[GNC] GnuCash Friendly Accountant in Chicago

kvn

[GNC] GnuCash Friendly Accountant in Chicago

kvn
Hi

Hope this is the right way to post.

Iam in Chicago and am looking for an accountant that is familiar
withGnuCash andable to take care of my tax accounting and filingĀ  The
accountants I have been working with are all Quicken based and are not
that eager to investigate other platforms.

Please let me know if you can direct me to a source for this information.

Thanks

Re: [GNC] GnuCash Friendly Accountant in Chicago

floppy5.25
On Monday, September 10, 2018 1:20:00 PM -05 kvn wrote:

> Hi
>
> Hope this is the right way to post.
>
> Iam in Chicago and am looking for an accountant that is familiar
> withGnuCash andable to take care of my tax accounting and filing  The
> accountants I have been working with are all Quicken based and are not
> that eager to investigate other platforms.
>
> Please let me know if you can direct me to a source for this information.
>

> Thanks

Kelly,

I do not believe someone has answered yet so here is my take on GNC and
Accountants in the US. In the past, I had trouble finding accountants familiar
with GNC or other accounting packages different than Quickbooks or Quicken.
However you should be able to find an accountant that is willing to work with
you if you give him the "right" report with taxable income and expenses.

The first year involves some work going back and forth to make sure you label
accounts the right way for taxes but after that, except in special cases
(which you should consult with your accountant anyway) you should be good to
go.

I used for many years GNC, them changed to SQL-Ledger for my business and kept
GNC for personal then Quickbooks and Quickbook Online only to end up back to
GNC which is better than the rest but involves a little more work from the
user (see above).

Hope the above helps a little.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash Friendly Accountant in Chicago

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, floppy5.25 wrote:

>> Iam in Chicago and am looking for an accountant that is familiar
>> withGnuCash andable to take care of my tax accounting and filing  The
>> accountants I have been working with are all Quicken based and are not
>> that eager to investigate other platforms.
>>
>> Please let me know if you can direct me to a source for this information.

Kelly/floppy,

   I used to use SQL Ledger and it's fork Ledger123, then returned to GnuCash
when it was easily available as a SlackBuilds.org package. I've been with my
current accountant for about 15 years now and we have no issues with
exchanging data.

   Here in Oregon, if not everywhere, tax preparation software is proprietary
and runs only on Microsoft platforms. This is because the tax laws change
with the seasons and each state, county, and/or city has their specific
requirements. The state here demands that accountants use their buggy and
error-prone software over submitting printed (or PDF) reports. My accountant
tried setting up a linux server and Windows virtual machine, but the
proprietary tax-preparation software wanted specific OS versions and this
just did not work for her.

   Anyway, at the end of the month I send her PDF files of a balance sheet
and income statement produced by GC. Quarterly I send aggregated reports
and, at years end, a YTD set of reports. I also download bank statements as
PDF files, tar them and send them with annual reports. I also send personal
data for annual taxes as reports generated by GC.

   This works perfectly well for her. She has scanned copies of property tax
statements and other documents the feds and state want her to see and they
take only a bit of room on her hard drive instead of the file room.

   Yes, many of her other clients use quackbooks of various flavors but she's
never had any complaints or quibbles about the reports I send to her.

   Find an accountant with whom you can work and trust and use GC regardless
of what software they use.

Rich