[GNC] Has the Android APP abandoned?

Kbyte
Hi,

I know that this is not the support ml about the Gnucash Android App, but
I'm writing here because it is advertised in the Gnucash homepage.

It's been a while since the developer seems to have abandoned the project.
No updates on Github, website, twitter.

It would be nice if the gnucash community will take the ownership of the
project.

What do you think?

Re: [GNC] Has the Android APP abandoned?

Peter West
Hello Kbyte,

I looked at the app, and it is promoted as a companion app for Gnucash on the desktop. It is, as I suspected, written in Java, whereas  Gnucash is written largely in C, as far as I can tell, with elements of Scheme and Python for certain modules.

There may be Android developers who use Gnucash, and who would be willing to look at this, but the Gnucash developers have their work cut out in maintaining and developing the main product.

Peter
--
Peter West
[hidden email]

> On 19 Sep 2019, at 2:11 am, Kbyte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I know that this is not the support ml about the Gnucash Android App, but
> I'm writing here because it is advertised in the Gnucash homepage.
>
> It's been a while since the developer seems to have abandoned the project.
> No updates on Github, website, twitter.
>
> It would be nice if the gnucash community will take the ownership of the
> project.
>
> What do you think?

Re: [GNC] Has the Android APP abandoned?

Adrien Monteleone-2
Mind that any app that can export CSV can be used with GnuCash for the most part. (and some that can export QIF as well)

The only trick with other apps will be that you might have to do a little more work on the import side, or processing the CSV a tad before importing.

I could be mistaken, but as I understood it, the Android app relied on this import functionality anyway. (I never used it myself)

While it would be nice to have an official or dedicated mobile app, if there are other apps that can export their date to open formats, that should be sufficient. (though not maybe simple)

> On Sep 18, 2019 w38d261, at 7:40 PM, Peter West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Kbyte,
>
> I looked at the app, and it is promoted as a companion app for Gnucash on the desktop. It is, as I suspected, written in Java, whereas  Gnucash is written largely in C, as far as I can tell, with elements of Scheme and Python for certain modules.
>
> There may be Android developers who use Gnucash, and who would be willing to look at this, but the Gnucash developers have their work cut out in maintaining and developing the main product.
>
> Peter

Re: [GNC] Has the Android APP abandoned?

Geert Janssens-4
I am interested in an android companion app for gnucash. One that's based on
the same core code as gnucash itself. Unfortunately this isn't the direction
the current android app went (it couldn't at the time).
And even more unfortunately I don't have spare time to work on this.

Returning to the bit that said the gnucash website is promoting the android
app - considering the android app seems to be abandoned, should we remove the
reference from our website or at least indicate it's currently unmaintained ?

Op donderdag 19 september 2019 03:39:10 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> Mind that any app that can export CSV can be used with GnuCash for the most
> part. (and some that can export QIF as well)
>
> The only trick with other apps will be that you might have to do a little
> more work on the import side, or processing the CSV a tad before importing.
>
> I could be mistaken, but as I understood it, the Android app relied on this
> import functionality anyway. (I never used it myself)
>
> While it would be nice to have an official or dedicated mobile app, if there
> are other apps that can export their date to open formats, that should be
> sufficient. (though not maybe simple)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Sep 18, 2019 w38d261, at 7:40 PM, Peter West <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Kbyte,
> >
> > I looked at the app, and it is promoted as a companion app for Gnucash on
> > the desktop. It is, as I suspected, written in Java, whereas  Gnucash is
> > written largely in C, as far as I can tell, with elements of Scheme and
> > Python for certain modules.
> >
> > There may be Android developers who use Gnucash, and who would be willing
> > to look at this, but the Gnucash developers have their work cut out in
> > maintaining and developing the main product.
> >
> > Peter

> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----

Re: [GNC] Has the Android APP abandoned?

Kbyte
You hit the main point of my initial post.

Who visit the website believes that it is the official android application
and that it's maintained currently.

If the community can't (won't) take the ownership of the app, I think that
we have just to remove the banner in the homepage.

--
| /
| \Byte - Andrea Briganti
Blog: http://kbyte.snowpenguin.org

Re: [GNC] Has the Android APP abandoned?

Greg Feneis
Perhaps there is a FOSS GUI platform similar to GTK that includes all of
the usual target OSes plus Android?

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:08 AM Andrea Briganti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You hit the main point of my initial post.
>
> Who visit the website believes that it is the official android application
> and that it's maintained currently.
>
> If the community can't (won't) take the ownership of the app, I think that
> we have just to remove the banner in the homepage.
>

> > Returning to the bit that said the gnucash website is promoting the
> > android
> > app - considering the android app seems to be abandoned, should we remove
> > the
> > reference from our website or at least indicate it's currently
> > unmaintained ?
> >

> --
> | /
> | \Byte - Andrea Briganti
> Blog: http://kbyte.snowpenguin.org

Re: [GNC] Has the Android APP abandoned?

Geert Janssens-4
I believe both Qt and wxWidgets have android support.

Switching to another gui framework has been discussed in the past. While it's
still a long term goal, it's not the only roadblock to having a gnucash app on
android that shares code with gnucash on the desktop.

It requires a big refactoring of the core non-gui internals as well. The
conversion to C++ is the an important aspect of this, which unfortunately got
mostly stalled after the 3.0 release due to all the issues we have had with
the forced upgrade to gtk3 (which was forced upon us by the removal of webkit1
from most distros close to the 3.0 release).

Perhaps the C++ conversion doesn't have to be complete. There are two aspects
that currently likely block a port to android (or ios for that matter):
* some functionality is written in scheme instead of C(++). That can't be
ported and has to be rewritten.
* most of the code is heavily dependent on glib2, which we think is a major
hurdle to porting as well.

Good news is work on the C++ port is slowly picking up again.