[GNC] Default invoice/statement

rmomxtx
Is there a way to move the Fancy invoice/statement layout up to replace the
default?

The default layout does not allow putting a logo on the masthead. I'm using
the last update of version 2 of GnuCash. It's stable and working for us so
haven't seen the need to update.

Thanks much,
Roger Oliver

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

Roger Oliver <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is there a way to move the Fancy invoice/statement layout up to replace the
> default?

Edit -> Preferences -> Business
   Report for Printing:  ...

> The default layout does not allow putting a logo on the masthead. I'm using
> the last update of version 2 of GnuCash. It's stable and working for us so
> haven't seen the need to update.

3.x is current.  I'm running 3.4 and verified the preference is there.
I don't recall when it was added.

> Thanks much,
> Roger Oliver

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

rmomxtx
Thanks Derek,

Good to know the feature has been added to Version 3.x. I take it by current
you mean stable? Still a little reluctant to upgrade as version 2.6.17 is
working for us. If it ain't broke...

Roger

> Is there a way to move the Fancy invoice/statement layout up to
> replace the default?

Edit -> Preferences -> Business
   Report for Printing:  ...

> The default layout does not allow putting a logo on the masthead. I'm
> using the last update of version 2 of GnuCash. It's stable and working
> for us so haven't seen the need to update.

3.x is current.  I'm running 3.4 and verified the preference is there.
I don't recall when it was added.

> Thanks much,
> Roger Oliver

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

<[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks Derek,
>
> Good to know the feature has been added to Version 3.x. I take it by current
> you mean stable? Still a little reluctant to upgrade as version 2.6.17 is
> working for us. If it ain't broke...

Version 2.6.17 was released Q3 2017.  It is now Q1 (almost Q2) 2019, so
it's almost two years old.  And yes, 3.4 is the current stable release.

> Roger

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

Adrien Monteleone-2
Roger,

If for some reason you just had to stick with the 2.6.x series for a while longer, I’d recommend 2.6.21 as many bugs were fixed between it and 2.6.17. It is the last stable release of the 2.6 series. But 3.4 is the current release. (3.5 is due out at the end of the month I believe)

> On Mar 8, 2019, at 8:33 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Thanks Derek,
>>
>> Good to know the feature has been added to Version 3.x. I take it by current
>> you mean stable? Still a little reluctant to upgrade as version 2.6.17 is
>> working for us. If it ain't broke...
>
> Version 2.6.17 was released Q3 2017.  It is now Q1 (almost Q2) 2019, so
> it's almost two years old.  And yes, 3.4 is the current stable release.
>
>> Roger

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

Christopher Lam
On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 14:04, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Derek,
>
> Good to know the feature has been added to Version 3.x. I take it by
> current
> you mean stable? Still a little reluctant to upgrade as version 2.6.17 is
> working for us. If it ain't broke...

fwiw invoicing in 3.3 onwards has been merged; it is more flexible but
awaiting bug reports...

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

rmomxtx
Adrian,

Good to know. May try the intermediate step of upgrading to 2.6.21 first. I
understand 3.5 should be out by the end of this month. I have a separate
computer I can experiment with first.

Thanks,
Roger

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:30:46 -0600
From: Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]>
To: GnuCash <[hidden email]>

Roger,

If for some reason you just had to stick with the 2.6.x series for a while
longer, I?d recommend 2.6.21 as many bugs were fixed between it and 2.6.17.
It is the last stable release of the 2.6 series. But 3.4 is the current
release. (3.5 is due out at the end of the month I believe)

> On Mar 8, 2019, at 8:33 AM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Thanks Derek,
>>
>> Good to know the feature has been added to Version 3.x. I take it by
current
>> you mean stable? Still a little reluctant to upgrade as version 2.6.17 is
>> working for us. If it ain't broke...
>
> Version 2.6.17 was released Q3 2017.  It is now Q1 (almost Q2) 2019, so
> it's almost two years old.  And yes, 3.4 is the current stable release.
>
>> Roger

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

rmomxtx
Thanks Christopher,

By merged, do you mean the style sheets have been merged? Same options for
all of them or just one style sheet you can customize?

When you upgrade, do you have to re-establish your saved report formats?

Roger

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019, 10:39 PM Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 14:04, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Derek,
>>
>> Good to know the feature has been added to Version 3.x. I take it by
>> current
>> you mean stable? Still a little reluctant to upgrade as version 2.6.17 is
>> working for us. If it ain't broke...
>>

> fwiw invoicing in 3.3 onwards has been merged; it is more flexible but
> awaiting bug reports...

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

Christopher Lam
Like everything in Gnucash, backward compatibility is always the golden
rule, but this is not always possible.
Invoices have been merged i.e. easy/fancy/printable now share a common base
and options. Styles can be customized via CSS and layout of header via
other options.
You shouldn't need to change your report options but you should definitely
verify they produce satisfactory output.

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 14:56, Roger Oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Christopher,
>
> By merged, do you mean the style sheets have been merged? Same options for
> all of them or just one style sheet you can customize?
>
> When you upgrade, do you have to re-establish your saved report formats?
>
> Roger
>

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019, 10:39 PM Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 14:04, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Derek,
>>>
>>> Good to know the feature has been added to Version 3.x. I take it by
>>> current
>>> you mean stable? Still a little reluctant to upgrade as version 2.6.17 is
>>> working for us. If it ain't broke...
>>>

>> fwiw invoicing in 3.3 onwards has been merged; it is more flexible but
>> awaiting bug reports...

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

rmomxtx
Very helpful, thanks. Pardon my ignorance, CSS?

Do I understand correctly that the customized reports are saved in the data
file so should be there when you open the file in the update?

Roger

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019, 9:25 AM Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Like everything in Gnucash, backward compatibility is always the golden
> rule, but this is not always possible.
> Invoices have been merged i.e. easy/fancy/printable now share a common
> base and options. Styles can be customized via CSS and layout of header via
> other options.
> You shouldn't need to change your report options but you should definitely
> verify they produce satisfactory output.
>

> On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 14:56, Roger Oliver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Christopher,
>>
>> By merged, do you mean the style sheets have been merged? Same options
>> for all of them or just one style sheet you can customize?
>>
>> When you upgrade, do you have to re-establish your saved report formats?
>>
>> Roger
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019, 10:39 PM Christopher Lam <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> fwiw invoicing in 3.3 onwards has been merged; it is more flexible but
>>> awaiting bug reports...

Re: [GNC] Default invoice/statement

Adrien Monteleone-2
Roger,

CSS is an acronym for Cascading Style Sheets. It is a web language used to describe presentation and appearance. Since reports are output in HTML (a web document language) CSS is used to ’style’ the reports. (fonts, colors, padding, lines, etc.)

Custom reports are saved in their own data location. See the Wiki about file locations for more info.(The wiki will also have some info on CSS for you)

If I’m not mistaken, the saved report directory was renamed between 2.6 and 3.0, (as ‘2.4’ to ‘2.8’) so you may need to find the old versions and copy them. Be warned, you should open each report and make sure it works properly after doing so because the underlying code for some reports is different and you may need to adjust your preferences for them. If you have a particularly uncooperative report, you might just need to re-create it.