[GNC] Features

Kevin Kelly
I’ve used Mondeydance for a long time. Unfortunately, updates to Mac OS have impacted mouse actions and it is difficult now to navigate. I have no complaints, it is free and I’ve gotten good use. Now, I need a replacement and I’m considering GNUCASH. Can it:

1. Import transactions from banking accounts using QFX?
2. Does it allow for backup/recovery?
3. Can I import data from Moneydance or do I start all over?
4. Does it have some sort of budget?

If I have to start over, it is no big deal but I do need to be able to import using a downloaded transaction file.

Thanks for any help,

Kevin

Re: [GNC] Features

Adrien Monteleone-2
Welcome to GnuCash!

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 1:27 PM, Kevin Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve used Mondeydance for a long time. Unfortunately, updates to Mac OS have impacted mouse actions and it is difficult now to navigate. I have no complaints, it is free and I’ve gotten good use. Now, I need a replacement and I’m considering GNUCASH. Can it:
>
> 1. Import transactions from banking accounts using QFX?

I don’t use this facility, but based on my recollections of other threads here, no.

QFX if I understand correctly is a proprietary variety of OFX, which GnuCash *can* import. Do a list search for QFX specific questions or work arounds. Since most apps or services can also export CSV, it is recommended to use that instead. Otherwise, I seem to recall that you might be able to manually tweak/edit the QFX file to make it conform to OFX standards and then import, but don’t quote me on that. Perhaps someone more familiar with this will chime in for you.

> 2. Does it allow for backup/recovery?

That is a file manager function of your operating system. (If you’re using MacOS, you have Time Machine built-in, but you can always use other solutions, including copy and pasting the data file to any other location of your choosing on a schedule you prefer)

There is some ‘recovery’ functionality of ‘replaying’ log files but this is an off-case. You’re more likely to simply copy over a backup file and proceed from there.

> 3. Can I import data from Moneydance or do I start all over?

Can Moneydance export CSV? Then yes. Again, do a list search on ‘Moneydance’. I recall seeing it discussed somewhat over the past few years.

> 4. Does it have some sort of budget?

Somewhat. I’ve used it a bit. It is rather limited, not very kind to repetitive entry (no copy/paste ability of entire periods) but it does the job, can even estimate a budget based on past transactions, and reporting is fairly configurable.

It is not designed for the ‘envelope’ method though if that is what you are looking for. (there are some round-about methods of using GnuCash in that fashion, but it is generally advised otherwise to use a 3rd party budgeting tool and just enter the actual transactions in Gnucash)

I do find that using it in conjunction with the Transaction Report comparing periods is very instructive and helpful to see if I am making progress in my spending goals, or beating my head against a wall.

> If I have to start over, it is no big deal but I do need to be able to import using a downloaded transaction file.

I would start with an empty file, creating your desired accounts and start entering fresh data. (you can estimate your starting balances to get going) Then once you are comfortable after a few weeks/months, then import your historical data from Moneydance. (you’ll need to edit/delete those starting balance transactions as they will be now made up of those historical transactions)

Re: [GNC] Features

1. Import transactions from banking accounts using QFX?

Yes QFX is a proprietary form of OFX and GnuCash can import it.
2. Does it allow for backup/recovery?

This depends on whether you use the XMLtext file file format or one of the
database backends. For the XML format, it creates a backup each time you
open the file in the same folder the file is in. It also creates a log file
which can be imported for each session. If you have a file problem you can
open a previous backup that was working correctly then import the log files
up to the point where it fails. A full backup strategy with offsite storage
is the users responsibility. Some of us store our files on cloud servers
where one arm of the backup strategy is the server backups.

For the database backends you need to implement a database backup strategy

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-backup1.html
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

3. Can I import data from Moneydance or do I start all over?

That will depnd on what formats moneydance can export. GnuCash has OFX/QFX
,QIF and CSV import facilities. I believe Moneydance can export QIF files
and /or CSV ( comma or tab delimited).

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/import-qif.html

4. Does it have some sort of budget?

Yes it has a budgeting system. I don't use it at the moment . Someone else
may be able to comment further.

https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_budgets.html
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Budget_Requirements

Re: [GNC] Features

David Carlson-4

I migrated from Moneydance several years ago, then it was easy to use the
QIF format.

I think there were some rough edges, possibly involving stocks, so I
recommend testing first.

Good luck.

Re: [GNC] Features

Stephen M. Butler
On 1/16/19 11:27 AM, Kevin Kelly wrote:
> I’ve used Mondeydance for a long time. Unfortunately, updates to Mac OS have impacted mouse actions and it is difficult now to navigate. I have no complaints, it is free and I’ve gotten good use. Now, I need a replacement and I’m considering GNUCASH. Can it:
>
> 1. Import transactions from banking accounts using QFX?
Yes.  I use that feature for both my bank and credit card transactions.
> 2. Does it allow for backup/recovery?
Yes.  But you need to ensure that you have a system-wide backup/recovery
strategy in place.  It will write the pre-changed file as a backup
before overwriting it with the changed data.  But, you need to get it
off the system to a safe place in case you lose your hard drive (or house).
> 3. Can I import data from Moneydance or do I start all over?
Google search indicates that Moneydance can do a QIF export.  GnuCash
(GnC or GC) can import from QIF or QFX or CSV type files.
> 4. Does it have some sort of budget?
Yes.  But I don't use.

> If I have to start over, it is no big deal but I do need to be able to import using a downloaded transaction file.
>

> Thanks for any help,
>
> Kevin

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166