[GNC] Copy a month's budget

Patrick-3
Hello,

I recently started using GnuCash. Is there a way to copy one month's budget
to the next month? I have a budget with a large number of entries, and
copying each entry individually is somewhat cumbersome.

Any help is appeciated.

Regards,
Patrick

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Andre Powell-2
Patrick,
I made a template and under the Budget menu just make a duplicate/copy as
needed (my accounting period is quarterly and the budgets are every two
weeks).

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, 10:34 PM Patrick <[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently started using GnuCash. Is there a way to copy one month's budget
> to the next month? I have a budget with a large number of entries, and
> copying each entry individually is somewhat cumbersome.
>
> Any help is appeciated.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Patrick-3
Andre,

Thank you for the response. For each two-week period within the quarter,
did you just have to copy the budget entries from each column to the next?
That is what I would like to avoid, if possible.

I would like to use one budget so that it is easy to see carryover from one
budget period to the next. If I create a new budget for each quarter, I
don't know of a way to get cumulative surplus/deficit for each budget
category from the previous quarter.

Thanks,
Patrick

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andre Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick,
> I made a template and under the Budget menu just make a duplicate/copy as
> needed (my accounting period is quarterly and the budgets are every two
> weeks).
>

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, 10:34 PM Patrick <[hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently started using GnuCash. Is there a way to copy one month's
>> budget
>> to the next month? I have a budget with a large number of entries, and
>> copying each entry individually is somewhat cumbersome.
>>
>> Any help is appeciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Patrick

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Andre Powell-2
Patrick,
The method that I use for budgeting is well "old-fashioned". My salary is
paid every fifteen days and my wife once a month, hence the two-week setup,
and the quarterly view because in my prior career we managed our P&Ls
monthly but with quarterly plans so mentally I am kind of used to that way
of thinking (or maybe I don't  want to scroll so much).

When income comes in is when I actually use the budget to plan where the
money is going to go (a mixture of Dave Ramsey and YNAB). I use the
Bills/Invoice feature to keep track of the bills that need to be paid, but
they don't get paid until they are planned for.

For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
can set it up to see a period before and after your current account period
(mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover. I am always
striving for a balanced budget (move/spend less money to make sure that the
budget is balanced. But in theory, you could create a second report with a
longer view (perhaps yearly) to see your overall progress with the period
before.

I hope this helps.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andre,
>
> Thank you for the response. For each two-week period within the quarter,
> did you just have to copy the budget entries from each column to the next?
> That is what I would like to avoid, if possible.
>
> I would like to use one budget so that it is easy to see carryover from
> one budget period to the next. If I create a new budget for each quarter, I
> don't know of a way to get cumulative surplus/deficit for each budget
> category from the previous quarter.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andre Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Patrick,
>> I made a template and under the Budget menu just make a duplicate/copy as
>> needed (my accounting period is quarterly and the budgets are every two
>> weeks).
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, 10:34 PM Patrick <[hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I recently started using GnuCash. Is there a way to copy one month's
>>> budget
>>> to the next month? I have a budget with a large number of entries, and
>>> copying each entry individually is somewhat cumbersome.
>>>
>>> Any help is appeciated.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Patrick
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

Andre

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Patrick-3
Andre,

Thanks for the advice. This definitely gives me some possible alternatives
to consider.

I am not able to find a page that gives the etiquette rules for this
mailing list. Is top-posting preferred on this list? I noticed that some
people do and some don't.

Thanks,
Patrick

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:24 AM Andre Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick,
> The method that I use for budgeting is well "old-fashioned". My salary is
> paid every fifteen days and my wife once a month, hence the two-week setup,
> and the quarterly view because in my prior career we managed our P&Ls
> monthly but with quarterly plans so mentally I am kind of used to that way
> of thinking (or maybe I don't  want to scroll so much).
>
> When income comes in is when I actually use the budget to plan where the
> money is going to go (a mixture of Dave Ramsey and YNAB). I use the
> Bills/Invoice feature to keep track of the bills that need to be paid, but
> they don't get paid until they are planned for.
>
> For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
> can set it up to see a period before and after your current account period
> (mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover. I am always
> striving for a balanced budget (move/spend less money to make sure that the
> budget is balanced. But in theory, you could create a second report with a
> longer view (perhaps yearly) to see your overall progress with the period
> before.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Andre,
>>
>> Thank you for the response. For each two-week period within the quarter,
>> did you just have to copy the budget entries from each column to the next?
>> That is what I would like to avoid, if possible.
>>
>> I would like to use one budget so that it is easy to see carryover from
>> one budget period to the next. If I create a new budget for each quarter, I
>> don't know of a way to get cumulative surplus/deficit for each budget
>> category from the previous quarter.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 4:15 AM Andre Powell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Patrick,
>>> I made a template and under the Budget menu just make a duplicate/copy
>>> as needed (my accounting period is quarterly and the budgets are every two
>>> weeks).

> Andre

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Adrien Monteleone-2
Personal preference.

For example, depending on the nature of the conversation, (like for multiple points/questions to discuss) I’ll use in-line, but I usually use top posting, as in this case.

While I see it occasionally, bottom-posting is the least used in these parts as it means you have to scroll to read the reply.

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 11:08 AM, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Andre,
>
> Thanks for the advice. This definitely gives me some possible alternatives
> to consider.
>
> I am not able to find a page that gives the etiquette rules for this
> mailing list. Is top-posting preferred on this list? I noticed that some
> people do and some don't.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:24 AM Andre Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Patrick,
>> The method that I use for budgeting is well "old-fashioned". My salary is
>> paid every fifteen days and my wife once a month, hence the two-week setup,
>> and the quarterly view because in my prior career we managed our P&Ls
>> monthly but with quarterly plans so mentally I am kind of used to that way
>> of thinking (or maybe I don't  want to scroll so much).
>>
>> When income comes in is when I actually use the budget to plan where the
>> money is going to go (a mixture of Dave Ramsey and YNAB). I use the
>> Bills/Invoice feature to keep track of the bills that need to be paid, but
>> they don't get paid until they are planned for.
>>
>> For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
>> can set it up to see a period before and after your current account period
>> (mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover. I am always
>> striving for a balanced budget (move/spend less money to make sure that the
>> budget is balanced. But in theory, you could create a second report with a
>> longer view (perhaps yearly) to see your overall progress with the period
>> before.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Andre,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the response. For each two-week period within the quarter,
>>> did you just have to copy the budget entries from each column to the next?
>>> That is what I would like to avoid, if possible.
>>>
>>> I would like to use one budget so that it is easy to see carryover from
>>> one budget period to the next. If I create a new budget for each quarter, I
>>> don't know of a way to get cumulative surplus/deficit for each budget
>>> category from the previous quarter.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Patrick

>> --
>> Andre

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Patrick-3
Ok, thanks. Yes, I'd always appreciated that about top-posting - not having
to scroll to the bottom. I'd just recalled in the past having used mailing
lists that didn't allow it.

Thanks,
Patrick

>Personal preference.
>
>For example, depending on the nature of the conversation, (like for
multiple points/questions to discuss) I’ll use in-line, but I usually use
top posting, as in this case.

>While I see it occasionally, bottom-posting is the least used in these
parts as it means you have to scroll to read the reply.

>Regards,
>Adrien
>
>> On Jan 11, 2019, at 11:08 AM, Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Andre,
>>
>> Thanks for the advice. This definitely gives me some possible
alternatives

>> to consider.
>>
>> I am not able to find a page that gives the etiquette rules for this
>> mailing list. Is top-posting preferred on this list? I noticed that some
>> people do and some don't.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:24 AM Andre Powell <apowell656 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Patrick,
>>> The method that I use for budgeting is well "old-fashioned". My salary
is
>>> paid every fifteen days and my wife once a month, hence the two-week
setup,
>>> and the quarterly view because in my prior career we managed our P&Ls
>>> monthly but with quarterly plans so mentally I am kind of used to that
way
>>> of thinking (or maybe I don't  want to scroll so much).
>>>
>>> When income comes in is when I actually use the budget to plan where the
>>> money is going to go (a mixture of Dave Ramsey and YNAB). I use the
>>> Bills/Invoice feature to keep track of the bills that need to be paid,
but
>>> they don't get paid until they are planned for.
>>>
>>> For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
>>> can set it up to see a period before and after your current account
period
>>> (mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover. I am
always
>>> striving for a balanced budget (move/spend less money to make sure that
the
>>> budget is balanced. But in theory, you could create a second report
with a
>>> longer view (perhaps yearly) to see your overall progress with the
period
>>> before.
>>>
>>> I hope this helps.

quarter, I

every two

and

>>> --
>>> Andre

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Liz
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 13:17:33 -0600
Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personal preference.
>
> For example, depending on the nature of the conversation, (like for
> multiple points/questions to discuss) I’ll use in-line, but I usually
> use top posting, as in this case.
>
> While I see it occasionally, bottom-posting is the least used in
> these parts as it means you have to scroll to read the reply.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

There is another version again, where you remove all the text which is
unneeded and type at the bottom.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Tommy Trussell
On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 11:36 PM Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 13:17:33 -0600
> Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > While I see it occasionally, bottom-posting is the least used in
> > these parts as it means you have to scroll to read the reply.
>
> There is another version again, where you remove all the text which is
> unneeded and type at the bottom.

In my opinion, trimming the quotations of the discussion, then adding
wisdom (such as it may be) to the end of the thread is the kindest of all,
because (1) everyone knows exactly what points are being addressed, and (2)
It encourages folks to consider carefully what has already been written
before posting.

It does take a lot more effort, though, and often requires folks to learn
to use less-obvious parts of the tools they're using to post to the list.

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Colin Law
On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 at 15:44, Tommy Trussell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In my opinion, trimming the quotations of the discussion, then adding
> wisdom (such as it may be) to the end of the thread is the kindest of all,
> because (1) everyone knows exactly what points are being addressed, and (2)
> It encourages folks to consider carefully what has already been written
> before posting.

Absolutely.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Stephen M. Butler
I have always enjoyed the following example of top posting:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

============

But, then, there are good reasons to use each style at the appropriate
place.

--Steve

On 1/11/19 9:32 PM, Liz wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 13:17:33 -0600
> Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Personal preference.
>>
>> For example, depending on the nature of the conversation, (like for
>> multiple points/questions to discuss) I’ll use in-line, but I usually
>> use top posting, as in this case.
>>
>> While I see it occasionally, bottom-posting is the least used in
>> these parts as it means you have to scroll to read the reply.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
> There is another version again, where you remove all the text which is
> unneeded and type at the bottom.
>
> Liz

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Adrien Monteleone-2
Un-quoted top posting without nested levels is certainly quite the pain, I agree. I’ve seen some examples of it here lately.

> On Jan 12, 2019, at 10:28 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have always enjoyed the following example of top posting:
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> ============
>
> But, then, there are good reasons to use each style at the appropriate
> place.
>
> --Steve

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

GnuCash - User mailing list
I’ve said it before: I dislike bottom posting because I have to scroll through everything that has been written on the thread just to get to the single pithy comment that is new. This is especially annoying when attempting to read email on a small screen. I will admit that I prefer bottom posting if I am trying to take in a full thread at the tail end. However, that only rarely occurs, since I prefer to use my email program’s sorting abilities to present to me the pieces in order.

WRT to Stephen’s comment, I’ll note that as technology changes, so too do modes of processing information. For example, there is growing evidence that hypertext document formats fundamentally change how the human brain processes information, making it more difficult for individuals to focus on single subjects for long periods of time. And imagine how different your writing process has changed with the advent of digital technologies, as opposed to when you had to write everything down on paper before you sat down at a manual typewriter to create the final copy to turn in. My point is that “Because that’s how we always did it” isn’t necessarily reason to continue following a protocol.

David

> On Jan 12, 2019, at 11:06 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Un-quoted top posting without nested levels is certainly quite the pain, I agree. I’ve seen some examples of it here lately.
>
>> On Jan 12, 2019, at 10:28 AM, Stephen M. Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have always enjoyed the following example of top posting:
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>> A: Top-posting.
>> Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
>>
>> ============
>>
>> But, then, there are good reasons to use each style at the appropriate
>> place.
>>
>> --Steve

Liz

Re: [GNC] Off-topic "how the brain works"

Liz
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 01:18:54 +0530
"David T. via gnucash-user" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> WRT to Stephen’s comment, I’ll note that as technology changes, so
> too do modes of processing information. For example, there is growing
> evidence that hypertext document formats fundamentally change how the
> human brain processes information, making it more difficult for
> individuals to focus on single subjects for long periods of time. And
> imagine how different your writing process has changed with the
> advent of digital technologies, as opposed to when you had to write
> everything down on paper before you sat down at a manual typewriter
> to create the final copy to turn in. My point is that “Because that’s
> how we always did it” isn’t necessarily reason to continue following
> a protocol.

This is fascinating to me. When I did my primary degrees we were taught
a number of biological things as inviolate processes. Almost 40 years
later doing a Masters I learnt that things had changed in the meantime,
and what was unchangeable was now fluid, but my peer professionals are
often stuck back in the disproven teachings of last century.

Liz

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Jim Passmore
I don't think the original question has been addressed--did I miss the
answer?  I understood the question to be "is there  a way to copy an entire
column of budget values?"  Whether it's a month at a time, in a 12 month
period, or two weeks at a time in a quarter, if you have several expense
account parents, with sub-accounts underneath, it takes a while to copy the
entire column one entry at a time [by memory it's arrow down, return, type
value, return...and repeat for each account].  Surely there should be a way
to duplicate a column?

--

*Jim Passmore*

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:09 PM Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Andre,
>
> Thanks for the advice. This definitely gives me some possible alternatives
> to consider.
>
> I am not able to find a page that gives the etiquette rules for this
> mailing list. Is top-posting preferred on this list? I noticed that some
> people do and some don't.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:24 AM Andre Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Patrick,
> > The method that I use for budgeting is well "old-fashioned". My salary is
> > paid every fifteen days and my wife once a month, hence the two-week
> setup,
> > and the quarterly view because in my prior career we managed our P&Ls
> > monthly but with quarterly plans so mentally I am kind of used to that
> way
> > of thinking (or maybe I don't  want to scroll so much).
> >
> > When income comes in is when I actually use the budget to plan where the
> > money is going to go (a mixture of Dave Ramsey and YNAB). I use the
> > Bills/Invoice feature to keep track of the bills that need to be paid,
> but
> > they don't get paid until they are planned for.
> >
> > For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
> > can set it up to see a period before and after your current account
> period
> > (mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover. I am
> always
> > striving for a balanced budget (move/spend less money to make sure that
> the
> > budget is balanced. But in theory, you could create a second report with
> > longer view (perhaps yearly) to see your overall progress with the period
> > before.
> >
> > I hope this helps.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Andre,
> >>
> >> Thank you for the response. For each two-week period within the quarter,
> >> did you just have to copy the budget entries from each column to the
> next?
> >> That is what I would like to avoid, if possible.
> >>
> >> I would like to use one budget so that it is easy to see carryover from
> >> one budget period to the next. If I create a new budget for each
> quarter, I
> >> don't know of a way to get cumulative surplus/deficit for each budget
> >> category from the previous quarter.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Patrick

> two

> > --
> > Andre

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Patrick-3
Hello,

Thank you for the response. You are correct that that was the original
question. As far as I know, no one has yet offered a solution. Someone did
offer an alternative approach, but it would still be helpful for me if
there is a way to copy the entire column without doing it one entry at a
time, as you described.

Regards,
Patrick

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 6:52 PM Jim Passmore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't think the original question has been addressed--did I miss the
> answer?  I understood the question to be "is there  a way to copy an entire
> column of budget values?"  Whether it's a month at a time, in a 12 month
> period, or two weeks at a time in a quarter, if you have several expense
> account parents, with sub-accounts underneath, it takes a while to copy the
> entire column one entry at a time [by memory it's arrow down, return, type
> value, return...and repeat for each account].  Surely there should be a way
> to duplicate a column?
>
> --
>
> *Jim Passmore*
>

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:09 PM Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Andre,
>>
>> Thanks for the advice. This definitely gives me some possible alternatives
>> to consider.
>>
>> I am not able to find a page that gives the etiquette rules for this
>> mailing list. Is top-posting preferred on this list? I noticed that some
>> people do and some don't.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Patrick
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:24 AM Andre Powell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Patrick,
>> > The method that I use for budgeting is well "old-fashioned". My salary
>> is
>> > paid every fifteen days and my wife once a month, hence the two-week
>> setup,
>> > and the quarterly view because in my prior career we managed our P&Ls
>> > monthly but with quarterly plans so mentally I am kind of used to that
>> way
>> > of thinking (or maybe I don't  want to scroll so much).
>> >
>> > When income comes in is when I actually use the budget to plan where the
>> > money is going to go (a mixture of Dave Ramsey and YNAB). I use the
>> > Bills/Invoice feature to keep track of the bills that need to be paid,
>> but
>> > they don't get paid until they are planned for.
>> >
>> > For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
>> > can set it up to see a period before and after your current account
>> period
>> > (mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover. I am
>> always
>> > striving for a balanced budget (move/spend less money to make sure that
>> the
>> > budget is balanced. But in theory, you could create a second report
>> with a
>> > longer view (perhaps yearly) to see your overall progress with the
>> period
>> > before.
>> >
>> > I hope this helps.

>> quarter,
>> next?

>> quarter, I

>> every two

>> and

>> > --
>> > Andre

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Patrick-3
> For monitoring purposes, I use the Budget Report to do exactly that. You
> can set it up to see a period before and after your current account period
> (mine being set at a quarter), which will show your carryover.

I was hoping to get clarification on what exactly you meant by "carryover".

As an example, say I have a budget for each quarter and the budget has
a monthly budget period. Then I budget for two expense accounts - one
for food of $100 and one for rent of $200.  Say that in Jan, the
actual food spending was $30 under (i.e. I spent $70), and the actual
rent spending was $25 under (i.e. I spent $175). Then, for Feb, I
spent exactly $100 on food and exactly $200 on rent, and I did the
same in March. When I create my new budget for the next quarter, is
there a way to show in the new budget that I have $55 in excess left
over from my under-spending in Jan?

Thanks,
Patrick

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:24 PM Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, thanks. Yes, I'd always appreciated that about top-posting - not
> having to scroll to the bottom. I'd just recalled in the past having used
> mailing lists that didn't allow it.
>
> Thanks,
> Patrick
>
> >Personal preference.
> >
> >For example, depending on the nature of the conversation, (like for
> multiple points/questions to discuss) I’ll use in-line, but I usually use
> top posting, as in this case.
> >
> >While I see it occasionally, bottom-posting is the least used in these
> parts as it means you have to scroll to read the reply.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Adrien
> >
> >> On Jan 11, 2019, at 11:08 AM, Patrick <plafratt at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Andre,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the advice. This definitely gives me some possible
> alternatives
> >> to consider.
> >>
> >> I am not able to find a page that gives the etiquette rules for this
> >> mailing list. Is top-posting preferred on this list? I noticed that some
> >> people do and some don't.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Patrick

> is
> setup,
> way

> the
> but

> You
> period
> always
> that the
> with a
> period

> quarter,
> next?

> from
> quarter, I

> duplicate/copy
> every two

> and

Re: [GNC] Copy a month's budget

Andre Powell-2
With the budget report, you have to select the following (under report
options) to make this work:'Include collapsed periods before selected',
'Show Budget', 'Show Actual', 'Show Difference', and 'Show Column with
Totals'.

I actually force myself to look at the current period (quarter), current
year and prior year on almost all of my reports to get an idea of how I am
trending. I set up a multicolumn report that does a bang-up job of helping
to look at the right things to evaluate if I am closer to my goals.

I hope this helps, and furthermore gives you a good path for your setup.

Andre