[GNC] How do you edit the defaults for new account creation?

[GNC] How do you edit the defaults for new account creation?

johnblue
Hello,

I want to use individual folders to sort each year with the .gnucash
database file named with the corresponding year.

eg: 2018.gnucash

Is there way to create a new "account" that is prepopulated with my bank,
credit card, mortgage and expense categories information using automation as
opposed to manual entry?

Thanks!

Re: [GNC] How do you edit the defaults for new account creation?

GnuCash - User mailing list
John,

It’s not entirely clear what you’re asking for. It sounds as if you want to create year-based account trees within your main GnuCash data file. IOW:

Assets:Checking:2017
Assets:Checking:2018
Assets:Investment:2017
Assets:Investment:2018

or perhaps:

Assets:2017:Checking
Assets:2017:Investment
Assets:2018:Checking
Assets:2018:Investment

There is nothing to prevent you from implementing such a structure, but it will likely result in a great deal of work for you, as there is no automation to support this.

If, however, you are looking to set up separate annual data files for gnucash (i.e., mybooks-2017.gnucash and mybooks-2018.gnucash) you should look at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books> for discussions relating to this. The short answer to your specific question about availability of automating tools is, “no, there are no such tools.”

I will also tell you that a perennial topic on these lists is whether or not such steps are useful or needed, with opinions on many sides. You could google “closing books site:lists.gnucash.org <http://lists.gnucash.org/>” to see some of these discussions.

HTH,
David T.

> On Apr 22, 2018, at 10:14 AM, johnblue <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I want to use individual folders to sort each year with the .gnucash
> database file named with the corresponding year.
>
> eg: 2018.gnucash
>
> Is there way to create a new "account" that is prepopulated with my bank,
> credit card, mortgage and expense categories information using automation as
> opposed to manual entry?
>
> Thanks!

Re: [GNC] How do you edit the defaults for new account creation?

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 4/22/2018 1:14 AM, johnblue wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use individual folders to sort each year with the .gnucash
> database file named with the corresponding year.
>
> eg: 2018.gnucash
>
> Is there way to create a new "account" that is prepopulated with my bank,
> credit card, mortgage and expense categories information using automation as
> opposed to manual entry?

It is unclear for what you are asking.

Do you want separate books for each year? (like in the old days of pen
and ink on paper, they might start off each year with a fresh set of books.)

Something else in mind?

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] How do you edit the defaults for new account creation?

Ronal B Morse-2
Take a look at the menu bar:

file > export > export accounts

That might do what you want