[GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

gnucash@pelchar.no-ip.org
Hi,

I'm having trouble starting gnucash on Catalina. Here's the message I get
from the command line:

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
95: /Volumes/Macintosh
HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Bad CPU type in
executable
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
95: /Volumes/Macintosh
HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Undefined error: 0

Anybody has a clue?

Thanks

GWB

Re: [GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

GWB
I'm not a dev, but I do know that Catalina (OS X 10.15) is having
compatibility problems with a number of apps that worked on OS X 10.14.
Webroot just discovered their app won't work on Catalina.

Assuming all the 32 bit libraries are now 64 bit in Gnucash 3.7 this may be
a false alarm from the Catalina OS.  But it still won't launch.

Can you rollback to 10.14 using Apple's tmutil app? The gui is Time
Machine. Apple supposedly snapshots the prior OS when you upgrade to the
next.

I just got the upgrade message on my Mac this evening but declined after
seeing the emails from webroot so mine still has 10.14.

Let's see if anyone on the list has gnucash working on Catalina and also if
the devs have any ideas on this.

Gordon

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 7:59 PM [hidden email] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble starting gnucash on Catalina. Here's the message I get
> from the command line:
>
> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
> 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
> HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Bad CPU type in
> executable
> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
> 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
> HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Undefined error: 0
>
> Anybody has a clue?
>
> Thanks

Re: [GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble starting gnucash on Catalina. Here's the message I get
> from the command line:
>
> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
> 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
> HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Bad CPU type in
> executable
> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
> 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
> HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Undefined error: 0
>
> Anybody has a clue?

What version of GnuCash?

GWB

Re: [GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

GWB
Chronosync is another app that needed some work to integrate smoothly
with Catalina.  This excerpt from their email to users explains:

<<
The Catalina Split
Catalina introduces a new APFS feature called ‘Volume Groups’. Under
Catalina, Apple takes advantage of this ability and splits the boot
volume into two components: System and Data. The System volume is
read-only and contains all the operating system files that should
never change during use of the computer. The Data volume contains
everything else, including the user’s home folders. Through a new
Apple feature known as firmlinks, the two volumes are linked together
to appear as one volume to the user, so you will only see one drive on
your Mac. However, there really are two distinct boot volumes mounted.
You can see the two volumes using Disk Utility or by mounting the
drive on an older macOS. If running a bootable backup, we strongly
recommend starting fresh with a new backup volume and not to copy over
your old bootable backup volume. Read the ChronoSync Catalina Tech
Note for all the details.

This may have no relevance at all, but if your version of GnuCash
"needs" to alter a specific file in the System folder (which is
doubtful, but possible) Catalina may be using a "hard link" instead of
the underlying file.  The devs would know.

I'm not sure, but it looks like Apple is re-inventing the old LVM and
calling it something different.  It's usually good to separate boot OS
from data (Unix welcomes Apple to 1998!), but this might not be the
way to do it.  Better to just mount them in separate LVM
containers/volumes, and snapshot them.

What type of CPU does system information report on your mac?  The
error message "Bad CPU type in executable" might be Catalina seeing a
CPU call from GnuCash (amd64 bit i7, usually) as something else.

Gordon

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:19 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having trouble starting gnucash on Catalina. Here's the message I get
> > from the command line:
> >
> > /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
> > 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
> > HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Bad CPU type in
> > executable
> > /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
> > 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
> > HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Undefined error: 0
> >
> > Anybody has a clue?
>
> What version of GnuCash?

Re: [GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

John Ralls-2
Cool it with the wild speculation.

FYI I've been running GnuCash 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7 on Catalina since the first developer beta in early June with no issues at all.

I suspect from the error messages that the OP is trying to run GnuCash 2.6.x. Those were built as 32-bit apps to support MacOS 10.5 and 10.6. Catalina won't run 32-bit apps. That's why I asked the OP what version of GnuCash they're trying to run.

> On Oct 10, 2019, at 7:48 PM, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Chronosync is another app that needed some work to integrate smoothly
> with Catalina.  This excerpt from their email to users explains:
>
> <<
> The Catalina Split
> Catalina introduces a new APFS feature called ‘Volume Groups’. Under
> Catalina, Apple takes advantage of this ability and splits the boot
> volume into two components: System and Data. The System volume is
> read-only and contains all the operating system files that should
> never change during use of the computer. The Data volume contains
> everything else, including the user’s home folders. Through a new
> Apple feature known as firmlinks, the two volumes are linked together
> to appear as one volume to the user, so you will only see one drive on
> your Mac. However, there really are two distinct boot volumes mounted.
> You can see the two volumes using Disk Utility or by mounting the
> drive on an older macOS. If running a bootable backup, we strongly
> recommend starting fresh with a new backup volume and not to copy over
> your old bootable backup volume. Read the ChronoSync Catalina Tech
> Note for all the details.
>>>

> This may have no relevance at all, but if your version of GnuCash
> "needs" to alter a specific file in the System folder (which is
> doubtful, but possible) Catalina may be using a "hard link" instead of
> the underlying file.  The devs would know.
>
> I'm not sure, but it looks like Apple is re-inventing the old LVM and
> calling it something different.  It's usually good to separate boot OS
> from data (Unix welcomes Apple to 1998!), but this might not be the
> way to do it.  Better to just mount them in separate LVM
> containers/volumes, and snapshot them.
>
> What type of CPU does system information report on your mac?  The
> error message "Bad CPU type in executable" might be Catalina seeing a
> CPU call from GnuCash (amd64 bit i7, usually) as something else.
>
> Gordon
>
> On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:19 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having trouble starting gnucash on Catalina. Here's the message I get
>>> from the command line:
>>>
>>> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
>>> 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
>>> HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Bad CPU type in
>>> executable
>>> /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash: line
>>> 95: /Volumes/Macintosh
>>> HD/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin: Undefined error: 0
>>>
>>> Anybody has a clue?
>>
>> What version of GnuCash?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls

Re: [GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

I am having a problem running GNUcash 3.7 on Catalina as well. I downloaded
that version today and get the error below in the Console. I tried under a
different user but same issue.

Any ideas?

Oct 14 16:03:51 KobePro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
(com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000018.Gnucash[7193]): Service exited
with abnormal code: 1

Re: [GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina - SOLVED

I had problems opening GNUcash by clicking on the icon after upgrading to
Catalina.
Running : Open Gnucash.app from inside a Terminal window worked fine.

Koert

Re: [GNC] Gnucash on MacOs Catalina

> On Oct 14, 2019, at 4:11 PM, Kees Blom via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am having a problem running GNUcash 3.7 on Catalina as well. I downloaded
> that version today and get the error below in the Console. I tried under a
> different user but same issue.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Oct 14 16:03:51 KobePro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
> (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x10000018.Gnucash[7193]): Service exited
> with abnormal code: 1

Is there a crash report in Console? Anything useful in the trace file? (see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile).

If not, try opening Applications:Utilities:Terminal and running it from the command line:
  /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
adjusting the path if you put it somewhere else. Is there any output there?