[GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Stephen M. Butler
Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released): 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD

And here are the three for 3.4-45: 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF

Download the three files to an empty folder (at least one empty of other
*.deb files) and issue this command (note the leading './' on the file
names):

sudo apt install ./*gnucash*.deb


If you see something like this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
E: Unable to locate package gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb'
E: Unable to locate package python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'

That means you forgot to include the leading ./

You should see something like:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'gnucash' instead of './gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
Note, selecting 'gnucash-common' instead of
'./gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb'
Note, selecting 'python3-gnucash' instead of
'./python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
Suggested packages:
  libdbd-mysql
Recommended packages:
  pythone3-gnucash
The following packages will be upgraded:
  gnucash gnucash-common python3-gnucash
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/9,197 kB of archives.
After this operation, 814 kB disk space will be freed.
Get:1 /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb gnucash
amd64 1:3.4-45-~0 [3,898 kB]
Get:2 /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb
gnucash-common all 1:3.4-45-~0 [5,030 kB]
Get:3 /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb
python3-gnucash amd64 1:3.4-45-~0 [269 kB]
(Reading database ... 246015 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) over (1:3.4-42) ...
Preparing to unpack .../gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb ...
Unpacking gnucash-common (1:3.4-45-~0) over (1:3.4-42) ...
Preparing to unpack .../python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking python3-gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) over (1:3.4-42) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3.18.04.2) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.56.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
Setting up python3-gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) ...
Setting up gnucash-common (1:3.4-45-~0) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-11ubuntu1.1) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
Setting up gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) ...

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

stevecoh2@gmail.com
Thank you for this!
On 1/28/19 1:55 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released):
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
>
> And here are the three for 3.4-45:
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF
>
> Download the three files to an empty folder (at least one empty of other
> *.deb files) and issue this command (note the leading './' on the file
> names):
>
> sudo apt install ./*gnucash*.deb
>
>
> If you see something like this:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb
> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
> E: Unable to locate package gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb
> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb'
> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb'
> E: Unable to locate package python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb
> E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
> E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
>
> That means you forgot to include the leading ./
>
> You should see something like:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Note, selecting 'gnucash' instead of './gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
> Note, selecting 'gnucash-common' instead of
> './gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb'
> Note, selecting 'python3-gnucash' instead of
> './python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb'
> Suggested packages:
>    libdbd-mysql
> Recommended packages:
>    pythone3-gnucash
> The following packages will be upgraded:
>    gnucash gnucash-common python3-gnucash
> 3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B/9,197 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 814 kB disk space will be freed.
> Get:1 /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb gnucash
> amd64 1:3.4-45-~0 [3,898 kB]
> Get:2 /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb
> gnucash-common all 1:3.4-45-~0 [5,030 kB]
> Get:3 /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb
> python3-gnucash amd64 1:3.4-45-~0 [269 kB]
> (Reading database ... 246015 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to unpack .../gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb ...
> Unpacking gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) over (1:3.4-42) ...
> Preparing to unpack .../gnucash-common_3.4-45-~0_all.deb ...
> Unpacking gnucash-common (1:3.4-45-~0) over (1:3.4-42) ...
> Preparing to unpack .../python3-gnucash_3.4-45-~0_amd64.deb ...
> Unpacking python3-gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) over (1:3.4-42) ...
> Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60ubuntu1) ...
> Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1ubuntu3.18.04.2) ...
> Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0:amd64 (2.56.3-0ubuntu0.18.04.1) ...
> Setting up python3-gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) ...
> Setting up gnucash-common (1:3.4-45-~0) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.3-2ubuntu0.1) ...
> Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-11ubuntu1.1) ...
> Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
> Setting up gnucash (1:3.4-45-~0) ...
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

David Carlson-4
On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for this!
> On 1/28/19 1:55 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> > Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released):
> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
> >
> > And here are the three for 3.4-45:
> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF
> >
> >
>

Refresh my memory please.   I believe these are complete packages
(tarballs?) containing everything needed to build your own version of
GnuCash.  One set is to build version 3.4, the current stable release, and
the other is to build version 3.4.5, the current development release which
will eventually be replaced by the next stable release 4.0?.  I am guessing
that there are three of each of them because they are directed toward
different current releases of Debian.  I have not downloaded them yet.

Maybe, (and this is where I get really fuzzy) each might also work in
certain releases derived from those Debian releases such as Ubuntu.

Further, I am not sure whether they will work in all distros or all of the
commonly used desktops.  Since I am just smart enough to shoot myself in
the foot, I will try one in VirtualBox and keep the data files isolated by
air gaps with USB keys.

I plan to re-read the instructions in https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
but I may still be missing critical steps, since this is my first try.  It
will take a couple of tries with whichever distro I decide to use before I
even get that running well enough to try building GnuCash, so it may take a
week or two to see results.  I am currently leaning toward Debian 9.7
Stretch or Debian testing Buster.  The latter may not even need this
building process.  If this all works out I have an old Dell tower that
could become my GnuCash machine.

Before I start, is this a viable plan?

David Carlson
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Colin Law
On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 21:15, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for this!
> > On 1/28/19 1:55 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> > > Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released):
> > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
> > >
> > > And here are the three for 3.4-45:
> > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF
> > >
> > >
> >
>
> Refresh my memory please.   I believe these are complete packages
> (tarballs?) containing everything needed to build your own version of
> GnuCash.


No, these are .deb files which are ready built for installing gnucash on
Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10 by following the instructions in the first post.  No
need to build it yourself for these distributions.

Colin
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Colin Law
Further to my previous post they are actually zip files containing the deb
files, but hopefully that is self evident.

Colin

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 21:18, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 21:15, David Carlson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Steve Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Thank you for this!
>> > On 1/28/19 1:55 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>> > > Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released):
>> > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
>> > >
>> > > And here are the three for 3.4-45:
>> > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF
>> > >
>> > >
>> >
>>
>> Refresh my memory please.   I believe these are complete packages
>> (tarballs?) containing everything needed to build your own version of
>> GnuCash.
>
>
> No, these are .deb files which are ready built for installing gnucash on
> Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10 by following the instructions in the first post.  No
> need to build it yourself for these distributions.
>
> Colin
>
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Stephen M. Butler
In reply to this post by David Carlson-4
On 2/7/19 1:12 PM, David Carlson wrote:

>
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Thank you for this!
>     On 1/28/19 1:55 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>     > Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released):
>     > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
>     >
>     > And here are the three for 3.4-45:
>     > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF
>     >
>     >
>
>
> Refresh my memory please.   I believe these are complete packages
> (tarballs?) containing everything needed to build your own version of
> GnuCash.  One set is to build version 3.4, the current stable release,
> and the other is to build version 3.4.5, the current development
> release which will eventually be replaced by the next stable release
> 4.0?.  I am guessing that there are three of each of them because they
> are directed toward different current releases of Debian.  I have not
> downloaded them yet.
>
There are three .deb files in each area.  Using short names -- without
the version #s:

  gnucash.deb

  gnucash-common.deb

  python3-gnucash.deb

All three are installable packages.  You need to install all three. 
sudo apt install ./*_3.4_*.deb for the 3.4 version and ./*_3.4-45_*.deb
for the 3.4-45.  I wouldn't install the last one as there is a bug with
the dates around the end-of-the-year.

Remember to specify the path to that debian files or apt will look
online for the packages instead (and not find them).


> Maybe, (and this is where I get really fuzzy) each might also work in
> certain releases derived from those Debian releases such as Ubuntu.


Should work on any distro that will accept a *.deb package file.  Not
the operative word here is "should".

>
> Further, I am not sure whether they will work in all distros or all of
> the commonly used desktops.  Since I am just smart enough to shoot
> myself in the foot, I will try one in VirtualBox and keep the data
> files isolated by air gaps with USB keys.


Sounds like a plan.  Please report back

>
> I plan to re-read the instructions in
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building but I may still be missing
> critical steps, since this is my first try.  It will take a couple of
> tries with whichever distro I decide to use before I even get that
> running well enough to try building GnuCash, so it may take a week or
> two to see results.  I am currently leaning toward Debian 9.7 Stretch
> or Debian testing Buster.  The latter may not even need this building
> process.  If this all works out I have an old Dell tower that could
> become my GnuCash machine.
>
> Before I start, is this a viable plan?


Don't bother trying to build from source.  I've already done that to
generate the *.deb files for you.


Note:  these were built on a Ubuntu 18.04 platform but using dpkg to be
distro independent.  Is it really distro independent?  Well, only time
and user base will tell us for sure.

>
> David Carlson


--Steve


--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Stephen M. Butler
In reply to this post by Colin Law
On 2/7/19 1:18 PM, Colin Law wrote:

>
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 21:15, David Carlson
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Steve Cohen <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     > Thank you for this!
>     > On 1/28/19 1:55 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>     > > Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released):
>     > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
>     > >
>     > > And here are the three for 3.4-45:
>     > > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF
>     > >
>     > >
>     >
>
>     Refresh my memory please.   I believe these are complete packages
>     (tarballs?) containing everything needed to build your own version of
>     GnuCash. 
>
>
> No, these are .deb files which are ready built for installing gnucash
> on Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10 by following the instructions in the first
> post.  No need to build it yourself for these distributions.
>
> Colin
>
dpkg claims it will build for generic distro.  I specified 'any' during
the build instructions.  So, it should work on any distro that accepts a
*.deb file.

Note disclaimer that the operative word here is "should".  <<grin>>

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Colin Law
In reply to this post by Stephen M. Butler
On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 22:18, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ...
> Should work on any distro that will accept a *.deb package file. Note
> the operative word here is "should".

That's interesting, I assumed it would have to have built in
dependencies on particular packages.  Has anyone tried them on Ubuntu
16.04?

If I run
apt-cache depends gnucash
it shows the list of packages that need to be installed to make it go.
This includes, for example, libboost-date-time1.65.1, I would have
expected the install to fail if the distribution does not have that
package available.  I may be wrong here though, I am a bit out of my
comfort zone.

Colin
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Stephen M. Butler
On 2/8/19 12:44 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 22:18, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> ...
>> Should work on any distro that will accept a *.deb package file. Note
>> the operative word here is "should".
> That's interesting, I assumed it would have to have built in
> dependencies on particular packages.  Has anyone tried them on Ubuntu
> 16.04?
>
> If I run
> apt-cache depends gnucash
> it shows the list of packages that need to be installed to make it go.
> This includes, for example, libboost-date-time1.65.1, I would have
> expected the install to fail if the distribution does not have that
> package available.  I may be wrong here though, I am a bit out of my
> comfort zone.
>
> Colin
>
I uninstalled gnucash and removed all "released" packages then did an
install on my box and it brought in all the dependent packages.

Here are my steps:

sudo apt remove gnucash gnucash-common python3-gnucash

sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt install ./*_3.4_*.deb

I've down this on Ubuntu 18.04 and have heard that it works on Ubuntu
18.10.  Let me know the results if you try it on Ubuntu 16.04.

Note:  If you built from scratch and installed that build, you may need
to do "sudo make uninstall" from the old build directory.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Ronal B Morse-2
I downloaded the 3.4 release debs for testing with Ubuntu
18.10.  One can just double-click on the individual .debs and
the Ubuntu software installer will take care of the rest.
Install gnucash-common first as it is required by the main
program. I also installed the python .deb before the main
program, but I don't know if that makes any difference.

I don't use the online transaction, price or quotes retrieval
functions so I don't know if those work. I haven't done much
with reports except to verify a balance sheet prints. Check
printing works.

Testing was done with a data file I copied over from my
production machine that runs Gnucash 3.2-something.  No
apparent problems noted.

Nice job, and thanks.

Ron Morse.


On Fri, 2019-02-08 at 10:34 -0800, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> On 2/8/19 12:44 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 at 22:18, Stephen M. Butler <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > ...
> > > Should work on any distro that will accept a *.deb
> > > package file. Note
> > > the operative word here is "should".
> > That's interesting, I assumed it would have to have built
> > in
> > dependencies on particular packages.  Has anyone tried
> > them on Ubuntu
> > 16.04?
> >
> > If I run
> > apt-cache depends gnucash
> > it shows the list of packages that need to be installed
> > to make it go.
> > This includes, for example, libboost-date-time1.65.1, I
> > would have
> > expected the install to fail if the distribution does not
> > have that
> > package available.  I may be wrong here though, I am a
> > bit out of my
> > comfort zone.
> >
> > Colin
> >
> I uninstalled gnucash and removed all "released" packages
> then did an
> install on my box and it brought in all the dependent
> packages.
>
> Here are my steps:
>
> sudo apt remove gnucash gnucash-common python3-gnucash
>
> sudo apt autoremove
>
> sudo apt install ./*_3.4_*.deb
>
> I've down this on Ubuntu 18.04 and have heard that it works
> on Ubuntu
> 18.10.  Let me know the results if you try it on Ubuntu
> 16.04.
>
> Note:  If you built from scratch and installed that build,
> you may need
> to do "sudo make uninstall" from the old build directory.
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Gour
In reply to this post by Stephen M. Butler
On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:55:47 -0800
"Stephen M. Butler" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I migrated from Manjaro Linux where I had 3.5 installed to Devuan
(non-systemd Debian) and would like to use 'stable' (ala Stretch)
version, so have a doubt...

> Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released): 
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
>
> And here are the three for 3.4-45: 
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF

...do you believe the above packages should work on Devuan 'stable' or am
I maybe better to use 'testing' version which also has 3.4 package?

Attempt to install 3.4 package on Devuan 'stable' from 'testing' is
pulling lot of pkgs - both new and many to be upgraded, so wonder how
could your package work?


Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is
ever being filled but is always still — can alone achieve
peace, and not the man who strives to satisfy such desires.


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Stephen M. Butler
On 4/15/19 12:03 AM, Gour wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I migrated from Manjaro Linux where I had 3.5 installed to Devuan
> (non-systemd Debian) and would like to use 'stable' (ala Stretch)
> version, so have a doubt...
>
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 11:55:47 -0800
>> "Stephen M. Butler" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Here are the three debian files for 3.4 (as released): 
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fV_fURy6c77e7gf6S41lTacM7dFyy7VD
>>
>> And here are the three for 3.4-45: 
>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v-AWCWxbETqsXsmQ7jYX8wurL6HKASBF
> ...do you believe the above packages should work on Devuan 'stable' or am
> I maybe better to use 'testing' version which also has 3.4 package?
>
> Attempt to install 3.4 package on Devuan 'stable' from 'testing' is
> pulling lot of pkgs - both new and many to be upgraded, so wonder how
> could your package work?
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Gour


I am not familiar with Devuan.  The 3.5 packages were built by a debian
package builder on a Ubuntu 18.04 box.  The package builder was told the
list of needed packages so the installer should be able to detect which
ones are not on the system and install them for you.  It was built with
the 'trusty' base system set.  So if your distro is based on Trusty or
equivalent there is a good chance it will succeed.

However, make sure you have a rollback plan if it doesn't.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

boldstripe
Are the Debian 3.5 packages available now? The link above is for the 3.4
package.



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

Stephen M. Butler
On 4/16/19 6:25 AM, boldstripe wrote:
> Are the Debian 3.5 packages available now? The link above is for the 3.4
> package.


This folder should have the 3.5 deb files: 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11gjnSIw9E8B8kOJ01DHQuEA83xidbw8E


--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
253-350-0166
-------------------------------------------
GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

boldstripe
Thank you, I appreciate your work on this.

I am on Debian Buster (testing) with current updates applied.

When I try to install 3.5 from your files with apt, it fails, with the
following messages:

boldstripe@thinkpad-debian:~/Downloads/gnucash_3.5$ ls
gnucash_3.5_amd64.deb  gnucash-common_3.5_all.deb
python3-gnucash_3.5_amd64.deb
boldstripe@thinkpad-debian:~/Downloads/gnucash_3.5$ sudo apt install
./*gnucash*.deb
[sudo] password for boldstripe:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'gnucash' instead of './gnucash_3.5_amd64.deb'
Note, selecting 'gnucash-common' instead of './gnucash-common_3.5_all.deb'
Note, selecting 'python3-gnucash' instead of
'./python3-gnucash_3.5_amd64.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gnucash : Depends: libboost-date-time1.65.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libboost-filesystem1.65.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libboost-locale1.65.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libboost-regex1.65.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libboost-system1.65.1 but it is not installable
           Depends: libicu60 (>= 60.1-1~) but it is not installable
           Depends: libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5) but it is not installable
           Recommends: pythone3-gnucash but it is not installable
 python3-gnucash : Depends: libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5) but it is not
installable
                   Depends: python3 (< 3.7) but 3.7.2-1 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.




--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

boldstripe
And if I uninstall old gnucash first (as described in an older message above)
then try to install the three items separately, I get the same errors about
libboost and libpython dependencies.



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

stephen.m.butler51
In reply to this post by boldstripe
Interesting.   I'm on the way to the Oregon coast for the rest of the week.  These were built for Trusty so may be too old for Buster.Can you build from source?Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: boldstripe <[hidden email]> Date: 4/16/19  10:58  (GMT-08:00) To: [hidden email] Subject: Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x Thank you, I appreciate your work on this.I am on Debian Buster (testing) with current updates applied.When I try to install 3.5 from your files with apt, it fails, with thefollowing messages:boldstripe@thinkpad-debian:~/Downloads/gnucash_3.5$ lsgnucash_3.5_amd64.deb  gnucash-common_3.5_all.deb python3-gnucash_3.5_amd64.debboldstripe@thinkpad-debian:~/Downloads/gnucash_3.5$ sudo apt install./*gnucash*.deb [sudo] password for boldstripe: Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree       Reading state information... DoneNote, selecting 'gnucash' instead of './gnucash_3.5_amd64.deb'Note, selecting 'gnucash-common' instead of './gnucash-common_3.5_all.deb'Note, selecting 'python3-gnucash' instead of'./python3-gnucash_3.5_amd64.deb'Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you haverequested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstabledistribution that some required packages have not yet been createdor been moved out of Incoming.The following information may help to resolve the situation:The following packages have unmet dependencies: gnucash : Depends: libboost-date-time1.65.1 but it is not installable           Depends: libboost-filesystem1.65.1 but it is not installable           Depends: libboost-locale1.65.1 but it is not installable           Depends: libboost-regex1.65.1 but it is not installable           Depends: libboost-system1.65.1 but it is not installable           Depends: libicu60 (>= 60.1-1~) but it is not installable           Depends: libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5) but it is not installable           Recommends: pythone3-gnucash but it is not installable python3-gnucash : Depends: libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5) but it is notinstallable                   Depends: python3 (< 3.7) but 3.7.2-1 is to be installedE: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.--Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html_______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing [hidden email] update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-userIf you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

boldstripe
I would prefer to wait until my distribution updates to 3.5 (have had
problems trying to build from source in the past). Debian testing is already
on 3.4, so it is hopefully just a matter of time.



--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] Debian Files for GnuCash 3.4-x

GnuCash - User mailing list
I am using 3.5 in Debian Stretch: compiled it from source.

It's not walk in the park, but if you are interested I can share some info.


-
Regards,
Justin Mathew
[hidden email]

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:39 PM, boldstripe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would prefer to wait until my distribution updates to 3.5 (have had
> problems trying to build from source in the past). Debian testing is already
> on 3.4, so it is hopefully just a matter of time.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
>
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.