[GNC] Formatting reply posts (Re: Copy a month's budget)

[GNC] Formatting reply posts (Re: Copy a month's budget)

GnuCash - User mailing list
It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my suggestion is as follows...
   - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.
   - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated.
   - Compose all fresh comments with normal text.
   - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).

Un-quoted top posting without nested levels is certainly quite the pain, I agree. I?ve seen some examples of it here lately.

> On Jan 12, 2019, at 10:28 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have always enjoyed the following example of top posting:
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> ============
>
> But, then, there are good reasons to use each style at the appropriate
> place.
>
> --Steve

   - Enter fresh comments below the quoted text to which they relate, interspersing them within the quoted text if it helps to improve clarity.

Alan

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts (Re: Copy a month's budget)

Colin Law
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 21:15, aeg via gnucash-user
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my suggestion is as follows...
>    - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.

Tricky for those that do not want (or cannot) use html formatting.
Also most mail clients use one of the common techniques for
identifying quoted text.

>    - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated.

Certainly. I notice that you have not done this yourself.

>    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).

Not usually necessary.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts

GnuCash - User mailing list

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 21:15, aeg via gnucash-user<[hidden email]> wrote:>> It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my suggestion is as follows...>    - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.
Tricky for those that do not want (or cannot) use html formatting.Also most mail clients use one of the common techniques foridentifying quoted text.

This is a pity because I find many of the GnuCash posts very difficult to follow as they are usually formatted. What about indenting? Is that available to all?

>    - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated.
Certainly. I notice that you have not done this yourself.

I thought all of the text I quoted (left in) was related to my post; I had certainly deleted a substantial amount of text from the original posts that was not related to formatting. However, when I wrote that, I was really thinking of the very lengthy posts that contain several re-quoted passages from a long thread.

>    ...>    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).

Not usually necessary.
Colin

Agreed, but note that I did add "if required" because there have been occasions where an initial comment has been helpful.
Alan

Liz

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts (Re: Copy a month's budget)

Liz
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 21:11:35 +0000 (UTC)
aeg via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my
> suggestion is as follows...
>    - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.
>    - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or
> duplicated.
>    - Compose all fresh comments with normal text.
>    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).

Some of us do not use html editors for email, so your suggestion that I
italicise all quoted text is a non-starter.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts

Unfortunately,  gmail seems to force me into top posting by opening up my
reply with the previous text at the bottom an d hidden below three dots.

Especially on a tablet, where it is difficult to do anything more
sophisticated than touchong a virtual keyboard with my thumb hoping I won't
need punctuation beyond a comma or period,  I have completely given up
doing anything different.

Yes, long threads do get incredibly confusing.

David C

Liz

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts

Liz
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 21:32:13 -0600
David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately,  gmail seems to force me into top posting by opening
> up my reply with the previous text at the bottom an d hidden below
> three dots.

Overall, the ways people reply are enforced by their tools, where very
few can be fully configured in the hands of the user.

Trying to get users of this mailing list to write in a particular way
reminds me of herding cats. If this is unfamiliar, check the Urban
Dictionary.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=herding%20cats

Liz

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019, 03:32 David Carlson <[hidden email] wrote:

> Unfortunately,  gmail seems to force me into top posting by opening up my
> reply with the previous text at the bottom an d hidden below three dots.

It doesn't help, I agree, particularly with deleting sections of the post.
It is easy enough to insert at the appropriate point, however, as I have
done here.  You just have to click the dots then scroll down and insert.

Colin

> Especially on a tablet, where it is difficult to do anything more
> sophisticated than touchong a virtual keyboard with my thumb hoping I won't
> need punctuation beyond a comma or period,  I have completely given up
> doing anything different.
>
> Yes, long threads do get incredibly confusing.
>
> David C
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2019, 4:30 PM aeg via gnucash-user <
> [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 21:15, aeg via gnucash-user<
>> [hidden email]> wrote:>> It's good to see that the formatting
>> issue is being addressed and my suggestion is as follows...>    - Italicise
>> all quoted text from previous contributors.
>> Tricky for those that do not want (or cannot) use html formatting.Also
>> most mail clients use one of the common techniques foridentifying quoted
>> text.
>>
>> This is a pity because I find many of the GnuCash posts very difficult to
>> follow as they are usually formatted. What about indenting? Is that
>> available to all?
>>

>> >    - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated.
>> Certainly. I notice that you have not done this yourself.
>>
>> I thought all of the text I quoted (left in) was related to my post; I
>> had certainly deleted a substantial amount of text from the original posts
>> that was not related to formatting. However, when I wrote that, I was
>> really thinking of the very lengthy posts that contain several re-quoted
>> passages from a long thread.
>>
>> >    ...>    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if
>> required).
>>
>> Not usually necessary.
>> Colin
>>
>> Agreed, but note that I did add "if required" because there have been
>> occasions where an initial comment has been helpful.
>> Alan

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts (Re: Copy a month's budget)

fred smith
On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 12:59:54PM +1100, Liz wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 21:11:35 +0000 (UTC)
> aeg via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my
> > suggestion is as follows...
> >    - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.
> >    - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or
> > duplicated.
> >    - Compose all fresh comments with normal text.
> >    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).
>
> Some of us do not use html editors for email, so your suggestion that I
> italicise all quoted text is a non-starter.
>
> Liz

Besides, when God invented email, He intended it to be plain text! :)
(III Hezekiah, 9:32)

--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                         While we were still sinners,

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts (Re: Copy a month's budget)

Roger Miskowicz
Quote from someone in the group: "Almost 40 years
later doing a Masters I learnt that things had changed in the meantime,
and what was unchangeable was now fluid, but my peer professionals are
often stuck back in the disproven teachings of last century."  😌

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 8:50 AM Fred Smith <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 12:59:54PM +1100, Liz wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 21:11:35 +0000 (UTC)
> > aeg via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my
> > > suggestion is as follows...
> > >    - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.
> > >    - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or
> > > duplicated.
> > >    - Compose all fresh comments with normal text.
> > >    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).
> >
> > Some of us do not use html editors for email, so your suggestion that I
> > italicise all quoted text is a non-starter.
> >
> > Liz
>
> Besides, when God invented email, He intended it to be plain text! :)
> (III Hezekiah, 9:32)
>
> --
> ---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email]

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts (Re: Copy a month's budget)

> On Jan 12, 2019, at 3:11 PM, aeg via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my suggestion is as follows...
>   - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.

In addition to the other replies noting that the italics suggestion might involve others having to compose in HTML, note that: how received e-mail is displayed is up to you, the receiver as well.

Most mail clients allow you to specify a font, variant, size, and even color for all text, particularly that which is quoted from previous messages.

I happen to be using an html capable client, but choose to receive all mail as plain text, and everything is in a font and size of my choosing. My client (Mail.app 12.2) then color codes the nested quoted material with indentions and a helpful bar on the left side to tie each reply together. (looks like a series of “|” pipe characters with no breaks for new lines) If I recall, Thunderbird works in a similar fashion and also allows for threaded view which offers a tree-style listing of replies so you can see which message is being replied to, even if it hasn’t been quoted. I think by default most no-frills plain text mail clients will use repeated “>” signs to indicate quoted material. But as I mentioned, all of that is on the receiver, not the sender. I could send in html and italicize all my quoted replies, and you could set the result to plain text and not see the italics.

>   - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated.

Optimum for sure, but I know I’m guilty of firing off a reply to a long thread too fast and don’t bother. I should be more careful.

>   - Compose all fresh comments with normal text.

I’m pretty sure this is the default for nearly every mail client, and most people don’t change from the default. People who compose in HTML however, might very well intentionally use many variants, weights, sizes, even colors and fonts etc.

>   - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).

Really only needed for inline posting. (which is probably the best method for detailed discussions) Bottom posting would make the reply quite disjointed and with top posting, everything is above the reply anyway.

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts

How ironic (or purposeful?) this latest reply has ‘unquoted’ parts of the previous reply. Now your message and parts of the one you were replying to look as if they are all part of the same message making this a difficult read. If you are using a mail client that indicates quoted material (as most do by default) you’ll see below that it appears there are only 2 levels, but there are in fact 3 if you’ve been following the thread. (my current reply is a 4th level)

When following your 3rd suggestion to "Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated” one has to be careful not to remove your own mail client’s markers that denote the remaining text as being a quote or else the below will result:

> On Jan 12, 2019, at 4:27 PM, aeg via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 21:15, aeg via gnucash-user<[hidden email]> wrote:>> It's good to see that the formatting issue is being addressed and my suggestion is as follows...>    - Italicise all quoted text from previous contributors.
> Tricky for those that do not want (or cannot) use html formatting.Also most mail clients use one of the common techniques foridentifying quoted text.
>
> This is a pity because I find many of the GnuCash posts very difficult to follow as they are usually formatted. What about indenting? Is that available to all?
>

>>     - Delete any previously posted text that is irrelevant or duplicated.
> Certainly. I notice that you have not done this yourself.
>
> I thought all of the text I quoted (left in) was related to my post; I had certainly deleted a substantial amount of text from the original posts that was not related to formatting. However, when I wrote that, I was really thinking of the very lengthy posts that contain several re-quoted passages from a long thread.
>
>>     ...>    - Start with an introductory comment at the top (if required).
>
> Not usually necessary.
> Colin
>
> Agreed, but note that I did add "if required" because there have been occasions where an initial comment has been helpful.
> Alan

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts

Stan Brown

>Overall, the ways people reply are enforced by their tools, where very
>few can be fully configured in the hands of the user.

That's literally true, because of that adjective "fully", but it's false
in substance, because _everyone_ has the option to (gasp!) move the
cursor before starting typing, and to delete the quoted parts that are
not relevant to the reply.

The real issue, I'm sorry top say, is that many people are lazy, and
just start typing wherever their mailer puts the cursor. I don't know
any way to get them to put the convenience of many readers above the
convenience of one writer.

> Trying to get users of this mailing list to write in a particular way
> reminds me of herding cats.

This I agree with, 100%. And not just this mailing list -- every mailing
list, and every Usenet newsgroup.

I have an opinion about top- versus bottom-posting, but I won't bother
to express it here because people are going to continue doing what they
do, no matter what anyone says.

I do have one constructive suggestion: let's all allow this topic to
die, because any minds that could be changed have been changed already.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts

Geert Janssens-4
Op zondag 13 januari 2019 21:30:54 CET schreef Stan Brown:
> The real issue, I'm sorry top say, is that many people are lazy, and
> just start typing wherever their mailer puts the cursor.

I won't even bother to comment on top vs bottom posting. But I will point out
this is only your assumption. You can't possibly know the reasons why people
reply to mails the way they do. Making such an assertion usually doesn't have
the effect one would hope indeed...

Re: [GNC] Formatting reply posts

David Carlson-4
Certainly you know how difficult it is to select text on a smartphone.

David C