[GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Sachin Danave
Dear All,

This may sound like a feature request, but just wanted to know if anything
like this already exists.

I am preparing accounts for 2 persons (me and my wife) in the same set up.
That gives me an advantage of seeing the whole financial status at one go.
However, for Taxation purposes, I would like to have a dimension that
specifies the owner of an account. E.g. A Bank account that is owned by me
and a bank account owned by my wife. I could do this using Subaccounts,
however, that complicates the Chart of Accounts substantially. Traditional
accounting packages deal with this by allowing to define a dimension to
different accounts, whereby you can classify the accounts. This
classification field then can be used in reporting.

My basic question is, can we add such "custom" fields in Accounts ? If so,
any guidance is welcome !!!

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Sachin

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

GnuCash - User mailing list
Sachin,
That sounds a lot like "Classes", which is a long standing feature request that has yet to be implemented.

David t.

  On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 9:32, Sachin Danave<[hidden email]> wrote:   Dear All,

[...]

Colin Law
Is it a big complication to have top level asset accounts Me and Wife
(or whatever) with the relevant bank accounts under them?

Colin

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 05:03, Sachin Danave <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> This may sound like a feature request, but just wanted to know if anything
> like this already exists.
>
> I am preparing accounts for 2 persons (me and my wife) in the same set up.
> That gives me an advantage of seeing the whole financial status at one go.
> However, for Taxation purposes, I would like to have a dimension that
> specifies the owner of an account. E.g. A Bank account that is owned by me
> and a bank account owned by my wife. I could do this using Subaccounts,
> however, that complicates the Chart of Accounts substantially. Traditional
> accounting packages deal with this by allowing to define a dimension to
> different accounts, whereby you can classify the accounts. This
> classification field then can be used in reporting.
>
> My basic question is, can we add such "custom" fields in Accounts ? If so,
> any guidance is welcome !!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sachin

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

GnuCash - User mailing list
Colin--
Having top level accounts for entities only will work if all the subsidiary accounts are the proper type (that is, you can't mix asset accounts and liability accounts).

  On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 13:08, Colin Law<[hidden email]> wrote:   Is it a big complication to have top level asset accounts Me and Wife

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 08:56, David T. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Colin--
>
> Having top level accounts for entities only will work if all the subsidiary accounts are the proper type (that is, you can't mix asset accounts and liability accounts).

Agreed, but the OP only mentioned bank accounts, @Sachin do you have
other types of accounts that need to differentiate also?

Colin

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 13:08, Colin Law
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is it a big complication to have top level asset accounts Me and Wife
> (or whatever) with the relevant bank accounts under them?
>
> Colin
>
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 05:03, Sachin Danave <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > This may sound like a feature request, but just wanted to know if anything
> > like this already exists.
> >
> > I am preparing accounts for 2 persons (me and my wife) in the same set up.
> > That gives me an advantage of seeing the whole financial status at one go.
> > However, for Taxation purposes, I would like to have a dimension that
> > specifies the owner of an account. E.g. A Bank account that is owned by me
> > and a bank account owned by my wife. I could do this using Subaccounts,
> > however, that complicates the Chart of Accounts substantially. Traditional
> > accounting packages deal with this by allowing to define a dimension to
> > different accounts, whereby you can classify the accounts. This
> > classification field then can be used in reporting.
> >
> > My basic question is, can we add such "custom" fields in Accounts ? If so,
> > any guidance is welcome !!!
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Best Regards
> >
> > Sachin

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Jeff Abrahamson
If I understand the original question, this is requesting analytical
accounting features.  This has been mentioned before on this list.  I
don't believe gnucash currently provides this, thought I'd be very happy
to be proven wrong, as it's  a feature I also would like.

Jeff

On 29/04/2019 09:36, Colin Law wrote:

> Is it a big complication to have top level asset accounts Me and Wife
> (or whatever) with the relevant bank accounts under them?
>
> Colin
>
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 05:03, Sachin Danave <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> This may sound like a feature request, but just wanted to know if anything
>> like this already exists.
>>
>> I am preparing accounts for 2 persons (me and my wife) in the same set up.
>> That gives me an advantage of seeing the whole financial status at one go.
>> However, for Taxation purposes, I would like to have a dimension that
>> specifies the owner of an account. E.g. A Bank account that is owned by me
>> and a bank account owned by my wife. I could do this using Subaccounts,
>> however, that complicates the Chart of Accounts substantially. Traditional
>> accounting packages deal with this by allowing to define a dimension to
>> different accounts, whereby you can classify the accounts. This
>> classification field then can be used in reporting.
>>
>> My basic question is, can we add such "custom" fields in Accounts ? If so,
>> any guidance is welcome !!!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> Sachin

Jeff Abrahamson
+33 6 24 40 01 57
+44 7920 594 255
https://www.p27.eu/jeff/
https://www.transport-nantes.com/

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Sachin Danave
Sorry I was not clear on my requirement.

I want a Classification field which is attached to an account. This could
be an "owner", so while we have a single Parent Bank account, and 2
accounts of me and my wife below it, I need something to tag these
accounts. That way, when I run a report, I will be able to segregate these
accounts.

Other option is to have a separate hierarchy, but that just increases the
number of accounts.

In general, can we add any custom fields at all to the tables / forms ?

I work for an ERP Software company and this is a fairly standard feature
across such packages.

Thank you all for your response. It has been really heartening to see all
of you responding.

By the way, I am very happy with Gnucash features - it is a very feature
rich system. The Get Quotes works intermittently, but that is something I
can put up with.

Thanks and Regards

Sachin

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 3:04 PM Jeff Abrahamson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I understand the original question, this is requesting analytical
> accounting features.  This has been mentioned before on this list.  I
> don't believe gnucash currently provides this, thought I'd be very happy
> to be proven wrong, as it's  a feature I also would like.
>
> Jeff
>

> On 29/04/2019 09:36, Colin Law wrote:
> > Is it a big complication to have top level asset accounts Me and Wife
> > (or whatever) with the relevant bank accounts under them?
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 05:03, Sachin Danave <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> This may sound like a feature request, but just wanted to know if
> anything
> >> like this already exists.
> >>
> >> I am preparing accounts for 2 persons (me and my wife) in the same set
> up.
> >> That gives me an advantage of seeing the whole financial status at one
> go.
> >> However, for Taxation purposes, I would like to have a dimension that
> >> specifies the owner of an account. E.g. A Bank account that is owned by
> me
> >> and a bank account owned by my wife. I could do this using Subaccounts,
> >> however, that complicates the Chart of Accounts substantially.
> Traditional
> >> accounting packages deal with this by allowing to define a dimension to
> >> different accounts, whereby you can classify the accounts. This
> >> classification field then can be used in reporting.
> >>
> >> My basic question is, can we add such "custom" fields in Accounts ? If
> so,
> >> any guidance is welcome !!!
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >>
> >> Best Regards
> >>
> >> Sachin
> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> -----

> Jeff Abrahamson
> +33 6 24 40 01 57
> +44 7920 594 255
> https://www.p27.eu/jeff/
> https://www.transport-nantes.com/

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Maf. King
On Monday, 29 April 2019 11:18:31 BST Sachin Danave wrote:

> Sorry I was not clear on my requirement.
>
> I want a Classification field which is attached to an account. This could
> be an "owner", so while we have a single Parent Bank account, and 2
> accounts of me and my wife below it, I need something to tag these
> accounts. That way, when I run a report, I will be able to segregate these
> accounts.
>
> Other option is to have a separate hierarchy, but that just increases the
> number of accounts.
>
> In general, can we add any custom fields at all to the tables / forms ?

Hi Sachin,

can you set up sub-accounts under the main bank account.  The reports may
(depending on options) allow you to split the two halves or subtotal them
together.

I don't think there is a way to add a custom field.

You perhaps could do something with the "Num/Action" field and put a tag in
there to permit later sorting?

HTH,
Maf.

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Christopher Lam
Assuming you both have individual accounts, you can already set up a
hierarchical structure with parent 'owner' (set as placeholder) with
children asset accounts 'husband' and 'wife'. If you have a joint account
then stick to 1 account for both.

The main advice we can offer is to stick to "1 GnuCash asset/liability
account = 1 Bank/Creditcard/Loan Account", which will facilitate
reconciliation, and "1 GnuCash income/expense account = 1 income/expense
*category*" where category reflects the Quicken terminology.

If you have individual accounts, you can use a symbol to tag them eg "#"
for yourself and "@" for wife, and the Transaction Report filter can be
used to select the accounts for reporting at your leisure.

So a sample chart may be:
- Asset
 - Bank
  - Husband#
  - Wife@
 - Fixed
  - House
 - Investments
  - Funds
- Liability
 - Loan
- Income
 - Husband Salary#
 - Wife Salary@
- Expense
 - Combined@#
 - Husband#
 - Wife@

Thereby filter with account filter '#' will report on all your
transactions, and @ with the wife's.

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 10:21, Sachin Danave <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry I was not clear on my requirement.
>
> I want a Classification field which is attached to an account. This could
> be an "owner", so while we have a single Parent Bank account, and 2
> accounts of me and my wife below it, I need something to tag these
> accounts. That way, when I run a report, I will be able to segregate these
> accounts.
>
> Other option is to have a separate hierarchy, but that just increases the
> number of accounts.
>
> In general, can we add any custom fields at all to the tables / forms ?
>
> I work for an ERP Software company and this is a fairly standard feature
> across such packages.
>
> Thank you all for your response. It has been really heartening to see all
> of you responding.
>
> By the way, I am very happy with Gnucash features - it is a very feature
> rich system. The Get Quotes works intermittently, but that is something I
> can put up with.
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Sachin
>
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 3:04 PM Jeff Abrahamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > If I understand the original question, this is requesting analytical
> > accounting features.  This has been mentioned before on this list.  I
> > don't believe gnucash currently provides this, thought I'd be very happy
> > to be proven wrong, as it's  a feature I also would like.
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> > On 29/04/2019 09:36, Colin Law wrote:
> > > Is it a big complication to have top level asset accounts Me and Wife
> > > (or whatever) with the relevant bank accounts under them?
> > >
> > > Colin

> > anything

> > up.
> > go.
> by
> > me
> Subaccounts,
> > Traditional

> > so,

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----
> >
> > --
> >
> > Jeff Abrahamson
> > +33 6 24 40 01 57
> > +44 7920 594 255
> > https://www.p27.eu/jeff/
> > https://www.transport-nantes.com/

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Sachin Danave
Hi Christopher

This is what I did - however, I did not see a way of setting a range in the
reports. E.g. An Income and Expense report does not allow me to chose
Accounts by range. Not sure if I have missed something.
Guys, I am really happy with all of your response. Much appreciated.

Sachin

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 4:05 PM Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I work for an ERP Software company and this is a fairly standard feature
>> across such packages.
>>
>> Thank you all for your response. It has been really heartening to see all
>> of you responding.
>>
>> By the way, I am very happy with Gnucash features - it is a very feature
>> rich system. The Get Quotes works intermittently, but that is something I
>> can put up with.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>>
>> Sachin
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 3:04 PM Jeff Abrahamson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > If I understand the original question, this is requesting analytical
>> > accounting features.  This has been mentioned before on this list.  I
>> > don't believe gnucash currently provides this, thought I'd be very happy
>> > to be proven wrong, as it's  a feature I also would like.

Michael or Penny Novack
On 4/28/2019 11:59 PM, Sachin Danave wrote:
>   Traditional
> accounting packages deal with this by allowing to define a dimension to
> different accounts, whereby you can classify the accounts. This
> classification field then can be used in reporting.
  No, TRADITIONAL accounting is one dimensional (there is only one CoA
hierarchy) and you have to "do things" to get reports on another basis.
What you perhaps meant is that some accounting packages have
incorporated various "extensions" to standard accounting to make
reporting on another basis easier.

BTW -- in my working days, I made extensive use of adding called "tags"
<< adding an invisible field to records in a database so that they could
be used/sorted/selected in various different ways >> Solving the problem
of at some later date deciding that the data was needed differently than
imagined when the system was designed. If designing a system from
scratch I might incorporate such a field "just in case" because
experience taught me that the system users would almost always want/need
"something else" later.

Michael D Novack

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

You shouldn’t need to create special account trees or sub-accounts. (but by all means, if you have individual accounts, you should track those separately)

The Transaction Report allows you to filter based on text found in Description, Notes, Memo, etc. You could place a ’tag’ in one of those and use it to filter a report for each of you.

It is unfortunate that the P&L (Income Statement) does not have this feature, but you can get most of the way that with a well crafted Transaction Report. You might have to export it to a spreadsheet if you want to prettify it into a proper Income Statement.

Since you mention your interest to use this for tax purposes, check out the Tax Report options. There might be something there which can help. (I think those settings are also by-account and are ‘all or nothing’ without filters though. I don’t use it, so I can’t say for sure)

If you do have real separate accounts and have those in your tree, you don’t need to tag them also. When you run your reports, simply unselect the account(s) you don’t want to report on, save that as a new configuration and then you can re-use it in the future.

> On Apr 29, 2019, at 5:18 AM, Sachin Danave <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry I was not clear on my requirement.
>
> I want a Classification field which is attached to an account. This could
> be an "owner", so while we have a single Parent Bank account, and 2
> accounts of me and my wife below it, I need something to tag these
> accounts. That way, when I run a report, I will be able to segregate these
> accounts.
>
> Other option is to have a separate hierarchy, but that just increases the
> number of accounts.
>
> In general, can we add any custom fields at all to the tables / forms ?
>
> I work for an ERP Software company and this is a fairly standard feature
> across such packages.
>
> Thank you all for your response. It has been really heartening to see all
> of you responding.
>
> By the way, I am very happy with Gnucash features - it is a very feature
> rich system. The Get Quotes works intermittently, but that is something I
> can put up with.
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Sachin

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

David Carlson-4
The tax report has a little known option to assign an account to "Copy 2"
ie a different tax return.  Ithink it is intended for couples filing
separate return s, but it could be used other ways.

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019, 11:38 AM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You shouldn’t need to create special account trees or sub-accounts. (but
> by all means, if you have individual accounts, you should track those
> separately)
>
> The Transaction Report allows you to filter based on text found in
> Description, Notes, Memo, etc. You could place a ’tag’ in one of those and
> use it to filter a report for each of you.
>
> It is unfortunate that the P&L (Income Statement) does not have this
> feature, but you can get most of the way that with a well crafted
> Transaction Report. You might have to export it to a spreadsheet if you
> want to prettify it into a proper Income Statement.
>
> Since you mention your interest to use this for tax purposes, check out
> the Tax Report options. There might be something there which can help. (I
> think those settings are also by-account and are ‘all or nothing’ without
> filters though. I don’t use it, so I can’t say for sure)
>
> If you do have real separate accounts and have those in your tree, you
> don’t need to tag them also. When you run your reports, simply unselect the
> account(s) you don’t want to report on, save that as a new configuration
> and then you can re-use it in the future.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Apr 29, 2019, at 5:18 AM, Sachin Danave <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry I was not clear on my requirement.
> >
> > I want a Classification field which is attached to an account. This could
> > be an "owner", so while we have a single Parent Bank account, and 2
> > accounts of me and my wife below it, I need something to tag these
> > accounts. That way, when I run a report, I will be able to segregate
> these
> > accounts.
> >
> > Other option is to have a separate hierarchy, but that just increases the
> > number of accounts.
> >
> > In general, can we add any custom fields at all to the tables / forms ?
> >
> > I work for an ERP Software company and this is a fairly standard feature
> > across such packages.
> >
> > Thank you all for your response. It has been really heartening to see all
> > of you responding.
> >
> > By the way, I am very happy with Gnucash features - it is a very feature
> > rich system. The Get Quotes works intermittently, but that is something I
> > can put up with.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> >
> > Sachin

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Adrien Monteleone-2
Good to know, thanks!

> On Apr 29, 2019, at 11:47 AM, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The tax report has a little known option to assign an account to "Copy 2" ie a different tax return.  Ithink it is intended for couples filing separate return s, but it could be used other ways.

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Alex Aycinena-2

> From: David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> To: Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
> Cc: Gnucash Users <[hidden email]>
> Bcc:
> Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 11:47:24 -0500
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts
> The tax report has a little known option to assign an account to "Copy 2"
> ie a different tax return.  Ithink it is intended for couples filing
> separate return s, but it could be used other ways.

For clarification, "Copy 2" is intended to be used in cases where one tax
return has 2 copies of an individual form or schedule. An example is if a
married couple files a joint return and both have 'Schedule C' activities
to report in separate Schedule C's. One individual has, for example, an
income account that points to Copy 1 of Schedule C and the other individual
has a separate income account that points to copy 2. Form 8606 also can
have more than one copy.

Alex

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Hans Henrik
We are a small company using gnucash for our accounting.

We have a similar requirement that we would like to attach reference to
documentation to the transactions (expenses). The possible to indicate annex
number or similar would be fine, so it is easy to find related documentation
the expenses.

Re: [GNC] Dimensions in Accounts

Adrien Monteleone-2
You can use the NUM field for a document number if you like. Also available are the Notes, and the Action & Memo fields for each split.

There is also a function where you can link a document on your computer to the transaction. (like a scanned receipt)