[GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

Bostjan Vilfan-2
Hello,
I haven't used gnucash for some time, and when I tried to call the program
the splash screen appears, and the program immediately terminates. Can
someone help?
Regards,
bostjanv

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

David Carlson-4
What version Gnucash? what os?

Liz

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

Liz
On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 20:51:42 -0600
David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What version Gnucash? what os?
>
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 8:27 PM Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I haven't used gnucash for some time, and when I tried to call the
> > program the splash screen appears, and the program immediately
> > terminates. Can someone help?
> > Regards,
> > bostjanv

Reading between the lines of the mail header, could be a linux distro.
If a linux distro you may have updated something else and lost a
dependency.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

Bostjan Vilfan-2
I tried both, gnucash 3.4 as well as 2.6.26; therefore it could be
something with Windows 10 version 1809; in case you are able to figure out
something, I am enclosing link to Windows msinfo results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/heoqxgbi7xvha1a/msinfo.nfo?dl=0

Regards,
bostjanv

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 5:30 AM Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email] wrote:

> I tried both, gnucash 3.4 as well as 2.6.26; therefore it could be
> something with Windows 10 version 1809; in case you are able to figure out
> something, I am enclosing link to Windows msinfo results:
>

> Regards,
> bostjanv
>
>> ______

There are instructions in the Gnucash wiki on how to get error messages out
of Gnucash, I am not online right now, so I cannot tell you exactly where,
I just remember that it is not an easy task.

There is also a way to start Gnucash from the command line without a data
file.  Sometimes a bad data file can cause a crash.  Again the exact
procedure escapes me, but other users or devs may be able to help.

Sorry I cannot be more help right now.

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

John Ralls-2

> On Feb 5, 2019, at 6:35 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 5:30 AM Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I tried both, gnucash 3.4 as well as 2.6.26; therefore it could be
>> something with Windows 10 version 1809; in case you are able to figure out
>> something, I am enclosing link to Windows msinfo results:
>>

>> Regards,
>> bostjanv
>>
>>> ______
>>>

> There are instructions in the Gnucash wiki on how to get error messages out
> of Gnucash, I am not online right now, so I cannot tell you exactly where,
> I just remember that it is not an easy task.
>
> There is also a way to start Gnucash from the command line without a data
> file.  Sometimes a bad data file can cause a crash.  Again the exact
> procedure escapes me, but other users or devs may be able to help.
>
> Sorry I cannot be more help right now.

The instructions are at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile and https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/stack_trace. The trace file is easy. The stack trace is hard only on windows, but is the most useful when you have a crash.

Please don't post either here: Crashes deserve bug reports.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

Bostjan Vilfan-2
Thanks, I'll check them out.

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:43 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Feb 5, 2019, at 6:35 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 5:30 AM Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >> I tried both, gnucash 3.4 as well as 2.6.26; therefore it could be
> >> something with Windows 10 version 1809; in case you are able to figure
> out
> >> something, I am enclosing link to Windows msinfo results:
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> bostjanv

> > There are instructions in the Gnucash wiki on how to get error messages
> out
> > of Gnucash, I am not online right now, so I cannot tell you exactly
> where,
> > I just remember that it is not an easy task.
> >
> > There is also a way to start Gnucash from the command line without a data
> > file.  Sometimes a bad data file can cause a crash.  Again the exact
> > procedure escapes me, but other users or devs may be able to help.
> >
> > Sorry I cannot be more help right now.
>
> The instructions are at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile and
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/stack_trace. The trace file is easy. The
> stack trace is hard only on windows, but is the most useful when you have a
> crash.
>
> Please don't post either here: Crashes deserve bug reports.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

Bostjan Vilfan-2
I managed to obtain the trace file (which, however, is very short). When I
called gnucash without further parameters the trace file was empty;
however, when I used "gnucash --debug --extra I obtained

* 17:19:03  INFO <gnc.gui> [main] System locale returned C
* 17:19:03  INFO <gnc.gui> [main] Effective locale set to C.
* 17:19:03  INFO <gnc.engine> [gnc_hook_lookup] no hook lists

Is the phrase "no hook lists" relevant?

Regards,
bostjanv

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:56 PM Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, I'll check them out.
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:43 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> > On Feb 5, 2019, at 6:35 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>> out

>> > There are instructions in the Gnucash wiki on how to get error messages
>> out
>> > of Gnucash, I am not online right now, so I cannot tell you exactly
>> where,
>> > I just remember that it is not an easy task.
>> >
>> > There is also a way to start Gnucash from the command line without a
>> data
>> > file.  Sometimes a bad data file can cause a crash.  Again the exact
>> > procedure escapes me, but other users or devs may be able to help.
>> >
>> > Sorry I cannot be more help right now.
>>
>> The instructions are at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile and
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/stack_trace. The trace file is easy. The
>> stack trace is hard only on windows, but is the most useful when you have a
>> crash.
>>
>> Please don't post either here: Crashes deserve bug reports.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

John Ralls-2
Probably not.

What are your Language and Region settings? Have you set up a different locale in the environment file?

> On Feb 5, 2019, at 9:05 AM, Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I managed to obtain the trace file (which, however, is very short). When I called gnucash without further parameters the trace file was empty; however, when I used "gnucash --debug --extra I obtained
>
> * 17:19:03  INFO <gnc.gui> [main] System locale returned C
> * 17:19:03  INFO <gnc.gui> [main] Effective locale set to C.
> * 17:19:03  INFO <gnc.engine> [gnc_hook_lookup] no hook lists
>
> Is the phrase "no hook lists" relevant?
>
> Regards,
> bostjanv
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:56 PM Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks, I'll check them out.
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:43 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 5, 2019, at 6:35 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 5, 2019, 5:30 AM Bostjan Vilfan <[hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >> I tried both, gnucash 3.4 as well as 2.6.26; therefore it could be
> >> something with Windows 10 version 1809; in case you are able to figure out
> >> something, I am enclosing link to Windows msinfo results:
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> bostjanv

> > There are instructions in the Gnucash wiki on how to get error messages out
> > of Gnucash, I am not online right now, so I cannot tell you exactly where,
> > I just remember that it is not an easy task.
> >
> > There is also a way to start Gnucash from the command line without a data
> > file.  Sometimes a bad data file can cause a crash.  Again the exact
> > procedure escapes me, but other users or devs may be able to help.
> >
> > Sorry I cannot be more help right now.
>
> The instructions are at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile and https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/stack_trace. The trace file is easy. The stack trace is hard only on windows, but is the most useful when you have a crash.
>
> Please don't post either here: Crashes deserve bug reports.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash terminates immediately

Bostjan Vilfan-2
Thanks  for your hint. I looked at my language settings, and I found that
the languages were in the order (1) English (Slovenia); (2) English (United
States); ... Since the gnucash installation language was (2) all I had to
do was to change the order of (1) and (2), and the  program now works.
Regards,
bostjanv