[GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

[GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Ron-3
Liz sent me a message but I do not know how to do a Reply.

Windows version. Quicken - latest Online subscription - that is why I want
out. Gnucash just downloaded 3.8.

I read that it might be better to import small files so I exported one
account (category) and it still failed. Log was not helpful.

Ron

Re: [GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Adrien Monteleone-2
Just hit Reply-all or Reply-list. If you use the first one, you might remove all but the list address, but that is optional. (It seems you managed this just fine anyway)

As for the issue at hand, sorry I can’t help, but I’m sure others can.

> On Feb 14, 2020 w7d45, at 2:35 PM, Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Liz sent me a message but I do not know how to do a Reply.
>
> Windows version. Quicken - latest Online subscription - that is why I want
> out. Gnucash just downloaded 3.8.
>
> I read that it might be better to import small files so I exported one
> account (category) and it still failed. Log was not helpful.
>

> Ron

Re: [GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Ron,

In your email client there is usually an option for 'Reply to List" or
"Group Reply" or something similar otherwise if the meassage was from Liz's
private email address just add "[hidden email]" usually separated
by a comma from her email address or include it in the CC field of the
email.  The Nabble interface is a reply to the list.

You might find the tracefile https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile gives
you more information about what is happenening in the import. The log file
in your data directory is only a record of the operations GnuCash has
performed and really doesn't contain much debugging information.  If you can
attach a copy of the tracefile to your post

If you can descibe what steps of the import process were completed before
the import failed we will have a better chance of working out what happened.

Importing QIF files and the steps in the process is covered in this section
of the Help manual
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-help/trans-import.html.

Re: [GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

It would be a help to know at what point it failed.  Were you able to
choose an account to import into?  Could you see the accounts GnuCash was
proposing in the next step?

David Carlson

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, 2:37 PM Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Liz sent me a message but I do not know how to do a Reply.
>
> Windows version. Quicken - latest Online subscription - that is why I want
> out. Gnucash just downloaded 3.8.
>
> I read that it might be better to import small files so I exported one
> account (category) and it still failed. Log was not helpful.
>

> Ron

[GNC] Fwd: Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

David Carlson-4
Sorry, list, I used reply all and overlooked that you were not included

David Carlson

[GNC] Fwd: Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Missed agsin

[GNC] Fwd: Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

And another

[GNC] Fwd: Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Another

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, 6:30 PM Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes I am getting replies since I am responding to you. However, I did get
> a response from Liz in the Archive, but there is no Reply option there.
>

> Ron

That mail from Liz was probably something like welcome to the list, which
would not need a reply.

Now you should reply to all or to list as recommended in several previous
messages .

David Carlson

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, 6:18 PM Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am obviously in the wrong place. I am on a desktop, Win 10.
>
> I have been going to gnucash.org, then Mailing lists. I did subscribe and
> was accepted.
>
> I went to gnucash-user archives, picked February, went to the bottom of
> the list (by date) and found my message and a response. No Reply ability on
> that page. So obviously I took a wrong turn, but no clue where!
>

> Depending on the option you chose when you registered,  you should be
> getting replies in your inbox at comcast.net either individually or in
> some aggregation.
>

> David Carlson
>

> Ron

Re: [GNC] Fwd: Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Reply to [hidden email]. *last warning*

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, 6:42 PM Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I like Reply All better then no reply...
>
> Ron

Santhosh Paul
Hi Ron,

        One thing you could try for troubleshooting purposes is to restrict
the import to a narrow date range (say, a day) to reduce the number of
transactions.

           Recently, I was struggling with QIF import failure from Gnucash
Android. I was presented with a date format selection, and after I selected
what I thought was the right format, the import suddenly quit without any
warning or message.

        After reading up on the import process, I opened the QIF file with
a text editor. I found the date format used was different from the one I'd
assumed.

           Since then, the sun has been shining and the birds have been
singing.

       Good luck to you on solving your problem. I have Gnucash 2.6.6
running on Windows 10.

Santhosh

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020, 2:06 AM Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Liz sent me a message but I do not know how to do a Reply.
>
> Windows version. Quicken - latest Online subscription - that is why I want
> out. Gnucash just downloaded 3.8.
>
> I read that it might be better to import small files so I exported one
> account (category) and it still failed. Log was not helpful.
>

> Ron

Re: [GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Tom Hatzigeorgiou
I have seen  few emails on this subject.

Please see if the below statements would help you.

I've been having a problem with importing my data from Quicken and into GNUCASH for Windows using a QIF file created by Quicken. I’ve over 30 years of data with thousands of transactions spanning multiple accounts and categories.

I have found that there is an issue with the importer starting with version 3.2 (I think).

As mentioned  by others, the importer would fail without giving an error.

I have solved the issue by installing GNUCASH 3.1 importing my data and then installing the latest version (currently 3.8). Of course this assumes that you will be able to find the 3.1 install file. I hope you can find it in one of the archives.

I don’t see any problem with my data after I open the file (in GNU 3.8) created by the GNUCASH 3.1.

I was wondering if the developers could replace the importer (of the latest version) with the version that existed in the 3.1 version (until the import issue is fixed). I believe it would solved a lot of problems for a lot of people.

I have another issue getting security prices and bank transaction. I have read a lot of solutions but none has help me. When I find a simple solution to this problem I will post here.

Re: [GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Christopher Lam
Hello
If you'll be kind to offer the QIF file in bugzilla or privately -- feel
free to amend it manually first to anonymize details, it will be useful to
debug.