GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR and ./configure --docdir

GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR and ./configure --docdir

Micha Lenk
Hi,

when I just tried to tweak some details for the recent Debian packages
for Gnucash, I discovered that the configure option --docdir apparently
has no effect. A short view into configure.ac and the Makefile.am files
revealed that the reason is that GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR is set to
${pkgdatadir}/doc in configure.ac, and $docdir is set to
${GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR} in Makefile.am files. This means an explicitly
configured $docdir will always get overwritten by a path that is derived
from $pkgdatadir.

I think the reason is that the --docdir parameter was added to Autoconf
in 2.60 (see also the [1]release announcement), so with older Autoconf
releases the build system needed to define $docdir on its own.

 1. http://www.mail-archive.com/autotools-announce@.../msg00016.html

To fix the issue I would like to change the minimal Autoconf requirement
from 2.59 to 2.60 and initialize GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR to ${docdir} (see
attached patch).

Does anybody see an issue with this patch?

Would it be sensible to cleanup even more at this occasion and replace
any usage of GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR by $docdir?

Cheers,
Micha

docdir.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR and ./configure --docdir

Micha Lenk
Hi again,

just a note on the patch I've just send: Please skip the changes on file
src/bin/gnucash-bin.c. They are not at all related to the proposed
docdir changes.

Regards,
Micha

Re: GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR and ./configure --docdir

Christian Stimming-4
Am Sonntag, 5. Juni 2011 schrieb Micha Lenk:

> Hi,
>
> when I just tried to tweak some details for the recent Debian packages
> for Gnucash, I discovered that the configure option --docdir apparently
> has no effect. A short view into configure.ac and the Makefile.am files
> revealed that the reason is that GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR is set to
> ${pkgdatadir}/doc in configure.ac, and $docdir is set to
> ${GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR} in Makefile.am files. This means an explicitly
> configured $docdir will always get overwritten by a path that is derived
> from $pkgdatadir.
>
> I think the reason is that the --docdir parameter was added to Autoconf
> in 2.60 (see also the [1]release announcement), so with older Autoconf
> releases the build system needed to define $docdir on its own.
>
>  1. http://www.mail-archive.com/autotools-announce@.../msg00016.html
>
> To fix the issue I would like to change the minimal Autoconf requirement
> from 2.59 to 2.60 and initialize GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR to ${docdir} (see
> attached patch).
>
> Does anybody see an issue with this patch?

No issue. For trunk, this can go in. For the 2.4.x branch, I think we rather
don't touch this area (anymore).

> Would it be sensible to cleanup even more at this occasion and replace
> any usage of GNC_DOC_INSTALL_DIR by $docdir?

Yes (as we're talking about trunk anyway).

Regards,

Christian