[GNC] Chromebooks

123

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Robert Heller
At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 04:51:42 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I think I'm getting closer... after some more research and exploring...
>
> 1. I have the latest Google Pixel Chromebook which does support the Linux
> option
>
> 2. With the help of the following recent article (different from what I
> posted earlier), it was quite simple to turn the Linux option ON.
>
> https://www.androidcentral.com/how-install-linux-apps-your-chromebook
> <https://www.androidcentral.com/how-install-linux-apps-your-chromebook>
>
> 3. If you refer to the article, I've now reached the point where it says
> "Download and Install an application"
>
> *4. I went to www.gnucash.org and under "Download GnuCash 3.3" it lists
> Linux and gives 2 options from which to download, "Source" and "via
> distribution". I chose "source" and it downloaded, gnucash-docs-3.3.tar.gz.
>
> 4a. [QUESTION] Is that the right file for me to download?

Only if you have also installed all of the build tools (compilers, binutils)
and -dev dependencies (various lib*-dev packages) and then plan on building it
(./configure; make; sudo make install).

> 4b. [QUESTION] The final instructions from the article in #5 below are very
> clear, but how do I extract/decompress the downloaded file in "4a." above on
> my Chromebook, and will it create one file with a "deb" extension?*

Not directly.

> 5. These are the article instructions for the remaining steps:
>
> /Once the installation file is downloaded, open the File browser.
> Click Downloads.
> Copy and paste the .deb installation file to the Linux files folder.
>
> Click Linux files
> Right click or two finger tap on the trackpad while your pointer hovers over
> the file name.
> Click Install with Linux (Beta).
> The program will install, and when it's done, you can open it from the app
> drawer. That's it!/
>
> Thanks for your assistance, again...

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Robert Heller
At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 06:37:03 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, so I downloaded an app that decompresses on a chromebook the tar.bz file
> I downloaded, but there's a long list of files and none of them end in
> ".deb" which I understand is the Linux installation file, so obviously (?) I
> downloaded the wrong one... can you point me to what I should have
> downloaded?

You downloaded the source.  Now you need to compile it...  The .deb file is
not on the gnucash.org site.  A newer version might be available in another
Debian-ish repo (eg Ubuntu or a PPA).

> [...]
> hi.po
> hu.po
> it.po
> ja.po
> kn.po
> [hidden email]
> kok.po
> ko.po
> ks.po
> lt.po
> lv.po
> mai.po
> Makevars
> [hidden email]
> mni.po
> mr.po
> nb.po
> ne.po
> nl.po
> pl.po
> POTFILES.in
> POTFILES.skip
> pt_BR.po
> pt.po
> README
> ro.po
> ru.po
> rw.po
> sk.po
> sr.po
> sv.po
> ta.po
> te.po
> tr.po
> uk.po
> ur.po
> vi.po
> zh_CN.po
> zh_TW.po
> test-templates
> CMakeLists.txt
> Makefile.decl
> util
> CMakeLists.txt
> elegant-sort.pl
> gnc-vcs-info
> guile.c
> AUTHORS
> ChangeLog
> ChangeLog.1999
> ChangeLog.2000
> ChangeLog.2001
> ChangeLog.2002
> ChangeLog.2003
> ChangeLog.2004
> ChangeLog.2005
> ChangeLog.2006
> ChangeLog.2007
> ChangeLog.2008
> ChangeLog.2009
> ChangeLog.2010
> ChangeLog.2011
> ChangeLog.2012
> ChangeLog.2013
> ChangeLog.2014
> ChangeLog.2015
> ChangeLog.2016
> ChangeLog.2017
> CMakeLists.txt
> DOCUMENTERS
> HACKING
> LICENSE
> NEWS
> README
> README.dependencies

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System

Jim Passmore
Looks like Croutini installs a Debian container by default, so if you
search debian.org for gnucash and sid (the cutting edge, unstable Debian
release) you find gnucash 3.3 [1], or you can find version 2.6 in the
stable branch [2].  Near the bottom of those pages are links to download
pages, so click the amd64 link, and pick your closest download location.  I
would just go for broke on the first try and use the 3.3 link to see what
happens.  After you get the deb file, go back to your instructions.

Also, if it doesn't work you might try one of the earlier releases.  If you
don't want to go all the way back to 2.6, try Ubuntu packages (closely
derived from Debian) such as this v. 3.2. [3].

Hope you find one that works!
Jim

[1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome/gnucash
[2] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnucash
[3] https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnucash

--
*Jim Passmore*

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 8:24 AM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You have downloaded the source files, to build the software from source is
> not a trivial task.  Do you definitely need 3.3?  If not then try selecting
> the Distribution Version and see what that gives you.
>
> Colin
>
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 12:40, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ok, so I downloaded an app that decompresses on a chromebook the tar.bz
> > file
> > I downloaded, but there's a long list of files and none of them end in
> > ".deb" which I understand is the Linux installation file, so obviously
> (?)
> > downloaded the wrong one... can you point me to what I should have
> [...]

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
Colin... I'm so desperate to get gnucash back, I'll take the 1950
version!!!!!

When I go to gnucash.org and click on the distributable option, all I get
are options for windows and mac. For Linux it says, what I am printing
below. Obviously I did not get a "linux distribution" I simply turned it on
in chromebooks.  When I go to look at older versions, I don't see a linux
install option.  Not only do I not have a desire to build it from scratch, I
wouldn't know where to start.

Is there no place I can download a file apparently with a "deb" extension
for a linux install?????????  I don't care what version it is.  Or am I
missing something (again)???

----------------
Linux
Most linux distributions come bundled with a version of GnuCash, though it's
not always the most recent version and it may not have been installed by
default. Still it is recommended to use the GnuCash version that comes with
your distribution.

Below are ways to install GnuCash on some of the more popular distributions:

Fedora: Fedora users can install GnuCash through
System->Administration->Add/Remove Software (Gnome) or
Applications->System->Software Management (KDE).
Mandriva: Mandriva users can install GnuCash through the Software Management
in the Mandriva Linux Control Center.
Redhat/Centos: Redhat and CentOS don't have GnuCash in their repositories by
default. It can be installed however from the third-party Epel repository.
For more details on configuring this additional software repository for your
setup, see Epel's wiki page.
Solus: Solus users can install GnuCash through the Software Center (Office
Software -> Financial Software -> gnucash).
Ubuntu: Ubuntu users can install GnuCash through the Software Center. This
will install GnuCash under the Office category in the Applications menu.
If your distro doesn't ship with GnuCash or you wish to install a different
version than it ships with, you could try to build GnuCash directly from the
source code. The GnuCash wiki has guidelines for several distributions.

Source code
bzip2 compressed tarball for GnuCash 3.3

Re: [GNC] Build of GitHub Clone Fails

Jim Passmore
Tried building 3.3, and found same thing.  Known bug from upstream.  Don't
know status of fix.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkit2gtk/+bug/1795901

--

*Jim Passmore*[hidden email]

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 8:01 AM Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This worked for initial build of v3.3 but today when trying to build from
> lates clone the build fails at:
>
> [ 60%] Building C object
> gnucash/html/CMakeFiles/gncmod-html.dir/gnc-html-webkit2.c.o
> In file included from /usr/include/webkitgtk-4.0/webkit2/webkit2.h:54:0,
>                  from
> /media/Projects/Gnucash/gnucash/gnucash/html/gnc-html-webkit2.c:49:
> /usr/include/webkitgtk-4.0/webkit2/WebKitJavascriptResult.h:28:10: fatal
> error: jsc/jsc.h: No such file or directory
>  #include <jsc/jsc.h>
>
> I tried reinstalling webkitgtk-4.0 but still no luck.  Although this may
> not be a gnucash problem specifically I am wondering if anyone can suggest
> a solution so that I can complete the latest build?

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
thanks to some other replies, i have located some "deb" files, the 3.3 ones
didn't work (installation error), but i'm trying one for 2.6 and it says
"installation in progress" so we'll see what happens.

Re: [GNC] Build of GitHub Clone Fails

Roger Miskowicz
Thanks Jim, from your post I found that going back to previous versions
before compiling worked for me:

sudo apt-get install libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev=2.20.1-1
libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37=2.20.1-1 gir1.2-webkit2-4.0=2.20.1-1
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-dev=2.20.1-1 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0=2.20.1-1
libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18=2.20.1-1

At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 07:48:52 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Colin... I'm so desperate to get gnucash back, I'll take the 1950
> version!!!!!
>
> When I go to gnucash.org and click on the distributable option, all I get
> are options for windows and mac. For Linux it says, what I am printing
> below. Obviously I did not get a "linux distribution" I simply turned it on
> in chromebooks.  When I go to look at older versions, I don't see a linux
> install option.  Not only do I not have a desire to build it from scratch, I
> wouldn't know where to start.
>
> Is there no place I can download a file apparently with a "deb" extension
> for a linux install?????????  I don't care what version it is.  Or am I
> missing something (again)???

This is the deal: The gnucash.org site only has Mac and MS-Windows versions of
gnucash.org. In the Mac and MS-Windows there isn't any sort of OS supported
repository of software (except what Apple and Microsoft (or their "partners")
*sell* -- there isn't a group of people maintaining a collection of open
source software that can be installed with the OS's package management system
-- dpkg/apt-get for Debian flavored (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, and (appearently)
ChromOS), rpm/yum for RedHat flavors (Fedora, RHEL/CentOS, Mandrake, Suse,
etc.). Since ChromOS is based on Debian, you need a .deb file (this is the
binary built for a Debian flavored Linux and is something dpkg knows how to
deal with and it is what apt-get will snarf from a repository and pass onto
dpkg. (Appearently there are GUI / point-and-click wrappers for dpkg and/or
apt-get).

Many advanced / adventuresome Linux users will download the source and have
all kinds of fun (at the command line) with the likes of configure and make to
build gnucash from source, but it sounds like that is beyond your skill /
knowledge / comfort level. Otherwise most Linux users will either do

apt-get install gnucash
OR
yum install gnucash

Depending on the flavor of Linux they are using and this will install a
version of GnuCash that was built just for their flavor of Linux.  These
*binary* versions are built and maintained by the keepers of the Linux open
source repositories and are updated from time to time.  It does not appear
to be as easy to do this for ChromOS, but it appears to be *close*.  There
appears to be things you can do to hook into the base Debian or possibly a
Debian-derived repository (Ubuntu) and get a .deb file when can then be
installed on your Chromebook.  A little extra work, but it looks like it is
doable.

At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 08:12:14 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks to some other replies, i have located some "deb" files, the 3.3 ones
> didn't work (installation error), but i'm trying one for 2.6 and it says
> "installation in progress" so we'll see what happens.

The 3.3 ones probably want newer / different dependent libraries.  Such is
"normal" in the Linux world.  I'm still using 2.4.15 on my CentOS 6 machines
(really old library versions).  It does what I need and when I upgrade to
CentOS 7, I'll also upgrade to a newer GnuCash...

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
To bring the thread current...

I tried installing an amd64 deb file for version 3.3.2 and got an install
error message.

I tried installing an amd64 deb file for version 2.6.15-1 and was
successful, but unfortunately my data files are from 3.3 and are not
compatible, says i need version 2.6.19 or higher

I tried installing an amd64 ubuntu deb file for version 3.2-1 and got an
install error message.

So, I'm back to square 1.

fyi and fwiw

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Jim Passmore
Here is a 2.6.19.  Maybe this will work...

https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/gnucash

Jim Passmore
[hidden email]

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018, 11:05 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not good news.
>
> I was able to successfully install the 2.6.15 version of gnucash, but it
> is not compatible with my existing files; says it needs to be 2.6.19 or
> higher.
>
> I tried the other amd64 options, no go. i tried the Ubuntu amd64 option,
> but also got an installation error.
>

> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 9:18 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jim.  The 3.3 ones don't work, i get installation error.  but the
>> first 2.6 i tried says installation in progress although it's going really,
>> really slow.  fingers and toes crossed.  thanks much.  you're on my xmas
>> list if this works :)
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 8:44 AM Jim Passmore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like Croutini installs a Debian container by default, so if you
>>> search debian.org for gnucash and sid (the cutting edge, unstable
>>> Debian release) you find gnucash 3.3 [1], or you can find version 2.6 in
>>> the stable branch [2].  Near the bottom of those pages are links to
>>> download pages, so click the amd64 link, and pick your closest download
>>> location.  I would just go for broke on the first try and use the 3.3 link
>>> to see what happens.  After you get the deb file, go back to your
>>> instructions.
>>>
>>> Also, if it doesn't work you might try one of the earlier releases.  If
>>> you don't want to go all the way back to 2.6, try Ubuntu packages (closely
>>> derived from Debian) such as this v. 3.2. [3].
>>>
>>> Hope you find one that works!
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> [1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome/gnucash
>>> [2] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gnucash
>>> [3] https://packages.ubuntu.com/cosmic/gnucash
>>>

>>> --
>>> *Jim Passmore*

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
thanks, unfortunately, also get the message, "error while installing"

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
Not willing to give up, so two (2) more questions...

1. So my data files are from 3.3, I can't use them in the version I was
finally able to install (2.6.15--says I need 2.6.19 or higher).  Question:
If I find another computer to install the current version of gnucash on, and
*export*the data from my data files, would I be able to *import* that export
file into 2.6.15?????  eg, is that a backdoor to get my data into an older
version that is not otherwise backward compatible?

2. I'm currently in DC (at Dulles, actually), on my way back to Vegas. Won't
know for an hour or 2, but may then be headed tonight to San Francisco to do
a new month project.  Is there anyone around Vegas or San Francisco who
might be interested in building (or whatever you do, beyond my expertise) a
current version of GnuCash that I can use on my Google Pixel Chromebook
using Linux?  If so, shoot me an email, [hidden email], give me an
estimate or ask me whatever you need to ask me to come up with how much
you'd do it for, etc.

Thanks!

Re: [GNC] Build of GitHub Clone Fails

Rob LaRose
I tried to build 3.3 yesterday and encountered the same issue.
Comparing WebKitJavascriptResult.h to the previous version there were only
two real differences.
I modified the file as follows:
     - Comment out:  #include <jsc/jsc.h>
     - Replace "WEBKIT_API JSCValue *"  with  "WEBKIT_API JSValueRef"

The build completed without any errors.
This is more of any ugly (and maybe dumb) workaround, but it did seem to
work.
It is probably safer to install the previous version of the library.

On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 10:45 AM Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jim, from your post I found that going back to previous versions
> before compiling worked for me:
>
> sudo apt-get install libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev=2.20.1-1
> libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37=2.20.1-1 gir1.2-webkit2-4.0=2.20.1-1
> libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-dev=2.20.1-1 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0=2.20.1-1
> libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18=2.20.1-1
>
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 8:49 AM Jim Passmore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Tried building 3.3, and found same thing.  Known bug from upstream.
> Don't
> > know status of fix.
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkit2gtk/+bug/1795901
> >

> > --
> >
> > *Jim Passmore*[hidden email]
> >

> > On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 8:01 AM Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> This worked for initial build of v3.3 but today when trying to build
> from
> >> lates clone the build fails at:
> >>
> >> [ 60%] Building C object
> >> gnucash/html/CMakeFiles/gncmod-html.dir/gnc-html-webkit2.c.o
> >> In file included from /usr/include/webkitgtk-4.0/webkit2/webkit2.h:54:0,
> >>                  from
> >> /media/Projects/Gnucash/gnucash/gnucash/html/gnc-html-webkit2.c:49:
> >> /usr/include/webkitgtk-4.0/webkit2/WebKitJavascriptResult.h:28:10: fatal
> >> error: jsc/jsc.h: No such file or directory
> >>  #include <jsc/jsc.h>
> >>
> >> I tried reinstalling webkitgtk-4.0 but still no luck.  Although this may
> >> not be a gnucash problem specifically I am wondering if anyone can
> suggest
> >> a solution so that I can complete the latest build?
> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

1. No, once your data files are in a newer version, you can’t go lower than 2.6.19. (2.6.21 is technically the last of 2.6.x if you can find it)

Have you tried a command line install?

Open a terminal on your Chromebook and try:

sudo apt-cache showpkg gnucash

That will report the info for the gnucash package in the Debian 9 repository to which you are linked. If it says ‘Versions: 2.6.19’ or higher, you should be good to proceed. (if lower, you’ll have to build)

First, make sure any previous versions are removed:

sudo apt-get purge gnucash

When that is done, then enter:

sudo apt-get autoremove

to clean up any unneeded stuff that got installed along with those old versions. (if you need them again, the next command will re-install them)

Then:

sudo apt-get install gnucash

That should complete successfully. (be sure to reply ‘y’ to proceed even if there are additional packages listed as those are dependencies gnucash needs)

If this doesn’t work, or you still can’t open your file for some reason, report back with any error messages.

2. Building isn’t terribly difficult, but you don’t need to. Earlier in the thread I replied with this link: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/19/install-linux-applications-chrome-os/

They have instructions for installing flatpak. (via command line)

From there, you can install the flatpak version which is I think currently at 3.2, but might be updated soon.

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 11:46 AM, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not willing to give up, so two (2) more questions...
>
> 1. So my data files are from 3.3, I can't use them in the version I was
> finally able to install (2.6.15--says I need 2.6.19 or higher).  Question:
> If I find another computer to install the current version of gnucash on, and
> *export*the data from my data files, would I be able to *import* that export
> file into 2.6.15?????  eg, is that a backdoor to get my data into an older
> version that is not otherwise backward compatible?
>
> 2. I'm currently in DC (at Dulles, actually), on my way back to Vegas. Won't
> know for an hour or 2, but may then be headed tonight to San Francisco to do
> a new month project.  Is there anyone around Vegas or San Francisco who
> might be interested in building (or whatever you do, beyond my expertise) a
> current version of GnuCash that I can use on my Google Pixel Chromebook
> using Linux?  If so, shoot me an email, [hidden email], give me an
> estimate or ask me whatever you need to ask me to come up with how much
> you'd do it for, etc.
>
> Thanks!

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
When I try and type the following at the command line: sudo apt-cache showpkg
gnucash

I get:

ERROR: Unknown command:  SUDO

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Robert Heller
At Sun, 7 Oct 2018 10:19:51 -0500 (CDT) randix <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks, unfortunately, also get the message, "error while installing"

OK, it looks like *someone* needs to build a newer version of GnuCash under
ChromeOS OR really under the version of Debian used by ChromeOS or possibly a
version of Ubuntu that is binary compatible with the version of Debian used by
ChromeOS.  *I* *have* VMs running Ubuntu 14.04 and could probably create VMs
running 16.04 or even 18.04, but I have no clue which (if any) are binary
compatible with ChromeOS...  I don't have the wherewithall to install Debian
itself (I have dialup Internet so I cannot do any sort of network install -- I
do have a local repo for Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, and 18.04 on a removable disk
that I sneakernet to someplace to rsync it up to date from time to time).

The *ideal* option would be to build from sources on the chromebook itself.  I
guess that would be possible, just a bit non-trivial.

Is there any way to get a more detailed message than "error while installing"?
Eg. which dependencies are missing, etc.  It *could* be possible to hunt down
additional (missing) packages and install them.  Or something like that.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

randix
"error while installing" is all it gives me, and it hits immediately after I
hit begin install.  as i said earlier, i did not get that message when i was
able to install 2.6.15 deb

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 11:04 AM, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I try and type the following at the command line: sudo apt-cache showpkg
> gnucash
>
> I get:
>
> ERROR: Unknown command:  SUDO

Can you run `su`?
It will ask for the root password and give you a root shell from which you can run the apt commands, meaning that you run each one without ’sudo’ in front.

Re: [GNC] Chromebooks

Did you read the link I sent?

It explains you might have to *first* set your Chromebook to either the Beta or Dev channels. (be sure to make a backup as if you want to revert to Stable, you’ll have to wipe the machine)

This might be why it isn’t working, unless John’s suggestion is successful.

Also, while the error output may not be correct, be certain you are not using caps as commands are case-sensitive. (the error reported that ’SUDO’ was unknown, not ’sudo’)

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 1:04 PM, randix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I try and type the following at the command line: sudo apt-cache showpkg
> gnucash
>
> I get:
>
> ERROR: Unknown command:  SUDO

123