[GNC] GC keeps prompting me to create an account and it just won't away

[GNC] GC keeps prompting me to create an account and it just won't away

GnuCash - User mailing list
I must've hit the wrong button somewhere because I keep getting this pop-up, Account ExpenseAccounts:Food:fruits:bananasHot dog 1.99*2 does not exist, would you like to create it, Yes/No?To which I answer, "No" but the pop-up just shows up again!I finally said, "Yes", then canceled the thing. That seems to have fixed the problem.
I'm running GC 3.0 Build 2.6.17b-2765-g70e636646+(2018-04-01) under Ubuntu 17.10.This version has sticky fields. I.e., whenever I duplicate transactions, I have to click on the original so I can overwrite the text.
Thanks,Art

Re: [GNC] GC keeps prompting me to create an account and it just won't away

David Carlson-4
Here is a tip.  When that (...) does not exist ... prompt appears, if you
do not know which transaction triggered it, click on the red x button to
close the file.  this will bring up a prompt asking if you want to save
your changes to a certain named window, which may be an account name or
search results, for example.  This will help you find the offending
transaction.  Once you have the offending transaction in focus, delete all
the characters in the account field. then you will get a chance to exit the
transaction abandoning all changes.  Now you can save the file and continue
entering data or close the file.

David C

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Art via gnucash-user <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I must've hit the wrong button somewhere because I keep getting this
> pop-up, Account ExpenseAccounts:Food:fruits:bananasHot dog 1.99*2 does
> not exist, would you like to create it, Yes/No?To which I answer, "No" but
> the pop-up just shows up again!I finally said, "Yes", then canceled the
> thing. That seems to have fixed the problem.
> I'm running GC 3.0 Build 2.6.17b-2765-g70e636646+(2018-04-01) under
> Ubuntu 17.10.This version has sticky fields. I.e., whenever I duplicate
> transactions, I have to click on the original so I can overwrite the text.
> Thanks,Art

Re: [GNC] GC keeps prompting me to create an account and it just won't away

GnuCash - User mailing list
It looks as if Art has entered descriptive information into an account field. GnuCash will always ask if you want to create the nonexistent account (that’s a feature, BTW). Based on the sample string, you’d need to tab out of the account after “bananas”, put “Hot dog” in a memo (presumably), and the calculation into the amount field. Although, why you’d put hot dogs in an account for bananas is beyond me.

David T.

> On Jun 13, 2018, at 10:07 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here is a tip.  When that (...) does not exist ... prompt appears, if you
> do not know which transaction triggered it, click on the red x button to
> close the file.  this will bring up a prompt asking if you want to save
> your changes to a certain named window, which may be an account name or
> search results, for example.  This will help you find the offending
> transaction.  Once you have the offending transaction in focus, delete all
> the characters in the account field. then you will get a chance to exit the
> transaction abandoning all changes.  Now you can save the file and continue
> entering data or close the file.
>
> David C
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:29 PM, Art via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I must've hit the wrong button somewhere because I keep getting this
>> pop-up, Account ExpenseAccounts:Food:fruits:bananasHot dog 1.99*2 does
>> not exist, would you like to create it, Yes/No?To which I answer, "No" but
>> the pop-up just shows up again!I finally said, "Yes", then canceled the
>> thing. That seems to have fixed the problem.
>> I'm running GC 3.0 Build 2.6.17b-2765-g70e636646+(2018-04-01) under
>> Ubuntu 17.10.This version has sticky fields. I.e., whenever I duplicate
>> transactions, I have to click on the original so I can overwrite the text.
>> Thanks,Art

Re: [GNC] GC keeps prompting me to create an account and it just won't away

David Carlson-4
David T

If you had met a certain grandchild of mine you would understand banana s
and hot dogs.

David C