[GNC] Deleting duplicate client invoice

Rich Shepard
   I have a duplicate invoice for one client and have not yet learned how to
delete it. The invoice was paid early last year.

   Both copies of the invoice in A/R are marked 'read only.'

   Please advise me how to remove one of these.

TIA,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Deleting duplicate client invoice [RESOLVED]

Rich Shepard
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  I have a duplicate invoice for one client and have not yet learned how to
> delete it. The invoice was paid early last year.
>
>  Both copies of the invoice in A/R are marked 'read only.'

   I unposted the invoice (but did not delete it) and there is now only a
single copy of that invoice in the A/R register. Checking account is correct
and when I invoke gnucash for the business account I no longer see the nag
screen about a payment without an invoice.

   Everything looks good so I'll consider this thread closed.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Deleting duplicate client invoice [RESOLVED]

Adrien Monteleone-2
Rich,

You can’t delete invoices. (or Bills)

In addition to unposting, I’d suggest editing the invoice to remove as much info as allowed and probably change the invoice number to ‘use next’.

Then instead of duplicating or creating a new invoice, even for a different customer, use that one so it doesn’t remain floating around.

Some also have a special customer (probably from creating one they couldn’t delete) say , ‘Customer ABC’ or other generic label and then assign these ‘use next’ invoices to them. (so they don’t stay assigned to a particular real customer)

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> You can’t delete invoices. (or Bills)

Adrien,

   So I discovered.

> In addition to unposting, I’d suggest editing the invoice to remove as
> much info as allowed and probably change the invoice number to ‘use next’.

   Won't work here as invoice numbers are client and project specific.

> Then instead of duplicating or creating a new invoice, even for a
> different customer, use that one so it doesn’t remain floating around.

   It can float harmlessly forever as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Thanks,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Deleting duplicate client invoice [RESOLVED]

Adrien Monteleone-2
What I meant by changing the invoice number was to make the invoice a placeholder. It doesn’t have to remain forever tied to that client or project since you don’t need it anymore and then it is easily findable to reuse for someone or something else.

Certainly, it’s a personal preference.

Op vrijdag 7 september 2018 18:51:39 CEST schreef Rich Shepard:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> > You can’t delete invoices. (or Bills)
>
> Adrien,
>
>    So I discovered.
>
> > In addition to unposting, I’d suggest editing the invoice to remove as
> > much info as allowed and probably change the invoice number to ‘use next’.
>
>    Won't work here as invoice numbers are client and project specific.

Huh, I don't understand this.

I don't see why you can't reuse the invoice for the future. An unposted
invoice is like a blank sheet of paper. You can put anything on it or change
every aspect.

Adrien's suggestion was mainly to alter the unposted invoice enough that you
remember to start from that one for the next invoice you have to book. The
"use next" only serves as a reminder to **you**. Gnucash ignores it and when
you do recycle the invoice, you just put in the number you want that next
invoice to have.

On Fri, 7 Sep 2018, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Huh, I don't understand this.

Geert,

   Adrien's suggestion likely was based on using an automatic sequential
numbering system.

> I don't see why you can't reuse the invoice for the future. An unposted
> invoice is like a blank sheet of paper. You can put anything on it or change
> every aspect.

   Okay. I can do this.

   Now I need to find it again.

Regards,

Rich

Re: [GNC] Deleting duplicate client invoice [RESOLVED]

Adrien Monteleone-2
My suggestion was based on manual numbering. As far as I can tell, it won’t work with automatic numbering since the invoice already exists and the code to generate that number won’t get fired twice. (an interesting RFE by the way) ’Use next’ could just as easily be ‘duplicate’, ‘unused’, ‘use me next time’, ‘abcdef’, etc. ‘Use next’ isn’t some special code or hook that GC would interpret. Changing the invoice number to such a label (and or placeholder customer) is simply to make it easy for you to find next time you need an invoice as Geert noted.