[GNC] Fw: Budget Total Anomalies: attached files

[GNC] Fw: Budget Total Anomalies: attached files

Peter Jackson-2
I attach
1) Export of Budget Report
2) Excel version of same, which shows the January Downcast total (in Green) does not equal Gnucash January Total at top of column'

Please help.
Regards

Peter

Re: [GNC] Fw: Budget Total Anomalies: attached files

Adrien Monteleone-2
Hmm..

Okay, not a problem with the “same day of week” setting then.

Do you have any hidden accounts in this budget report? or in the budget itself?

Run the report again, make sure to select all children of expenses.

In the budget module, use a View > Filter By... filter to make sure everything is visible. Both tabs in the filter dialog should have everything checked off. (by default, hidden and empty/unused accounts are not visible) It is possible you may have budgeted values entered for these accounts and then when re-opening the budget, they reverted to not visible, and when running the report, you might have selected accounts based off a visual inspection of the budget window.

However, the visual math is *more* than what the Budget Report is showing. Which would indicate that if a non-visible account is the culprit (or more than one) the net result is a (£1,312.87). Is that figure significant to you in any of your accounts? Are there any negative expenses budgeted in non-visible accounts?

Outside of that, I’m a bit perplexed as well since it is not the Actuals that are off but the Budget column that shows a variance from actual math. So actual transactions wouldn’t be something to investigate.

If you still don’t have a solution try this:

Open a brand new file. (you can export your account structure from the current file and import it to the new one to save time)

Create a budget and enter the same figures, watching closely as you do between the reported total for budgeted expenses and what actual math shows it should be. Does this fresh file report the correct amount? (you’ll definitely have to make unused and hidden accounts visible in this case to even see them in the budget window) Does the entry in any particular account cause the expenses total to reduce instead of increase? (when entering a positive number)

If the total does decrease when entering a positive amount, or else you have non-visible accounts in the current budget but with positive amounts, this would indicate the type of those accounts has a reversed sign and are probably not properly created as Expense accounts. This can be fixed from the Accounts tab and editing those account, assigning them the correct type. If for some reason you can’t change the type, you’ll need to create new accounts properly, delete the old accounts and let GnuCash move the transactions for you. Then go back to the budget and re-enter your budgeted expenses for them.

One last thing to try: change your Reverse Balanced Accounts preference in GnuCash to “none”. (presuming this isn’t your current setting) Close GnuCash. Reopen, run the Budget Report - is it correct? (signs may be opposite of what is expected but all math should work out) Now, change the preference back to what you had before, close, reopen and run the report again. Any differences? (other than displayed signs)

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Peter Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I attach
> 1) Export of Budget Report
> 2) Excel version of same, which shows the January Downcast total (in Green) does not equal Gnucash January Total at top of column'
>
> Please help.
> Regards
>
> Peter

Christopher Lam
Two ideas:
1. The error relates to the first column in the spreadsheet. The first
column may include several budget periods. Please let us know the report
general options.
2. The total amount may include amounts in the placeholder "expenses"
account -- please check if this parent account has any transactions.

Please file bugs, and ideally some test cases.

On Fri., 25 Jan. 2019, 04:11 Peter Jackson <[hidden email] wrote:

> I attach
> 1) Export of Budget Report
> 2) Excel version of same, which shows the January Downcast total (in
> Green) does not equal Gnucash January Total at top of column'
>
> Please help.
> Regards
>
> Peter

Thank you. In the event I have rebuilt the entire budget starting from scratch, and all is well.
Regards
Peter

Nurton Court

Middleton-on-the-Hill