[GNC] Forward payments

Tony Vanson
Hi all,
Hopefully someone can advise me how to treat the following problem which
stumps me.
I am using GNUcash 2.6.18 on Windows 10.
I shall be away for several months and have transferred credit from my
Savings account to my Staff account with a lump sum amount for her to pay
her Salary, Electricity, Pool chemicals, Internet access etc, on the due
date. All these are set up as expense accounts.
All accounts, apart from her Salary and Internet access, are variable in
amount and payment date.
I assume that I have to split the lump sum to the various accounts as they
are paid or is there some other method?
I also need to take into account that the payment I've made to the Staff
account may be too small or too large.
Any enlightenment to a personally perplexing problem would be greatly
appreciated.
P.S. I only use GNUcash for my personal information and does not have any
taxation or other legal requirement.
Cheers

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Maf. King
On Thursday, 28 June 2018 07:53:02 BST Tony Vanson wrote:

> Hi all,
> Hopefully someone can advise me how to treat the following problem which
> stumps me.
> I am using GNUcash 2.6.18 on Windows 10.
> I shall be away for several months and have transferred credit from my
> Savings account to my Staff account with a lump sum amount for her to pay
> her Salary, Electricity, Pool chemicals, Internet access etc, on the due
> date. All these are set up as expense accounts.
> All accounts, apart from her Salary and Internet access, are variable in
> amount and payment date.
> I assume that I have to split the lump sum to the various accounts as they
> are paid or is there some other method?
> I also need to take into account that the payment I've made to the Staff
> account may be too small or too large.
> Any enlightenment to a personally perplexing problem would be greatly
> appreciated.
> P.S. I only use GNUcash for my personal information and does not have any
> taxation or other legal requirement.
> Cheers

Hi Tony.

Do you have accounts in GC that represent your Savings account & Staff
accounts?

To me it seems that you should let GC reflect reality - you've got a
transaction from Assets:Savings to Assets:StaffAccount.  as the payments are
made, you have transactions between Assets:StaffAccount & expense accounts as
appropriate. (presumably, you could be emailed details of payments made to
keep your GC up to date?)

If, on your return, you have balance left in Assets:StaffAccount, just record
a transaction putting it back into savings.

HTH,
Maf.

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Tony Vanson
Thank you for your quick response. My Staff account is set up as an Expense
not as an Asset. In this particular case would I need to set up a new
account Current Assets:Staff - as a child account under Current Assets?
Cheers

--
*Tony Vanson*

*The older I get,*
*the better I was*

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Maf. King
On Thursday, 28 June 2018 08:25:51 BST Tony Vanson wrote:
> Thank you for your quick response. My Staff account is set up as an Expense
> not as an Asset. In this particular case would I need to set up a new
> account Current Assets:Staff - as a child account under Current Assets?
> Cheers

Hi Tony,

What is the staff account in the real world?

How have you used it in GC so far - ie what general transactions touch it?

If you were not going away, how would you record the salary and pool chemical
expenses?

Sorry if this seems like an interrogation, I'm just trying to understand your
workflow before suggesting changes to it!

Maf.

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Tony Vanson
Thanks again. Normally the staff salary would be simply paid from my
Current assets:Bank Account to Expenses:Staff as they become due.
Similarly with the other payments from my Current:assets:Bank Account to
the various other expense account: e.g. Expenses:Pool etc. etc.
Cheers

--
*Tony Vanson*

*The older I get,*
*the better I was*

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Maf. King
On Thursday, 28 June 2018 08:46:41 BST Tony Vanson wrote:
> Thanks again. Normally the staff salary would be simply paid from my
> Current assets:Bank Account to Expenses:Staff as they become due.
> Similarly with the other payments from my Current:assets:Bank Account to
> the various other expense account: e.g. Expenses:Pool etc. etc.
> Cheers

Hi Tony,

That all makes perfect sense -  so have you "loaned" the money to cover the
time you are away directly to an employee? (ie into someone else's personal
account)

I'm trying to understand what you mean by "transferred from savings to Staff
Account" in your OP.

But yes, it seems to me in summary you want the Staff Account to be an asset -
if there is unused money at the end of your trip in the Staff Account it will
be returned to you, just as if you put it in some other temporary bank account
(or notes in a shoe bux under the bed!)   Expenses txns then go from the new
asset account to the expense accounts, very much as you do at present.

Maf.

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Tony Vanson
Thank you for your patience
Yes, I guess, in this instance, it could be considered as a type of
temporary loan for her to pay the bills. However, my thoughts are, that if
I change the current classification of Expenses:Staff to Current
Assets:Staff, when I pay her salary I'm decreasing an Asset (Bank Account)
but would also be needing to decrease another asset account Current
Assets:Staff. Am I wrong in assuming that this cannot be done?

By "transferred from savings to Staff Account" I meant when salary payment
is made (usually in cash) it is from my Current Assets:Bank Account:Cash in
Wallet with the offsetting account being Expense:Staff Account"
Cheers

--
*Tony Vanson*

*The older I get,*
*the better I was*

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Christopher Lam
You are effectively doing a split transaction.

Assets:Bank -$1250
Assets:Staff  +$250 (sundries)
Expenses:Staff +$1000 (salary)

As the staff member spends appropriately, transfer from Assets:Staff to
Expenses:Various

On 28/06/18 18:31, Tony Vanson wrote:

> Thank you for your patience
> Yes, I guess, in this instance, it could be considered as a type of
> temporary loan for her to pay the bills. However, my thoughts are, that if
> I change the current classification of Expenses:Staff to Current
> Assets:Staff, when I pay her salary I'm decreasing an Asset (Bank Account)
> but would also be needing to decrease another asset account Current
> Assets:Staff. Am I wrong in assuming that this cannot be done?
>
> By "transferred from savings to Staff Account" I meant when salary payment
> is made (usually in cash) it is from my Current Assets:Bank Account:Cash in
> Wallet with the offsetting account being Expense:Staff Account"
> Cheers
>

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 2:57 PM, Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 28 June 2018 08:46:41 BST Tony Vanson wrote:
>>> Thanks again. Normally the staff salary would be simply paid from my
>>> Current assets:Bank Account to Expenses:Staff as they become due.
>>> Similarly with the other payments from my Current:assets:Bank Account to
>>> the various other expense account: e.g. Expenses:Pool etc. etc.
>>> Cheers
>>>
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> That all makes perfect sense -  so have you "loaned" the money to cover
>> the
>> time you are away directly to an employee? (ie into someone else's
>> personal
>> account)
>>
>> I'm trying to understand what you mean by "transferred from savings to
>> Staff
>> Account" in your OP.
>>
>> But yes, it seems to me in summary you want the Staff Account to be an
>> asset -
>> if there is unused money at the end of your trip in the Staff Account it
>> will
>> be returned to you, just as if you put it in some other temporary bank
>> account
>> (or notes in a shoe bux under the bed!)   Expenses txns then go from the
>> new
>> asset account to the expense accounts, very much as you do at present.
>>
>> Maf.

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Tony Vanson
Thank you - short and sweet - and confirms that I need an additional asset
account.
Cheers

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You are effectively doing a split transaction.
>
> Assets:Bank -$1250
> Assets:Staff  +$250 (sundries)
> Expenses:Staff +$1000 (salary)
>
> As the staff member spends appropriately, transfer from Assets:Staff to
> Expenses:Various

> On 28/06/18 18:31, Tony Vanson wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your patience
>> Yes, I guess, in this instance, it could be considered as a type of
>> temporary loan for her to pay the bills. However, my thoughts are, that if
>> I change the current classification of Expenses:Staff to Current
>> Assets:Staff, when I pay her salary I'm decreasing an Asset (Bank Account)
>> but would also be needing to decrease another asset account Current
>> Assets:Staff. Am I wrong in assuming that this cannot be done?
>>
>> By "transferred from savings to Staff Account" I meant when salary payment
>> is made (usually in cash) it is from my Current Assets:Bank Account:Cash
>> in
>> Wallet with the offsetting account being Expense:Staff Account"
>> Cheers

>>> That all makes perfect sense -  so have you "loaned" the money to cover
>>> the
>>> time you are away directly to an employee? (ie into someone else's
>>> personal
>>> account)
>>>
>>> I'm trying to understand what you mean by "transferred from savings to
>>> Staff
>>> Account" in your OP.
>>>
>>> But yes, it seems to me in summary you want the Staff Account to be an
>>> asset -
>>> if there is unused money at the end of your trip in the Staff Account it
>>> will
>>> be returned to you, just as if you put it in some other temporary bank
>>> account
>>> (or notes in a shoe bux under the bed!)   Expenses txns then go from the
>>> new
>>> asset account to the expense accounts, very much as you do at present.
>>>
>>> Maf.

*Tony Vanson*

*The older I get,*
*the better I was*

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Maf. King
On Thursday, 28 June 2018 11:31:08 BST Tony Vanson wrote:

> Thank you for your patience
> Yes, I guess, in this instance, it could be considered as a type of
> temporary loan for her to pay the bills. However, my thoughts are, that if
> I change the current classification of Expenses:Staff to Current
> Assets:Staff, when I pay her salary I'm decreasing an Asset (Bank Account)
> but would also be needing to decrease another asset account Current
> Assets:Staff. Am I wrong in assuming that this cannot be done?
>
> By "transferred from savings to Staff Account" I meant when salary payment
> is made (usually in cash) it is from my Current Assets:Bank Account:Cash in
> Wallet with the offsetting account being Expense:Staff Account"
> Cheers

Hi Tony,

you can have assets:advancetransfer (call it what you like!)  and
expenses:staff as already existing

instead of transfer from Bank:Cash -> Expenses:Staff (the normal transaction
for salary)
you do

Bank -> assets:AdvanceTransfer   (ie before you go away)

then as required while you are away

Asset:advanceTransfer -> Expenses:StaffSalary
or
Asset:AdvanceTransfer -> Expenses:PoolChems

when you are back, if there is anything left in AdvanceTransfer, you can bring
it back to the bank account, or if it is negative, put more into it.  I don't
see your point about touching 2 asset accounts at the same time.

HTH,
Maf.

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/28/2018 12:25 AM, Tony Vanson wrote:
> Thank you for your quick response. My Staff account is set up as an Expense
> not as an Asset. In this particular case would I need to set up a new
> account Current Assets:Staff - as a child account under Current Assets?
> Cheers

I would set it up as an asset.  Even if you physically handed them the
cash and they physically put it into their wallet for future
disbursement as needed, it is still your asset.  If anything is left
over when you return it would come back to you for put back into the bank.

I presume you will get periodic statements about how that asset is being
disbursed so you can make the appropriate entries to transfer funds to
the appropriate expense accounts (just like you do now, except the asset
side is not the bank but the "staff accountant").

That way you could notice if the funds were running short and do online
banking to send more funds to that person.

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 2:08 PM, Maf. King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 28 June 2018 07:53:02 BST Tony Vanson wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> Hopefully someone can advise me how to treat the following problem which
>>> stumps me.
>>> I am using GNUcash 2.6.18 on Windows 10.
>>> I shall be away for several months and have transferred credit from my
>>> Savings account to my Staff account with a lump sum amount for her to pay
>>> her Salary, Electricity, Pool chemicals, Internet access etc, on the due
>>> date. All these are set up as expense accounts.
>>> All accounts, apart from her Salary and Internet access, are variable in
>>> amount and payment date.
>>> I assume that I have to split the lump sum to the various accounts as
>> they
>>> are paid or is there some other method?
>>> I also need to take into account that the payment I've made to the Staff
>>> account may be too small or too large.
>>> Any enlightenment to a personally perplexing problem would be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>> P.S. I only use GNUcash for my personal information and does not have any
>>> taxation or other legal requirement.
>>> Cheers
>> Hi Tony.
>>
>> Do you have accounts in GC that represent your Savings account & Staff
>> accounts?
>>
>> To me it seems that you should let GC reflect reality - you've got a
>> transaction from Assets:Savings to Assets:StaffAccount.  as the payments
>> are
>> made, you have transactions between Assets:StaffAccount & expense accounts
>> as
>> appropriate. (presumably, you could be emailed details of payments made to
>> keep your GC up to date?)
>>
>> If, on your return, you have balance left in Assets:StaffAccount, just
>> record
>> a transaction putting it back into savings.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Maf.

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Tony Vanson
My thanks to all respondents. It is finally making sense to my befuddled
brain.
However I have one more spanner in the works. I had already transferred
funds from my Current Assets:Bank account to Expenses:Staff.
My Bank account has been reconciled.
What, if any, process is available to transfer the forward payment funds
from Expenses:Staff to the newly created Current Assets:Forward Payment
Credit account without messing things up, or would I need to delete the
original transfer and re-enter it to reflect the new process?
Thanks again for all your patience.
Cheers

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:13 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/28/2018 12:25 AM, Tony Vanson wrote:
> > Thank you for your quick response. My Staff account is set up as an
> Expense
> > not as an Asset. In this particular case would I need to set up a new
> > account Current Assets:Staff - as a child account under Current Assets?
> > Cheers
>
> I would set it up as an asset.  Even if you physically handed them the
> cash and they physically put it into their wallet for future
> disbursement as needed, it is still your asset.  If anything is left
> over when you return it would come back to you for put back into the bank.
>
> I presume you will get periodic statements about how that asset is being
> disbursed so you can make the appropriate entries to transfer funds to
> the appropriate expense accounts (just like you do now, except the asset
> side is not the bank but the "staff accountant").
>
> That way you could notice if the funds were running short and do online
> banking to send more funds to that person.

> which
> pay
> due
> in
> >> they
> Staff
> any
> >> Hi Tony.
> >>
> >> Do you have accounts in GC that represent your Savings account & Staff
> >> accounts?
> >>
> >> To me it seems that you should let GC reflect reality - you've got a
> >> transaction from Assets:Savings to Assets:StaffAccount.  as the payments
> >> are
> >> made, you have transactions between Assets:StaffAccount & expense
> accounts
> >> as
> >> appropriate. (presumably, you could be emailed details of payments made
> >> keep your GC up to date?)
> >>
> >> If, on your return, you have balance left in Assets:StaffAccount, just
> >> record
> >> a transaction putting it back into savings.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> Maf.

*Tony Vanson*

*The older I get,*
*the better I was*

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Colin Law
You can edit the transfer into the expense account and change the
recipient to be the asset acct.  You will get a warning that you are
changing a reconciled transaction but it will not affect the reconcile
(just make sure you don't change the amount transferred).

Colin

On 29 June 2018 at 04:34, Tony Vanson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My thanks to all respondents. It is finally making sense to my befuddled
> brain.
> However I have one more spanner in the works. I had already transferred
> funds from my Current Assets:Bank account to Expenses:Staff.
> My Bank account has been reconciled.
> What, if any, process is available to transfer the forward payment funds
> from Expenses:Staff to the newly created Current Assets:Forward Payment
> Credit account without messing things up, or would I need to delete the
> original transfer and re-enter it to reflect the new process?
> Thanks again for all your patience.
> Cheers
>

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:13 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 06/28/2018 12:25 AM, Tony Vanson wrote:
>> > Thank you for your quick response. My Staff account is set up as an
>> Expense
>> > not as an Asset. In this particular case would I need to set up a new
>> > account Current Assets:Staff - as a child account under Current Assets?
>> > Cheers
>>
>> I would set it up as an asset.  Even if you physically handed them the
>> cash and they physically put it into their wallet for future
>> disbursement as needed, it is still your asset.  If anything is left
>> over when you return it would come back to you for put back into the bank.
>>
>> I presume you will get periodic statements about how that asset is being
>> disbursed so you can make the appropriate entries to transfer funds to
>> the appropriate expense accounts (just like you do now, except the asset
>> side is not the bank but the "staff accountant").
>>
>> That way you could notice if the funds were running short and do online
>> banking to send more funds to that person.

>> which
>> pay
>> due
>> in
>> Staff
>> any

>> accounts

> *Tony Vanson*
>
> *The older I get,*
> *the better I was*

Re: [GNC] Forward payments

Tony Vanson
Thanks Colin
That's done the trick.
Cheers

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 2:15 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can edit the transfer into the expense account and change the
> recipient to be the asset acct.  You will get a warning that you are
> changing a reconciled transaction but it will not affect the reconcile
> (just make sure you don't change the amount transferred).
>
> Colin
>
> On 29 June 2018 at 04:34, Tony Vanson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > My thanks to all respondents. It is finally making sense to my befuddled
> > brain.
> > However I have one more spanner in the works. I had already transferred
> > funds from my Current Assets:Bank account to Expenses:Staff.
> > My Bank account has been reconciled.
> > What, if any, process is available to transfer the forward payment funds
> > from Expenses:Staff to the newly created Current Assets:Forward Payment
> > Credit account without messing things up, or would I need to delete the
> > original transfer and re-enter it to reflect the new process?
> > Thanks again for all your patience.
> > Cheers
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:13 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> >> Expense
> Assets?
> >>
> >> I would set it up as an asset.  Even if you physically handed them the
> >> cash and they physically put it into their wallet for future
> >> disbursement as needed, it is still your asset.  If anything is left
> >> over when you return it would come back to you for put back into the
> bank.
> >>
> >> I presume you will get periodic statements about how that asset is being
> >> disbursed so you can make the appropriate entries to transfer funds to
> >> the appropriate expense accounts (just like you do now, except the asset
> >> side is not the bank but the "staff accountant").
> >>
> >> That way you could notice if the funds were running short and do online
> >> banking to send more funds to that person.

> >> which
> my
> >> pay
> >> due
> variable
> >> in
> as
> >> Staff
> greatly
> have
> >> any

> Staff

> payments
> >> accounts
> made

> just

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----
> >>

> > --
> > *Tony Vanson*