[GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

[GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

James  E
I  used to run  Gnucash 2.6.12  in Ubuntu 14.04 .

I upgraded  to Ubuntu 16.04    . During the upgrade  I was asked if I wanted
to keep several Gnucash   files/piece of information – one of which was  the
Alpha Advantage API key .  I replied that I did .

The upgrade appeared to have finished successfully  . All of the
programmes/applications worked   but  with  one exception – Gnucash.

The Gnucash loading screen and the tip of the day showed  up for a several
seconds
and both disappeared  again.

I  then decided to install  Gnucash  from the  Ubuntu Software centre –
hoping that this would be compatible with 16.04   . So I removed the
existing  Gnucash  using the Ubuntu Software centre and installed Gnucash  .

This failed  in the same way - the Gnucash loading screen and the tip of the
day showed up for a several seconds  and both disappeared again.

I found from research that Ubuntu repositories usually contain a version of
Gnucash that is a release or two behind the latest stable version and  that
Gnucash 2.6.12 is included in Ubuntu 16.04 –  this is the  same Gnucash
version as I was using   in Ubuntu  14.04 .

I give below  the terminal output  when I tried to run Gnucash :

jm@jm-OptiPlex-9020:~$ gnucash
;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
;;; compiling /usr/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/business-gnome.scm
;;; compiling /usr/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/business-reports.scm
;;; WARNING: compilation of
/usr/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/business-reports.scm failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure #<procedure 5611372c8120 ()>: Unbound variable:
gnc:menuname-business-reports
;;; WARNING: compilation of
/usr/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/business-gnome.scm failed:
;;; ERROR: In procedure #<procedure 561136e6f180 ()>: Unbound variable:
gnc:menuname-business-reports
Backtrace:
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
 157: 11 [catch #t #<catch-closure 561135f66c00> ...]
In unknown file:
   ?: 10 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure 561135f66c00>]
   ?: 9 [call-with-input-string "(gnc:report-menu-setup)" ...]
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
2401: 8 [save-module-excursion #<procedure 56113692ecc0 at
ice-9/eval-string.scm:65:9 ()>]
In ice-9/eval-string.scm:
  44: 7 [read-and-eval #<input: string 56113740f1a0> #:lang ...]
  37: 6 [lp (gnc:report-menu-setup)]
In gnucash/report/report-gnome.scm:
 155: 5 [gnc:report-menu-setup]
In unknown file:
   ?: 4 [gnc-hook-run "hook_report" ()]
In ice-9/eval.scm:
 387: 3 [eval # #]
 387: 2 [eval # #]
 393: 1 [eval #<memoized gnc:menuname-business-reports> #<directory #
561137149870>]
In unknown file:
   ?: 0 [memoize-variable-access! # #]

ERROR: In procedure memoize-variable-access!:
ERROR: Unbound variable: gnc:menuname-business-reports
jm@jm-OptiPlex-9020:~$

Re: [GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

Colin Law
On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 07:44, James E <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I  used to run  Gnucash 2.6.12  in Ubuntu 14.04 .
>
> I upgraded  to Ubuntu 16.04    . During the upgrade  I was asked if I wanted
> to keep several Gnucash   files/piece of information – one of which was  the
> Alpha Advantage API key .  I replied that I did .
>
> The upgrade appeared to have finished successfully  . All of the
> programmes/applications worked   but  with  one exception – Gnucash.

What do these commands show?
which gnucash
apt-cache policy gnucash

Colin

Op donderdag 8 augustus 2019 08:41:33 CEST schreef James E:

> [...]
>    ?: 9 [call-with-input-string "(gnc:report-menu-setup)" ...]
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> 2401: 8 [save-module-excursion #<procedure 56113692ecc0 at
> ice-9/eval-string.scm:65:9 ()>]
> In ice-9/eval-string.scm:
>   44: 7 [read-and-eval #<input: string 56113740f1a0> #:lang ...]
>   37: 6 [lp (gnc:report-menu-setup)]
> In gnucash/report/report-gnome.scm:
>  155: 5 [gnc:report-menu-setup]
> In unknown file:
>    ?: 4 [gnc-hook-run "hook_report" ()]
> In ice-9/eval.scm:
>  387: 3 [eval # #]
>  387: 2 [eval # #]
>  393: 1 [eval #<memoized gnc:menuname-business-reports> #<directory #
> 561137149870>]
> In unknown file:
>    ?: 0 [memoize-variable-access! # #]
>
> ERROR: In procedure memoize-variable-access!:
> ERROR: Unbound variable: gnc:menuname-business-reports

GnuCash is partly written in the guile language, which is a scripting language
that supports just in time compilation of the source files. The WARNINGs above
indicate that this is happening on your system the first time you run gnucash.

However as gnucash should have been shipped with the proper pre-compiled
source files, this auto compilation should not have happened and is in fact
causing issues: one of the auto compilation steps fails which is why
everything seems to come to a halt.

So it is now a matter of figuring out why this goes wrong. Colin's questions
may be a first step to get more details.

It would also be interesting to know which version of guile is installed on
your system and possibly which version of guile was used to build gnucash.
These should be the same.

Also what is the contents of
$HOME/.cache/guile/ccache/

Next, can you empty that directory and try to run gnucash again ? (It's safe
to empty this directory, it's just a build cache for guile, you won't lose any
data).
Does it give the same error in the trace file ?

Re: [GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

James  E
Colin . Commands show :

jm@jm-OptiPlex-9020:~$ which gnucash
/usr/bin/gnucash
jm@jm-OptiPlex-9020:~$ apt-cache policy gnucash
gnucash:
  Installed: 1:2.6.12-1
  Candidate: 1:2.6.12-1
  Version table:
 *** 1:2.6.12-1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
jm@jm-OptiPlex-9020:~$

Re: [GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

James  E
gnucash_fail_20190806_04.odt
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t376064/gnucash_fail_20190806_04.odt>

Q Which version of guile is installed on the system.

jm@jm-OptiPlex-9020:~$ guile -v
guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.11
Packaged by Debian (2.0.11-deb+1-10ubuntu0.1)

License LGPLv3+: GNU LGPL 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html>.

Q Which version  of guile was used to build gnucash .

A  I do not know how to do this .

Q Also what is the contents of
$HOME/.cache/guile/ccache/

A There is folder " 2.0-LE-8-2.0 "  with sub folders below.

I deleted this file and ran gnucash again .
The attached file show the output at the terminal.
Gnucash  now runs successfully .

*Geert thank you very much .
*

Re: [GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 8 augustus 2019 15:32:17 CEST schreef James E:

> gnucash_fail_20190806_04.odt
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t376064/gnucash_fail_20190806_04.
> odt>
>
> Q Which version of guile is installed on the system.

> jm@jm-OptiPlex-9020:~$ guile -v
> guile (GNU Guile) 2.0.11
> Packaged by Debian (2.0.11-deb+1-10ubuntu0.1)
>
> License LGPLv3+: GNU LGPL 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html>.
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> Q Which version  of guile was used to build gnucash .
>
> A  I do not know how to do this .
>
> Q Also what is the contents of
> $HOME/.cache/guile/ccache/
>
> A There is folder " 2.0-LE-8-2.0 "  with sub folders below.
>
> I deleted this file and ran gnucash again .
> The attached file show the output at the terminal.
> Gnucash  now runs successfully .
>
> *Geert thank you very much .
> *

Good that this got you to run gnucash successfully.

I note from the log gnucash still resorts to autocompiling the guile scripts
though. That means you may run into the same issue on the next gnucash
upgrade.

Can you post a list of all files that were installed with the gnucash package
? I believe you can use the command
dpkg-query -L gnucash
for this (I'm not on Ubuntu myself, so I'm not completely sure).

Re: [GNC] Gnucash fails to run after upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04

James  E
Q dpkg-query -L gnucash

A The attached file shows the output at the terminal.
  gnucash_fail_20190806_05.odt
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t376064/gnucash_fail_20190806_05.odt>

Op vrijdag 9 augustus 2019 12:07:33 CEST schreef James E:
> Q dpkg-query -L gnucash
>
> A The attached file shows the output at the terminal.
>   gnucash_fail_20190806_05.odt
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t376064/gnucash_fail_20190806_05.
> odt>

Ok, I see where it goes wrong.

The source guile files have extension ".scm" and the compiled guile files have
extension ".go". However it seems like on Ubuntu 16.04 guile is looking for a
compiled file by extension ".scm.go" rather than ".go". As gnucash ships only
".go" files, guile won't find what it's looking for and starts autocompiling
all files to ".scm.go" files.

I'm not sure what this is happening exactly, though I vaguely remember this to
be a bug in certain older versions of guile.

There's not much that can be done from the gnucash project side. Perhaps the
Ubuntu maintainer could request an updated version of guile although I don't
know how package updates are handled for LTS releases.