleone-2
You can’t. It is a one at a time deal. But if that is everything in that register, you can delete the entire account, then re-create it and start over.

> On Feb 16, 2020 w8d47, at 12:14 PM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> They are the last 663 checking transactions and they were already saved gnuCash and its going to be hard to go back to an earlier version.
> My plan is to export those last 633 transactions and edit them in a spreadsheet... which I've already doneand I ended up with just 5 columns...  Date, Num, Description, Deposit, Withdrawal
> Next I need to delete the last 633 transactions from the check register but I have not been able to select multiple checking transactions...
> Any idea on how do select multiple checking transactions so you can just delete them all at once?
> Thanks for the help !

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

In the future,  be sure to save a copy of the file just before importing!

David Carlson

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020, 12:14 PM Fran_3 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They are the last 663 checking transactions and they were already saved
> gnuCash and its going to be hard to go back to an earlier version.
>
> My plan is to export those last 633 transactions and edit them in a
> spreadsheet... which I've already done
> and I ended up with just 5 columns...  Date, Num, Description, Deposit,
> Withdrawal
>
> Next I need to delete the last 633 transactions from the check register
> but I have not been able to select multiple checking transactions...
>
> Any idea on how do select multiple checking transactions so you can just
> delete them all at once?
>
> Thanks for the help !
>

> On Sunday, February 16, 2020, 12:34:02 PM EST, David Carlson <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> The easiest way is to close gnucash without saving to abandon the current
> data and import again.
>
> If you saved the file with the incorrect import, close it and open the
> last save before the import.
>
> If you didn't notice the error until much later, there is no mass
> correction possible, but you could import again if it was a qif import then
> delete the ones that are wrong.
>
> David Carlson
>
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2020, 10:30 AM Fran_3 via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the
> Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
> Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change
> Deposits to Withdrawals?
> Thanks for any help.

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

GnuCash - User mailing list
 Well, turns out I did have a copy of the GC file just before import :-)And I have the data ready to import again.I can experiment and find this out but my question now is...

Does the sign need to be minus for Withdrawals?
I think, when I originally imported the 663 transactions I may have had both the Deposit & Withdrawal columns populated with positive numbers...
Our bank puts deposits & withdrawals in the same column with a negative sign for withdrawals...
Preparing the spreadsheet for import into GC I used
=if(A2>0, A2,) to get the positive numbers into the Deposit column and then used=if(A2<0, A2,) to get the negative numbers into the Withdrawal field.So the withdrawal column should have the negative sign in front of each withdrawal...Maybe GC wants both to be positive and uses the Column Heading to figure things out... I'm not sureI'll experiment
Anyway thanks for talking me through this guys :-)
Wish me luck.

    On Sunday, February 16, 2020, 1:27:33 PM EST, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael or Penny Novack
On 2/16/2020 11:28 AM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
> I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
> Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change Deposits to Withdrawals?
> Thanks for any help.

Horse and barn doors, but this is worth pointing out. Take checkpoints.

In other words, before doing a large import of data, make a backup copy
of the file. Then, as in a case like this, you can easily back out the
faulty import.

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

David Carlson-4
When importing, the sign overrides the column name, so a negative
withdrawal becomes a deposit.

David Carlson

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020, 1:33 PM Michael or Penny Novack <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/16/2020 11:28 AM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
> > I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the
> Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
> > Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change
> Deposits to Withdrawals?
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> Horse and barn doors, but this is worth pointing out. Take checkpoints.
>
> In other words, before doing a large import of data, make a backup copy
> of the file. Then, as in a case like this, you can easily back out the
> faulty import.
>
> Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

Art Chimes-2
Or perhaps next time do a test run of a handful of the transactions to
be imported before running the whole batch?
-Art-

From: Michael or Penny Novack <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Bcc:
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 14:31:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)
On 2/16/2020 11:28 AM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
> I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
> Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change Deposits to Withdrawals?
> Thanks for any help.

Horse and barn doors, but this is worth pointing out. Take checkpoints.

In other words, before doing a large import of data, make a backup copy
of the file. Then, as in a case like this, you can easily back out the
faulty import.

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

Adrien Monteleone-2
As was recommended multiple times.

> On Feb 16, 2020 w8d47, at 1:58 PM, Art Chimes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Or perhaps next time do a test run of a handful of the transactions to
> be imported before running the whole batch?
> -Art-

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

Have you checked the directory that contains your data file for previous
automatically created backup files created whenever the GnuCash program is
exited and restarted?. If one of these is timestamped before your large
import you may be able to recover to the point before the import. Apart from
saving a copy explicitly I generally exit and restart the program when I am
going to be importing reasonable quantities fo data.

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-backup1.html

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

 Ah Ha! That must be where I took the wrong fork in the road. Thanks, good info.

[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/16/2020 11:28 AM, Fran_3 via gnucash-user wrote:
> > I imported a big bunch of checking transactions and guess I got the
> Deposit & Withdrawal columns labeled wrong during the import process.
> > Is there any way to select a bunch of checking transactions and change
> Deposits to Withdrawals?
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> Horse and barn doors, but this is worth pointing out. Take checkpoints.
>
> In other words, before doing a large import of data, make a backup copy
> of the file. Then, as in a case like this, you can easily back out the
> faulty import.
>
> Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] How to change MANY Deposits to Withdrawals? (Import error)

 I found the GC file before I did the big import and am all set to try it again... but on a copy of that backup GC file, of course :-)
But, I'm done for today so I'll do the import in small chunks in the morning and report back.
Thanks everyone for the help.