[GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

12

[GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

GnuCash - User mailing list
I use Windows 10 with GNUCash 2.6.19 for home accounting. After 11 months of
perfect use, all reports suddenly fail to open and selecting any report,
including samples or one of my many customised reports (new one for each
month) causes the program to crash. Anyone aware of a fix, or maybe an
upgrade to version 3.3 will solve the problem? I've resisted the update due
to reading many reports of problems with 3.3 and so far 2.2.19 has been
fine. All reports worked fine at last month's home accounting. I only update
at the end of each month.
Thanks, Arnie.

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

David Carlson-4
Arnie,

Did you get a Windows update or have any other significant change to your
computer?

Release 2.6.19 itself has not changed, and various 2.6.x releases are still
working for me.

David C

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018, 12:10 PM Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user <
[hidden email] wrote:

> I use Windows 10 with GNUCash 2.6.19 for home accounting. After 11 months
> of
> perfect use, all reports suddenly fail to open and selecting any report,
> including samples or one of my many customised reports (new one for each
> month) causes the program to crash. Anyone aware of a fix, or maybe an
> upgrade to version 3.3 will solve the problem? I've resisted the update due
> to reading many reports of problems with 3.3 and so far 2.2.19 has been
> fine. All reports worked fine at last month's home accounting. I only
> update
> at the end of each month.
> Thanks, Arnie.

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

David Carlson-4
I did forget to mention that I use Gnucash mostly in Ubuntu 16.04 with
occasional forays into Windows 7 and rare forays into Windows 10.

David C

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018, 3:21 PM David Carlson <[hidden email]
wrote:

> Arnie,
>
> Did you get a Windows update or have any other significant change to your
> computer?
>
> Release 2.6.19 itself has not changed, and various 2.6.x releases are
> still working for me.
>
> David C
>
> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018, 12:10 PM Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I use Windows 10 with GNUCash 2.6.19 for home accounting. After 11 months
>> of
>> perfect use, all reports suddenly fail to open and selecting any report,
>> including samples or one of my many customised reports (new one for each
>> month) causes the program to crash. Anyone aware of a fix, or maybe an
>> upgrade to version 3.3 will solve the problem? I've resisted the update
>> due
>> to reading many reports of problems with 3.3 and so far 2.2.19 has been
>> fine. All reports worked fine at last month's home accounting. I only
>> update
>> at the end of each month.
>> Thanks, Arnie.

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

GnuCash - User mailing list
Only change other than routine updates was an upgrade from MS Office 2010 to Office 2019. This of course includes Access.

Sent from my iPhone.

> On 8 Dec 2018, at 9:25 pm, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I did forget to mention that I use Gnucash mostly in Ubuntu 16.04 with occasional forays into Windows 7 and rare forays into Windows 10.
>
> David C
>
>> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018, 3:21 PM David Carlson <[hidden email] wrote:
>> Arnie,
>>
>> Did you get a Windows update or have any other significant change to your computer?
>>
>> Release 2.6.19 itself has not changed, and various 2.6.x releases are still working for me.
>>
>> David C
>>
>>> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018, 12:10 PM Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user <[hidden email] wrote:
>>> I use Windows 10 with GNUCash 2.6.19 for home accounting. After 11 months of
>>> perfect use, all reports suddenly fail to open and selecting any report,
>>> including samples or one of my many customised reports (new one for each
>>> month) causes the program to crash. Anyone aware of a fix, or maybe an
>>> upgrade to version 3.3 will solve the problem? I've resisted the update due
>>> to reading many reports of problems with 3.3 and so far 2.2.19 has been
>>> fine. All reports worked fine at last month's home accounting. I only update
>>> at the end of each month.
>>> Thanks, Arnie.

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

GnuCash - User mailing list
Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11 months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
Arnie

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

John Ralls-2
Reinstalling GnuCash isn't likely to accomplish anything, and it's very unlikely that updating Microsoft Access has anything to do with the problem. A bit more troubleshooting is in order.

First, look at a tracefile (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile) from a crashed session to see if there's an error at the end of it that might indicate the cause of the crash. A stack trace (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace) is the best diagnostic but they're hard to get on Windows.

Try opening a backup file from a month ago if you have one available: Perhaps there's a data problem in the current file that's causing the crash. You can also try creating a new user and running GnuCash while logged in as that user to see if there's something in your environment that's causing the crash.

> On Dec 9, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11 months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
> Arnie

I just fired up GnuCash release 2.6.19 on Windows 10 Version    10.0.17134
Build 17134and I produced and printed a couple of reports without a crash,
so if you have a comparable build, that would probably not be your problem.

Try John's suggestions if possible.

David C

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reinstalling GnuCash isn't likely to accomplish anything, and it's very
> unlikely that updating Microsoft Access has anything to do with the
> problem. A bit more troubleshooting is in order.
>
> First, look at a tracefile (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile) from
> a crashed session to see if there's an error at the end of it that might
> indicate the cause of the crash. A stack trace (
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace) is the best diagnostic but
> they're hard to get on Windows.
>
> Try opening a backup file from a month ago if you have one available:
> Perhaps there's a data problem in the current file that's causing the
> crash. You can also try creating a new user and running GnuCash while
> logged in as that user to see if there's something in your environment
> that's causing the crash.

> > On Dec 9, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on
> my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which
> includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash
> every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I
> believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep
> fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11
> months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple
> home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the
> available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found
> fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
> > Arnie

John and David. Thank you for your time. Following Johns suggestion I have located the latest gnu.trace file which is copied below. Could you help please with identifying errors: It also seems that all data entries covering the month of Nov2018 have been deleted from the lists of accounts (ie latest entries before problems with crash). I’ve retrieved and opened two backup files from several months ago, these also show all up to date custom report file names, but selecting any of these causes a crash.

* 19:55:12  WARN <gnc.app-utils> Could not spawn perl: Failed to execute child process (No such file or directory)
* 19:55:12  CRIT <GLib> g_key_file_free: assertion 'key_file != NULL' failed
* 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
[...]

Best Regards

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM John Ralls <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:
Reinstalling GnuCash isn't likely to accomplish anything, and it's very unlikely that updating Microsoft Access has anything to do with the problem. A bit more troubleshooting is in order.

First, look at a tracefile (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile) from a crashed session to see if there's an error at the end of it that might indicate the cause of the crash. A stack trace (https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace) is the best diagnostic but they're hard to get on Windows.

Try opening a backup file from a month ago if you have one available: Perhaps there's a data problem in the current file that's causing the crash. You can also try creating a new user and running GnuCash while logged in as that user to see if there's something in your environment that's causing the crash.

> On Dec 9, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:
>
> Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11 months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
> Arnie

Stephen M. Butler
On 12/9/18 8:27 AM, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user wrote:
> Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11 months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
> Arnie

It's hard to say what is best for someone else.  The main differences
are the added features and bug fixes that later versions show.  I tend
to keep up with the latest version available -- but I don't do stock
quotes and most of my JVs are hand entered.  I do pull down a QFX file
from my credit card and from my bank to reduce my typing load a bit.
Nothing fancy and right now only for my personal finances.  Oh, I do
have a few scheduled transactions (JVs -- Journal Vouchers --
essentially the list of splits that make up a transaction in GNC).

Bug free?  As a software developer I can assure you that there is no
such thing.  The best you can achieve is a set of bugs with which you
can still utilize the software for your basic needs. So, with my basic
needs, I'm not seeing the problems others are reporting.  But, I do tend
to grab the latest patches anyway. Some will say that I'm on the
bleeding edge.  So far the cuts have not been serious -- and the folks
here are a great bunch to provide clues when I'm obviously clueless!

 From your previous tracefile, I'm curious regarding the NULL account
comments.  At this point I'm "clueless" but wondering if this means you
have an account with an empty name or if some transaction(s) somewhere
have an account with no name -- maybe point to a non-existent account.
Shouldn't happen but....

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

GnuCash - User mailing list
Thank you Stephen for your response. Sounds like sticking with 2.6.19 should be OK unless I’m advised a later release would suit better. I cannot see any un-names accounts but I follow your logic.
Arnie.

Sent from my iPhone.

> On 9 Dec 2018, at 9:19 pm, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12/9/18 8:27 AM, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user wrote:
>> Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11 months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
>> Arnie
>

> It's hard to say what is best for someone else.  The main differences are the added features and bug fixes that later versions show.  I tend to keep up with the latest version available -- but I don't do stock quotes and most of my JVs are hand entered.  I do pull down a QFX file from my credit card and from my bank to reduce my typing load a bit.  Nothing fancy and right now only for my personal finances.  Oh, I do have a few scheduled transactions (JVs -- Journal Vouchers -- essentially the list of splits that make up a transaction in GNC).
>
> Bug free?  As a software developer I can assure you that there is no such thing.  The best you can achieve is a set of bugs with which you can still utilize the software for your basic needs. So, with my basic needs, I'm not seeing the problems others are reporting.  But, I do tend to grab the latest patches anyway. Some will say that I'm on the bleeding edge.  So far the cuts have not been serious -- and the folks here are a great bunch to provide clues when I'm obviously clueless!
>
> From your previous tracefile, I'm curious regarding the NULL account comments.  At this point I'm "clueless" but wondering if this means you have an account with an empty name or if some transaction(s) somewhere have an account with no name -- maybe point to a non-existent account.  Shouldn't happen but....

Unfortunately there are no useful clues in the trace file. You might try opening a powershell window and starting GnuCash from the prompt (“C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\gnucash”) to see if guile is writing anything that isn’t getting captured by the logging facility.

Do not-customized reports (e.g. Reports>Assets>Balance Sheet) crash or just the customized ones? Does “customized” mean that you’ve changed some report options and saved the configuration or reports with custom Scheme code?

> [...]
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account
> * 19:57:18  WARN <gnc.query> [xaccQueryAddAccountMatch()] acct_list has NULL account

That’s bad news John, I hoped the trace would help. A crash results from selecting any report within the Report menu. After selection by clicking the report then the green “play” type button at the right, the main screen under the current open tabs goes blank. That is the open account tabs, panel and menu tabs remain at the top of the screen, but all open account data is replaced by a blank white screen. Just as if the report had opened without any data. Any further mouse selections produce a warning text that GNUCash is not responding. I use Task Manager to close the program. My customised reports are simple changes from the Options button to provide a new title, change the report Start Date and change the report End Date. These changes are saved using Save Configuration As…. I have a report for each month for Transactions and Cash Flow. These have worked perfectly for 11 months.
Best Regards
Arnie

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM John Ralls < <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]> wrote:
Reinstalling GnuCash isn't likely to accomplish anything, and it's very unlikely that updating Microsoft Access has anything to do with the problem. A bit more troubleshooting is in order.

First, look at a tracefile ( <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile) from a crashed session to see if there's an error at the end of it that might indicate the cause of the crash. A stack trace ( <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace) is the best diagnostic but they're hard to get on Windows.

Try opening a backup file from a month ago if you have one available: Perhaps there's a data problem in the current file that's causing the crash. You can also try creating a new user and running GnuCash while logged in as that user to see if there's something in your environment that's causing the crash.

> On Dec 9, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user < <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11 months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
> Arnie

Stan Brown
Hi, Arnie.

> Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 16:27:01 -0000
> From: "Arnie Reeves" <[hidden email]>
> To: "'David Carlson'" <[hidden email]>
>
> Thank you for your response David, suggesting ?other? program updates on
> my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which
> includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to
> crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so
> far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and
> keep fingers crossed.

You sound perhaps a bit skeptical of David's blaming your troubles on Windows 10 updates, so I thought I'd offer my perspective. Based on my experience at work (I do customer support for a company that sells application software to run in Windows), I have no trouble at all believing that David has put his finger on it.

We are seeing a LOT of cases where our software is working on Windows 10 computers, Windows or Office or both do an automatic update, and our software stops working. We spend weeks trying to troubleshoot some of these, and often we're unable to fix them because the cause is that Microsoft's own updates have broken a piece of its Windows or Office software.  GnuCash is fortunate in not being directly dependent on Excel, but Office updates update Windows code and vice versa, so either type of update can cause a problem in Windows or Office or both.

The pace of these "updatogenic" problems is accelerating in a frightening way. A time may come when it's simply impossible to keep application programs working in Windows 10, or at least where you can expect to spend more time finding help with problems caused by Microsoft updates than you do actually using your software.

One thing you can do to reduce your exposure is to make sure you're not in "Windows Insider", "Office Insider" or any other "Insider". Those update schedules get you updates that Microsoft doesn't even pretend to have tested adequately. Some problems are caught at that stage, so that the monthly updates are less buggy than they would be otherwise. Not that the monthly updates are bug free by any means, but they're usually not as bad as the Insider builds.

--
Stan Brown
[hidden email]

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

GnuCash - User mailing list
Thank you Stan for your interesting comments regarding the effects of MS Windows 10/Office updates. I will hold these in mind as I dig deeper.
Best Regards
Arnie

> Thank you for your response David, suggesting ?other? program updates on
> my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which
> includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to
> crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so
> far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and
> keep fingers crossed.

You sound perhaps a bit skeptical of David's blaming your troubles on Windows 10 updates, so I thought I'd offer my perspective. Based on my experience at work (I do customer support for a company that sells application software to run in Windows), I have no trouble at all believing that David has put his finger on it.

We are seeing a LOT of cases where our software is working on Windows 10 computers, Windows or Office or both do an automatic update, and our software stops working. We spend weeks trying to troubleshoot some of these, and often we're unable to fix them because the cause is that Microsoft's own updates have broken a piece of its Windows or Office software.  GnuCash is fortunate in not being directly dependent on Excel, but Office updates update Windows code and vice versa, so either type of update can cause a problem in Windows or Office or both.

The pace of these "updatogenic" problems is accelerating in a frightening way. A time may come when it's simply impossible to keep application programs working in Windows 10, or at least where you can expect to spend more time finding help with problems caused by Microsoft updates than you do actually using your software.

One thing you can do to reduce your exposure is to make sure you're not in "Windows Insider", "Office Insider" or any other "Insider". Those update schedules get you updates that Microsoft doesn't even pretend to have tested adequately. Some problems are caught at that stage, so that the monthly updates are less buggy than they would be otherwise. Not that the monthly updates are bug free by any means, but they're usually not as bad as the Insider builds.

--
Stan Brown
[hidden email]
https://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Re: [GNC] GNU crashes when any Report is selected

Arnie,

That’s not a crash, it’s a hang. How long are you waiting to kill it?

> On Dec 10, 2018, at 2:12 AM, Arnie Reeves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That’s bad news John, I hoped the trace would help. A crash results from selecting any report within the Report menu. After selection by clicking the report then the green “play” type button at the right, the main screen under the current open tabs goes blank. That is the open account tabs, panel and menu tabs remain at the top of the screen, but all open account data is replaced by a blank white screen. Just as if the report had opened without any data. Any further mouse selections produce a warning text that GNUCash is not responding. I use Task Manager to close the program. My customised reports are simple changes from the Options button to provide a new title, change the report Start Date and change the report End Date. These changes are saved using Save Configuration As…. I have a report for each month for Transactions and Cash Flow. These have worked perfectly for 11 months.
> Best Regards
> Arnie

I have been living with report building times in that range for most of the
time that I have been using releases newer than about 2.6.4 or so.  It
varies depending on which report I am opening, tho.

I think it is still much faster with a tiny data file.

David C

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 9:08 AM Arnie Reeves <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You’re dead right John. It’s a hang. I’m all red faced, but the text
> “GNUCash is not responding” is more than a little indicative of a cash to
> this newbie, sorry to have wasted so many folk’s time. It is taking 1 to 2
> minutes to clear at which the reports appear and any subsequent report
> selection are instantly screened. I’ve now tested this by program
> close/restarts and it’s always 1 to 2 minutes for the first report, then
> instant response. In the past there has never been a delay. The only “out
> of routine” entry was the very last entry in which I entered a transaction
> in an account, then typed in a new “Transfer” account name and allowed
> GNUCash to make a new account for me. On checking now, I find the new
> account correctly detailed except for a blank Description field which I
> have now corrected. However I have the same excessive delay waiting for
> Reports to open. Do you have any thoughts to correct this please.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Arnie

Still, if GnuCash started hanging recently even with very old backups,
something odd is happening.  Granted, old backups of my data would  have a
rough time with Since Last Run slowing it down until it got through the
scheduled transactions...  Arnie's setup is still different than mine, as
my data doesn't hang any longer than usual when GnuCash 2.6.19 is building
reports in Windows 10.

Since my data takes two or three minutes for every full file save, I do not
notice slow report building.

Arnie, have you tried building a new data file with a very small number of
transactions and a new name to test your system?

David C

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:28 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Arnie,
>
> That’s not a crash, it’s a hang. How long are you waiting to kill it?

> On Dec 10, 2018, at 2:12 AM, Arnie Reeves <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> That’s bad news John, I hoped the trace would help. A crash results from
> selecting any report within the Report menu. After selection by clicking
> the report then the green “play” type button at the right, the main screen
> under the current open tabs goes blank. That is the open account tabs,
> panel and menu tabs remain at the top of the screen, but all open account
> data is replaced by a blank white screen. Just as if the report had opened
> without any data. Any further mouse selections produce a warning text that
> GNUCash is not responding. I use Task Manager to close the program. My
> customised reports are simple changes from the Options button to provide a
> new title, change the report Start Date and change the report End Date.
> These changes are saved using Save Configuration As…. I have a report for
> each month for Transactions and Cash Flow. These have worked perfectly for
> 11 months.
> Best Regards
> Arnie

Back in 2017, https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=785580 <https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=785580> was filed, in which it was noted that for reasons unspecified, the first report run by GnuCash under Windows was always delayed by something like 30 seconds. That bug (and its duplicate, https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790789 <https://bugs.gnucash.org/show_bug.cgi?id=790789>, which more directly describes Arnie’s results), are still open, suggesting that a solution has yet to be found.

David T.

> On Dec 10, 2018, at 9:02 PM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Still, if GnuCash started hanging recently even with very old backups,
> something odd is happening.  Granted, old backups of my data would  have a
> rough time with Since Last Run slowing it down until it got through the
> scheduled transactions...  Arnie's setup is still different than mine, as
> my data doesn't hang any longer than usual when GnuCash 2.6.19 is building
> reports in Windows 10.
>
> Since my data takes two or three minutes for every full file save, I do not
> notice slow report building.
>
> Arnie, have you tried building a new data file with a very small number of
> transactions and a new name to test your system?
>
> David C
>
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 8:28 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Arnie,
>>
>> That’s not a crash, it’s a hang. How long are you waiting to kill it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>
>> On Dec 10, 2018, at 2:12 AM, Arnie Reeves <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> That’s bad news John, I hoped the trace would help. A crash results from
>> selecting any report within the Report menu. After selection by clicking
>> the report then the green “play” type button at the right, the main screen
>> under the current open tabs goes blank. That is the open account tabs,
>> panel and menu tabs remain at the top of the screen, but all open account
>> data is replaced by a blank white screen. Just as if the report had opened
>> without any data. Any further mouse selections produce a warning text that
>> GNUCash is not responding. I use Task Manager to close the program. My
>> customised reports are simple changes from the Options button to provide a
>> new title, change the report Start Date and change the report End Date.
>> These changes are saved using Save Configuration As…. I have a report for
>> each month for Transactions and Cash Flow. These have worked perfectly for
>> 11 months.
>> Best Regards
>> Arnie

Thanks David, I’ll try to do that, but note that I have only small household transactions, so the full transaction report of all account only run to three pages each month. Also puzzled that after the first hang waiting for any report – even a small cash flow – all subsequent reports open instantly. I was thinking of closing out the books this month and taking asset values only into a new set of accounts for next year. Do I simply open up a new folder with a new name and start again? Should I download a more recent update or stick with the 2.6.19?
Arnie

I just fired up GnuCash release 2.6.19 on Windows 10 Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134and I produced and printed a couple of reports without a crash, so if you have a comparable build, that would probably not be your problem.

Try John's suggestions if possible.

David C

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 11:29 AM John Ralls < <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]> wrote:
Reinstalling GnuCash isn't likely to accomplish anything, and it's very unlikely that updating Microsoft Access has anything to do with the problem. A bit more troubleshooting is in order.

First, look at a tracefile ( <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile) from a crashed session to see if there's an error at the end of it that might indicate the cause of the crash. A stack trace ( <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stack_Trace) is the best diagnostic but they're hard to get on Windows.

Try opening a backup file from a month ago if you have one available: Perhaps there's a data problem in the current file that's causing the crash. You can also try creating a new user and running GnuCash while logged in as that user to see if there's something in your environment that's causing the crash.

> On Dec 9, 2018, at 8:27 AM, Arnie Reeves via gnucash-user < <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your response David, suggesting “other” program updates on my Windows 10 set up, including a recent upgrade to MS Office 2019 which includes Access, may be responsible for causing my GNUCash 2.6.19 to crash every time I select a report. That being the only suggestion (so far), I believe my only option is to reinstall the GNUCash program, and keep fingers crossed. I understand any reinstallation will be able to use the 11 months existing data without any further actions from me.(?). For a simple home accounts use, please could some-one explain the differences of the available versions – such as 2.6.19 (Currently used and previously found fine) and 3.3 etc. Which is best, and bug free, for my simple home accounts.
> Arnie

12