[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

12

[GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Plutocrat
Hi,

I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on 2.6

So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly how this works.

However I just came across this in my research. If I read it correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
        https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1

Here's hoping.

P.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 9:52 PM, Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1

AFAIK 3.x is active in Sid thanks to Dmitry Smirnov, who’s been doing the Debian packaging for the last couple of years. The Debian folks seem to be in less of a rush than Red Hat to get rid of libwebkit1.

We were contacted in late March by the Ubuntu packagers who were getting ready for 18.04. Not wanting a dot-zero release in an LTS Ubuntu we suggested that they should use the latest 2.6.x; I think that they picked 2.6.19. I like to imagine that they’ll put 3.3 in 18.10.

I don’t know anything about who maintains Getdeb. Maybe Colin will have some insight.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Bert Riding
gnucash 1:3.0-1 has been available in the experimental Debian
repository for quite some time.  Nothing more current though.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:52:51 +0800
Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu
> repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around
> September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There
> was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via
> a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to
> contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on
> 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure
> out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are
> the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just
> looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly
> how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it
> correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and
> so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then
> to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> P.

> ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.

Bert Riding

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Bert Riding
I spoke too soon.  1:3.2-1 is now out in the unstable Debian repo.

On Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:52:51 +0800
Plutocrat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu
> repositories. I previously used getdeb, which went silent around
> September 2017. I tried contacting the owners, but no reply. There
> was also an attempt on Launchpad to provided more recent versions via
> a PPA, but that also went inactive a few years back. Again I tried to
> contact the owners, but no response. And the main repos are stuck on
> 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure
> out if I can start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are
> the necessary steps to fill it with .deb files. I was initially just
> looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu 18.04. Still haven't figured out exactly
> how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it
> correctly, then it seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and
> so, eventually, to Ubuntu 18.10. Possibly it will be backported then
> to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> P.

> ----- Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.

Bert Riding

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

ChrisGood
> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:52:51 +0800
> From: Plutocrat <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

> I've been troubled by the lack of Gnucash activity in Debian/Ubuntu
repositories.
> I previously used getdeb, which went silent around September 2017. I tried
> contacting the owners, but no reply. There was also an attempt on
Launchpad
> to provided more recent versions via a PPA, but that also went inactive a
few
> years back. Again I tried to contact the owners, but no response. And the
main
> repos are stuck on 2.6
>
> So for the last week or so I've been looking around, trying to figure out
if I can
> start a PPA of my own, and looking for info on what are the necessary
steps to
> fill it with .deb files. I was initially just looking to do 3.x on Ubuntu
18.04. Still
> haven't figured out exactly how this works.
>
> However I just came across this in my research. If I read it correctly,
then it
> seems that 3.2 is being added to Debian Sid and so, eventually, to Ubuntu
18.10.
> Possibly it will be backported then to 18.04 and maybe even 16.x
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/1:3.2-1
>
> Here's hoping.
>
> P.

Hi Plutocrat,

I recently investigated the Debian archive and found the V#3.0-1 there
should run on Ubuntu 18.04 (but not 16.04) but I haven't tested it.
There is also V#3.2-1 there but I haven't checked that.

See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Ubuntu#GnuCash_.40_Debian_Archive

I'll update that wiki.

Regards, Chris Good

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Lincoln A Baxter
Just curious...  It has been almost a year since Gnucash was removed to
Debian testing.

It has (re)entered SID on 7/4, and there it sits...

Who is responsible for working on the "excuses" for why is stays in
SID: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnucash, and has not migrated to
Testing?

Lincoln

[hidden email] wrote on Tuesday, 21 August, 2018 08:41 AM:
> Just curious...  It has been almost a year since Gnucash was removed to
> Debian testing.
>
> It has (re)entered SID on 7/4, and there it sits...
>
> Who is responsible for working on the "excuses" for why is stays in
> SID: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnucash, and has not migrated to

As it was explained to me, if you can couch the reason for upgrade from 2.6 to 3.2 as a Bug Fix, rather than just a version / feature upgrade, it will likely get more attention. And I'd guess if it fixes any _security_ issues, that would be added impetus. So perhaps we could scrape together a list of bugs, the more serious the better?

On a related note, it seems that as flatpak is available across all distributions, perhaps the way forward for gnucash, would be to make a single, gnucash-sanctioned flatpak version available that would run anywhere on any distribution, and just focus on keeping that up to date. And obviously one which fixes the current mysql issues with the user-produced flatpak version out there currently.

P.

GWB

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

GWB
I'm not sure how the version history works in Ubuntu or Debian, but I
installed GnuCash 2.6.7 from getdeb.org quite a while ago, and
"pinned" it (so that apt-get upgrade would not go to the version up)
to that version hoping that gnucash in Ubuntu 14 would catch up with
2.6.7.  Ubuntu 14 ("Trusty Tahr") still only has 2.6.1, but 18.04
("Bionic Beaver" really? who comes up with these names?) has indeed
included 2.16.19, as John recalled.  18.04 is my next upgrade.

Every time I run "apt-get update" I am reminded that getdeb.org is
gone, and has been for some time.  Did getdeb.org have gnucash 3.0 at
some point before it went dark?

I don't see either the Ubuntu or Debian package maintainers (perhaps
the same person or team in this case) moving too quickly to upgrade
gnucash in their package repos.  But maybe I'm wrong, which would be
nice.  But if you do find a repository with 3.x.x, I would pin it (or
"version lock") to a lower version in order not to get too far ahead
of the main repos for your linux distribution.

Alas, 18.10 ("Cosmic Cuttlefish") lists:

gnucash (1:2.6.19-1)
    [universe]personal and small-business financial-accounting software

at https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnome/

Perhaps 19 ("Vomiting Vole") will have gnucash 3.  Until then, check
for other repos, look in unstable and testing to see if some
adventurous soul decided to be creative, and unless you absolutely
need some feature in the latest release, pin your version and don't
get too far ahead of the main repo for your distribution.

Gordon

GWB

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

GWB
As Bert pointed out, if you can use Debian unstable, the version is 3.2:

<<
Source Package: gnucash (1:3.2-1)

from https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/gnucash

Ironically, I usually find Debian unstable to be, in fact, more stable
than the "stable" version of some other distros.  But Debian will tell
you otherwise:

https://www.debian.org/releases/sid/

Listen to Debian in this case, especially since it's your financial
data.  So using the Ubuntu naming method, think of Sid Unstable as
"Sid Vicious", and expect lots of crashes, core dumps, and other nasty
things to occur when you're using gnucash.  They won't be caused by
gnucash, but they will affect what you're trying to do.

If you can navigate that and work around the instability, give it a
try.  I'm OK with 2.6.whatever until Ubuntu 18 gets 3.

Gordon

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure how the version history works in Ubuntu or Debian, but I
> installed GnuCash 2.6.7 from getdeb.org quite a while ago, and
> "pinned" it (so that apt-get upgrade would not go to the version up)
> to that version hoping that gnucash in Ubuntu 14 would catch up with
> 2.6.7.  Ubuntu 14 ("Trusty Tahr") still only has 2.6.1, but 18.04
> ("Bionic Beaver" really? who comes up with these names?) has indeed
> included 2.16.19, as John recalled.  18.04 is my next upgrade.
>
> Every time I run "apt-get update" I am reminded that getdeb.org is
> gone, and has been for some time.  Did getdeb.org have gnucash 3.0 at
> some point before it went dark?
>
> I don't see either the Ubuntu or Debian package maintainers (perhaps
> the same person or team in this case) moving too quickly to upgrade
> gnucash in their package repos.  But maybe I'm wrong, which would be
> nice.  But if you do find a repository with 3.x.x, I would pin it (or
> "version lock") to a lower version in order not to get too far ahead
> of the main repos for your linux distribution.
>
> Alas, 18.10 ("Cosmic Cuttlefish") lists:
>
> gnucash (1:2.6.19-1)
>     [universe]personal and small-business financial-accounting software
>
> at https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnome/
>
> Perhaps 19 ("Vomiting Vole") will have gnucash 3.  Until then, check
> for other repos, look in unstable and testing to see if some
> adventurous soul decided to be creative, and unless you absolutely
> need some feature in the latest release, pin your version and don't
> get too far ahead of the main repo for your distribution.
>
> Gordon
>
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 7:41 PM, Lincoln A Baxter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just curious...  It has been almost a year since Gnucash was removed to
>> Debian testing.
>>
>> It has (re)entered SID on 7/4, and there it sits...
>>
>> Who is responsible for working on the "excuses" for why is stays in
>> SID: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnucash, and has not migrated to
>> Testing?
>>
>> Lincoln
>>

>> On Thu, 2018-07-05 at 00:39 -0600, Bert Riding wrote:
>>> I spoke too soon.  1:3.2-1 is now out in the unstable Debian repo.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Stephen M. Butler
On 08/21/2018 03:11 PM, GWB wrote:

> As Bert pointed out, if you can use Debian unstable, the version is 3.2:
>
> <<
> Source Package: gnucash (1:3.2-1)
> from https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/gnucash
>
> Ironically, I usually find Debian unstable to be, in fact, more stable
> than the "stable" version of some other distros.  But Debian will tell
> you otherwise:
>
> https://www.debian.org/releases/sid/
>
> Listen to Debian in this case, especially since it's your financial
> data.  So using the Ubuntu naming method, think of Sid Unstable as
> "Sid Vicious", and expect lots of crashes, core dumps, and other nasty
> things to occur when you're using gnucash.  They won't be caused by
> gnucash, but they will affect what you're trying to do.
>
> If you can navigate that and work around the instability, give it a
> try.  I'm OK with 2.6.whatever until Ubuntu 18 gets 3.
>
> Gordon

I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 for some time and have found it to be
fine for my business and personal use.

In addition, I downloaded 3.2 source when it was announced and compiled
it.  Some problems but nothing that hurt my data.  Currently I have
3.2-100 (a patch set) pulled down from github and that solves the data
entry problems I was experiencing.  If you are comfortable compiling the
code (isn't that hard once the dependencies are installed) then the
group here will help if you run into error conditions.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166
GWB

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

GWB
Yes, thank you, I may try building from source.  Has there ever been a
standalone .deb package for GnuCash?  I don't know what the flatpack
is, but it occurs to me that for linux, debian, etc., a 3.x .deb might
be worthwhile.  But I don't think I have seen a .deb package on the
download links at GnuCash.org.

If not, is that intentional?  Some distros are good with
"automagically" finding and installing dependencies when using .deb
packages, and some are not.  Source may be less hassle anyway on some
distros.

On 08/21/2018 08:32 PM, GWB wrote:

> Yes, thank you, I may try building from source.  Has there ever been a
> standalone .deb package for GnuCash?  I don't know what the flatpack
> is, but it occurs to me that for linux, debian, etc., a 3.x .deb might
> be worthwhile.  But I don't think I have seen a .deb package on the
> download links at GnuCash.org.
>
> If not, is that intentional?  Some distros are good with
> "automagically" finding and installing dependencies when using .deb
> packages, and some are not.  Source may be less hassle anyway on some
> distros.

I'm not sure which distro the developers use.  So there may not be one
that could create a deb package.  I'm not sure what would be involved to
do that.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Colin Law
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 22:59, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  ..
> Alas, 18.10 ("Cosmic Cuttlefish") lists:
> gnucash (1:2.6.19-1)

Looking at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/cosmic/+package/gnucash-common
I see that version 3.2 is in the 'proposed' repository.  I hope that
means that it is intended that 3.2 should be the version at release.
For Ubuntu a later version of a package will not normally be included
after release of an Ubuntu version.  Bug fixes may be released but not
a version which changes the operation of the s/w.  The logic is
precisely your point about pinning, a user does not want the s/w
changing under his feet just by a routine update.  This means, for
example, that 18.04 is stuck with 2.6.19 for the life of 18.04.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

I know at least one uses Fedora, so they won’t be building a .deb for you. (an .rpm perhaps?)

But building a .deb package is what you’re going to find in a repository. (Debian/Ubuntu/derivative repositories are collections of .deb packages)

3.2 has not made it out of Sid because of several issues, all noted on the page: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnucash originally linked by Lincoln earlier in the thread.

That page seems to indicate 2 main issues (the others will likely auto-resolve):

1. Three Debian core supported architectures don’t have a successful GnuCash build for them: armel, mips, s390x (the last two had automated builds fail as of today even, producing segfaults when building, noted here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=906609)

2. GnuCash has a dependency on guile-2.2-dev, but it seems this can’t be satisfied on armel (and why it can’t build).

Once those builds are successful, it will likely come out of Sid and move to Testing.

So, unless you’re running one of those architectures, the short term solution is build yourself. (which really isn’t difficult, especially since the instructions have just been clarified and revised on the wiki)

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 12:14 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 08/21/2018 08:32 PM, GWB wrote:
>> Yes, thank you, I may try building from source.  Has there ever been a
>> standalone .deb package for GnuCash?  I don't know what the flatpack
>> is, but it occurs to me that for linux, debian, etc., a 3.x .deb might
>> be worthwhile.  But I don't think I have seen a .deb package on the
>> download links at GnuCash.org.
>>
>> If not, is that intentional?  Some distros are good with
>> "automagically" finding and installing dependencies when using .deb
>> packages, and some are not.  Source may be less hassle anyway on some
>> distros.
>>
> I'm not sure which distro the developers use.  So there may not be one
> that could create a deb package.  I'm not sure what would be involved to
> do that.
>
> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

I’m not sure what you mean by ’not getting too far ahead of your distribution.’

I’ve successfully compiled and used 3.2 (and 2.6.17 and 2.6.19) on Ubuntu 16.04 which has 2.6.12 in its repo.

Unless you’re using a dedicated PPA (which doesn’t exist for GnuCash), certainly changing repos to debian/unstable or trying to change to a different ubuntu repo (like using the bionic repo on xenial) can be dangerous.

But building from source, which is not all that complicated, is generally fine. (problems arise if you have dependency conflicts with other software)

GWB

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

GWB
No disagreement here on building from source.  A PPA did exist for
GnuCash versions beyond the Ubuntu standard repo.  That was
GetDeb.org.  It went dark.  If I had installed 3.x.x. from GetDeb and
I had to reinstall for some reason, building from source would be
about the only option (or perhaps another PPA).

I'm not sure if that's trivial for most gnucash users on linux or not.
But if you do install 2.6.21 from a PPA and pin it (or build from
source) and you have to reinstall, your chances are much better that
the universal PPA will have something close enough to 2.6.21 that will
work.

So for ubuntu I mean I avoid installing a version signifigantly higher
than what is in the universal PPA.  If your distribution has 3.x.x in
the pipeline, you're probably OK with 3.2.

You're OK with all the versions if you are familiar with building from
source, and you know how to apply patches manually.

I haven't tried this yet, but I will at some point download the
gnucash-common .deb file and see if dpkg can find all the dependencies
when installing local:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/all/gnucash-common/download

Or perhaps:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/all/gnucash-common/download

At the moment they look the same; if Cosmic Carmic Cuttlefish gets a
deb for 3.x.x, it will be at the last URL, I think.

Why is gnucash in the Gnome ghetto for program categories?  Am I able
to run it in xfce because I already have the gnome dependencies
installed already?

Gordon

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Adrien Monteleone
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m not sure what you mean by ’not getting too far ahead of your distribution.’
>
> I’ve successfully compiled and used 3.2 (and 2.6.17 and 2.6.19) on Ubuntu 16.04 which has 2.6.12 in its repo.
>
> Unless you’re using a dedicated PPA (which doesn’t exist for GnuCash), certainly changing repos to debian/unstable or trying to change to a different ubuntu repo (like using the bionic repo on xenial) can be dangerous.
>
> But building from source, which is not all that complicated, is generally fine. (problems arise if you have dependency conflicts with other software)
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Aug 21, 2018, at 4:55 PM, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure how the version history works in Ubuntu or Debian, but I
>> installed GnuCash 2.6.7 from getdeb.org quite a while ago, and
>> "pinned" it (so that apt-get upgrade would not go to the version up)
>> to that version hoping that gnucash in Ubuntu 14 would catch up with
>> 2.6.7.  Ubuntu 14 ("Trusty Tahr") still only has 2.6.1, but 18.04
>> ("Bionic Beaver" really? who comes up with these names?) has indeed
>> included 2.16.19, as John recalled.  18.04 is my next upgrade.
>>
>> Every time I run "apt-get update" I am reminded that getdeb.org is
>> gone, and has been for some time.  Did getdeb.org have gnucash 3.0 at
>> some point before it went dark?
>>
>> I don't see either the Ubuntu or Debian package maintainers (perhaps
>> the same person or team in this case) moving too quickly to upgrade
>> gnucash in their package repos.  But maybe I'm wrong, which would be
>> nice.  But if you do find a repository with 3.x.x, I would pin it (or
>> "version lock") to a lower version in order not to get too far ahead
>> of the main repos for your linux distribution.
>>
>> Alas, 18.10 ("Cosmic Cuttlefish") lists:
>>
>> gnucash (1:2.6.19-1)
>>    [universe]personal and small-business financial-accounting software
>>
>> at https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnome/
>>
>> Perhaps 19 ("Vomiting Vole") will have gnucash 3.  Until then, check
>> for other repos, look in unstable and testing to see if some
>> adventurous soul decided to be creative, and unless you absolutely
>> need some feature in the latest release, pin your version and don't
>> get too far ahead of the main repo for your distribution.
>>
>> Gordon
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 7:41 PM, Lincoln A Baxter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just curious...  It has been almost a year since Gnucash was removed to
>>> Debian testing.
>>>
>>> It has (re)entered SID on 7/4, and there it sits...
>>>
>>> Who is responsible for working on the "excuses" for why is stays in
>>> SID: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/gnucash, and has not migrated to
>>> Testing?
>>>
>>> Lincoln

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Adrien Monteleone-2

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 4:04 PM, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Why is gnucash in the Gnome ghetto for program categories?  Am I able
> to run it in xfce because I already have the gnome dependencies
> installed already?

That is probably an historical artifact. You can run it in XFCE as that is built on Gtk. If you try to run it on KDE, you can still run it, but it will pull in the Gtk dependencies. (that is, it won’t use QT which is native to KDE)

Somewhere long in the future, when/if GnuCash abides the MVC pattern, it will be easier to port the interface using a native toolkit such as QT, Cocoa, etc. At present, the functional code is very tied to the UI which is built using Gtk.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

John Ralls-2

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 3:41 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 22, 2018, at 4:04 PM, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Why is gnucash in the Gnome ghetto for program categories?  Am I able
>> to run it in xfce because I already have the gnome dependencies
>> installed already?
>>

> That is probably an historical artifact. You can run it in XFCE as that is built on Gtk. If you try to run it on KDE, you can still run it, but it will pull in the Gtk dependencies. (that is, it won’t use QT which is native to KDE)
>
> Somewhere long in the future, when/if GnuCash abides the MVC pattern, it will be easier to port the interface using a native toolkit such as QT, Cocoa, etc. At present, the functional code is very tied to the UI which is built using Gtk.

We do hope so, but easier != easy. Writing a GUI is a lot of work, and aside from the general design one must pretty much start from scratch every time. I don’t anticipate that core GnuCash will ever provide multiple GUI toolkit implementations.

GWB

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

GWB
Mystery solved, thank you.  That makes sense: after installing
xfce4-desktop, and a few other "gnomish" reliant apps, most of
gnome-desktop is there.  Installing gnucash then pretty much downloads
the rest of gnome-desktop for the dependencies.  KDM apps do pretty
much the same, and after installing a few, it's only a few packages
away from installing the rest of kdm-desktop (I always liked KDE, and
Plasma over Unity and Gnome3).  But I think gnome-desktop is by far
the largest (and most memory intensive) of them all.  I could be
wrong, however.

I tried working with Cocoa using an older XCode.  I thought it was
pretty difficult, but I'm not a gui based developer.

Looking at the dependencies, I see why gnucash resides in the Gnome
Ghetto (Ubuntu naming style!) category.

Gordon

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 11:17 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Aug 22, 2018, at 3:41 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On Aug 22, 2018, at 4:04 PM, GWB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Why is gnucash in the Gnome ghetto for program categories?  Am I able
>>> to run it in xfce because I already have the gnome dependencies
>>> installed already?
>>>

>> That is probably an historical artifact. You can run it in XFCE as that is built on Gtk. If you try to run it on KDE, you can still run it, but it will pull in the Gtk dependencies. (that is, it won’t use QT which is native to KDE)
>>
>> Somewhere long in the future, when/if GnuCash abides the MVC pattern, it will be easier to port the interface using a native toolkit such as QT, Cocoa, etc. At present, the functional code is very tied to the UI which is built using Gtk.
>
> We do hope so, but easier != easy. Writing a GUI is a lot of work, and aside from the general design one must pretty much start from scratch every time. I don’t anticipate that core GnuCash will ever provide multiple GUI toolkit implementations.

Re: [GNC] Gnucash 3 in the Debian / Ubuntu pipeline?

Originally I had typed ’simple’ in quotes and thought better of it. Certainly no, it won’t be simple or easy. But I do hope by then, either myself or someone else with nothing better to do will write a Cocoa native version. (or whatever Mac is using at the time) I have to say though, the present Gtk+3 version is much better than the old Gtk+2 iteration. (even with the quirks and bugs)