[GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

123

[GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis
Hi,

I've done some work in 3.5 and I'm considering downgrading to 2.6.21.

Can 2.6.21 work with the xml .gnucash file once it was changed and saved by
3.5?

Kind regards,

Greg

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Fross, Michael
If you don't mind my asking, why are you downgrading?  What have you found
that you prefer in 2.6.21?

Michael

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done some work in 3.5 and I'm considering downgrading to 2.6.21.
>
> Can 2.6.21 work with the xml .gnucash file once it was changed and saved by
> 3.5?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Greg

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis
There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location that I
have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has a
problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously saved by
3.5.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you don't mind my asking, why are you downgrading?  What have you found
> that you prefer in 2.6.21?
>
> Michael
>
> On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've done some work in 3.5 and I'm considering downgrading to 2.6.21.
>>
>> Can 2.6.21 work with the xml .gnucash file once it was changed and saved
>> by
>> 3.5?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Greg

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

John Ralls-2
That's interesting. What is the path that's causing trouble with 3.5, and please remind me what OS you're using.

> On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location that I
> have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has a
> problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
> thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
> with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
> 2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously saved by
> 3.5.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
>

> On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you don't mind my asking, why are you downgrading?  What have you found
>> that you prefer in 2.6.21?
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 1:26 PM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've done some work in 3.5 and I'm considering downgrading to 2.6.21.
>>>
>>> Can 2.6.21 work with the xml .gnucash file once it was changed and saved
>>> by
>>> 3.5?
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>>
>>> Greg
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

David Carlson-4
Greg, Release 2.6.21 is supposed to be able to read data files that have
been processed by releases in the 3.x series, The developers do want know
about your issue with 3.5.

David Carlson.

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 12:18 AM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's interesting. What is the path that's causing trouble with 3.5, and
> please remind me what OS you're using.

> > On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location
> that I
> > have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has a
> > problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
> > thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
> > with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
> > 2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously saved
> by
> > 3.5.
> >

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't mind my asking, why are you downgrading?  What have you
> found
> >> that you prefer in 2.6.21?
> >>
> >> Michael

> saved

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis
Hi John,

The path length issue was with 3.5 on Win 7-64.  Previously used 2.6.x to
save to the same location without trouble.

The path that 3.5 failed to write to is:

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
Files\(VerboseFileNameProbably30chars.gnucash)

The last successful saves to this directory was by GnuCash 2.6.21, and was:

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash.20190401075914.log  (4/1/2019
8:01AM)

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash
(4/1/2019 7:59AM)

Since I suspected it was a path length issue, I tried saving the file name
test.gnucash in the same location, but got the same error.  So I went one
folder back and tried to save again and it failed the same way.  I kept
shortening the path folder by folder like this until it did save, which was
as follows:

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash

Next, I copied the original folders so I could make a test path exactly
like the path that causes the error, but with no ampersand, and I still get
the the same problem.

C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C and D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\         fails
just like   C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\

A screen shot of the error
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd8rlgj1kvv0ysn/2019-04-05_18-37-52.png?dl=0

Next, I copied the original folder so I could make a test path exactly like
the path that causes the error, but with no spaces in the folder names and
no ampersand, and I still get the same problem.  *However*, this time, when
gnucash tried to display the path in the error message, it got some of it
right.

A screen shot of that is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3p0agpdlkmzia4/2019-04-05_18-52-26.png?dl=0

Kind regards,

Greg

On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 10:14 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's interesting. What is the path that's causing trouble with 3.5, and
> please remind me what OS you're using.

> > On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location
> that I
> > have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has a
> > problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
> > thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
> > with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
> > 2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously saved
> by
> > 3.5.
> >

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't mind my asking, why are you downgrading?  What have you
> found
> >> that you prefer in 2.6.21?
> >>
> >> Michael

> saved

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

foxylady337
> On 7 Apr 2019, at 16:32, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> The path length issue was with 3.5 on Win 7-64.  Previously used 2.6.x to
> save to the same location without trouble.
>
> The path that 3.5 failed to write to is:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\(VerboseFileNameProbably30chars.gnucash)
>

> The last successful saves to this directory was by GnuCash 2.6.21, and was:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash.20190401075914.log  (4/1/2019
> 8:01AM)
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash
> (4/1/2019 7:59AM)
>

> Since I suspected it was a path length issue, I tried saving the file name
> test.gnucash in the same location, but got the same error.  So I went one
> folder back and tried to save again and it failed the same way.  I kept
> shortening the path folder by folder like this until it did save, which was
> as follows:
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash
>

> Next, I copied the original folders so I could make a test path exactly
> like the path that causes the error, but with no ampersand, and I still get
> the the same problem.
>
> C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C and D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\         fails
> just like   C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\
>

> A screen shot of the error
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd8rlgj1kvv0ysn/2019-04-05_18-37-52.png?dl=0
>

> Next, I copied the original folder so I could make a test path exactly like
> the path that causes the error, but with no spaces in the folder names and
> no ampersand, and I still get the same problem.  *However*, this time, when
> gnucash tried to display the path in the error message, it got some of it
> right.
>
> A screen shot of that is here:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3p0agpdlkmzia4/2019-04-05_18-52-26.png?dl=0

These Dropbox links give 404 errors - “That file isn’t here any more”.

> Kind regards,
>
> Greg

Just a thought - could there be a clash of character sets between what Windows expects and what Gnucash delivers?

Or a “\” vs “/“ clash?

Michael

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis
Sorry about the links, I posted this path length issues previously and so
today I copied from that email and thought the screenshot links would still
work.  Apparently dropbox expired them.

I don't know about the /  VS \.

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 8:58 AM Michael Hendry <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > On 7 Apr 2019, at 16:32, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > The path length issue was with 3.5 on Win 7-64.  Previously used 2.6.x to
> > save to the same location without trouble.
> >
> > The path that 3.5 failed to write to is:
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> > Files\(VerboseFileNameProbably30chars.gnucash)
> >

> > The last successful saves to this directory was by GnuCash 2.6.21, and
> was:
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> > Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash.20190401075914.log  (4/1/2019
> > 8:01AM)
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> > Files\AfterImporting2018ThroughQ4.gnucash
> > (4/1/2019 7:59AM)
> >

> > Since I suspected it was a path length issue, I tried saving the file
> name
> > test.gnucash in the same location, but got the same error.  So I went one
> > folder back and tried to save again and it failed the same way.  I kept
> > shortening the path folder by folder like this until it did save, which
> was
> > as follows:
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\test.gnucash
> >

> > Next, I copied the original folders so I could make a test path exactly
> > like the path that causes the error, but with no ampersand, and I still
> get
> > the the same problem.
> >
> > C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C and D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\         fails
> > just like   C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\
> >

> > A screen shot of the error
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd8rlgj1kvv0ysn/2019-04-05_18-37-52.png?dl=0
> >

> > Next, I copied the original folder so I could make a test path exactly
> like
> > the path that causes the error, but with no spaces in the folder names
> and
> > no ampersand, and I still get the same problem.  *However*, this time,
> when
> > gnucash tried to display the path in the error message, it got some of it
> > right.
> >
> > A screen shot of that is here:
> > https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3p0agpdlkmzia4/2019-04-05_18-52-26.png?dl=0
>
> These Dropbox links give 404 errors - “That file isn’t here any more”.
>

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Greg
>
> Just a thought - could there be a clash of character sets between what
> Windows expects and what Gnucash delivers?
>
> Or a “\” vs “/“ clash?
>
> Michael

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis
Some more testing on the issue where 3.5 seems to want a shorter path than
2.6.x did:

Just now, I exited Dropbox to see if that had something to do with it, but
pretty much the same error for all three path variations, what worked
historically with 2.6.x, no ampersand but some folder names used spaces,
and no ampersand + no spaces.  It seemed purely to do with length, but it
doesn't seem to be about total characters.

With Dropbox back on, here are some more tests:

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\test.gnucash   (52 chars) Success!

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\GnuCashFiles\test.gnucash  (65
chars) Failure!

So I shortened the name of the last folder from GnuCashFiles down to G and
still got the same problem
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\G\test.gnucash  (54 chars) Failure!

So I shortened the name of the previous folder from GnuCash down to GnuCa,
and it also failed even though it was 52 chars, the character count that
seemed to work previously.  Also the error message for this is slightly
different.
"You attempted to save in [gibberish]\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash or
a subdirectory thereof. This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that
directory for internal use....Please try again in a different directory.
(close)."  See screen shot here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa3gdy6c2w21x6u/2019-04-07_9-30-31.jpg?dl=0
This was the actual attempted path:

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCa\G\test.gnucash   (52 chars) Failure!
although same char count

More testing:

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\G\G\test.gnucash   (48 chars)  Failure!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCand\G\G\test.gnucash (47 chars) Failure!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCan\G\G\test.gnucash (46 chars) Success!

If I reduce the number of folders in the path, does the max character count
go up?

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\G\test.gnucash   (46 chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\Gnu\test.gnucash (48 chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\test.gnucash (52 chars) Success!
(confirming results from beginning of this email)
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCashTestLongerPath\test.gnucash (66
chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCashTestLongerPathAndEvenLongerPath\test.gnucash
(83 chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCashTestLongerPathAndEvenLongerPathAndEvenLongerPath\test.gnucash
(100
chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandDTestEvenLongerPathEvenLongerPathSuperLongPath\GnuCashTestLongerPathAndEvenLongerPathAndEvenLongerPath\test.gnucash
(145 chars) Success!

I'm not going to test to failure on this folder count, but it sure looks
like something about GnuCash 3.5 limits the path based on folder count and
path character count.  If I use a 5 folder path, max path character count
is 46.  If I used a 4 folder path, I've tested up to 145 characters.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Greg

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 8:32 AM Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> John Ralls
>>

>> > On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location
>> that I
>> > have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has a
>> > problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
>> > thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
>> > with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
>> > 2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously saved
>> by
>> > 3.5.
>> >

>> > Kind regards,
>> >
>> > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

>> found

>> saved

>> > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

GnuCash - User mailing list
I’m not sure how it works on Windows, but on my Mac, when I attempt to open certain files in my Dropbox folder (I am using the DropBox add-in that maps my DropBox to a folder in my system), I see a huge character string in the title bar, with a long repeating sequence of “../“

This doesn’t display in every application, just some. But it may be that what appears to you to be a short path name may in fact be much longer, due to hidden idiosyncrasies in DropBox.

David

> [...]
>> just like   C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\
>>

>> A screen shot of the error
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd8rlgj1kvv0ysn/2019-04-05_18-37-52.png?dl=0
>>

>> Next, I copied the original folder so I could make a test path exactly
>> like the path that causes the error, but with no spaces in the folder names
>> and no ampersand, and I still get the same problem.  *However*, this
>> time, when gnucash tried to display the path in the error message, it got
>> some of it right.
>>
>> A screen shot of that is here:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3p0agpdlkmzia4/2019-04-05_18-52-26.png?dl=0
>>

>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Greg
>>

>> On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 10:14 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> That's interesting. What is the path that's causing trouble with 3.5, and

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Just to completely rule out Dropbox being somehow involved, could you create the same hierarchy in your home directory, i.e. c:\Users\Greg\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\Gnucash Files\

I was able to successfully save
C:\Users\John Ralls\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Docs\DeTradingWithExtraNoiseAdded.gnucash
and its log file
C:\Users\John Ralls\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Docs\DeTradingWithExtraNoiseAdded.gnucash.20190407134124.log

> [...]
>

> > On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location that I
> > have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has a
> > problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
> > thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
> > with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
> > 2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously saved by
> > 3.5.
> >

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 7:09 PM Fross, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't mind my asking, why are you downgrading?  What have you found

John,

I misread your instructions and only attempted to save outside of the
Dropbox folder, but not in my ...\Users\Greg\... folder, so I tried this
path and file name:
C:\Xobpord\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\Official Working
File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash (117 chars, outside of
Dropbox, Failure!)
The error message reads:
"You attempted to save in H[gibberish]\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash
or a subdirectory thereof. This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that
directory for internal use....Please try again in a different directory.
(close).

Then I read your email again before starting a reply and realized you
spec'd the home directory, so I tried the following path and file name:
C:\Users\Greg\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\Official
Working File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash (128 chars, outside of
Dropbox, inside user folder, success!)

So, appears with 3.5 I can only have a generous path while saving within
the windows user folder?

Things are getting curiouser

Kind regards,
Greg

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 1:46 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location
> that I
> > > have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has
> > > problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
> > > thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
> > > with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
> > > 2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously
> saved by
> > > 3.5.
> > >

> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Greg Feneis <http://www.linkedin.com/in/electromechanical>

> found

> saved

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Jack Lockard
I found the following info on Dropbox and Windows 10:

The Dropbox app for Windows 10 allows you to access your files, but it doesn't allow you to sync them to your PC. For Dropbox syncing you'll need to install the desktop sync app first. If you have not installed the sync app then all that is stored locally is a link to the cloud storage URL which could be quite large. Perhaps that is where the issue lies.

David mentioned in another email that on his MAC the fully qualified path/filename was quite large with a bunch of repeating "../" in it.

Jack

> [...]

> > > www.linkedin.com%2Fin%2Felectromechanical&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb3
> > > 676aae59bd4533c26d08d6bbae694b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%
> > > 7C1%7C0%7C636902755094194358&amp;sdata=n36NxxifMk4%2BIzKNIUrZPnD1j
> > > Z3WT%2FKdyRg2Rwb9Xtk%3D&amp;reserved=0>

> found

> saved

> > > 7C01%7C%7Cb3676aae59bd4533c26d08d6bbae694b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435a
> > > aaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636902755094194358&amp;sdata=vb20RvKUag80K6w
> > > S%2BIwRDwRMVMKTLNXJGcVemEY96zo%3D&amp;reserved=0
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.gnucash.org%2Fwiki%2FMailing_Lists&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb3676aae59bd4533c26d08d6bbae694b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636902755094204363&amp;sdata=tGqabpTt6VAzvvYhFvu5Qv9polhKlCNZUi%2B8rT9oLLs%3D&amp;reserved=0 for more information.

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Indeed. I just tried C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Docs\DeTradingWithExtraNoiseAdded.gnucash. No problem.

What are your Language and Region settings? Have you set LANG and LANGUAGES in C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\etc\gnucash\environment? Is your userid an Administrator?

> [...]
> >

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Greg
> >

> > On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 10:14 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > That's interesting. What is the path that's causing trouble with 3.5, and please remind me what OS you're using.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >

> > > On Apr 6, 2019, at 10:04 PM, Greg Feneis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > There's a problem with 3.5 where it won't save to the usual location that I
> > > have saved the file to when I was using 2.6.x  For some reason 3.5 has a
> > > problem with path length.  I never had a problem with 2.6.21, I just
> > > thought I should keep up to the latest in case I wanted to ask for help
> > > with it.  But since it's going to give me trouble, I'll just go back to
> > > 2.6.21, so long as it will work with the file that was previously saved by

Hi, Jack,

In this case the issue is on Win 7-64 computer, and it appears I can only
have a generous path length if I save within the windows' user folder.
Otherwise I get an error message that claims I'm saving in a location where
I'm not and that the location is reserved.
Kind regards, Greg Feneis
(Galaxy S7)

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019, 16:16 Jack Lockard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found the following info on Dropbox and Windows 10:
>
> The Dropbox app for Windows 10 allows you to access your files, but it
> doesn't allow you to sync them to your PC. For Dropbox syncing you'll need
> to install the desktop sync app first. If you have not installed the sync
> app then all that is stored locally is a link to the cloud storage URL
> which could be quite large. Perhaps that is where the issue lies.
>
> David mentioned in another email that on his MAC the fully qualified
> path/filename was quite large with a bunch of repeating "../" in it.
>
> Jack

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Op maandag 8 april 2019 01:04:39 CEST schreef Greg Feneis:

> John,
>
> I misread your instructions and only attempted to save outside of the
> Dropbox folder, but not in my ...\Users\Greg\... folder, so I tried this
> path and file name:
> C:\Xobpord\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\Official Working
> File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash (117 chars, outside of
> Dropbox, Failure!)
> The error message reads:
> "You attempted to save in H[gibberish]\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash
> or a subdirectory thereof. This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that
> directory for internal use....Please try again in a different directory.
> (close).

It's suspicious the error message suggests you're saving in a subdirectory of
what gnucash understands as your GNC_DATA_HOME directory. So something odd is
going on here. And probably the "giggerish" in there is a clue.

> Then I read your email again before starting a reply and realized you
> spec'd the home directory, so I tried the following path and file name:
> C:\Users\Greg\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\Official
> Working File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash (128 chars, outside of
> Dropbox, inside user folder, success!)
>
> So, appears with 3.5 I can only have a generous path while saving within
> the windows user folder?

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis
Agreed

Kind regards, Greg Feneis
(Galaxy S7)

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019, 01:47 Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Op maandag 8 april 2019 01:04:39 CEST schreef Greg Feneis:
> > John,
> >
> > I misread your instructions and only attempted to save outside of the
> > Dropbox folder, but not in my ...\Users\Greg\... folder, so I tried this
> > path and file name:
> > C:\Xobpord\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\Official Working
> > File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash (117 chars, outside of
> > Dropbox, Failure!)
> > The error message reads:
> > "You attempted to save in H[gibberish]\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash
> > or a subdirectory thereof. This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that
> > directory for internal use....Please try again in a different directory.
> > (close).
> >
> It's suspicious the error message suggests you're saving in a subdirectory
> of
> what gnucash understands as your GNC_DATA_HOME directory. So something odd
> is
> going on here. And probably the "giggerish" in there is a clue.
>

> > Then I read your email again before starting a reply and realized you
> > spec'd the home directory, so I tried the following path and file name:
> > C:\Users\Greg\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash
> Files\Official
> > Working File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash (128 chars, outside
> of
> > Dropbox, inside user folder, success!)
> >
> > So, appears with 3.5 I can only have a generous path while saving within
> > the windows user folder?
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Jack Lockard
Windows 7 does not always show you the fully expanded path. There is a setting that must be made to force Win7 to give you it. I suspect that is why you are seeing some gibberish in the path. Here are the instructions to make the necessary settings to see the full path.

1.       Logon to Windows 7 computer with the account for which you want to configure the above mentioned settings.
2.       Open Windows Explorer and click on Organize menu.
3.       From the available list click on Folders and search options and on Folder Options box make sure that you are on General tab.
4.       Under Navigation pane section check both Show all folders and Automatically expand to current foldercheck boxes.
[https://www.pctips3000.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Show-Full-Path-for-Files-or-Folders.jpg]<http://www.pctips3000.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Show-Full-Path-for-Files-or-Folders.jpg>
Show Full Path for Files or Folders
5.       Once done, click on Ok button to save the changes that you have made.

This came from the following website: https://www.pctips3000.com/show-full-path-to-foldersfiles-in-windows-7/

Jack

Op maandag 8 april 2019 01:04:39 CEST schreef Greg Feneis:

> John,

> I misread your instructions and only attempted to save outside of the

> Dropbox folder, but not in my ...\Users\Greg\... folder, so I tried

> this path and file name:

> C:\Xobpord\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\Official

> Working File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash (117 chars,

> outside of Dropbox, Failure!) The error message reads:

> "You attempted to save in

> H[gibberish]\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash

> or a subdirectory thereof. This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves

> that directory for internal use....Please try again in a different directory.

> (close).

It's suspicious the error message suggests you're saving in a subdirectory of what gnucash understands as your GNC_DATA_HOME directory. So something odd is going on here. And probably the "giggerish" in there is a clue.

> Then I read your email again before starting a reply and realized you

> spec'd the home directory, so I tried the following path and file name:

> C:\Users\Greg\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash

> Files\Official Working File After Testing Path Lengh Issues.gnucash

> (128 chars, outside of Dropbox, inside user folder, success!)

> So, appears with 3.5 I can only have a generous path while saving

> within the windows user folder?

https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.gnucash.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fgnucash-user&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb2136c22a7f64474106e08d6bbfef6c1%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636903101064393610&amp;sdata=SUsSmpVMuMHXLVHkr2L%2B21REbOCa065aGcqUT42GMDQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.gnucash.org%2Fwiki%2FMailing_Lists&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb2136c22a7f64474106e08d6bbfef6c1%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636903101064393610&amp;sdata=uX1HUN3zUsFv4GcDecw76F3JO%2F2%2B5temtqQKSdii5S0%3D&amp;reserved=0 for more information.

image003.jpg (34K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis
Hi John,

Sorry I missed this yesterday.  The language is English (United States),
The Location is United States. The current language for non-Unicode
programs is English (United States)

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 4:33 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  fails just like   C:\Dropbox\My Docs\Thorough C & D\GnuCash\GnuCash Files\
> > >
> > > A screen shot of the error
> > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd8rlgj1kvv0ysn/2019-04-05_18-37-52.png?dl=0
> > >
> > > Next, I copied the original folder so I could make a test path exactly
> like the path that causes the error, but with no spaces in the folder names
> and no ampersand, and I still get the same problem.  However, this time,
> when gnucash tried to display the path in the error message, it got some of
> it right.
> > >
> > > A screen shot of that is here:
> > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3p0agpdlkmzia4/2019-04-05_18-52-26.png?dl=0
> > >

> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Greg
> > >

> > > On Sat, Apr 6, 2019 at 10:14 PM John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > That's interesting. What is the path that's causing trouble with 3.5,
> and please remind me what OS you're using.

Just a coupe of questions,

1.  Once the working file (xml) is saved by 3.5, does it remain backward
compatible with 2.6.21 in case I want to downgrade?

2.  Should I log this bug in bugzilla?

Kind regards,

Greg Feneis