[GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

randix
So I need any assistance, suggestions.

I have a Google Pixel Chromebook, and 1-2 years ago I successfully installed
GnuCash Version 3.2 on it, via Flatpak, that has worked fine 90%. I have a
zillion backups of my data.

Earlier today I saw an email that Geert sent out, indicating (I think) that
3.3 is available on Flatpak. So I went to terminal mode and typed "flatpak
update" which I understood would update all installed applications and
runtimes to the latest version.  After I ran that, I got a number of errors,
see the below screenshot.

Screenshot_2019-08-16_at_6.png
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t374961/Screenshot_2019-08-16_at_6.png>  

I tried running GnuCash after the update and despite the errors, the program
loads and populates on my screen, but I'm unable to click on any part of the
program's screen, eg it does nothing, no matter what I click.

Suggestions?  Much thanks.



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

randix
Ok, not sure what I did, but it appears I have the program back to the state
where it was, working, so that's a relief.  It's still version 3.2, however.  

Does flatpak in fact have a later version available than 3.2, and if so, how
do I upgrade to it, as my prior attempt, clearly made no difference.



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Stephen M. Butler
In reply to this post by randix
Do you need to install as "root"?

On 8/16/19 6:15 PM, randix wrote:

> So I need any assistance, suggestions.
>
> I have a Google Pixel Chromebook, and 1-2 years ago I successfully installed
> GnuCash Version 3.2 on it, via Flatpak, that has worked fine 90%. I have a
> zillion backups of my data.
>
> Earlier today I saw an email that Geert sent out, indicating (I think) that
> 3.3 is available on Flatpak. So I went to terminal mode and typed "flatpak
> update" which I understood would update all installed applications and
> runtimes to the latest version.  After I ran that, I got a number of errors,
> see the below screenshot.
>
> Screenshot_2019-08-16_at_6.png
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t374961/Screenshot_2019-08-16_at_6.png>  
>
> I tried running GnuCash after the update and despite the errors, the program
> loads and populates on my screen, but I'm unable to click on any part of the
> program's screen, eg it does nothing, no matter what I click.
>
> Suggestions?  Much thanks.
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Tommy Trussell
In reply to this post by randix
I forgot to copy the list :-(

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:07 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:30 PM randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Ok, not sure what I did, but it appears I have the program back to the
>> state
>> where it was, working, so that's a relief.  It's still version 3.2,
>> however.
>>
>> Does flatpak in fact have a later version available than 3.2, and if so,
>> how
>> do I upgrade to it, as my prior attempt, clearly made no difference.
>>
>
> My understanding is the GnuCash development system code.gnucash.org
> automatically generates daily "unstable" test releases of the flatpak, but
> the Internet connection to that machine is sub-par so the developers are
> not advertising it. AND you probably don't want to use the daily releases
> because they will break, could corrupt your data, etc. etc. They're mainly
> provided for folks testing "just fixed today" problems, and as you may
> know, one fix often breaks something else.
>
> There are probably newer stable "point release" flatpak versions 3.3, 3.4,
> 3.5, etc. that got generated, but somehow they never made it to a public
> place so the flatpak repository hasn't picked them up. SO for the moment
> you'll be stuck with 3.2 (unless you build it yourself).
>
> The snap version of GnuCash is in a similar outdated situation.
>
>
>> -----
>> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>>
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens-4
There are two different locations to get gnucash flatpaks:

1. our nightly builds: these are currently on a poor bandwidth server and for
testing purposes only as you describe clearly

2. Flathub.org: this is a central flatpak repository for stable software
releases.

The last couple of days I have been working on flathub to upgrade their
gnucash package to 3.6. That is now available. While it works fine on my
Fedora 29 machine and another user reported success on an Ubuntu 18.04 system,
others reported issues on Fedora Workstation 30. So your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Geert

Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 05:09:07 CEST schreef Tommy Trussell:

> I forgot to copy the list :-(
>
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 10:07 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 8:30 PM randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Ok, not sure what I did, but it appears I have the program back to the
> >> state
> >> where it was, working, so that's a relief.  It's still version 3.2,
> >> however.
> >>
> >> Does flatpak in fact have a later version available than 3.2, and if so,
> >> how
> >> do I upgrade to it, as my prior attempt, clearly made no difference.
> >
> > My understanding is the GnuCash development system code.gnucash.org
> > automatically generates daily "unstable" test releases of the flatpak, but
> > the Internet connection to that machine is sub-par so the developers are
> > not advertising it. AND you probably don't want to use the daily releases
> > because they will break, could corrupt your data, etc. etc. They're mainly
> > provided for folks testing "just fixed today" problems, and as you may
> > know, one fix often breaks something else.
> >
> > There are probably newer stable "point release" flatpak versions 3.3, 3.4,
> > 3.5, etc. that got generated, but somehow they never made it to a public
> > place so the flatpak repository hasn't picked them up. SO for the moment
> > you'll be stuck with 3.2 (unless you build it yourself).
> >
> > The snap version of GnuCash is in a similar outdated situation.
> >
> >> -----
> >> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> >> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.




_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by randix
Hi Randix,

You probably mean "available on Flathub". I have published an update there to
bring gnucash to version 3.6.

The errors in your suggest you don't have the proper permissions to install
the newer flatpaks from flathub. So you likely have to either run the given
command with elevated privileges (like "sudo flatpak update") or tell flatpak
to install in the user context instead of the system context
(like "flatpak --user update")
The latter may fail if you originally installed gnucash in the system context
though.

Regards,

Geert

Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 03:15:07 CEST schreef randix:

> So I need any assistance, suggestions.
>
> I have a Google Pixel Chromebook, and 1-2 years ago I successfully installed
> GnuCash Version 3.2 on it, via Flatpak, that has worked fine 90%. I have a
> zillion backups of my data.
>
> Earlier today I saw an email that Geert sent out, indicating (I think) that
> 3.3 is available on Flatpak. So I went to terminal mode and typed "flatpak
> update" which I understood would update all installed applications and
> runtimes to the latest version.  After I ran that, I got a number of errors,
> see the below screenshot.
>
> Screenshot_2019-08-16_at_6.png
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t374961/Screenshot_2019-08-16_at_
> 6.png>
>
> I tried running GnuCash after the update and despite the errors, the program
> loads and populates on my screen, but I'm unable to click on any part of
> the program's screen, eg it does nothing, no matter what I click.
>
> Suggestions?  Much thanks.
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.




_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

randix
Geert Janssens-4 wrote

> Hi Randix,
>
> You probably mean "available on Flathub". I have published an update there
> to
> bring gnucash to version 3.6.
>
> The errors in your suggest you don't have the proper permissions to
> install
> the newer flatpaks from flathub. So you likely have to either run the
> given
> command with elevated privileges (like "sudo flatpak update") or tell
> flatpak
> to install in the user context instead of the system context
> (like "flatpak --user update")
> The latter may fail if you originally installed gnucash in the system
> context
> though.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

*Geert... with your humble suggestion, I was able to flawlessly install
Version 3.6 from the Flatpak site on my Google Pixel Chromebook.  I need to
figure out some resizing issues with the display, but apart from that, is
looking good.  Thank you again, over the years your patience with posting
responses and feedback, is much appreciated.*




--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

randix
So after playing with my 3.6 install on Chromebook, the accounts seem to work
perfectly.  My issues are:

1. When I pull up preferences, trying to change any of the preferences have
no effect whatsoever.  So for example, I had the tabs appearing on the left
hand side of the page, when I try to change that to the top, and you press
the selection, nothing happens.  None of the options under Preference work
at all.

2. GnuCash not only fills the screen, it goes off the screen.  There is no
minimize window to click.  There is also no scroll bar, allowing you to
scroll off to the right.

So guess I'll do some research, I assume there is a config file somewhere
where I can change settings without doing it through the preference menu?

Anyway, just a quick update.  Program itself seems to work fine, it's just
the preferences and the display. Will spend some time on it later today.



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens-4
Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 19:21:20 CEST schreef randix:
> So after playing with my 3.6 install on Chromebook, the accounts seem to
> work perfectly.  My issues are:
>
> 1. When I pull up preferences, trying to change any of the preferences have
> no effect whatsoever.  So for example, I had the tabs appearing on the left
> hand side of the page, when I try to change that to the top, and you press
> the selection, nothing happens.  None of the options under Preference work
> at all.
>
Hmm, this works fine when I run a flatpak'd gnucash on Fedora 29.

Does a Chromebook pixel have dbus and dconf installed ? The flatpak is
supposed to communicate with those to store your settings.

> 2. GnuCash not only fills the screen, it goes off the screen.  There is no
> minimize window to click.  There is also no scroll bar, allowing you to
> scroll off to the right.
>
What's the screen resolution on the Pixel ? Perhaps that's smaller than the
minimum size gnucash needs ?

> So guess I'll do some research, I assume there is a config file somewhere
> where I can change settings without doing it through the preference menu?
>
As said before, the gnucash settings system (on linux and hence flatpak)
assumes it can communicate with dbus/dconf to handles persistent settings.
It's not simply a file to edit.

It would at least be useful to see the trace output. Unfortunately it's not
immediately available in flatpak (yet). You can get this output though by
running gnucash from the command line as follows:

flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash --logto=stderr

(presuming the Pixel knows about the special 'stderr' device file)

Regards,

Geert


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens-4
Regarding the settings, this section in the flatpak documentation is probably
relevant:
http://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/sandbox-permissions.html#dconf-access

I haven't figured it all out yet, but it seems flatpak itself is in a state of
transition from using external dconf access to using a sandboxed dconf
instance. That latter requires a fairly recent version of xdg-desktop-portal
installed on your system.
If you don't have that, you can try to add the command line switches as
outlined in the green box to your flatpak run command like so

flatpak run --filesystem=xdg-run/conf \
            --filesystem=~/.config/dconf:ro \
            --talk-name=ca.desrt.dconf \
            --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf run org.gnucash.GnuCash

You may again require sudo rights for this to work.

Geert

Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 20:30:57 CEST schreef Geert Janssens:

> Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 19:21:20 CEST schreef randix:
> > So after playing with my 3.6 install on Chromebook, the accounts seem to
> > work perfectly.  My issues are:
> >
> > 1. When I pull up preferences, trying to change any of the preferences
> > have
> > no effect whatsoever.  So for example, I had the tabs appearing on the
> > left
> > hand side of the page, when I try to change that to the top, and you press
> > the selection, nothing happens.  None of the options under Preference work
> > at all.
>
> Hmm, this works fine when I run a flatpak'd gnucash on Fedora 29.
>
> Does a Chromebook pixel have dbus and dconf installed ? The flatpak is
> supposed to communicate with those to store your settings.
>
> > 2. GnuCash not only fills the screen, it goes off the screen.  There is no
> > minimize window to click.  There is also no scroll bar, allowing you to
> > scroll off to the right.
>
> What's the screen resolution on the Pixel ? Perhaps that's smaller than the
> minimum size gnucash needs ?
>
> > So guess I'll do some research, I assume there is a config file somewhere
> > where I can change settings without doing it through the preference menu?
>
> As said before, the gnucash settings system (on linux and hence flatpak)
> assumes it can communicate with dbus/dconf to handles persistent settings.
> It's not simply a file to edit.
>
> It would at least be useful to see the trace output. Unfortunately it's not
> immediately available in flatpak (yet). You can get this output though by
> running gnucash from the command line as follows:
>
> flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash --logto=stderr
>
> (presuming the Pixel knows about the special 'stderr' device file)
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.




_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Tommy Trussell
Based on this discussion I decided to try the flatpak on a Ubuntu Disco
19.04 system. (The work system with my critical GnuCash data is Ubuntu
Bionic 18.04 LTS.) I haven't done any testing with real data, but I found
it easy to install. Apparently the flatpak found a GnuCash test data file
somewhere on my system.

1) I didn't need sudo to install gnucash; flatpak ran just fine as a normal
user. I'm not sure if I will run into a limitation. I tried changing a few
preferences and they seemed to persist across several launches. The version
that just installed reports as "Version: 3.6   Build ID: 3.6+(2019-06-29)"

2) When I installed, I got an error message "F: An error was encountered
searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’: Unable to load summary from
remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but none are in trusted keyring."

I'm not sure where it's expecting a GnuCash_Dev: GPG key. It didn't STOP me
from installing, just complained.

3) I got some sort of ldconfig error after launching the first few times.
(see below)

4) The ldconfig error disappeared after I deleted the old test data file
that was on my system and I took GnuCash through a new account creation.
The new file opens without any messages on the console.


Here are the commands I used and the terminal output:

user@host:~$ flatpak list
Description             Application   Version Branch Arch   Origin
 Installation
GNOME Application Plat… …ome.Platform         3.28   x86_64 flathub system
user@host:~$ flatpak install gnucash
Looking for matches…
F: An error was encountered searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’:
Unable to load summary from remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but
none are in trusted keyring
Found similar ref(s) for ‘gnucash’ in remote ‘flathub’ (system).
Use this remote? [Y/n]:
Found ref ‘app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable’ in remote ‘flathub’
(system).
Use this ref? [Y/n]:
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.32) found in remote flathub
Do you want to install it? [Y/n]:

org.gnucash.GnuCash permissions:
    ipc                   network               wayland       x11
    file access [1]       dbus access [2]

    [1] home, xdg-run/dconf, ~/.config/dconf:ro
    [2] ca.desrt.dconf


        ID                                    Arch   Branch Remote  Download
 1. [✓] org.gnome.Platform                    x86_64 3.32   flathub
317.1 MB / 373.2 MB
 2. [✓] org.gnome.Platform.Locale             x86_64 3.32   flathub
 17.4 kB / 319.9 MB
 3. [✓] org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Yaru                x86_64 3.22   flathub
146.5 kB / 145.2 kB
 4. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel  x86_64 18.08  flathub
1.8 MB / 1.8 MB
 5. [✓] org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs x86_64 18.08  flathub
3.2 MB / 3.3 MB
 6. [✓] org.gnucash.GnuCash                   x86_64 stable flathub
 26.9 MB / 27.0 MB
 7. [✓] org.gnucash.GnuCash.Locale            x86_64 stable flathub
4.4 kB / 7.4 MB

Installation complete.
user@host:~$ flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash
ldconfig: /app/lib/libguile-2.2.so.1.3.0-gdb.scm is not an ELF file - it
has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

[the app seemed to launch and quit just fine]

user@host:~$



-----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Tommy Trussell
also I note that the information on the flathub web site still doesn't show
what version GnuCash is available.

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

randix
In reply to this post by Geert Janssens-4
Geert:

1. With regard to Gnucash not only filling the screen, but going off the
screen, etc., etc., I did solve that problem by making adjustments in the
display settings of the chromebook.  Looks great, what a vacation for my
eyes after squinting at GnuCash all these years.

2. With regard to the other issue, that last line you shared...

flatpak run --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf run
org.gnucash.GnuCash

The other lines ran fine, but on the above one I get, "Names must contain at
least 2 periods"

Can you advise?  

3. Hopefully #2 above makes the preference screen responsive, but are you
saying that installing a css file in the appropriate Linux directory can't
substitute for the non-working Preference page?



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Tommy Trussell
On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 3:40 PM randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2. With regard to the other issue, that last line you shared...
>
> flatpak run --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf run
> org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
> The other lines ran fine, but on the above one I get, "Names must contain
> at
> least 2 periods"
>
> Can you advise?
>

I got that error so I believe it's flatpak trying to be helpful by making
sure you have the application name formed correctly, and it didn't exist
after the first "run"

Try it without the redundant "run" command:

$ flatpak --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf run org.gnucash.GnuCash
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Tommy Trussell
On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 3:50 PM Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>
>
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 3:40 PM randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2. With regard to the other issue, that last line you shared...
>>
>> flatpak run --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf run
>> org.gnucash.GnuCash
>>
>> The other lines ran fine, but on the above one I get, "Names must contain
>> at
>> least 2 periods"
>>
>> Can you advise?
>>
>
> I got that error so I believe it's flatpak trying to be helpful by making
> sure you have the application name formed correctly, and it didn't exist
> after the first "run"
>
> Try it without the redundant "run" command:
>
> $ flatpak --env=DCONF_USER_CONFIG_DIR=.config/dconf run
> org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
>
>
Hi, randix...

I got the screenshot (off list) showing it not working, and of course on my
system I don't need "sudo" so that might explain the difference. ?

I'm copying your screenshot image to the list in case others have
suggestions.

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

image.png (371K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

randix
despite the error it does start up GnuCash, however, the preference page
still is totally non-responsive.  When you try and change ANY option, it
doesn't allow you do so, totally non-responsive.  i wasn't really worried
about it cause i thought an appropriate css file would be a good enuf
substitute for me.  

i've tried it with and without sudo on that last line that generated the
error message.



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

randix
In reply to this post by Geert Janssens-4
Geert... here's your trace output that you requested...

Screenshot_2019-08-17_at_2.png
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t374961/Screenshot_2019-08-17_at_2.png>  



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens-4
Hi Randix,

The first line in there hints at the issue: the settings portal is missing. If
I understand correctly that portal is provided by the xdg-desktop-portal
package on linux. Is it installed on your pixel in their linux subsystem ?

Note that on Chromebooks the linux support itself is an addon to the base
system so it may have additional restrictions causing this not to work.

Regards,

Geert

Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 23:32:45 CEST schreef randix:

> Geert... here's your trace output that you requested...
>
> Screenshot_2019-08-17_at_2.png
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t374961/Screenshot_2019-08-17_at_
> 2.png>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.




_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by Tommy Trussell
Hi Tommy,

Thanks for experimenting with this. I'll comment in between.

Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 22:22:03 CEST schreef Tommy Trussell:

> Based on this discussion I decided to try the flatpak on a Ubuntu Disco
> 19.04 system. (The work system with my critical GnuCash data is Ubuntu
> Bionic 18.04 LTS.) I haven't done any testing with real data, but I found
> it easy to install. Apparently the flatpak found a GnuCash test data file
> somewhere on my system.
>
> 1) I didn't need sudo to install gnucash; flatpak ran just fine as a normal
> user. I'm not sure if I will run into a limitation. I tried changing a few
> preferences and they seemed to persist across several launches. The version
> that just installed reports as "Version: 3.6   Build ID: 3.6+(2019-06-29)"
>

Sudo is only needed on systems where polkit is not properly configured to
allow flatpak manipulations. I think modern systems like Fedora 29 or Ubuntu
18.04 and up don't need sudo any more (unless perhaps for the flatpak override
command which alters sandbox permissions).

> 2) When I installed, I got an error message "F: An error was encountered
> searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’: Unable to load summary from
> remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but none are in trusted keyring."
>
> I'm not sure where it's expecting a GnuCash_Dev: GPG key. It didn't STOP me
> from installing, just complained.
>

I am still struggling with this bit myself. I assume the GnuCash_Dev remote is
gnucash' nightly build service. I'm seeing similar errors here, so this needs
more investigation.

Do you remember how you installed the GnuCash_Dev remote ?
You could try and import the GPG key that's on
https://code.gnucash.org/builds/flatpak/gnucash-flatpak.gpg
And see if the install error would go away.

> 3) I got some sort of ldconfig error after launching the first few times.
> (see below)
>
Yes, I'm seeing this as well. No idea where that comes from.

> 4) The ldconfig error disappeared after I deleted the old test data file
> that was on my system and I took GnuCash through a new account creation.
> The new file opens without any messages on the console.
>
That's a surprising twist...

>
> Here are the commands I used and the terminal output:
>
> user@host:~$ flatpak list
> Description             Application   Version Branch Arch   Origin
>  Installation
> GNOME Application Plat… …ome.Platform         3.28   x86_64 flathub system
> user@host:~$ flatpak install gnucash
> Looking for matches…
> F: An error was encountered searching remote ‘GnuCash_Dev’ for ‘gnucash’:
> Unable to load summary from remote GnuCash_Dev: GPG signatures found, but
> none are in trusted keyring
> Found similar ref(s) for ‘gnucash’ in remote ‘flathub’ (system).
> Use this remote? [Y/n]:

So what happens here is that flatpak won't trust GnuCash_Dev due to the
missing GPG gkey and instead will search for gnucash in the other available
remotes. As flathub also has a gnucash package, it offers to install that one.
Note that if GnuCash_Dev had worked you would have been presented with a list
of package options to choose from.

Regards,

Geert


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] GnuCash -- Flatpak -- Update assistance needed

Geert Janssens-4
In reply to this post by Tommy Trussell
Op zaterdag 17 augustus 2019 22:31:37 CEST schreef Tommy Trussell:
> also I note that the information on the flathub web site still doesn't show
> what version GnuCash is available.
>
> https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash

Indeed, I noticed that as well.
Would you mind creating a issue on
https://github.com/flathub/org.gnucash.GnuCash
for this so it won't get lost ?

Thanks and regards,

Geert


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
12