[GNC] GNUCash Documentation

Justin Haynes-2
I can probably start spending a little time each month contributing to documentation.  I read about how to start contributing and noticed that one of the steps is to open a bug in Bugzilla.  I noticed when searching Bugzilla (https://bugs.gnucash.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=Documentation&query_format=specific <https://bugs.gnucash.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=Documentation&query_format=specific>), that there are 50 bugs.  I skimmed them, to see what bugs looked like and how people are working on them as evidenced in the comments.

So I assume the following approach should work just fine, as I will not be having or wanting commit access:

1. If I see a bug I’d like to jump in and fix, and it doesn’t seem to be getting attention - just confirm by posting a comment to the bug proposing to work on it and see if I get a response within say 24 hours.  If I don’t see anything back, start working on it and submit my patches, or whatever we're calling them.

2. If I notice something that needs fixing, submit a bug and start working on it.

Am I on the right track?

Justin

Re: [GNC] GNUCash Documentation

John Ralls

> On Mar 13, 2019, at 7:03 PM, Justin Haynes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can probably start spending a little time each month contributing to documentation.  I read about how to start contributing and noticed that one of the steps is to open a bug in Bugzilla.  I noticed when searching Bugzilla (https://bugs.gnucash.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=Documentation&query_format=specific <https://bugs.gnucash.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=Documentation&query_format=specific>), that there are 50 bugs.  I skimmed them, to see what bugs looked like and how people are working on them as evidenced in the comments.
>
> So I assume the following approach should work just fine, as I will not be having or wanting commit access:
>
> 1. If I see a bug I’d like to jump in and fix, and it doesn’t seem to be getting attention - just confirm by posting a comment to the bug proposing to work on it and see if I get a response within say 24 hours.  If I don’t see anything back, start working on it and submit my patches, or whatever we're calling them.
>
> 2. If I notice something that needs fixing, submit a bug and start working on it.
>
> Am I on the right track?

Pretty much.

If you can get your head around git and Github we generally prefer Github pull requests [1] and failing that that patches be created with git format-patch [2]. We do recognize that that may be too much to expect from non-programmers, so if you need help getting a patch into submittable shape by all means ask here or on IRC.

[1] https://help.github.com/en/articles/about-pull-requests
[2] https://git-scm.com/docs/git-format-patch

Re: [GNC] GNUCash Documentation

Justin,

As one who has worked on the docs before, I say welcome! My only change would be to wait longer—say a week—since many are busy with other life responsibilities.

Is there a particular area that particularly irks you?

David

> On Mar 14, 2019, at 7:33 AM, Justin Haynes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can probably start spending a little time each month contributing to documentation.  I read about how to start contributing and noticed that one of the steps is to open a bug in Bugzilla.  I noticed when searching Bugzilla (https://bugs.gnucash.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=Documentation&query_format=specific <https://bugs.gnucash.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=Documentation&query_format=specific>), that there are 50 bugs.  I skimmed them, to see what bugs looked like and how people are working on them as evidenced in the comments.
>
> So I assume the following approach should work just fine, as I will not be having or wanting commit access:
>
> 1. If I see a bug I’d like to jump in and fix, and it doesn’t seem to be getting attention - just confirm by posting a comment to the bug proposing to work on it and see if I get a response within say 24 hours.  If I don’t see anything back, start working on it and submit my patches, or whatever we're calling them.
>
> 2. If I notice something that needs fixing, submit a bug and start working on it.
>
> Am I on the right track?
>

> Justin

Re: [GNC] GNUCash Documentation

Justin Haynes
Thanks David!

I just want to update the Edit -> Preferences area to start with.  Seems
the development team has been busy.  For example, I posted a message to the
forum on file associations.  The information cropped up in a thread 6
months ago I found later, but had the answers been in the documentation,
people may find them - or at least, we have a link to post when the
question comes up in the forum.

I don't have it handy, but I think I saw a bug already there for updating
section 10 on customizing GNUCash in bugzilla.  If that one doesn't cover
it then I can open a new one.

I currently use GNUCash on Windows and Mac, but I used to use it
exclusively on OpenBSD.  If I'm not mistaken the screenshots are taking
from some LINUX variant, so I'd likely throw the environment needed to do
documentation on a VM with a linux and take the screenshots needed from
that instance.

And on the timing - I will be moving rather slowly on this myself.  My work
commitments are high right now.  I can start a few minutes at a time
getting my environment set up and compiling the documentation to see it
work before I get started working on it.