[GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

12

[GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jamestk
*First of all thank you to all of the contributors, devs who have volunteered
to make GNUCash freely available.  *

That said, I do need to ask if any improvements are likely on the speed
front. Basic reports take 1 - 2 minutes to run, larger ledger reports up to
15 minutes. I have tried all of the tweaks mentioned on here but with little
difference, if any.

Its always puzzled me how crunching numbers requires so much time and
resources, its more intensive than rendering images. Changing even the
report title takes the same amount of time, i.e no number crunching?

My set-up isn't complicated, yes accounts go back 10 years but that in
itself is not a large number of transactions overall.

Sorry to moan but I need to make a decision about what to do.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jeff Abrahamson
I've been doing reports with python scripts (not an officially supported
technique, also requires the backend be sqlite, which is easy).  My
reports run in a snap.  That said, maybe I have less data than you.

Jeff Abrahamson
http://p27.eu/jeff/
http://transport-nantes.com/

On 01/02/2019 09:07, Jamestk wrote:

> *First of all thank you to all of the contributors, devs who have volunteered
> to make GNUCash freely available.  *
>
> That said, I do need to ask if any improvements are likely on the speed
> front. Basic reports take 1 - 2 minutes to run, larger ledger reports up to
> 15 minutes. I have tried all of the tweaks mentioned on here but with little
> difference, if any.
>
> Its always puzzled me how crunching numbers requires so much time and
> resources, its more intensive than rendering images. Changing even the
> report title takes the same amount of time, i.e no number crunching?
>
> My set-up isn't complicated, yes accounts go back 10 years but that in
> itself is not a large number of transactions overall.
>
> Sorry to moan but I need to make a decision about what to do.
>
> Thanks,

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255

http://p27.eu/jeff/
http://transport-nantes.com/

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jamestk
Thanks, there are other small issues creeping in which makes me think the
program is becoming unstable.

Example, when browsing the account tree menu the cursor hangs then jumps
after a delay to where you are pointing, this only happens when there is a
data file loaded.

When reconciling an account if auto save starts then it can really take an
age, i don't tend to time this as go and do something else in between.

I generally don't run full ledgers either but selected 'all accounts'' by
mistake while editing options.

My guess is the core code is designed for Linux, porting across to Windows
may not be ideal?

Jeff Abrahamson wrote

> I've been doing reports with python scripts (not an officially supported
> technique, also requires the backend be sqlite, which is easy).  My
> reports run in a snap.  That said, maybe I have less data than you.
>
> Jeff Abrahamson
> http://p27.eu/jeff/
> http://transport-nantes.com/
>
> On 01/02/2019 09:07, Jamestk wrote:
>> *First of all thank you to all of the contributors, devs who have
>> volunteered
>> to make GNUCash freely available.  *
>>
>> That said, I do need to ask if any improvements are likely on the speed
>> front. Basic reports take 1 - 2 minutes to run, larger ledger reports up
>> 15 minutes. I have tried all of the tweaks mentioned on here but with
>> little
>> difference, if any.
>>
>> Its always puzzled me how crunching numbers requires so much time and
>> resources, its more intensive than rendering images. Changing even the
>> report title takes the same amount of time, i.e no number crunching?
>>
>> My set-up isn't complicated, yes accounts go back 10 years but that in
>> itself is not a large number of transactions overall.
>>
>> Sorry to moan but I need to make a decision about what to do.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html

> Jeff Abrahamson
> +33 6 24 40 01 57
> +44 7920 594 255
>
> http://p27.eu/jeff/
> http://transport-nantes.com/

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jeff Abrahamson
You might try the sqlite backend, that at least avoids the heavier XML
autosaves.  After making sure the needed sqlite3 libraries are
installed, it's a simple save-as (and don't forget to specify in the now
present dropdown menu what format you want).

If you're willing to tinker in python some day, it also gives you access
to that.

Jeff

On 01/02/2019 09:34, Jamestk wrote:

> Thanks, there are other small issues creeping in which makes me think the
> program is becoming unstable.
>
> Example, when browsing the account tree menu the cursor hangs then jumps
> after a delay to where you are pointing, this only happens when there is a
> data file loaded.
>
> When reconciling an account if auto save starts then it can really take an
> age, i don't tend to time this as go and do something else in between.
>
> I generally don't run full ledgers either but selected 'all accounts'' by
> mistake while editing options.
>
> My guess is the core code is designed for Linux, porting across to Windows
> may not be ideal?
>

> Jeff Abrahamson wrote
>> I've been doing reports with python scripts (not an officially supported
>> technique, also requires the backend be sqlite, which is easy).  My
>> reports run in a snap.  That said, maybe I have less data than you.
>>
>> Jeff Abrahamson
>> http://p27.eu/jeff/
>> http://transport-nantes.com/
>>
>> On 01/02/2019 09:07, Jamestk wrote:
>>> *First of all thank you to all of the contributors, devs who have
>>> volunteered
>>> to make GNUCash freely available.  *
>>>
>>> That said, I do need to ask if any improvements are likely on the speed
>>> front. Basic reports take 1 - 2 minutes to run, larger ledger reports up
>>> 15 minutes. I have tried all of the tweaks mentioned on here but with
>>> little
>>> difference, if any.
>>>
>>> Its always puzzled me how crunching numbers requires so much time and
>>> resources, its more intensive than rendering images. Changing even the
>>> report title takes the same amount of time, i.e no number crunching?
>>>
>>> My set-up isn't complicated, yes accounts go back 10 years but that in
>>> itself is not a large number of transactions overall.
>>>
>>> Sorry to moan but I need to make a decision about what to do.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Abrahamson
>> +33 6 24 40 01 57
>> +44 7920 594 255
>>
>> http://p27.eu/jeff/
>> http://transport-nantes.com/

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255

http://p27.eu/jeff/
http://transport-nantes.com/

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jamestk
Thanks Jeff, is there a tutorial or a few pointers how to achieve this, its
an age since I used SQL.

..ta

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jamestk
Saving as SQlite drops the file size down to 10mb from 15mb, unfortunately no
noticeable difference with reports  via GNC, I assume it needs Python
configuring to access DB directly.

Ideally it needs to be out of the box, otherwise likely to get in further in
to something that long term may not be suitable.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Robert Kesterson
How is your system memory?  GnuCash loads all the data in memory (even if you use the SQL backend) so it needs some room to breathe.  I have easily ten years of data in my file (and I categorize and track everything at a level that few people would, so I have *lots* of splits), and I don’t experience the slowness or scrolling issues that you mention.  But then I have 32 GB of memory.  The problems you describe sound like what I would expect of memory was low and the system was using swap space a lot.

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 2:34 AM, Jamestk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, there are other small issues creeping in which makes me think the
> program is becoming unstable.
>
> Example, when browsing the account tree menu the cursor hangs then jumps
> after a delay to where you are pointing, this only happens when there is a
> data file loaded.
>
> When reconciling an account if auto save starts then it can really take an
> age, i don't tend to time this as go and do something else in between.
>
> I generally don't run full ledgers either but selected 'all accounts'' by
> mistake while editing options.
>
> My guess is the core code is designed for Linux, porting across to Windows
> may not be ideal?
>

> Jeff Abrahamson wrote
>> I've been doing reports with python scripts (not an officially supported
>> technique, also requires the backend be sqlite, which is easy).  My
>> reports run in a snap.  That said, maybe I have less data than you.
>>
>> Jeff Abrahamson
>> http://p27.eu/jeff/
>> http://transport-nantes.com/
>>
>>> On 01/02/2019 09:07, Jamestk wrote:
>>> *First of all thank you to all of the contributors, devs who have
>>> volunteered
>>> to make GNUCash freely available.  *
>>>
>>> That said, I do need to ask if any improvements are likely on the speed
>>> front. Basic reports take 1 - 2 minutes to run, larger ledger reports up
>>> 15 minutes. I have tried all of the tweaks mentioned on here but with
>>> little
>>> difference, if any.
>>>
>>> Its always puzzled me how crunching numbers requires so much time and
>>> resources, its more intensive than rendering images. Changing even the
>>> report title takes the same amount of time, i.e no number crunching?
>>>
>>> My set-up isn't complicated, yes accounts go back 10 years but that in
>>> itself is not a large number of transactions overall.
>>>
>>> Sorry to moan but I need to make a decision about what to do.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Abrahamson
>> +33 6 24 40 01 57
>> +44 7920 594 255
>>
>> http://p27.eu/jeff/
>> http://transport-nantes.com/

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

I’ll second that the SQlite backend improves speed considerably. I’ve been using it for a few years now.

Concerning reports, if you go the Python route, that isn’t ‘out of the box’ necessarily, but you don’t have to completely figure it out from scratch. Do a search for PieCash. (might be spelled PyCash, not sure)

You could also query the db file directly if you prefer. (just don’t *write* to it!!)

Before you go any further though, I’d ask:

What OS?
How much RAM?
Using an SSD? or Hard drive?

GnuCash loads the entire file into RAM no matter the backend. (the advantage is instant write with SQlite3 vs. a slower periodic save with XML)

If you are running something heavy like Win10 on only 4GB RAM and you have a data file that is 10years full of data, and if you also keep lots of GnuCash tabs open (not to mention lots of other apps) then you are probably going to see quite a bit of lag and sluggish behavior. And that is even discounting the processor. If you’ve got a hobbled cache CPU like a Celeron or a Pentium-M, you might see sluggish behavior. (note this last comment is just general, not specific to GnuCash)

A dev could offer more accurate insights here as they know exactly how GnuCash handles and manages memory and data.

I’ve run GnuCash over about 6 years on various Ubuntu versions (some on very old and hobbled processors) with 4GB and MacOS with anywhere from 4-16GB. I’ve never noticed any serious speed issues. I’ve never run GnuCash on any Windows platform.

There are various threads concerning Win10 startup, reports being slow, and some other performance issues. Check the archives as you may find some resolutions or workarounds if that is your OS.

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 4:08 AM, Jamestk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Saving as SQlite drops the file size down to 10mb from 15mb, unfortunately no
> noticeable difference with reports  via GNC, I assume it needs Python
> configuring to access DB directly.
>
> Ideally it needs to be out of the box, otherwise likely to get in further in
> to something that long term may not be suitable.
>
> Thanks,

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

David Carlson-4
Adrien,

Most users are in the Windows 10 universe or in the Apple universe using
the 'standard' XML filetype on a computer that is less than 5 years old and
they probably could not tell you how much RAM they have or whether they
have a SSD, or whether it is normal for a file save to a network or cloud
service to take more than 10 or 20 seconds.  They do not have time to
experiment with ways to shave time or keystroke counts off of their
computer experience, they just think a clunky program isn't as modern as
one that flies across the screen.  They will choose the slick one without
considering whether it is technically 'better'.

On top of that, a lot of households are switching to Chromebooks or tablets
and smartphones and retiring their desktops along with their POTS phones.
They are automating their homes with light bulbs that change color on a
whim and posting their lives on Facebook.

While GnuCash is not trying to make a profit in this changing environment,
the GnuCash developers need to keep this in mind so that their dedication
and efforts remain relevant while they strive to eliminate deprecated code
and bugs along with occasionally introducing minor improvements.  We do not
thank them enough for that.

As long as people have bank accounts that they feel a need to monitor the
balance of or have small businesses that cannot afford a full time
treasurer there will be a place for GnuCash.

David Carlson

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 8:13 AM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ll second that the SQlite backend improves speed considerably. I’ve been
> using it for a few years now.
>
> Concerning reports, if you go the Python route, that isn’t ‘out of the
> box’ necessarily, but you don’t have to completely figure it out from
> scratch. Do a search for PieCash. (might be spelled PyCash, not sure)
>
> You could also query the db file directly if you prefer. (just don’t
> *write* to it!!)
>
> Before you go any further though, I’d ask:
>
> What OS?
> How much RAM?
> Using an SSD? or Hard drive?
>
> GnuCash loads the entire file into RAM no matter the backend. (the
> advantage is instant write with SQlite3 vs. a slower periodic save with XML)
>
> If you are running something heavy like Win10 on only 4GB RAM and you have
> a data file that is 10years full of data, and if you also keep lots of
> GnuCash tabs open (not to mention lots of other apps) then you are probably
> going to see quite a bit of lag and sluggish behavior. And that is even
> discounting the processor. If you’ve got a hobbled cache CPU like a Celeron
> or a Pentium-M, you might see sluggish behavior. (note this last comment is
> just general, not specific to GnuCash)
>
> A dev could offer more accurate insights here as they know exactly how
> GnuCash handles and manages memory and data.
>
> I’ve run GnuCash over about 6 years on various Ubuntu versions (some on
> very old and hobbled processors) with 4GB and MacOS with anywhere from
> 4-16GB. I’ve never noticed any serious speed issues. I’ve never run GnuCash
> on any Windows platform.
>
> There are various threads concerning Win10 startup, reports being slow,
> and some other performance issues. Check the archives as you may find some
> resolutions or workarounds if that is your OS.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Feb 1, 2019, at 4:08 AM, Jamestk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Saving as SQlite drops the file size down to 10mb from 15mb,
> unfortunately no
> > noticeable difference with reports  via GNC, I assume it needs Python
> > configuring to access DB directly.
> >
> > Ideally it needs to be out of the box, otherwise likely to get in
> further in
> > to something that long term may not be suitable.
> >
> > Thanks,

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Adrien Monteleone-2
I agree on all points. I also think though that people who take the time to ask for help are already amenable to maybe taking some ownership in figuring it out or working things out for themselves, if at least after a little nudge, direction, or suggestion. I don’t make assumptions that people are clueless and desire to remain so. I take the approach that helping someone learn more, especially if they’ve reached out first, is in the long term, to the benefit of all. I don’t take the approach that someone asking for help is not interested in or capable of understanding the questions asked or implementing the suggestions being offered if they go beyond, “click this ‘Easy’ button right here."

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 9:59 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adrien,
>
> Most users are in the Windows 10 universe or in the Apple universe using the 'standard' XML filetype on a computer that is less than 5 years old and they probably could not tell you how much RAM they have or whether they have a SSD, or whether it is normal for a file save to a network or cloud service to take more than 10 or 20 seconds.  They do not have time to experiment with ways to shave time or keystroke counts off of their computer experience, they just think a clunky program isn't as modern as one that flies across the screen.  They will choose the slick one without considering whether it is technically 'better'.
>
> On top of that, a lot of households are switching to Chromebooks or tablets and smartphones and retiring their desktops along with their POTS phones.  They are automating their homes with light bulbs that change color on a whim and posting their lives on Facebook.
>
> While GnuCash is not trying to make a profit in this changing environment, the GnuCash developers need to keep this in mind so that their dedication and efforts remain relevant while they strive to eliminate deprecated code and bugs along with occasionally introducing minor improvements.  We do not thank them enough for that.
>
> As long as people have bank accounts that they feel a need to monitor the balance of or have small businesses that cannot afford a full time treasurer there will be a place for GnuCash.
>
> David Carlson

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

David Carlson-4
😃

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 10:19 AM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree on all points. I also think though that people who take the time
> to ask for help are already amenable to maybe taking some ownership in
> figuring it out or working things out for themselves, if at least after a
> little nudge, direction, or suggestion. I don’t make assumptions that
> people are clueless and desire to remain so. I take the approach that
> helping someone learn more, especially if they’ve reached out first, is in
> the long term, to the benefit of all. I don’t take the approach that
> someone asking for help is not interested in or capable of understanding
> the questions asked or implementing the suggestions being offered if they
> go beyond, “click this ‘Easy’ button right here."
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Feb 1, 2019, at 9:59 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Adrien,
> >
> > Most users are in the Windows 10 universe or in the Apple universe using
> the 'standard' XML filetype on a computer that is less than 5 years old and
> they probably could not tell you how much RAM they have or whether they
> have a SSD, or whether it is normal for a file save to a network or cloud
> service to take more than 10 or 20 seconds.  They do not have time to
> experiment with ways to shave time or keystroke counts off of their
> computer experience, they just think a clunky program isn't as modern as
> one that flies across the screen.  They will choose the slick one without
> considering whether it is technically 'better'.
> >
> > On top of that, a lot of households are switching to Chromebooks or
> tablets and smartphones and retiring their desktops along with their POTS
> phones.  They are automating their homes with light bulbs that change color
> on a whim and posting their lives on Facebook.
> >
> > While GnuCash is not trying to make a profit in this changing
> environment, the GnuCash developers need to keep this in mind so that their
> dedication and efforts remain relevant while they strive to eliminate
> deprecated code and bugs along with occasionally introducing minor
> improvements.  We do not thank them enough for that.
> >
> > As long as people have bank accounts that they feel a need to monitor
> the balance of or have small businesses that cannot afford a full time
> treasurer there will be a place for GnuCash.
> >
> > David Carlson

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jamestk
Agreed, it does seem odd, one other thought relates to am intense period of
data entry associated with stocks. At the time this feature was under
development needing quite a lot of 'scrubbing' of lots, I ended up with
masses of entries which later became obsolete.

I am always reluctant to delete accounts in case there is a knock-on effect
somewhere else.

Computer spec is nothing fantastic, 32G RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64bit with
Samsung SSD, there's no paging to disk and given we are only talking about a
15mb file would be surprised if that happened.

A few years ago when starting out with GNC I ran both versions on
Linux/Windows, Linux was a lot smoother and quicker to load - that was in
the early days so no idea how it would perform now.

Cheers,

"Robert Kesterson">
How is your system memory?  GnuCash loads all the data in memory (even if
you use the SQL backend) so it needs some room to breathe.  I have easily
ten years of data in my file (and I categorize and track everything at a
level that few people would, so I have *lots* of splits), and I don’t
experience the slowness or scrolling issues that you mention.  But then I
have 32 GB of memory.  The problems you describe sound like what I would
expect of memory was low and the system was using swap space a lot.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Stephen M. Butler
The below sounds a lot like my wife's windows 10 EeePC with 4 GB main
memory.  Everything creeps along including her email system.

Occasionally the hardware decides to reserve 3.3 GB of RAM (something in
the bios triggers it) and she ends up running in 700KB of RAM.

I would look in the Memory Performance to see how much actual RAM is
available.  You might find that most of it is no longer available.

I'm trying to convince her that she no longer needs to stay on Windows.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Diane Trefethen
I am trying to decide how to proceed with my accounting software. I have
been using Quicken since DOS v2. Back then, if you encountered a
problem, you could go over to Intuit in Menlo Park and there’d always be
an engineer happy to talk with you. They also had free phone advise for
a few hours, more than enough to get a newbie up and going. At about the
same time Intuit moved their headquarters to Arizona (I think it was
AZ), they replaced their original business model which was to provide a
straightforward, user-friendly, virtually bug-free personal bookkeeping
program. They switched to the Microsoft Model which is to “upgrade” with
superfluous “features” and simultaneously introduce lots of bugs so
customers who upgraded to the “new improved version” would be locked
into an endless cycle of upgrading to get bugs fixed AND simultaneously
acquire new bugs. Ain’t greed great :(

Then my hard drive died and I decided to replace it, sort of, with a
Raspberry Pi and take the plunge into the world of Linux. I had wanted
to learn more about Unix since the late 70s and here was a golden
opportunity to do just that. As my chits built up, I turned to the well
thought of GnuCash, only to discover that it is a mess. It’s one thing
to have a program that is DESIGNED to use specific outside utilities,
which fact is then fully and accurately documented. It is quite another
to have a program so buggy that the end user needs to go out and FIND
the right 3rd party programs to make it run well, for a while, sort of.
In short, GnuCash is about where Quicken was when Intuit dumped it.
Buggy, unfriendly, and failing at trying to be all things to all users.

I suggest that you Gnu folks do what Intuit did originally. Make a
simple to use, bug-free personal bookkeeping program. [Maybe the rights
to the original DOS and early Windows versions of Quicken are now free
or could be gotten inexpensively and you could build on those
platforms.] AFTER you get a program that works almost flawlessly, THEN
create modules that can either be incorporated into or dynamically
linked to the main program. Simultaneously, continue to help newbies who
want just the bookkeeping program and nothing else. What I can see from
the short time I’ve been in this group and reading the emails is that
GnuCash is basically flawed and fixing those flaws is a game of
Whack-a-Mole with each whack creating new software conflicts. When your
great idea just needs a tweak or two, you tweak. When your idea needs
fixes that look like a dog chasing its tail, you go back to the drawing
board.

Instead of fighting with GnuCash, I think that I’ll try to figure a way
to install an old DOS version of Quicken on my Pi. Aside from getting a
program that is clean and easy to use, it’ll be fun to re-visit the
Easter Eggs.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Jamestk
Adrien, answered a few points above.

The Python option looks good, and very worthwhile if I can overcome the
saving aspect too - it will only increase as time goes on so may as well
tackle it now.

I think the best option is to archive existing accounts by exporting to csv,
locking worksheet once checked then deleting GNC account.

When all accounts have been removed delete main file and start over, this
way it eliminates any inherent file problems  that may exist (file has been
checked before).

Re-import only the most recent transactions to a new file.

Cheers,

-------------------------------
[...]

Your mileage is different than mine.  I'm not seeing that many problems
for basic personal accounting.  And the folks here have been very helpful.

On 2/1/19 11:56 AM, Diane Trefethen wrote:

> I am trying to decide how to proceed with my accounting software. I
> have been using Quicken since DOS v2. Back then, if you encountered a
> problem, you could go over to Intuit in Menlo Park and there’d always
> be an engineer happy to talk with you. They also had free phone advise
> for a few hours, more than enough to get a newbie up and going. At
> about the same time Intuit moved their headquarters to Arizona (I
> think it was AZ), they replaced their original business model which
> was to provide a straightforward, user-friendly, virtually bug-free
> personal bookkeeping program. They switched to the Microsoft Model
> which is to “upgrade” with superfluous “features” and simultaneously
> introduce lots of bugs so customers who upgraded to the “new improved
> version” would be locked into an endless cycle of upgrading to get
> bugs fixed AND simultaneously acquire new bugs. Ain’t greed great :(
>
> Then my hard drive died and I decided to replace it, sort of, with a
> Raspberry Pi and take the plunge into the world of Linux. I had wanted
> to learn more about Unix since the late 70s and here was a golden
> opportunity to do just that. As my chits built up, I turned to the
> well thought of GnuCash, only to discover that it is a mess. It’s one
> thing to have a program that is DESIGNED to use specific outside
> utilities, which fact is then fully and accurately documented. It is
> quite another to have a program so buggy that the end user needs to go
> out and FIND the right 3rd party programs to make it run well, for a
> while, sort of. In short, GnuCash is about where Quicken was when
> Intuit dumped it. Buggy, unfriendly, and failing at trying to be all
> things to all users.
>
> I suggest that you Gnu folks do what Intuit did originally. Make a
> simple to use, bug-free personal bookkeeping program. [Maybe the
> rights to the original DOS and early Windows versions of Quicken are
> now free or could be gotten inexpensively and you could build on those
> platforms.] AFTER you get a program that works almost flawlessly, THEN
> create modules that can either be incorporated into or dynamically
> linked to the main program. Simultaneously, continue to help newbies
> who want just the bookkeeping program and nothing else. What I can see
> from the short time I’ve been in this group and reading the emails is
> that GnuCash is basically flawed and fixing those flaws is a game of
> Whack-a-Mole with each whack creating new software conflicts. When
> your great idea just needs a tweak or two, you tweak. When your idea
> needs fixes that look like a dog chasing its tail, you go back to the
> drawing board.
>
> Instead of fighting with GnuCash, I think that I’ll try to figure a
> way to install an old DOS version of Quicken on my Pi. Aside from
> getting a program that is clean and easy to use, it’ll be fun to
> re-visit the Easter Eggs.

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

johnny saylor
hola

On 2/1/19 2:56 PM, Diane Trefethen wrote:
> In short, GnuCash is about where Quicken was when Intuit dumped it.
> Buggy, unfriendly, and failing at trying to be all things to all users.
>
> I suggest that you Gnu folks do what Intuit did originally. Make a
> simple to use, bug-free personal bookkeeping program.

you seem to have a profound misunderstanding about what gnucash/open
source software is.

there are no gnu folks; it's not like a corporation; no one is trying to
sell you anything. some people may help if you ask nicely enough (most
likely), but they don't owe you anything.

it's not about the money (even if it is about keeping track of the
money) ...

if gnucash is not meeting your needs, go back to intuit and run DOS (or
whatever your dream personal finance software is). it's ok really ...

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Bucky Carr

I agree. Quit using Quicken 2 years ago and will never go back.

Diane, what are you trying to do? I find my usage of GNUcash to be
very basic and have not had
any problems with it.

On 2/1/2019 1:21 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> Your mileage is different than mine.  I'm not seeing that many problems
> for basic personal accounting.  And the folks here have been very helpful.
>

> On 2/1/19 11:56 AM, Diane Trefethen wrote:
>> I am trying to decide how to proceed with my accounting software.

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

That amount of memory you shouldn’t see any issues for sure. You may be on to something with the stocks if there are many. A fresh start would certainly confirm a performance bug or an issue with the data file.

> On Feb 1, 2019, at 1:58 PM, Jamestk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adrien, answered a few points above.
>
> The Python option looks good, and very worthwhile if I can overcome the
> saving aspect too - it will only increase as time goes on so may as well
> tackle it now.
>
> I think the best option is to archive existing accounts by exporting to csv,
> locking worksheet once checked then deleting GNC account.
>
> When all accounts have been removed delete main file and start over, this
> way it eliminates any inherent file problems  that may exist (file has been
> checked before).
>
> Re-import only the most recent transactions to a new file.
>
> Cheers,

Re: [GNC] GNUCash becoming unusable ..v3.4

Diane,

The dev team has at various times acknowledged the current state of the app isn’t where they would like it. But you can’t just jump from A to Z. They have a roadmap to get there and it takes time and people that aren’t in infinite supply. Some ‘upgrades’ aren’t really up to them either. As the project (like most these days) depends on other projects, they have to move along with those dependencies, all the while trying to re-write the base app. This will always introduce new bugs. There’s no real way around this short of trying to take over support for those older dependencies, which stretches their limited resources even further.

I’m not sure what 3rd party tools you are referring to. I’ve been using GnuCash for 6 years all by itself. I’ve used it for personal and business finances.

There have been some bugs along the way, but generally, any real difficulty I’ve had was due to my own misunderstanding. Once that was fixed, life improved.

If GnuCash isn’t to your tastes or doesn’t meet your needs, then by all means, use something else. If you decide to stay, many here are willing to help.

Trying to get a DOS app to run on the Pi would be quite an adventure, very likely taking more time than wrestling GnuCash to your liking. You might consider looking into ledger-cli. It’s as simple and easy as you can get while still having some financial discipline. It won’t meet every need, but it will get the basic job done of keeping track of finances. And it won’t require hoops to jump through to get it to run on the Pi. It’s more a ‘method’ or ‘workflow' than an app, somewhat similar to todo.txt