[GNC] Forcing a single payment to split across invoices with the older one not being paid in full

[GNC] Forcing a single payment to split across invoices with the older one not being paid in full

Adrien Monteleone-2
I have a customer that has several invoices open. The oldest one is rather large so they are paying in installments. But when they pay these installments they are also paying newer smaller invoices.

But when I enter a payment GnuCash won’t let me split the payment between the two. It forces the entire payment to the older invoice. (yes, I selected both in the Process Payment window) This leaves the newer smaller invoice as ‘unpaid’ and the older invoice as having more payment applied to it than should be.

I can’t fix this in lots (as far as I can tell) since there is only the one split.

If I try to adjust the payment transaction (from my cash account - not A/R), that is, I’ve tried changing the amount posted to A/R to reflect the larger payment on the older invoice, and then manually add a split to cover the new invoice, and then ‘Edit Payment’ but GnuCash complains that one of the splits is in a business account that isn’t a business transaction and tells me it’s going to be ignored.

So what I have is something like this:

Dr. Cash $500
Cr. A/R $500

But what I need is this:

Dr. Cash $500
Cr. A/R $450
Cr. A/R $ 50

If the older invoice was being paid in full, this would work just fine, but there is still a balance. GnuCash won’t let me split this payment and retain everything in a single transaction. I suppose I could create two separate payment transactions, but then this breaks up the actual customer payment amount and makes it look like two payments instead of one.

Any ideas?

Re: [GNC] Forcing a single payment to split across invoices with the older one not being paid in full

Christian Kluge
Hi,

Am 06.08.2018 um 22:05 schrieb Adrien Monteleone:

> I have a customer that has several invoices open. The oldest one is rather large so they are paying in installments. But when they pay these installments they are also paying newer smaller invoices.
>
> But when I enter a payment GnuCash won’t let me split the payment between the two. It forces the entire payment to the older invoice. (yes, I selected both in the Process Payment window) This leaves the newer smaller invoice as ‘unpaid’ and the older invoice as having more payment applied to it than should be.
>
> I can’t fix this in lots (as far as I can tell) since there is only the one split.
>
> If I try to adjust the payment transaction (from my cash account - not A/R), that is, I’ve tried changing the amount posted to A/R to reflect the larger payment on the older invoice, and then manually add a split to cover the new invoice, and then ‘Edit Payment’ but GnuCash complains that one of the splits is in a business account that isn’t a business transaction and tells me it’s going to be ignored.
>
> So what I have is something like this:
>
> Dr. Cash $500
> Cr. A/R $500
>
> But what I need is this:
>
> Dr. Cash $500
> Cr. A/R $450
> Cr. A/R $ 50
>
> If the older invoice was being paid in full, this would work just fine, but there is still a balance. GnuCash won’t let me split this payment and retain everything in a single transaction. I suppose I could create two separate payment transactions, but then this breaks up the actual customer payment amount and makes it look like two payments instead of one.
>
> Any ideas?

My suggestion would be to create a temporary clearing account to which
all total payments are posted before they’re split to the appropriate
invoices, if there’s no solution with the business module.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

Op maandag 6 augustus 2018 22:05:06 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> I have a customer that has several invoices open. The oldest one is rather
> large so they are paying in installments. But when they pay these
> installments they are also paying newer smaller invoices.
>
> But when I enter a payment GnuCash won’t let me split the payment between
> the two. It forces the entire payment to the older invoice. (yes, I
> selected both in the Process Payment window) This leaves the newer smaller
> invoice as ‘unpaid’ and the older invoice as having more payment applied to
> it than should be.
>
> I can’t fix this in lots (as far as I can tell) since there is only the one
> split.
>
> If I try to adjust the payment transaction (from my cash account - not A/R),
> that is, I’ve tried changing the amount posted to A/R to reflect the larger
> payment on the older invoice, and then manually add a split to cover the
> new invoice, and then ‘Edit Payment’ but GnuCash complains that one of the
> splits is in a business account that isn’t a business transaction and tells
> me it’s going to be ignored.
>
> So what I have is something like this:
>
> Dr. Cash $500
> Cr. A/R $500
>
> But what I need is this:
>
> Dr. Cash $500
> Cr. A/R $450
> Cr. A/R $ 50
>
> If the older invoice was being paid in full, this would work just fine, but
> there is still a balance. GnuCash won’t let me split this payment and
> retain everything in a single transaction. I suppose I could create two
> separate payment transactions, but then this breaks up the actual customer
> payment amount and makes it look like two payments instead of one.
>
> Any ideas?

A use case that wasn't fully taken into account when redesigning the payment
window (although it did cross my mind at later times).

What you can try is
- create a payment (via Process Payment)
- select only the smaller, more recent invoice
- adjust the payment amount to the full amount you received from your customer
- click ok

Assuming you don't have automatic payment forwarding enabled (see my reply on
credit notes), this will create a prepayment for the difference between the
client's payment and the invoice you assigned.

- Now reopen process payment and select the older, large invoice and the
prepayment.
- Set the remaining amount to pay to 0
- click ok

I *think* that should give you the assignments as you want.

Re: [GNC] Forcing a single payment to split across invoices with the older one not being paid in full

Adrien Monteleone-2
Success!

Thank you very much.

That was significantly less painful than I imagined.

If the payment window gets updated to handle this all the better, but I can certainly live with this.

Also, thanks again for the ‘disabling automatic payments’ point, I think that’s been my major source of frustration when unposting invoices/bills that I need to edit and re-post. I certainly don’t mind manually re-applying payments if that saves me the trouble of working with the Lots window to fix a mess.

> On Aug 6, 2018, at 3:38 PM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op maandag 6 augustus 2018 22:05:06 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
>> I have a customer that has several invoices open. The oldest one is rather
>> large so they are paying in installments. But when they pay these
>> installments they are also paying newer smaller invoices.
>>
>> But when I enter a payment GnuCash won’t let me split the payment between
>> the two. It forces the entire payment to the older invoice. (yes, I
>> selected both in the Process Payment window) This leaves the newer smaller
>> invoice as ‘unpaid’ and the older invoice as having more payment applied to
>> it than should be.
>>
>> I can’t fix this in lots (as far as I can tell) since there is only the one
>> split.
>>
>> If I try to adjust the payment transaction (from my cash account - not A/R),
>> that is, I’ve tried changing the amount posted to A/R to reflect the larger
>> payment on the older invoice, and then manually add a split to cover the
>> new invoice, and then ‘Edit Payment’ but GnuCash complains that one of the
>> splits is in a business account that isn’t a business transaction and tells
>> me it’s going to be ignored.
>>
>> So what I have is something like this:
>>
>> Dr. Cash $500
>> Cr. A/R $500
>>
>> But what I need is this:
>>
>> Dr. Cash $500
>> Cr. A/R $450
>> Cr. A/R $ 50
>>
>> If the older invoice was being paid in full, this would work just fine, but
>> there is still a balance. GnuCash won’t let me split this payment and
>> retain everything in a single transaction. I suppose I could create two
>> separate payment transactions, but then this breaks up the actual customer
>> payment amount and makes it look like two payments instead of one.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> A use case that wasn't fully taken into account when redesigning the payment
> window (although it did cross my mind at later times).
>
> What you can try is
> - create a payment (via Process Payment)
> - select only the smaller, more recent invoice
> - adjust the payment amount to the full amount you received from your customer
> - click ok
>
> Assuming you don't have automatic payment forwarding enabled (see my reply on
> credit notes), this will create a prepayment for the difference between the
> client's payment and the invoice you assigned.
>
> - Now reopen process payment and select the older, large invoice and the
> prepayment.
> - Set the remaining amount to pay to 0
> - click ok
>
> I *think* that should give you the assignments as you want.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] Forcing a single payment to split across invoices with the older one not being paid in full

Geert Janssens-4
Op maandag 6 augustus 2018 23:01:16 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:

> Success!
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> That was significantly less painful than I imagined.
>
> If the payment window gets updated to handle this all the better, but I can
> certainly live with this.
>
> Also, thanks again for the ‘disabling automatic payments’ point, I think
> that’s been my major source of frustration when unposting invoices/bills
> that I need to edit and re-post. I certainly don’t mind manually
> re-applying payments if that saves me the trouble of working with the Lots
> window to fix a mess.

You're welcome.

The lots viewer is a low level interface into the internals of payment
handling. I agree it should be the last tool to reach for. And I believe most
situations can be modeled directly via the process payment window these days,
although sometimes in two or more steps.

Just for completeness I'll mention that aside from the business functions lots
are also used for capital gains processing (stock related). But that's not my
area, so I don't know if it can be avoided in that context or not.