[GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

[GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Hello,

I am on GnuCash 3.4, Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

Please see attached for a sample invoice I generate out of GnuCash based on the Tax Invoice report (sensitive data has been masked). Today was the first time I tried to run this report from GnuCash 3.4 and I noticed that the INR currency symbol is showing up as a missing symbol icon.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I tried turning off the display of currency symbol in the report via Edit->Report Options, but didn’t see anything to that effect.

Cheers,
Deva

Invoice-000267-01_15_2019.pdf (38K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi Deva,

Am 15.01.19 um 13:58 schrieb Deva -:
> Hello,
>
> I am on GnuCash 3.4, Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).
>
> Please see attached for a sample invoice I generate out of GnuCash based on the Tax Invoice report (sensitive data has been masked). Today was the first time I tried to run this report from GnuCash 3.4 and I noticed that the INR currency symbol is showing up as a missing symbol icon.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?

You need (to install and) use a font, wich contains the symbol. See
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_get_I_rid_of_strange_unreadable_characters_or_adjust_the_font_size

> I tried turning off the display of currency symbol in the report via Edit->Report Options, but didn’t see anything to that effect.

At least you should be able to use something else, see
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_dislike_some_of_the_new_currency_symbols_of_GnuCash_2.6

> Cheers,
> Deva

Cheers
Frank

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Thank you for your response, Frank.

When I look at the “Default” stylesheet, Arial is the default font. When I look at the Character Viewer on my Mac, I can see that the INR (rupee) symbol is available, though I couldn’t figure out what font that is.

This was not a problem until 3.3, so I am not sure how to fix this in 3.4.

I tried changing the default stylesheet’s font to Helvetica/MS Sans Serif, but it still doesn’t show the report with proper symbol for INR.

Following your other wiki instructions, I then looked at Tools->Security Editor to check if the currency symbol is there and everything looks ok on that screen (see attached screenshot). I can see the currency editor shows the proper symbol for INR (rupee).

Also note that this is only a problem in reports. The currency symbol is showing fine on the main account tree page.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can try.

Cheers.

[cid:0133440E-F5D0-4450-BC47-65D732752428@Belkin]
On 15-Jan-2019, at 7:38 PM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

INR.png (68K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Christopher Lam
This seems to be the eguile-based "tax invoice" report.

Perhaps you can try the other "Printable/Easy/Fancy Invoice" reports and
let us know?

With MacOS it'll be very difficult to investigate this; usually we'd
advocate 'bisecting' i.e. try various releases until the exact breaking
one is found, but I'm not sure this is feasible with MacOS.

Sorry, and good luck.

On 15/1/19 8:58 pm, Deva - wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am on GnuCash 3.4, Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).
>
> Please see attached for a sample invoice I generate out of GnuCash based on the Tax Invoice report (sensitive data has been masked). Today was the first time I tried to run this report from GnuCash 3.4 and I noticed that the INR currency symbol is showing up as a missing symbol icon.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> I tried turning off the display of currency symbol in the report via Edit->Report Options, but didn’t see anything to that effect.
>
> Cheers,
> Deva

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
You can have multiple versions installed at once, they just either have to be installed in different locations, or if you want them all in /Applications, they each need to have different names. (can’t have two files with the same name in any directory) An easy choice would be to append the version number before the “.app” in “Gnucash.app”.

The more important consideration is making sure to work with backup copies of the data and don’t touch the original until it is sorted out.

> On Jan 16, 2019, at 8:52 AM, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This seems to be the eguile-based "tax invoice" report.
>
> Perhaps you can try the other "Printable/Easy/Fancy Invoice" reports and let us know?
>
> With MacOS it'll be very difficult to investigate this; usually we'd advocate 'bisecting' i.e. try various releases until the exact breaking one is found, but I'm not sure this is feasible with MacOS.
>
> Sorry, and good luck.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Thanks Christopher.

Went back and tried the Printable/Easy/Fancy invoice reports and the currency symbol shows up fine on those reports. So it’s only the Tax Invoice report that has a problem.

My preference still remains the Tax Invoice report because it allows me to change column headings. For instance, I have renamed the column header for “Action” on my report to “SAC” because this is the place I capture the GST related code that’s mandatory in our invoice. Since Printable/Easy/Fancy invoices don’t allow me change column headers, I have to use Tax Invoice for now.

However, following up on the wiki links in Frank’s mail further, I overlooked an aspect in the second wiki, where it says I can set the currency symbol to any text I want in the security/currency editor. So I went into that currency editor and changed the rupee symbol to just text - INR. Now instead of the symbol, it shows the text INR for all amounts on the invoice. I can work with this for now, but the problem remains a puzzle.

Only flip side is, now even my account tree page shows INR instead of the rupee symbol and takes up more column space. I kinda liked the symbol display, but alas we live to fight the battle another day!

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

On 15/1/19 8:58 pm, Deva - wrote:

Hello,

I am on GnuCash 3.4, Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).

Please see attached for a sample invoice I generate out of GnuCash based on the Tax Invoice report (sensitive data has been masked). Today was the first time I tried to run this report from GnuCash 3.4 and I noticed that the INR currency symbol is showing up as a missing symbol icon.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I tried turning off the display of currency symbol in the report via Edit->Report Options, but didn’t see anything to that effect.

Cheers,
Deva

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

GnuCash - User mailing list
Not that I am an expert on these issues, but your observation suggests that the font that the Tax Invoice uses lacks a valid INR symbol. I believe there are style sheets for that report which can be used to change the font and remedy the problem (provided the newly-selected font has a Rupee symbol).

David T.

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 6:20 PM, Deva - <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Christopher.
>
> Went back and tried the Printable/Easy/Fancy invoice reports and the currency symbol shows up fine on those reports. So it’s only the Tax Invoice report that has a problem.
>
> My preference still remains the Tax Invoice report because it allows me to change column headings. For instance, I have renamed the column header for “Action” on my report to “SAC” because this is the place I capture the GST related code that’s mandatory in our invoice. Since Printable/Easy/Fancy invoices don’t allow me change column headers, I have to use Tax Invoice for now.
>
> However, following up on the wiki links in Frank’s mail further, I overlooked an aspect in the second wiki, where it says I can set the currency symbol to any text I want in the security/currency editor. So I went into that currency editor and changed the rupee symbol to just text - INR. Now instead of the symbol, it shows the text INR for all amounts on the invoice. I can work with this for now, but the problem remains a puzzle.
>
> Only flip side is, now even my account tree page shows INR instead of the rupee symbol and takes up more column space. I kinda liked the symbol display, but alas we live to fight the battle another day!
>
> Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
>
> Cheers.
>
> On 16-Jan-2019, at 8:22 PM, Christopher Lam <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

> This seems to be the eguile-based "tax invoice" report.
>
> Perhaps you can try the other "Printable/Easy/Fancy Invoice" reports and let us know?
>
> With MacOS it'll be very difficult to investigate this; usually we'd advocate 'bisecting' i.e. try various releases until the exact breaking one is found, but I'm not sure this is feasible with MacOS.
>
> Sorry, and good luck.
>
> On 15/1/19 8:58 pm, Deva - wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am on GnuCash 3.4, Mac OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra).
>
> Please see attached for a sample invoice I generate out of GnuCash based on the Tax Invoice report (sensitive data has been masked). Today was the first time I tried to run this report from GnuCash 3.4 and I noticed that the INR currency symbol is showing up as a missing symbol icon.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> I tried turning off the display of currency symbol in the report via Edit->Report Options, but didn’t see anything to that effect.
>
> Cheers,
> Deva

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
You can assign a stylesheet to the Tax Invoice in options. (it uses the Default stylesheet, by default)

So via Edit > Stylesheets you can either specify a different font for the Default stylesheet that contains the symbol, or add a new stylesheet just for the Tax Invoice. If you’re changing fonts on Default, you can do so just for Numbers if you like. (leaving the rest of the fonts assignments alone)

I also noticed that the Tax Invoice options contain a Custom Css block.

You might instead be able to change the font just for numbers there if you can find the class you need to target. (probably open the invoice in a browser and use the built-in inspector) This method would allow you to always get the Rupee symbol no matter what stylesheet is selected.

Op donderdag 17 januari 2019 15:49:26 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-user:
> Not that I am an expert on these issues, but your observation suggests that
> the font that the Tax Invoice uses lacks a valid INR symbol. I believe
> there are style sheets for that report which can be used to change the font
> and remedy the problem (provided the newly-selected font has a Rupee
> symbol).
The other possible issue is that the eguile  based reports (like the Tax
Invoice one) may not be handling non-ascii characters properly.

That would be a problem with the code and not something the end user could
remedy unfortunately.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Geert is probably right.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I did try to change the default stylesheet fonts to a few commonly used fonts in documents (Arial/Helvetica/MS Sans Serif), but rupee symbol didn’t come up for any of them.

I can see from the character viewer on my Mac that there are a number of variations of the rupee symbol available, but I can’t figure out which font is used on each of those variations. So for the time being I have changed the symbol to text (INR) in the currency editor.

Cheers.

> On 18-Jan-2019, at 4:21 PM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op donderdag 17 januari 2019 15:49:26 CET schreef David T. via gnucash-user:
>> Not that I am an expert on these issues, but your observation suggests that
>> the font that the Tax Invoice uses lacks a valid INR symbol. I believe
>> there are style sheets for that report which can be used to change the font
>> and remedy the problem (provided the newly-selected font has a Rupee
>> symbol).
> The other possible issue is that the eguile  based reports (like the Tax
> Invoice one) may not be handling non-ascii characters properly.
>
> That would be a problem with the code and not something the end user could
> remedy unfortunately.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
In Character Viewer, look up the rupee symbol via a search. Click the glyph for it in the middle pane. You’ll then see a list of font variations on the bottom right. As you click each one, at the top right you’ll get an enlarged version and just below that, you’ll see the name of the font it belongs to.