[GNC] Data Entry Loss

Dennis Marshall
Hi, All,
I am working in version 3.5 and having difficulties keeping my data. What do I mean? I enter the values in my different accounts and save them as I go. The next day when I go to open the saved file, all my accounts, except the parent accounts reflecting account totals, have none of the entries saved that I so meticulously entered the day before. Can someone in the user group point me toward a solution?
Thanks,Dennis

Re: [GNC] Data Entry Loss

Adrien Monteleone-2
If the parent totals reflect the ‘missing’ transactions try using the Find feature to locate them. Are you using a filtered view of your registers?

> On Apr 6, 2019, at 5:41 PM, Dennis Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, All,
> I am working in version 3.5 and having difficulties keeping my data. What do I mean? I enter the values in my different accounts and save them as I go. The next day when I go to open the saved file, all my accounts, except the parent accounts reflecting account totals, have none of the entries saved that I so meticulously entered the day before. Can someone in the user group point me toward a solution?
> Thanks,Dennis

Re: [GNC] Data Entry Loss

Dennis,

Along with the possibility that your results are filtered by exclusion by a
date setting other possibilities to check are whether you are opening the
same file. GnuCash creates a copy of the data file as a backup each time it
is opened and also creates a log file (see
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup#GnuCash_Data_Files,
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v3/C/gnucash-guide/basics-backup1.html for
details) in the same directory as the original data file.

A common problem some users encounter is to open a backup copy of the file
rather than the original. Some file managers truncate the filename to fit a
field width and it is sometimes easy to select a backup because you don't
see the timestamp in the filename.

Try checking the filename of the opened data file.  It is usually displayed
in the header of the main GnuCash window. To check the path to the file
select File ->Save As from the menu and check where the dialog is opening.
It should open at the location you file was opened from as the default
location to save the file to.

If this is not the problem then it is most likely a filtering or settings
problem. Check that the accounting period in the Edit->Preferences
Accounting Period tab includes the current date. Aslo check the View->Filter
By settings  while in the register  to ensure they cover the dates for
transactions that are missing.

Another possibility is the Date format setting used in your locale. Ensure
that the format for dates for transactions you have entered is matching the
setting  for your location or any over ride of that. Reversing months and
days can cause transactions to be hidden as can wrong years in entry .
GnuCash does not accept yyyy year formats in the date entry in the registers
only yy. Typing 2019 can result into entry in 2020 which may be outside the
set accounting period.

Re: [GNC] Data Entry Loss

Colin Law
Almost certainly you have set a filter on the view.  Go into the
account with the missing transactions and select View > Filter By and
make sure that on the Date tab you have selected Show All and on the
Status tab all the boxes are selected.

Colin

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 23:44, Dennis Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, All,
> I am working in version 3.5 and having difficulties keeping my data. What do I mean? I enter the values in my different accounts and save them as I go. The next day when I go to open the saved file, all my accounts, except the parent accounts reflecting account totals, have none of the entries saved that I so meticulously entered the day before. Can someone in the user group point me toward a solution?
> Thanks,Dennis

Re: [GNC] Data Entry Loss

David Carlson-4
Dennis,

What operating system is your computer using?

David Carlson

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 3:22 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Almost certainly you have set a filter on the view.  Go into the
> account with the missing transactions and select View > Filter By and
> make sure that on the Date tab you have selected Show All and on the
> Status tab all the boxes are selected.
>
> Colin
>
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 23:44, Dennis Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, All,
> > I am working in version 3.5 and having difficulties keeping my data.
> What do I mean? I enter the values in my different accounts and save them
> as I go. The next day when I go to open the saved file, all my accounts,
> except the parent accounts reflecting account totals, have none of the
> entries saved that I so meticulously entered the day before. Can someone in
> the user group point me toward a solution?
> > Thanks,Dennis

David Carlson

Re: [GNC] Data Entry Loss

Colin Law
The reason for me suggesting it is the filter specifically is the the
OP said that the parent account totals are correct, so the
transactions are in there somewhere.

Colin

On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 at 09:19, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Almost certainly you have set a filter on the view.  Go into the
> account with the missing transactions and select View > Filter By and
> make sure that on the Date tab you have selected Show All and on the
> Status tab all the boxes are selected.
>
> Colin
>
> On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 23:44, Dennis Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, All,
> > I am working in version 3.5 and having difficulties keeping my data. What do I mean? I enter the values in my different accounts and save them as I go. The next day when I go to open the saved file, all my accounts, except the parent accounts reflecting account totals, have none of the entries saved that I so meticulously entered the day before. Can someone in the user group point me toward a solution?
> > Thanks,Dennis

Re: [GNC] Data Entry Loss

Dennis Marshall
 David, et al,
I am using Windows 10. I had not edited any view screen filters, so I am not sure how this happened yet. I fired up gnucash this a.m. and things were back to normal. I will check the Date settings and file path later today when I have a chance to investigate more fully.
Dennis
    On Sunday, April 7, 2019, 7:19:04 AM EDT, David Carlson <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Dennis,
What operating system is your computer using?
David Carlson

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 3:22 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

Almost certainly you have set a filter on the view.  Go into the
account with the missing transactions and select View > Filter By and
make sure that on the Date tab you have selected Show All and on the
Status tab all the boxes are selected.

Colin

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 23:44, Dennis Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, All,
> I am working in version 3.5 and having difficulties keeping my data. What do I mean? I enter the values in my different accounts and save them as I go. The next day when I go to open the saved file, all my accounts, except the parent accounts reflecting account totals, have none of the entries saved that I so meticulously entered the day before. Can someone in the user group point me toward a solution?
> Thanks,Dennis

David Carlson