[GNC] Changing account numbers?

Dan Rawson
   I have a VISA account with my bank where the number has changed (the
   bank replaced the card).  The latest downloaded transactions obviously
   have a different account ID in the OFX file; is there any way to
   persuade GnuCash to treat this a all part of the same account?
   Currently, if I try to import the OFX, the transaction matcher doesn't
   find anything . . .
   A scan through the doc/wiki/faq didn't turn up a solution :-(
   I can obviously set up a second account, but that's not ideal from my
   point of view, and it's not how the bank treats the account; all the
   transactions both before and after the card swap are part of one
   account as far as they are concerned.
   Thanks in advance . . .
   Dan

Re: [GNC] Changing account numbers?

David Carlson-4
Dan,

Some financial institutions separate the account number from the card
number so this issue does not come up.

It is fortunate,in a way, that your bank did it that way instead.  It makes
it a pain but relatively easy to fix in Gnucash.  I would enter a dummy
transaction in that register noting the date, old account number and new
account number, just for future reference when the details are getting
fuzzy in your memory.
Now create a backup of your data file and a new copy as well.  Open the
copy.
On the next OFX import GnuCash will ask you if you want use an existing
account or to create a new account.  Say yes to new account and let it
import the transactions, save the file.  Then delete the newly created
account.  You can either delete the transactions because you will import
them again in the next step, or you can let Gnucash move them to the old
account.

Repeat the OFX import.  Now, with no account matching the new account
number GnuCash will again ask whether to use an existing account or to
create a new account.  Now it is possible to match the old existing account
to the new OFX account number.  Complete importing the transactions.

Once you are happy with the results you can save the data file as your main
file so you do not use the copy again.

David Carlson

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 1:42 PM Dan Rawson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    I have a VISA account with my bank where the number has changed (the
>    bank replaced the card).  The latest downloaded transactions obviously
>    have a different account ID in the OFX file; is there any way to
>    persuade GnuCash to treat this a all part of the same account?
>    Currently, if I try to import the OFX, the transaction matcher doesn't
>    find anything . . .
>    A scan through the doc/wiki/faq didn't turn up a solution :-(
>    I can obviously set up a second account, but that's not ideal from my
>    point of view, and it's not how the bank treats the account; all the
>    transactions both before and after the card swap are part of one
>    account as far as they are concerned.
>    Thanks in advance . . .
>    Dan

Re: [GNC] Changing account numbers?

Dan Rawson
   David -
   Thanks - this worked like a charm.
   One note; when I imported the transactions into the new account (the
   first time), the account was created as a "Liability" type, rather than
   a "Credit Card" type (which is what all my other cards are).  Until I
   changed the type, I couldn't move the transactions to one of the other
   cards during account deletion; it only offered to move them to one of
   the "Liability" type accounts.
   Dan
   On 2/18/19 4:01 PM, David Carlson wrote:

[...]

   On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 1:42 PM Dan Rawson <[1][hidden email]>
   wrote:

[...]
     [4]https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

References

   1. mailto:[hidden email]
   2. mailto:[hidden email]
   3. https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
   4. https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists

Re: [GNC] Changing account numbers?

Dan

In the Account tree view, right click on the account and select Edit
Account.. You can then change the account number in the dialog which comes
up

Re: [GNC] Changing account numbers?

Christian Kluge
Am 20.02.2019 um 23:05 schrieb David Cousens:
> Dan
>
> In the Account tree view, right click on the account and select Edit
> Account.. You can then change the account number in the dialog which comes
> up
>
> David Cousens

If you’ve selected the account number column to be displayed you can
even double click on it and change it there.

Kind regards

Christian Kluge

Re: [GNC] Changing account numbers?

Dan, David

My bad. As David Carlson pointed out the real problem is resetting the
association of the OFX account name to a GnuCash account when importing data
and simply editing the name will likely not do that. I faced this a few
years ago when my credit card was hacked and used fraudulently. In my case I
was fortunate and even though the bank issued a new card and closed down the
old card and the account was ostensibly identified by the card number in
statements etc, in practice the account id used if the OFX files did not
change so importing data continued to work for me. That of course may not be
the case with all banks.