[GNC] Chromebooks

123

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Adrien Monteleone-2
Ideally, one should be able to choose a repository with a more up to date version so you don’t have to build. (such as sid)

If I had the hardware to test, I’d go through the build and add the recipe to the wiki, but alas...(anyone?)

But note, you can install flatpak and use that version as well.

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 10:19:51 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> thanks, unfortunately, also get the message, "error while installing"
>
> OK, it looks like *someone* needs to build a newer version of GnuCash under
> ChromeOS OR really under the version of Debian used by ChromeOS or possibly a
> version of Ubuntu that is binary compatible with the version of Debian used by
> ChromeOS.  *I* *have* VMs running Ubuntu 14.04 and could probably create VMs
> running 16.04 or even 18.04, but I have no clue which (if any) are binary
> compatible with ChromeOS...  I don't have the wherewithall to install Debian
> itself (I have dialup Internet so I cannot do any sort of network install -- I
> do have a local repo for Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, and 18.04 on a removable disk
> that I sneakernet to someplace to rsync it up to date from time to time).
>
> The *ideal* option would be to build from sources on the chromebook itself.  I
> guess that would be possible, just a bit non-trivial.
>
> Is there any way to get a more detailed message than "error while installing"?
> Eg. which dependencies are missing, etc.  It *could* be possible to hunt down
> additional (missing) packages and install them.  Or something like that.
>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html

> Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Robert Heller
At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 13:04:22 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I try and type the following at the command line: sudo apt-cache showpkg
> gnucash
>
> I get:
>
> ERROR: Unknown command:  SUDO

Did you type sudo or SUDO.  It makes a difference!

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Robert Heller
At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 13:47:05 -0500 Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ideally, one should be able to choose a repository with a more up to date
> version so you don't have to build. (such as sid)

There could (will) be issues with dependencies...

> If I had the hardware to test, I'd go through the build and add the recipe
> to the wiki, but alas...(anyone?)

I expect a VM running an appropriate version of Debian or Ubuntu would work to
build a viable .deb file or even a binary .tar.bz2 file, that could be
dropped / unpacked into /usr/local/ or /opt/, etc.

> But note, you can install flatpak and use that version as well.

Assuming there aren't dependencies issues...

> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Oct 7, 2018, at 1:04 PM, Robert Heller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 10:19:51 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> thanks, unfortunately, also get the message, "error while installing"
> >
> > OK, it looks like *someone* needs to build a newer version of GnuCash under
> > ChromeOS OR really under the version of Debian used by ChromeOS or possibly a
> > version of Ubuntu that is binary compatible with the version of Debian used by
> > ChromeOS.  *I* *have* VMs running Ubuntu 14.04 and could probably create VMs
> > running 16.04 or even 18.04, but I have no clue which (if any) are binary
> > compatible with ChromeOS...  I don't have the wherewithall to install Debian
> > itself (I have dialup Internet so I cannot do any sort of network install -- I
> > do have a local repo for Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, and 18.04 on a removable disk
> > that I sneakernet to someplace to rsync it up to date from time to time).
> >
> > The *ideal* option would be to build from sources on the chromebook itself.  I
> > guess that would be possible, just a bit non-trivial.
> >
> > Is there any way to get a more detailed message than "error while installing"?
> > Eg. which dependencies are missing, etc.  It *could* be possible to hunt down
> > additional (missing) packages and install them.  Or something like that.
> >

> >> --
> >> Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-User-f1415819.html
> >>

> > --
> > Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
> > Deepwoods Software        -- Custom Software Services
> > http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Linux Administration Services
> > [hidden email]       -- Webhosting Services

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
I typed sudo, all lower case. When it reports the error message, it
capitalizes that word.

I haven't had a chance to try simply typing "su", about to board a flight at
dulles.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Kenneth Schneider
Be sure that you use ‘su -‘ so that you use root’s login environment, it does make a difference.

Ken Schneider

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 4:06 PM, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I typed sudo, all lower case. When it reports the error message, it
> capitalizes that word.
>
> I haven't had a chance to try simply typing "su", about to board a flight at
> dulles.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
Adrien... finally got some time this evening to re-visit this...

1. I was able to follow your instructions in your post, and ran the various
command lines.

2. However, after successfully running each of your lines, I am still left
with a version of Gnucash showing as being 2.6.15-1 which of course is not
compatible with my GnuCash data files.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2018 23:03:43 CEST schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> This link gives some info on flatpaks as well:
> https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/19/install-linux-applications-chrome-> os/
>
> Note, ChromeOS is using the Debian9 Stretch repos, so if you just use
> apt-get you won’t get the latest GnuCash version.
>
> You’ll either need a .deb from a PPA (or build it yourself) or try the
> flatpak. (not sure if Geert has started packaging this yet for 3.3)

Wrt flatpak, I have created nightly build scripts but I don't have access to
the nightly build server. So it's now up to Derek to complete the setup.

I am not involved (yet) with the gnucash flatpak on flathub. I first want our
own nightly builds to work properly.

And there are still a few issues to sort out on my nightly scripts:
- it can't do online quotes yet
- I have added the documentation in the flatpak but it probably won't display
yet because yelp isn't packaged.

Those will be addressed later.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
So before I go and install flatpak, does anyone know what version of GnuCash
is listed there (it doesn't say when I pull it up), or does it just pull up
whatever is the current version at gnucash.org?

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash
<https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash>

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Colin Law
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 14:15, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So before I go and install flatpak, does anyone know what version of GnuCash
> is listed there (it doesn't say when I pull it up), or does it just pull up
> whatever is the current version at gnucash.org?

It was 3.something when I tried it a couple of months ago.  3.1 I think.

Colin

> https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash
> <https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash>

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
Fantastic, I'll give a whirl this evening, with my fingers, toes and
everything else crossed!!!!

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> writes:

> Wrt flatpak, I have created nightly build scripts but I don't have access to
> the nightly build server. So it's now up to Derek to complete the setup.

I will try to make some time to work on this; I'm sitting on a plane
right now.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
Btw, last night I heard from the president of crossover, a product of
codeweavers, who was interested in possibly adding gnucash to their list of
compatible programs (it allows the running of window based programs on
chrome books). Fyi and fwiw.

Happy to forward his contact information to anyone who wants 2 encourage his
interest or lend assistance.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Paul Kinzelman
I wanted to suggest to those of you working on this to keep track of
what you did and produce a 'howto' when you get done to help
others who want to accomplish this.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
*So here's where I'm at...

1. I previously activated Linux on the Google Pixel Chromebook without any
problem at all.

2. This evening I had no problem installing flatpak.  I first entered at the
terminal prompt:

sudo apt-get install flatpak

then I entered...

sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub
https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

I restarted the Chromebook

3. Per the instructions on the flathub site, to install GnuCash, I entered
at the terminal prompt:

flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash

It started installing just fine, and then I would get the message:  "While
pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86-64/3.28 from remote flathub socket
I/O timed out

I then re-ran it again about 4 or 5 times, each time got the above error
message, but each time more was installed, until finally, it appeared the
install was complete without generating the above error message, but now I
get a different error message...

GDBus.Error:org.free desktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied:Flatpak system
operation Deploy not allowed for user*

Here's a cut and paste of the actual text:

stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub

Receiving delta parts: 0/10 215.4 kB/s 14.0 MB/268.4 MB 19 minutes 41
seconds remaining
error: While pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from remote
flathub: Socket I/O timed out
stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub

Receiving delta parts: 0/10 253.1 kB/s 15.7 MB/268.4 MB 16 minutes 38
seconds remaining
error: While pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from remote
flathub: Socket I/O timed out
stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub

Receiving delta parts: 1/10 1.0 MB/s 94.9 MB/268.4 MB 2 minutes 48 seconds
remaining
error: While pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from remote
flathub: Socket I/O timed out
stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub

Receiving delta parts: 8/10 2.1 MB/s 192.5 MB/266.2 MB 35 seconds remaining
error: While pulling runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from remote
flathub: Socket I/O timed out
stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub

10 delta parts, 6 loose fetched; 47133 KiB transferred in 8 seconds
error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Flatpak system
operation Deploy not allowed for user
stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
(org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub

1 metadata, 0 content objects fetched; 569 B transferred in 5 seconds
error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Flatpak system
operation Deploy not allowed for user
stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ ^C

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Adrien Monteleone-2
Perhaps someone more familiar with flatpak can chime in, but my suspicion is a permissions issue either with your user not belonging to a particular group (possibly there is a flatpak group) or the group in question itself doesn’t have appropriate permissions.

I’d investigate along those lines first.

The I/O socket problem I’d think had something to do with your internet connection or Flathub itself.

> [...]
> Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
> (org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
> Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
> Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub
>
> 10 delta parts, 6 loose fetched; 47133 KiB transferred in 8 seconds
> error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Flatpak system
> operation Deploy not allowed for user
> stephenrmiller@penguin:~$ flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
> Required runtime for org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable
> (org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28) is not installed, searching...
> Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
> Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28 from flathub
>
> 1 metadata, 0 content objects fetched; 569 B transferred in 5 seconds
> error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Flatpak system

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Colin Law
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 05:36, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash

I think you may need to use sudo with that, at least that is what I
did on Ubuntu

> error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Flatpak system
> operation Deploy not allowed for user

Due to not using sudo

Colin

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 11 oktober 2018 09:18:47 CEST schreef Colin Law:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 at 05:36, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash
>
> I think you may need to use sudo with that, at least that is what I
> did on Ubuntu

> > error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Flatpak system
> > operation Deploy not allowed for user
>
> Due to not using sudo

The alternative is to install for the user only instead of system wide.
Flatpak has a command line switch for that:

flatpak install --user flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
Colin... It's 2:47 am and the neighborhood around Ocean Beach in San
Francisco just woke up to a scream of delight [from me]... I did what you
suggested, and it runs perfectly (so far, at least for the last few minutes
of my clicking around after I opened my saved data file).  It installed
Version: 3.2
Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24)
Finance::Quote: -

Much thanks to you and everyone else who contributed on this thread, to get
GnuCash up and running on Google's Pixel Chromebook. I'll report back in the
next day or so, any issues, and a succinct summary of my steps.

Sincere thank you.

Steve

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Geert Janssens-4
Op donderdag 11 oktober 2018 11:54:16 CEST schreef randix:

> Colin... It's 2:47 am and the neighborhood around Ocean Beach in San
> Francisco just woke up to a scream of delight [from me]... I did what you
> suggested, and it runs perfectly (so far, at least for the last few minutes
> of my clicking around after I opened my saved data file).  It installed
> Version: 3.2
> Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24)
> Finance::Quote: -
>
> Much thanks to you and everyone else who contributed on this thread, to get
> GnuCash up and running on Google's Pixel Chromebook. I'll report back in the
> next day or so, any issues, and a succinct summary of my steps.
>
> Sincere thank you.
>
> Steve

Ah, great!

Another platform conquered by gnucash :D (thanks to flatpak this time)

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
This post was updated on .
An update and recap...

I purchased a Google Pixel Chromebook ($999).

I activated the Linux option on the Chromebook by following this link (it
specifically used the Google Pixel Chromebook as their example):

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-install-linux-apps-your-chromebook

The activation was simple and without any issues.  If one has a chromebook
other than the one mentioned above and in the article, I make zero promises
re your success…[that’s a disclaimer].

Prior to purchasing the Chromebook, I was using a Dell XPS 13 with GnuCash
3.3 installed, Windows 10.  Although I could get an older version of GnuCash
linux installed, it did not look good, and more importantly, my 3.3 GnuCash
files were not compatible with the older version. I was desperate (my XPS
laptop had just been stolen, and I had opted to go for the Chromebook
because of the linux support which I assumed would work with GnuCash).

I started a thread on the GnuCash user site… admittedly in desperation.
Although I had extensive backups of my GnuCash data and supplementary files,
that did me little good if I could not get the program installed.

http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNC-Chromebooks-td4704359.html

If you read the thread (ton of posts), you will see I got all of kinds
of assistance and suggestions, in addition to private replies that many
users were kind enough to send me.

Btw, using the product “Crossover” which allows Window programs to run on
Linux, did not work for me, eg for GnuCash.

To cut to the chase, after many dead ends, it was suggested to me to try
flathub…

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash

I first entered at the terminal prompt:

sudo apt-get install flatpak

then I entered...

sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub
https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

I restarted the Chromebook

Per the instructions on the flathub site, to install GnuCash, I entered at
the terminal prompt:

flatpak install flathub org.gnucash.GnuCash

but that did not work. Colin Law, a member on the GnuCash user site, who is
now on my Christmas list, suggested that I needed to add “sudo”, without the
quotes, prior to the above line.  I did and it worked perfectly.

It installed:
Version: 3.2
Build ID: 3.2+ (2018-06-24)
Finance::Quote: -

I’ve been using it now for several weeks, and I am so grateful I have it up
and running.  I have encountered a few issues which I’ve not yet had time to
investigate, but I’m so grateful to have the basic program up and running,
it’s the least of my concerns.  Those issues include occasional issues when
I go and reconcile after running aqbanking, retrieving prices, and not
having time to figure out where to place the file to customize the colors.
But all in all, I’m very pleased and so, so relieved.

I do understand that in the next Chrome OS release or 2, they will be adding
more support to the linux system, to make it even easier to work with, so I
look forward to that.

Again, much thanks to everyone who helped me out.  Seems like only yesterday
when I bought 4 6-packs of Stella, and spent days manually transferring over
all of my transactions from Quicken… ah, to be young again :)

Hope the above summary is of some use.

123