[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Plutocrat
Hi,

I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on 2.6

So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly how this works.

However I just came across this in my research. If I read it correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
        https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1

Here's hoping.

P.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 9:52 PM, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1

AFAIK 3.x is active in Sid thanks to Dmitry Smirnov, who’s been doing the Debian packaging for the last couple of years. The Debian folks seem to be in less of a rush than Red Hat to get rid of libwebkit1.

We were contacted in late March by the Ubuntu packagers who were getting ready for 18.04. Not wanting a dot-zero release in an LTS Ubuntu we suggested that they should use the latest 2.6.x; I think that they picked 2.6.19. I like to imagine that they’ll put 3.3 in 18.10.

I don’t know anything about who maintains Getdeb. Maybe Colin will have some insight.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Bert Riding
gnucash 1:3.0-1 has been available in the experimental Debian
repository for quite some time.  Nothing more current though.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:52:51 +0800
Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu
> repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around
> September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There
> was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via
> a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to
> contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on
> 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure
> out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are
> the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just
> looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly
> how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it
> correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and
> so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then
> to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> P.

> ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.

Bert Riding

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Bert Riding
I spoke too soon.  1:3.2-1 is now out in the unstable Debian repo.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:52:51 +0800
Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu
> repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around
> September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There
> was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via
> a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to
> contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on
> 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure
> out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are
> the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just
> looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly
> how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it
> correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and
> so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then
> to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> P.

> ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.

Bert Riding

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

ChrisGood
> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:52:51 +0800
> From: Plutocrat <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu
repositories.
> I previously used getdeb, which went silent around September 2017. I tried
> contacting the owners, but no reply. There was also an attempt on
Launchpad
> to provided more recent versions via a PPA, but that also went inactive a
few
> years back. Again I tried to contact the owners, but no response. And the
main
> repos are stuck on 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure out
if I can
> start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are the necessary
steps to
> fill it with .deb files. I was initially just looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu
18.04. Still
> haven't figured out exactly how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it correctly,
then it
> seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and so, eventually, to Ubuntu
18.10.
> Possibly it will be backported then to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> P.

Hi Plutocrat,

I recently investigated the Debian archive and found the V#3.0-1 there
should run on Ubuntu 18.04 (but not 16.04) but I haven't tested it.
There is also V#3.2-1 there but I haven't checked that.

See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu#GnuCash_.40_Debian_Archive

I'll update that wiki.

Regards, Chris Good