[GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Roger Miskowicz
I am using GC Version 3.2 and trying to reconcile my Credit Card Account
which I started at the beginning of the year with an opening balance.

I would like to reconcile the account from the opening balance but I don't
know how to set the 'starting balance' which happens to be some number that
doesn't seem relevant.

Can the 'starting balance' in 'reconcile' be manuallly set, and if so, how?

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Colin Law
The starting balance in the reconcile start dialog will be the nett
balance of all reconciled transactions so far. Is this the first time
you have reconciled it?  If not then it should be the same as the
ending balance the last time you reconciled, unless you have editted a
reconciled transaction.

Colin

On 30 June 2018 at 13:08, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using GC Version 3.2 and trying to reconcile my Credit Card Account
> which I started at the beginning of the year with an opening balance.
>
> I would like to reconcile the account from the opening balance but I don't
> know how to set the 'starting balance' which happens to be some number that
> doesn't seem relevant.
>
> Can the 'starting balance' in 'reconcile' be manuallly set, and if so, how?

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Roger Miskowicz
Thanks Colin.

Is there anyway I can clear all reconcilation of the the account and start
again from scratch?

Roger

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The starting balance in the reconcile start dialog will be the nett
> balance of all reconciled transactions so far. Is this the first time
> you have reconciled it?  If not then it should be the same as the
> ending balance the last time you reconciled, unless you have editted a
> reconciled transaction.
>
> Colin
>
> On 30 June 2018 at 13:08, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am using GC Version 3.2 and trying to reconcile my Credit Card Account
> > which I started at the beginning of the year with an opening balance.
> >
> > I would like to reconcile the account from the opening balance but I
> don't
> > know how to set the 'starting balance' which happens to be some number
> that
> > doesn't seem relevant.
> >
> > Can the 'starting balance' in 'reconcile' be manuallly set, and if so,
> how?

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Only manually, a transaction at a time.

What happens if you ignore the opening balance, enter the correct closing balance, and reconcile then?

Often, if there's an inconsistency in the opening balance, you can proceed with reconciling, mark your current transactions and any earlier ones that were missed before (such as your opening balance transaction, say), and they balance out.

David

On June 30, 2018, at 8:23 AM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Colin.

Is there anyway I can clear all reconcilation of the the account and start
again from scratch?

Roger

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The starting balance in the reconcile start dialog will be the nett
> balance of all reconciled transactions so far. Is this the first time
> you have reconciled it?  If not then it should be the same as the
> ending balance the last time you reconciled, unless you have editted a
> reconciled transaction.
>
> Colin
>
> On 30 June 2018 at 13:08, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am using GC Version 3.2 and trying to reconcile my Credit Card Account
> > which I started at the beginning of the year with an opening balance.
> >
> > I would like to reconcile the account from the opening balance but I
> don't
> > know how to set the 'starting balance' which happens to be some number
> that
> > doesn't seem relevant.
> >
> > Can the 'starting balance' in 'reconcile' be manuallly set, and if so,
> how?

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Roger Miskowicz
At the beginning of the account I did:

2017-12-31  Opening Balance:  1,691.19

Then with no other transactions I Reconciled with end date 2018-01-01 which
yielded the following result:

     Statement Date: 2018-01-01
    Starting Balance:    1,798.89
      Ending Balance:   1,691.19
Reconciled Balance:   1,798.89
              Difference:     -107.70

With only one entry shouldn't all the balances be identical?

Anyway, in this case I would like to be able to set the starting balance to
1,691.19 then I believe the reconcile might work as I expect?

Am I misunderstanding something?

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:55 AM, D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Only manually, a transaction at a time.
>
> What happens if you ignore the opening balance, enter the correct closing
> balance, and reconcile then?
>
> Often, if there's an inconsistency in the opening balance, you can proceed
> with reconciling, mark your current transactions and any earlier ones that
> were missed before (such as your opening balance transaction, say), and
> they balance out.
>
> David
>
> On June 30, 2018, at 8:23 AM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Colin.
>
> Is there anyway I can clear all reconcilation of the the account and start
> again from scratch?
>
> Roger
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The starting balance in the reconcile start dialog will be the nett
> > balance of all reconciled transactions so far. Is this the first time
> > you have reconciled it?  If not then it should be the same as the
> > ending balance the last time you reconciled, unless you have editted a
> > reconciled transaction.
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > On 30 June 2018 at 13:08, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I am using GC Version 3.2 and trying to reconcile my Credit Card
> Account
> > > which I started at the beginning of the year with an opening balance.
> > >
> > > I would like to reconcile the account from the opening balance but I
> > don't
> > > know how to set the 'starting balance' which happens to be some number
> > that
> > > doesn't seem relevant.
> > >
> > > Can the 'starting balance' in 'reconcile' be manuallly set, and if so,
> > how?
> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Colin Law
What did you see at the start of the reconcile?  You can cancel the
reconcile and start again.

Colin

On 30 June 2018 at 15:00, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At the beginning of the account I did:
>
> 2017-12-31  Opening Balance:  1,691.19
>
> Then with no other transactions I Reconciled with end date 2018-01-01 which
> yielded the following result:
>
>      Statement Date: 2018-01-01
>     Starting Balance:    1,798.89
>       Ending Balance:   1,691.19
> Reconciled Balance:   1,798.89
>               Difference:     -107.70
>
> With only one entry shouldn't all the balances be identical?
>
> Anyway, in this case I would like to be able to set the starting balance to
> 1,691.19 then I believe the reconcile might work as I expect?
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:55 AM, D <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Only manually, a transaction at a time.
>>
>> What happens if you ignore the opening balance, enter the correct closing
>> balance, and reconcile then?
>>
>> Often, if there's an inconsistency in the opening balance, you can proceed
>> with reconciling, mark your current transactions and any earlier ones that
>> were missed before (such as your opening balance transaction, say), and
>> they balance out.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On June 30, 2018, at 8:23 AM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Colin.
>>
>> Is there anyway I can clear all reconcilation of the the account and start
>> again from scratch?
>>
>> Roger
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > The starting balance in the reconcile start dialog will be the nett
>> > balance of all reconciled transactions so far. Is this the first time
>> > you have reconciled it?  If not then it should be the same as the
>> > ending balance the last time you reconciled, unless you have editted a
>> > reconciled transaction.
>> >
>> > Colin

>> Account

>> > don't
>> > that

>> > how?
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Are there really no other transactions in the account besides the opening balance?

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 7:00 AM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> At the beginning of the account I did:
>
> 2017-12-31  Opening Balance:  1,691.19
>
> Then with no other transactions I Reconciled with end date 2018-01-01 which
> yielded the following result:
>
>     Statement Date: 2018-01-01
>    Starting Balance:    1,798.89
>      Ending Balance:   1,691.19
> Reconciled Balance:   1,798.89
>              Difference:     -107.70
>
> With only one entry shouldn't all the balances be identical?
>
> Anyway, in this case I would like to be able to set the starting balance to
> 1,691.19 then I believe the reconcile might work as I expect?
>
> Am I misunderstanding something?
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:55 AM, D <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Only manually, a transaction at a time.
>>
>> What happens if you ignore the opening balance, enter the correct closing
>> balance, and reconcile then?
>>
>> Often, if there's an inconsistency in the opening balance, you can proceed
>> with reconciling, mark your current transactions and any earlier ones that
>> were missed before (such as your opening balance transaction, say), and
>> they balance out.
>>
>> David
>>
>> On June 30, 2018, at 8:23 AM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Colin.
>>
>> Is there anyway I can clear all reconcilation of the the account and start
>> again from scratch?
>>
>> Roger
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The starting balance in the reconcile start dialog will be the nett
>>> balance of all reconciled transactions so far. Is this the first time
>>> you have reconciled it?  If not then it should be the same as the
>>> ending balance the last time you reconciled, unless you have editted a
>>> reconciled transaction.
>>>
>>> Colin

>> Account

>>> don't
>>> that

>>> how?
>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

Roger Miskowicz
Not sure what you mean but here is the dialog box.

Because there is a difference I have to cancel and start again.

Is there any that I can force all transactions in the account to be
unreconciled?

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What did you see at the start of the reconcile?  You can cancel the
> reconcile and start again.
>
> Colin
>
> On 30 June 2018 at 15:00, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > At the beginning of the account I did:
> >
> > 2017-12-31  Opening Balance:  1,691.19
> >
> > Then with no other transactions I Reconciled with end date 2018-01-01
> which
> > yielded the following result:
> >
> >      Statement Date: 2018-01-01
> >     Starting Balance:    1,798.89
> >       Ending Balance:   1,691.19
> > Reconciled Balance:   1,798.89
> >               Difference:     -107.70
> >
> > With only one entry shouldn't all the balances be identical?
> >
> > Anyway, in this case I would like to be able to set the starting balance
> > 1,691.19 then I believe the reconcile might work as I expect?
> >
> > Am I misunderstanding something?
> >
> > On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:55 AM, D <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Only manually, a transaction at a time.
> >>
> >> What happens if you ignore the opening balance, enter the correct
> closing
> >> balance, and reconcile then?
> >>
> >> Often, if there's an inconsistency in the opening balance, you can
> proceed
> >> with reconciling, mark your current transactions and any earlier ones
> that
> >> were missed before (such as your opening balance transaction, say), and
> >> they balance out.
> >>
> >> David
> >>
> >> On June 30, 2018, at 8:23 AM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks Colin.
> >>
> >> Is there anyway I can clear all reconcilation of the the account and
> start
> >> again from scratch?
> >>
> >> Roger

> >> Account
> balance.

> number

> so,

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> >> -----

image.png (32K) Download Attachment
image.png (10K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

John Ralls-2
I mean in the register that you’re trying to reconcile. How many transactions are in the register?
If it is more than one, are any of them reconciled?

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 7:56 AM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure what you mean but here is the dialog box.
>

> Because there is a difference I have to cancel and start again.
>
> Is there any that I can force all transactions in the account to be
> unreconciled?
>
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> What did you see at the start of the reconcile?  You can cancel the
>> reconcile and start again.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> On 30 June 2018 at 15:00, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> At the beginning of the account I did:
>>>
>>> 2017-12-31  Opening Balance:  1,691.19
>>>
>>> Then with no other transactions I Reconciled with end date 2018-01-01
>> which
>>> yielded the following result:
>>>
>>>     Statement Date: 2018-01-01
>>>    Starting Balance:    1,798.89
>>>      Ending Balance:   1,691.19
>>> Reconciled Balance:   1,798.89
>>>              Difference:     -107.70
>>>
>>> With only one entry shouldn't all the balances be identical?
>>>
>>> Anyway, in this case I would like to be able to set the starting balance
>>> 1,691.19 then I believe the reconcile might work as I expect?

>> closing

>> proceed
>> that

>> start

>> balance.

>> number

>> so,

>>> -----

Re: [GNC] Change Reconcile Starting Balance

I'm glad you've fixed it.

On June 30, 2018, at 3:04 PM, Roger Miskowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have fixed my account but not sure about the root cause.

I fixed it by manually, item-by-item, clearing all reconciles which set the  Starting Balance  to zero.  After which I was able to reconcile producing results I expected.

Thanks for helping me fix it.

Roger

P.S.  A nice feature would be the abililty to select a bunch of items to set or clear reconciles.