[GNC] Dot Directories in Win10

GnuCash - User mailing list
Hello,

I am using Gnucash 3.5 on Windows 10 (installed on a new Windows machine
June 2019), and I notice a couple of dot directories placed in my user
folder (C:\Users\sunfish): .cache and .dbus-keyrings

The cache folder has a fontconfig folder with a couple of subfolders in
it; the dbus folder has one text file in it org_gtk_gdbus_general

My Windows machine is quite new--meaning that I haven't installed much
on it beyond some image apps--and I suspect that GnuCash or one of its
dependencies has created these two folders. My first question is: is
this assumption correct? Next, what are these folders? Next, are they
necessary, or can I delete them? Finally, I was under the?? impression
that work has been done to sequester these entries in a Windows way
(either in a registry entry, or under AppData or some other Windows
nook); is this a glitch on my machine, or is it an area that needs
further refinement?

TIA,

Re: [GNC] Dot Directories in Win10

John Ralls-2

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 11:32 PM, David T. via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am using Gnucash 3.5 on Windows 10 (installed on a new Windows machine June 2019), and I notice a couple of dot directories placed in my user folder (C:\Users\sunfish): .cache and .dbus-keyrings
>
> The cache folder has a fontconfig folder with a couple of subfolders in it; the dbus folder has one text file in it org_gtk_gdbus_general
>
> My Windows machine is quite new--meaning that I haven't installed much on it beyond some image apps--and I suspect that GnuCash or one of its dependencies has created these two folders. My first question is: is this assumption correct? Next, what are these folders? Next, are they necessary, or can I delete them? Finally, I was under the?? impression that work has been done to sequester these entries in a Windows way (either in a registry entry, or under AppData or some other Windows nook); is this a glitch on my machine, or is it an area that needs further refinement?

David,

If you delete them they'll probably come back. I think they're both webkit artifacts, one for caching the font file locations that fontconfig found when it searched your system and the other the dbus control file that older versions of webkit used for inter-process communication with its javascript engine.

The sequestration was intended mostly for GnuCash's own state and configuration files. We don't have much control over what the dependencies do about their state and config files.