[GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

[GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

Andrew Clark
Hi,

I used to be able to forward gnucash over ssh to a local xming server.

It seems since upgrading to GnuCash 3.3 Build ID:  3.3+ (2018-09-29) I can
no longer do this. The program starts, the splash screen displays, but the
status message stays on gnucash/engine forever.

I'm running buster/sid Debian on the server end, forwarding the X session
via ssh to Xming 6.9.0.31 running on Windows 10.

I've also tried forwarding Xnest and then running GNUCash in that, but that
hangs at the same place.

Any ideas where to look?

--
Cheers,

Andrew.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

John Ralls-2

> On Dec 5, 2018, at 3:13 PM, Andrew Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I used to be able to forward gnucash over ssh to a local xming server.
>
> It seems since upgrading to GnuCash 3.3 Build ID:  3.3+ (2018-09-29) I can
> no longer do this. The program starts, the splash screen displays, but the
> status message stays on gnucash/engine forever.
>
> I'm running buster/sid Debian on the server end, forwarding the X session
> via ssh to Xming 6.9.0.31 running on Windows 10.
>
> I've also tried forwarding Xnest and then running GNUCash in that, but that
> hangs at the same place.
>
> Any ideas where to look?

Is the system you’re running GnuCash on headless? If not, does GnuCash start up ok when the X-server is running on the same machine?

Re: [GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

Andrew Clark
Yes, when I'm home I use GNUCash on the machine and it works fine. I'm only
tryign to use the frowarded session because I'm away at the moment. I've
previously done this and it worked fine.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 at 10:43, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Dec 5, 2018, at 3:13 PM, Andrew Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I used to be able to forward gnucash over ssh to a local xming server.
> >
> > It seems since upgrading to GnuCash 3.3 Build ID:  3.3+ (2018-09-29) I
> can
> > no longer do this. The program starts, the splash screen displays, but
> the
> > status message stays on gnucash/engine forever.
> >
> > I'm running buster/sid Debian on the server end, forwarding the X session
> > via ssh to Xming 6.9.0.31 running on Windows 10.
> >
> > I've also tried forwarding Xnest and then running GNUCash in that, but
> that
> > hangs at the same place.
> >
> > Any ideas where to look?
>
> Is the system you’re running GnuCash on headless? If not, does GnuCash
> start up ok when the X-server is running on the same machine?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

Derek Atkins
Andrew Clark <[hidden email]> writes:

> Yes, when I'm home I use GNUCash on the machine and it works fine. I'm only
> tryign to use the frowarded session because I'm away at the moment. I've
> previously done this and it worked fine.

What X-forwarding method are you using?
It works for me using ssh -X
also ensure you have xauth installed (on the remote machine).

Re: [GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

Andrew Clark
I've tried connecting using both putty and Bitvise SSH client to forward
the X session. Both hang at the same point:
[image: image.png]

Xauth is installed on the machien running gnucash:

aclark@discus 1 ~ $ dpkg -l xauth

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  xauth          1:1.0.10-1   amd64        X authentication utility

I've tried running Xnest on the remote machine and then gnucash in that,
but it still doesn't work.

e.g.

Xnest :10 &
DISPLAY=:10.0 gnucash

Hangs in the same place.

Things like DISPLAY=10:.0 xeyes work though.

--
Cheers,

Andrew.

image.png (354K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

Andrew Clark
I ended up resizing a partition, installing Debian and now forwarding via
ssh to Xorg running on that works fine.

I guess there must be some issue with my windows setup and the Xming x
server.

--
Cheers,

Andrew.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash never starts over forwarded X session

Derek Atkins
Andrew Clark <[hidden email]> writes:

> I ended up resizing a partition, installing Debian and now forwarding via ssh
> to Xorg running on that works fine.
>
> I guess there must be some issue with my windows setup and the Xming x server.

Oh, yeah, there is quite possibly significant incompatibilites if you're
sitting on a Windows box.  I honestly never even contemplated that
scenario!