[GNC] Help with Export

James Fuller
Hi,

I'm trying to export my chart of accounts so that I can start a new set
of books. After opening Gnucash I move to the File drop down menu.  then
choosing Export I get a screen that offers options. I choose export
accounts.  A screen pops up that wants ( i think ) the name of the file
to be saved.  In this case I'm using the name ' CruzersGnu19 '.  I then
select C: for the drive. when I accept Save As, I get an error message
that says

" there was an error saving the file" "invalid argument" Obviously I'm
doing something wrong, but I  can't see what.  Any help would be
appreciated.

James Fuller

ps.  I'm accustomed to using apple Ipads.  I do a much better job of
communicating on them.  Grrr. Microsoft.

Re: [GNC] Help with Export

Christopher Lam
This may have something to do with Windows 10 permissions. It's restricting
apps more and more with each update.

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 at 23:45, James Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to export my chart of accounts so that I can start a new set
> of books. After opening Gnucash I move to the File drop down menu.  then
> choosing Export I get a screen that offers options. I choose export
> accounts.  A screen pops up that wants ( i think ) the name of the file
> to be saved.  In this case I'm using the name ' CruzersGnu19 '.  I then
> select C: for the drive. when I accept Save As, I get an error message
> that says
>
> " there was an error saving the file" "invalid argument" Obviously I'm
> doing something wrong, but I  can't see what.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> James Fuller
>
> ps.  I'm accustomed to using apple Ipads.  I do a much better job of
> communicating on them.  Grrr. Microsoft.

Re: [GNC] Help with Export

I’m on a Mac, which doesn’t care about file extensions, but perhaps that is what Windows was complaining about. Despite the fact that the export is CSV (with custom delimiter) it saved it without an extension. If the Windows build does the same, this might be the cause of the error.

Try giving your file a “.csv” extension.

> On Jul 28, 2019, at 6:43 PM, James Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to export my chart of accounts so that I can start a new set of books. After opening Gnucash I move to the File drop down menu.  then choosing Export I get a screen that offers options. I choose export accounts.  A screen pops up that wants ( i think ) the name of the file to be saved.  In this case I'm using the name ' CruzersGnu19 '.  I then select C: for the drive. when I accept Save As, I get an error message that says
>
> " there was an error saving the file" "invalid argument" Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but I  can't see what.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> James Fuller
>
> ps.  I'm accustomed to using apple Ipads.  I do a much better job of communicating on them.  Grrr. Microsoft.

Re: [GNC] Help with Export

Greg Feneis
It could be a permissions issue like Christopher Lam wrote.  I just played
around with the Export dialog on GnuCash 2.6.21 on Win 7 64.

It appears GnuCash knows what extension to give the file based on the Data
Format selection at the top of the dialog box.  Mine was at .xml by
default.

I just tried to do a test save of my accounts' exports to C:\ (which win 7
doesn't allow), and it failed silently.  Tried it again and same result.

James Fuller, if you're using Win 10, it's possible that if you're
attempting to save to C:\ Windows 10 isn't allowing it, and if you're using
GnuCash 3.x, it's based on GTK3 (sp?) so it's not failing silently like my
older version did, but it's not really giving you an appropriate error
message either.  It should be something like "saving in reserved location
is forbidden"

If so, you're going to want to select a place to store the accounts export
file that's not at the very root of the hard drive.  That is, not C:\.
However, some folder on C:\ is OK.  There's usually a folder where Windows
computers encourage users to store their files, like C:\Users\James
(replace James with whatever the user's name is.)  Try saving there.  Or,
C:\Users\James\Desktop

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m on a Mac, which doesn’t care about file extensions, but perhaps that
> is what Windows was complaining about. Despite the fact that the export is
> CSV (with custom delimiter) it saved it without an extension. If the
> Windows build does the same, this might be the cause of the error.
>
> Try giving your file a “.csv” extension.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Jul 28, 2019, at 6:43 PM, James Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to export my chart of accounts so that I can start a new set
> of books. After opening Gnucash I move to the File drop down menu.  then
> choosing Export I get a screen that offers options. I choose export
> accounts.  A screen pops up that wants ( i think ) the name of the file to
> be saved.  In this case I'm using the name ' CruzersGnu19 '.  I then select
> C: for the drive. when I accept Save As, I get an error message that says
> >
> > " there was an error saving the file" "invalid argument" Obviously I'm
> doing something wrong, but I  can't see what.  Any help would be
> appreciated.
> >
> > James Fuller
> >
> > ps.  I'm accustomed to using apple Ipads.  I do a much better job of
> communicating on them.  Grrr. Microsoft.

Re: [GNC] Help with Export

David Carlson-4
Microsoft Windows likes users to save all their stuff in a sub directory of
My Documents.  That is actually the same as C:\users\[username]\My
Documents\ .  GnuCash suggests creating a subdirectory with a familiar name
because it will fill up with backups as time passes.  Often users have a
different preference, possibly on a different hard drive, as long as it is
not in any of the Windows system directories.

David Carlson

On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 10:21 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It could be a permissions issue like Christopher Lam wrote.  I just played
> around with the Export dialog on GnuCash 2.6.21 on Win 7 64.
>
> It appears GnuCash knows what extension to give the file based on the Data
> Format selection at the top of the dialog box.  Mine was at .xml by
> default.
>
> I just tried to do a test save of my accounts' exports to C:\ (which win 7
> doesn't allow), and it failed silently.  Tried it again and same result.
>
> James Fuller, if you're using Win 10, it's possible that if you're
> attempting to save to C:\ Windows 10 isn't allowing it, and if you're using
> GnuCash 3.x, it's based on GTK3 (sp?) so it's not failing silently like my
> older version did, but it's not really giving you an appropriate error
> message either.  It should be something like "saving in reserved location
> is forbidden"
>
> If so, you're going to want to select a place to store the accounts export
> file that's not at the very root of the hard drive.  That is, not C:\.
> However, some folder on C:\ is OK.  There's usually a folder where Windows
> computers encourage users to store their files, like C:\Users\James
> (replace James with whatever the user's name is.)  Try saving there.  Or,
> C:\Users\James\Desktop
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis
>

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2019 at 5:06 PM Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I’m on a Mac, which doesn’t care about file extensions, but perhaps that
> > is what Windows was complaining about. Despite the fact that the export
> is
> > CSV (with custom delimiter) it saved it without an extension. If the
> > Windows build does the same, this might be the cause of the error.
> >
> > Try giving your file a “.csv” extension.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien
> >
> > > On Jul 28, 2019, at 6:43 PM, James Fuller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to export my chart of accounts so that I can start a new set
> > of books. After opening Gnucash I move to the File drop down menu.  then
> > choosing Export I get a screen that offers options. I choose export
> > accounts.  A screen pops up that wants ( i think ) the name of the file
> > be saved.  In this case I'm using the name ' CruzersGnu19 '.  I then
> select
> > C: for the drive. when I accept Save As, I get an error message that says
> > >
> > > " there was an error saving the file" "invalid argument" Obviously I'm
> > doing something wrong, but I  can't see what.  Any help would be
> > appreciated.
> > >
> > > James Fuller
> > >
> > > ps.  I'm accustomed to using apple Ipads.  I do a much better job of
> > communicating on them.  Grrr. Microsoft.

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Help with Export

Jack Lockard
As others have said, Windows 7 and 10 do not allow users to save files to the root of the C: drive nor in any system folder. It is best to save in C:\Users\YourName or sub-folder under there.

Jack