[GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Jack Slater
Just tried to start up GC. Fresh boot of Win 10 PC and I get a message
window:

"GnuCash could not obtain the lock for C:\" ( etc. file location)

option to open read only (wont work for me!),create new file, open anyway,
quit

I need to get that file open it has all my data!

I do have a back up.

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Jack Slater
Life is soooo easy when you know the answers! Thanks for the speedy reply!

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:15 PM Tom Balaban <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simple fix. Close GNUCash. Use File Explorer to navigate to your GC data
> folder. Near the bottom you'll see a file with type LCK. Delete it. Open
> GC and enjoy.

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Derek Atkins-3
Hi Jack,

On Wed, March 13, 2019 2:09 pm, Jack Slater wrote:
> Just tried to start up GC. Fresh boot of Win 10 PC and I get a message
> window:
>
> "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for C:\" ( etc. file location)
>
> option to open read only (wont work for me!),create new file, open anyway,
> quit

First thing to try:  Do you have another copy of GnuCash open?
If NOT...  What happens of you try "Open Anyway"?

Here's what's going on.  When GnuCash is open, it creates the lock file to
ensure a second copy doesn't grab the file and possibly cause you to lose
data.  If you shut down the computer while GnuCash was still running then
GnuCash didn't exit cleanly and, as a result, didn't delete the lock file.

The "Open Anyway" option is basically your way to tell GnuCash that this
is what happened.

So, does that work?

> I need to get that file open it has all my data!
>
> I do have a back up.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Maf. King
On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 18:09:12 GMT Jack Slater wrote:

> Just tried to start up GC. Fresh boot of Win 10 PC and I get a message
> window:
>
> "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for C:\" ( etc. file location)
>
> option to open read only (wont work for me!),create new file, open anyway,
> quit
>
> I need to get that file open it has all my data!
>
> I do have a back up.

Hi,

this happens if GC has crashed or otherwise not shut down properly.   If you
are sure that GC is not still running, and another user hasn't got the file
open, then the "open anyway" option is the one to go for.  Does exactly the
same thing as going and deleting the lock manually in a file manger...

Maf.

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Jack Slater
Hi Derek - I used Tom's answer:

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:22 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>

> On Wed, March 13, 2019 2:09 pm, Jack Slater wrote:
> > Just tried to start up GC. Fresh boot of Win 10 PC and I get a message
> > window:
> >
> > "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for C:\" ( etc. file location)
> >
> > option to open read only (wont work for me!),create new file, open
> anyway,
> > quit
>
> First thing to try:  Do you have another copy of GnuCash open?
> If NOT...  What happens of you try "Open Anyway"?
>
> Here's what's going on.  When GnuCash is open, it creates the lock file to
> ensure a second copy doesn't grab the file and possibly cause you to lose
> data.  If you shut down the computer while GnuCash was still running then
> GnuCash didn't exit cleanly and, as a result, didn't delete the lock file.
>
> The "Open Anyway" option is basically your way to tell GnuCash that this
> is what happened.
>
> So, does that work?
>
> > I need to get that file open it has all my data!
> >
> > I do have a back up.

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Well, I find it much simpler to click "Open anyway" since I know no one else has my Gnucash file open.

On March 14, 2019, at 12:01 AM, Jack Slater <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Derek - I used Tom's answer:
Simple fix. Close GNUCash. Use File Explorer to navigate to your GC data
folder. Near the bottom you'll see a file with type LCK. Delete it. Open
GC and enjoy.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:22 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>

> On Wed, March 13, 2019 2:09 pm, Jack Slater wrote:
> > Just tried to start up GC. Fresh boot of Win 10 PC and I get a message
> > window:
> >
> > "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for C:\" ( etc. file location)
> >
> > option to open read only (wont work for me!),create new file, open
> anyway,
> > quit
>
> First thing to try:  Do you have another copy of GnuCash open?
> If NOT...  What happens of you try "Open Anyway"?
>
> Here's what's going on.  When GnuCash is open, it creates the lock file to
> ensure a second copy doesn't grab the file and possibly cause you to lose
> data.  If you shut down the computer while GnuCash was still running then
> GnuCash didn't exit cleanly and, as a result, didn't delete the lock file.
>
> The "Open Anyway" option is basically your way to tell GnuCash that this
> is what happened.
>
> So, does that work?
>
> > I need to get that file open it has all my data!
> >
> > I do have a back up.

>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Derek Atkins-3
I would think just clicking "Open Anyway" would be easier.
But glad you got it working :)

-derek

On Wed, March 13, 2019 2:28 pm, Jack Slater wrote:

> Hi Derek - I used Tom's answer:
> Simple fix. Close GNUCash. Use File Explorer to navigate to your GC data
> folder. Near the bottom you'll see a file with type LCK. Delete it. Open
> GC and enjoy.
>
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:22 PM Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jack,
>>

>> On Wed, March 13, 2019 2:09 pm, Jack Slater wrote:
>> > Just tried to start up GC. Fresh boot of Win 10 PC and I get a message
>> > window:
>> >
>> > "GnuCash could not obtain the lock for C:\" ( etc. file location)
>> >
>> > option to open read only (wont work for me!),create new file, open
>> anyway,
>> > quit
>>
>> First thing to try:  Do you have another copy of GnuCash open?
>> If NOT...  What happens of you try "Open Anyway"?
>>
>> Here's what's going on.  When GnuCash is open, it creates the lock file
>> ensure a second copy doesn't grab the file and possibly cause you to
>> lose
>> data.  If you shut down the computer while GnuCash was still running
>> then
>> GnuCash didn't exit cleanly and, as a result, didn't delete the lock
>> file.
>>
>> The "Open Anyway" option is basically your way to tell GnuCash that this
>> is what happened.
>>
>> So, does that work?
>>
>> > I need to get that file open it has all my data!
>> >
>> > I do have a back up.

>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Michael or Penny Novack
On 3/13/2019 2:57 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I would think just clicking "Open Anyway" would be easier.
> But glad you got it working :)
>
> -derek

  The important thing is that BEFORE you jump to either using "open
anyway" or deleting the lock file you take a few seconds to think about
WHY this happened?

IF you are positive there was no crash or force shutdown with gnucash
running CHECK that there isn't an instance of gnucash running. In other
words, close the one you are in and then check the list of running jobs.

Michael D Novack

PS: Do NOT simply delete every file ending with extension .lck Just the
one associated to the gnucash file you are trying to open (look at the
part before the .lck)   It isn't only gnucash that uses lock files.

Re: [GNC] HELP! No lock!?

Jack Slater
I’ll do that from now on now that I know it’s safe